Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Charles Martel posted:

What does someone whom has never played an Assassin's Creed game and has very briefly played a Far Cry game have to expect from Watch_Dogs?

And a game that goes absolutely bonkshit crazy after the first half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Orv posted:

Joking or not, it probably will be. I'm looking at Watch Dogs as a sort of Assassin's Creed 1 situation. It may end up a complete mess, ultimately mediocre and not that great, but it'll probably have a lot of promise that will (hopefully) be born out in Watch Dogs 2: All Of Our Internets.

Excuse me, but AC1 was a pretty good game, with a tight story and good, progressing gameplay.

And not loving around with worthless money.

:colbert:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Orv posted:

On its own merits, it's a fine game, but compared to 2 it's basically the idiot kid brother. :colbert:

I would honestly say that 2 is worse than one but that is probably just me.
I like the concept of "Go stab that dude for that reason. Done? Good, here is some stuff to stab the next dude even better."

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Orv posted:

Give me 1 with interesting missions instead of "do three minigames" and you've got my vote.

The seven (or nine?) assassinations that are led up to?

e: Look, I am not saying it's a perfect game. The side missions are on the boring side, yes. But it is just a much more smooth and progressing experience than getting distracted with literally everything else.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 18, 2014

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Charles Martel posted:

So if I understand this correctly: A game that suffers from an originality paradox where it's best to just strap in and enjoy the ride of madness?

Strap in tight son, because where you are going, crazy gets a new meaning.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Lars Blitzer posted:

Welp, I'm off to Toronto for the launch party. I'm all packed, see?

Where is the stealth scarf?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

hopterque posted:

Why would you even write out an endgame spoiler for a game that isn't out yet though.

Like, I don't even really know who that is?

Probably sidekick number 52?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Okay so what the gently caress. My machine is not weak, in any regards, but as soon as I start driving around the city, it starts to become an unplayable lagfest.

Are there any settings I miss, because I turned everything extrmely low, and it still stutters.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Sindai posted:

Free up as much memory as you can by closing everything else. Other than that everyone has that problem, the engine just seems to do a really bad job of streaming in assets in the background on the PC.

Do the PS4/xbone versions have this problem?

Since my father bought it for PS3 and I played it already there - no. Not at all.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Make sure you have the most recent drivers. I had the same issue until I updated to the drivers that came out right before launch and it worked a lot better. It is just awful at continually loading in more of the city for some reason

Holy poo poo thank you, that actually fixed it.
Christ, the last time I fixed a problem by updating my graphic drivers...that was 8 years ago.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Guess you haven't played many PC games in the last 8 years because its a pretty common thing. PC gaming 101 is "game problem? update drivers. Still having a problem?"

Carmack had a whole thing at his last keynote where he went on and on about how much special-case logic there are in card drivers just to enable different hacks so different games play correctly.

If nothing else both NVidia and ATI are pretty good about pushing new driver builds which specifically target new game releases and see performance increases of ~20-30% FPS, so you're screwing yourself if you're not staying up to date.

That's why they have annoying update programs that try to get you to update your drivers every week now, like loving java.

No I do play video games every day on my PC. But I guess I said that wrong - that was the only time I had to specifically fix a problem by doing that.
All the other times it was just on the side I guess.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

One of the privacy invasions I listened to a girl in the bathroom rambling about herself before hearing what sounded like a rope and a cut off gurgle.

I went :stare: before turning off the invasion. This game makes you really, really uncomfortable at times.

Or like the dead guy laying on the floor and his son asking if he is okay, talking about christmas and the kids.

It seems a bit out of place, but at the same time it kinda fits...still.... :sigh:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Randler posted:

Don't leave out the "best" details. The son is even talking about how he will pick him up after work and the profiler identification for the father says "Cancer in remission".

Yeah, It is really loving sad. And the games makes me feel like a dick despite me having done nothing too wrong.

Stop making me feel bad for something you suggest.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Ahahaha, oh god. The leak video of the guy swining his dick around in front of the windows, and ctOS is scanning for yoga poses and comes to the conclusion "Unknown activity."

