Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Come on. This is a new IP. Maybe this game will not be defined by the idiosyncrasies and hilarious excesses of their own most well known franchises?

... Nah

A story of betrayal conspiracy and redemption. A gripping tale that will have you on the edge of your seat all the way to the alien invasion that God sent as punishment for inventing anime. Are you an epic enough hacker to Occupy Heaven?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

WindmillSlayer posted:

Is this good or bad? I'm not up to my games journalism in jokes.

Triple A devs very rarely drop embargoes until the day of or the day before on big name titles especially new IPs. Them lifting in on Thursday means they aren't particularly concerned with it getting bad reviews to effect the sale of it.

So it should be good news.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I looked at the recommended system specs on Steam and gently caress that poo poo. My PC could only play this on low settings, it'll look better on PS4 for me and the frame rate will be higher.

I'm going to assume those are completely made up as a lot of specs are. A lot of the load is probably on that new lighting thing they're using for the PC version so that can probably be toggled off and you'll barely notice.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 19, 2014

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

I said come in! posted:

What happened to just releasing one SKU? Why do we need all of these different editions of the game?

Welcome to the next gen. Your game is only good if you need to refer to a spreadsheet AND a flowchart before determining what to buy.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Devs have said a 670 is enough to play it on ultra (at most likely 30 fps), if the CPU is there, specifically one with a passmark score of 9000 or more.

I have an incredibly hard time believing this to be true.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Biggest human being Ever posted:

I don't know if it's true, but it is what they said. http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=822274&page=1

Oh I know it's what they said I just have a really hard time believing it to be the case. If it is the case this game is hilariously badly optimized to require a midrange GPU but a new CPU. Why in the world are they using Passmark scores to determine if your CPU is good enough anyways?

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 21, 2014

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Crappy Jack posted:

No way man, they'd just hack your battery and overclock your phone's CPU using a backdoor worm to upload a virus onto the cell phone mainframe.

The firewall has failed, incoming logic bomb, brace for impact!

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Opened the video to the credits. They're trying super to be Hacking Bad with that music aren't they? Hope the streamer puts the video up. Don't even wanted to be tempted to get interested in the plot.

Credit spoilers in case anyone cares.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 22, 2014

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Eh, not enough time for anything interesting to happen. Just the opening sequence and some assassin's creed style story mission bullshit. Seems tolerable enough, but I'm here primarily for driving and hacking and shooting. Maybe I'm the odd man out, but I'm not expecting anything from the story.

I'm in the same boat. If anyone expects a Ubisoft open world story to be anything other than awful they deserve disappointment.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Maybe freemode, no cops, no pedestrians? Or maybe something even more interesting.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1w064v_watch-dogs-digital-trip-alone-xbox-360-version_videogames

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

precision posted:

But the Ezio trilogy had a great story. :confused:

Yes Ezio's story was interesting. Much like all Ubisoft games they start out strong then it's magical space gods. If you look at Ezio's story then compare it to the rest of Ubisofts stories it feels completely different but if you include anything involving Desmond it becomes distinctively Ubiesque.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

limited posted:

Anyway, I've got to admit I was expecting WD to be a steaming pile of crap after being delayed so many times, but I'm actually pretty drat interested.

So... once?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Croccers posted:

The funny thing is the only thing they need to do to make it better than GTA5's minigames is to just give the player a reward instead of a kick in the guts like nearly every thing activity in GTA5 :colbert:

There wasn't really any activities that were any fun anyways and all the fun ones were one time only sorta deals.

ethanol posted:

This looks... bad? I known conan has a penchant for ruining video games but the game looks bland and uninspired on its own. Really hoping I'm wrong though

I don't think you like open world games then.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Hezzy posted:

This game runs like arse even on lower settings. I've got a ridiculous rig and it's struggling. Some serious optimisation issues

What are your spec? Like AC4 arse or worse?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

How are so many of you playing early?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Palpek posted:

It's because people actually played it.

So far a lot of people who have played it seem to enjoy it. It's pretty much just goons who watched the trailers that say its bad.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Palpek posted:

Goons in this thread will praise it because they don't want to feel bad about their purchase and this is a hugbox. Opinions take a nose-dive once you read them in other threads/not here. Nobody says it's a bad game mind you, just that it's mostly uninspired and people stop caring after 3-4 hours and go back to more engaging titles.

Is this in opinion born from playing it?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Exactly what is so terrible about the driving? What would you compare it to?

The only open-world driving I would call crap was GTAIV's (not counting joke entries like Deadly Premonition), so I don't have much basis of comparison.

From what I have very briefly played on a friend's PS4 copy and from the streams I've watched it's Sleeping Dogs driving. No weight to any of the cars.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

w00tuberjedi posted:

It's floaty to the point that it is borderline impossible to direct your car to where you would like it to go. Every vehicle handles like it is weightless and has blocks of ice for tires. There is no grip. Every turn is a way over turn. There is an entire set of side quests dedicated to vehicles chases...

Yeah Sleeping Dogs driving is considerably better than this.

Yeah definitely haven't seen or experienced this dunno what to tell you.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

There is so little consensus amongst this game's early adopters I'd swear they're members of Parliament.

I wouldn't really consider myself an early adopter I played maybe an hour of it. And watched too many hours of it.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Alright so I've spent a good chunk of today just driving around on the PC version, with a 360 controller and the driving really isn't that bad. If you treat the it like GTAIV you'll be able to drive with no crashes easily. That being said I definitely agree with what Orv said. It feels like they were adding a more sim like driving system to the game then decided against it so we have this not quite arcade not quite sim thing.