This game sometimes :allears:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

mysterious frankie posted:

My favorite funny invasion is the extremely pissed off fedora enthusiast who is on the phone bitching out customer service about being sent the wrong $400 dress for his big titted doll.

You can't even tell fiction from real life apart anymore in this game.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I like the gunplay, simply because of the fact that hitting headshots at longe range with your pistol is pretty hard. That combined with the fact that the recoil is actually pretty strong. That makes the gun just feel pretty powerfull.

In addition to the fact they sound pretty good.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

5thMouseButton posted:

Quoting the Steam page it looks like Deluxe Edition owners get "Perk: Driving boost: More Hit Points to Vehicles" & "Hacking Boost (Add 1 Battery Slot)" in addition to extra missions, weapons, & outfits. In online modes that sounds like an advantage to have extra perks other, non deluxe players, don't have access to. Kinda lame.

It is basically a cheat you can buy. From the developer.

Remember the time when they were free and came in consoles?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

The thing with batman is that he is not a difficult character. He is far from it. :nolan: did a good job with setting him aparat from everything else, but only becuase literally everything around batman is batshit insane.

So Aiden. They thought "Yeah that is cool as well." but then couldn't make the world crazy enough. You see it in BadBoy's design. And the whole "They system knows everything" is an old schtick as well.

So yeah, they hosed up.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Croccers posted:

Aiden can be the main character but make the player be Jordi doing all the awesome gunman and odd-jobs because Aiden is a lazy goon sitting in his base.

Or go gently caress it and make Badboy the main character. No shooting, only hacking, etc.

I mean, you can effectively take out many persons with it. Why even use a gun.

She is more of an character than aiden. I have not finsihed the game yet but she clearly wants into Aiden's pants, right?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

ShineDog posted:

It's going to forever annoy me that Aidens phone makes the sound of a phone vibrating on a table, not a phone vibrating in a pocket.

It even vibrates when he calls people.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

ChibiSoma posted:

Are all of these 'look into a room' side quest things awful?

So far I've seen the old man dead on the ground with a phone call about how his son wants to move him in with the rest of the family, and how his grandkids want to see him again. A nerd rating ladies on his computer in a '5 of 10, would bang if desperate' way. And of course a topless woman playing russian roulette with her husband. Gotta get the tits in there for the young'uns.

I've heard there's a Kinect one at some point, and that one sounded at least interesting. So far they've all just been kinda sad and gross. :(

You didn't have the fat lady hanging herself yet? Lucky.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

A very well put together and fair review of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnwVvAviNVk

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Somebody already brought it up, that cameras are weird. I mean, yes, you cannot be detected for some reason - either the scarf which would be stupid because everyone in the winter would be undetecable, or he hacked the system or so.

But would ctOS not cause a much larger alarm when there is a person it can't detect?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Hel posted:

If it triggered an alarm every time it couldn't recognize a face it would trigger constantly because of distortion in windows, makeup shadows and bad angles or even if someone is a tourist that isn't in the system yet. But yeah, you avoid recognition because you hacked the system, if you look at yourself in a camera you are covered in mosaic, so Aiden is removing himself from the cameras in real time. Or he could have hacked the CTOS to scan for the symbol on his scarf and just blur the area around, let the system work for you, especially since th profiler is something he has had access to for some time.

I know some artist even made makeup patterns that gently caress up facial recognition software, so avoiding automatic tracking isn't impossible, though one could just forward the picture to a real live human and have them clean it up.

The ctOS system can do a facial scan from the back of somebody's head :colbert:
Sorry that I am calling bullshit on that.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Jiro Kage posted:

I always assumed that he was undetectable because somehow they had hacked the system, for lack of a better term. Sure, it could be the scarf but no matter when you are seen it always comes up as an error.

A part that confused me a bit was the prison level. Yeah, he had a guy that was going to give him his phone back. However, during the intake process what seems like a police officer enters his name as John Smith or something, even though it said Aiden Pearce right before that as an identifier. So are they implying someone on the inside there was rooting for him or something? Or was this something that Jordi supposedly set up that I missed.

So he hacked the system. And the system must obviously recognize something since it says "Facial Recognition Error."

Are you telling me that Aiden hacked himself out the system and then disabled every single security measure that would notice that and inform someone else?

That is a bit far fetched.

e: Wouldn't they realize that they have to look for a pixelated guy on the camera? Especially since it seems that literally every single person in the world can be recognized?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

eXXon posted:

Also why does my screen glitch out when getting hacked? I don't have retinal implants or Google glass, do I?

That is how hacking works, stop questioning it.

Or it might actually show that Aiden only lives in his own little world, maybe trapped in an asylum and he only imagines all this bullshit.

Would certainly explain a few things.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Megazver posted:

The terrible, terrible artifacting on the oh-so-tragic-niece-death-scene that they don't use in any other scene in the game, for example.

Oh god don't even remind of that poo poo. That was loving stupid.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

New thread title.

I think it is a bit long.

But seriously. I had unironically and literally troubles even realizing what is going in. The first thing I though that it looked like one of those creepy gifs, but only after actually processing that this was the effect they are going for.

Hey, Aiden, memories do not work that way.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Motherfucker posted:

How to salvage Watch Dogs for the sequal.

Aiden Pierce, wracked with grief from being a murderous hypocrite fuckwit disappears up a goddamn mountain for six years, in these six years CTOS does a massive government sponsored rollout all over the loving place and becomes more tightly interwoven with cities (meaning in a practical sense; tons more cool poo poo, stuff like automated delivery trucks that can be conveniently hack'd.)

Six years later Aiden Pierce comes down off a god drat mountain and has in that time A) grown a massive beard and B) become Spider Jerusalem from Transmetropolitan, in fact the whole world has become Transmetropolitan, in fact, just loving make a Transmetropolitan game you loving fuckers.

like skyrim with phones - ign

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Her voice is like that because even Ubi realized that if they would imply torture and rape this piece of poo poo game would be too loving dark and edgy and basically end up as a fanfic.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Someone tell me why Aiden reload assault rifles so loving stupid when you aim down the sights.

Why would you tilt your gun away from your other hand before pulling the magazine out.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

You can't stick IEDs to people.
Why can't you stick IEDs to people?

Because that would be fun.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Capn Beeb posted:

Cause it's DYNAMIC AS gently caress BRO

:bustem:

(Because game devs think people that shoot for a living actually do this stupid poo poo and is thus a Cool Dude thing to do.)

Okay, look. If he would do that it would be kinda cool.
But what he does he turns the gun to the side like that guy does, then uses his LEFT hand to take the magazine out of it while holding it away from his hand.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Kylra posted:

So I got to the end. Aiden is basically cyberbatman, but the gadgets are only software. He even gets his own batcave on an island in the middle of the city.

I also like how holding Maurice for the entirety of the game amounts to almost nothing. And that defalt guy only gets two missions. And he is a prominent DJ of a club.

You realize that the only thing that makes Batman a good character is the crazyness around him? Take that away and put Batman in a really normal city like...chicago...and batman becomes a really, realy terrible character.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

NeoSeeker posted:

I realize that the game looks incredible on the PC, I'm just wondering if the PS3 version is poo poo or not.

I have plenty of other games that have way better graphics than this that I can appreciate the graphics in more than this game.
At the end of the day Metro makes you appreciate the graphics because it stuffs them in your face. This game is a freeroamer, I'm less interested in what the devs want me to pay attention to and way more interested in my own personal little agenda of chaos and destruction.

I have the PS3 version and I can confirm it's poo poo.
Don't play this game. Read the script and be happy.

http://playthroughline.com/scripts/watch_dogs/

Seriously tho', read it. It's loving histerical, and even more so when you already played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Buy the upgrade that shows interesting things in pedestrians and drive through the city.

• Locked thread