For the most part it works fine but there are definitely moments that the driving feels very off. For the most part it's pretty fun but driving is definitely the weak spot.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

The driving is all over the map for me. Some cars are a blast to drive and anything that looks like a sports car is just terrible.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

The secret to shooting in this game is to not be bad and use Assault Rifles. Pistols kill on head shots and that's all you should be aiming for. :colbert:

Palpek posted:

I don't think he meant "Steve Urkel firing an AK-47" to literally apply to an AK-47 but as a comparison to how gunplay works as a whole.

That's not how WDs shooting works though. The only rifle that has had too much recoil that I've run into is the AK.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 25, 2014

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

DaveKap posted:

It's not a gimmick because you can't shoot out of your car (as far as I can tell) so it's the only way you can manage to actually stop people during chase sequences.

Also, I can't remember the last open world, sandbox, driving with guns game that didn't let you shoot out of the cars. It's an interesting but odd choice which helps the hacking shine with importance.

It'd be pretty OP if you could shoot out of windows. Shredding tires works differently as nailing one of them causes them to get out of the car.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So can the so can the convoys/gang hideouts/contracts be repeated? The Progression menu mentions completing all of them but that seems really stupid if there's a limit on them.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Horrorosaurus posted:

This was kind of my point too, they presented it as live gameplay and not just screenshots, it's lying in my book. Maybe I don't look at hype stuff so often so it might well be this is common practice and if that is true, could one of you maybe link to another example where a hype gameplay video versus the actual product had this big a gap between them graphically, in favor of the hype video?

I'm sorry but what in the world is the difference? If the intent was to have those graphics but it ran like poo poo on everyone's systems so they changed it is it still lying?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Spiky Ooze posted:

My main interest in this game is the hacking mechanics. Anyone get a ton of hours in on that comment on it? Is there any neat hacking combo type stuff you can figure out to solve missions or is it basically "press the button to play a trick haha you really got them by pressing that button" no strategy at all.

It's pretty limited in strategy but it's there. Overt things that eliminate dudes will immediately put them into look for you mode, whereas options that can't kill a dude will not.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

You can do that? gently caress!

If you look at your cards you also get the probability of the hand winning as well as monitoring one of your opponents stress levels.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Still don't have my code from Uplay for the Nvidia deal.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

When you do the nvidia thing you get a code that you use to purchase the game on uplay for $0.00. You never get a uplay activation code. The game should just show up on uplay.

Yeah it wasn't showing up either, tried restarting Uplay to fix it didn't work. Deleted the "review" copy .exe and it sprang into existence.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So got my code tried to activate it while the game was installing, said it was already in use proceeded to boot me off and now it says Uplay is down. :wtc:

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

dpack_1 posted:

Where in the world are you?

I never had the 'review' copy and still nothing showing up, and if i look at the email i got confirming the 'purchase' of the promo it says the release date is Fri 21st Nov 2013 instead of Tue 27th May 2014 like some people are seeing?

East coast US

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So yeah awesome. I now am banned from my own account for 60 minutes since I tried to enter the code they gave me, three times over a period of ten minutes.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Its funny that this game looks like a 2007 game, and plays like a 2007 game with a ton of QTE's!

I think there are two QTEs in the entire game. The longest one being two buttons!

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Hacking is one gigantic QTE. Hacking is basically the most boring form of sv_cheats 1

Furthermore I love the fact that AMD users are going to be rammed in the rear end because Ubi and Nvidia are barring any optimization. Gonna be a great year for PC gaming, not only do we get the scraps from a "next gen" game but we also get graphics card companies forcefully crippling user experience.

So any game with a take down system is one gigantic QTE. Got it.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

ScienceAndMusic posted:

I think the biggest issue most players are having is the fact that the game doesn't really do anything exceptional on its own. The city is OK at best, but the lack of interaction with the environment (I'm looking at you instantly stopping trains) is a let down (clarification edit: yes the game enviornment is interactable, because of hacking, but it is far less interactive and immersive than a game whose sole focus is this very interaction should be). The shooting is ok but done better in other open world games. The driving is quite honestly some of the worst ever, even worst than GTA IV and that's a feat. The invasion stuff is neat, and a good idea, and the hacking is a fun novelty but it wears thin very quickly.

Nothing holds water, its a game with a decent enough idea but it is executed so poorly I just don't see it being a hit. The first few hours are definitely very fun but it wears thin so quickly, its very hard to justify the cost. Not to mention the story line is pathetically weak and cliche. Everything this game offers is done better elsewhere, except for hacking.

The biggest offense and quite frankly the reason I think players should avoid it is how AMD has been blocked from optimizing the game effecitvely punishing users who bought AMD cards. That is unacceptable in my mind.

Cool. Now we can all bask in your post and when the new game sheen wears off (I've beaten the game and my save file won't transfer over so I'm going for round two) you can come back and we'll all kiss your feet for refusing to listen to your wise judgement. Meanwhile I think the Titanfall thread needs you.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Palpek posted:

Honestly it only misses his loving dog lying there with him with a paw on his heart to be more obnoxious, Christmas really? When will games have better writing that doesn't have to pull things like this.

When their target audience isn't gamers.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

ScienceAndMusic posted:

I have changed my tune. Originally I went into this game with a polished open world perspective and was very disappointed.

You must have forgotten Ubisoft made this game.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

WastedJoker posted:

Who decides that something is triple AAA? Because that seems like total bullshit.

Idiots that have been using a marketing term for ""we spent a lot of money making this game"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Falcon2001 posted:

I'd agree. 8/10, would recommend for a sale purchase or something like that.

Also, Ubisoft made ACIV and I thought goons liked ACIV?

I love ACIV but I would never call it polished.

• Locked thread