Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

thorsilver posted:

Honestly, I love driving in iRacing but I've never felt as ripped off by a game before. Subscription fee plus outrageous prices for content, none of which is playable offline, no mods are possible, etc. Basically it has all the properties of games I normally refuse to buy due to anti-consumer practices, but I got sucked in after playing it a bunch at my friend's place and really enjoying it.

Now that my wheel (which I got given for free from a generous friend) mysteriously broke and I can't afford to replace it, the oval content I bought is essentially useless, and I'm having some pretty severe buyer's remorse here. I still have fun tooling around in practice sessions with a PS3 controller, but when my sub runs out I probably won't re-sub. Turns out I really can't afford this hobby, and I wish I'd thought things through a little more before giving iRacing a bunch of money.

For that reason I don't generally recommend iRacing to people interested in sim racing, but direct them to Assetto Corsa or Game Stock Car instead, because then they can see how they get on with the general idea of the genre without spending a lot of money.

Iracing pretty much get's away with all it's poo poo because there isn't really an alternative to a good online sim, or a good oval sim for that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Lord Crapulus posted:

Race canceled: http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/3255311.page

I still get to run it in a league tomorrow, so yay?

people gettin pissed up in there.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

KingShibby posted:

Hypothetical post, but how much would you pay for the Le Mans course in iRacing? I can only imagine just how resource-intensive it would be, but drat would that make for some fun races.

14.95 exactly.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Torabi posted:

Needs more cars at once for maximum pile ups and wrecks.

Also for your enjoyment and/or cringing. Enjoy this clip from my second race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8URTH-AZBoE

ohh man, you've not seen nothing yet. Wait till Charlotte.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Ugh gently caress the incident rating system. I got disqualified from a legends race because people kept bumping me and giving me 4x's. I think everyone forgot week 13 ended.

Funnily enough I had a street stock race without a single wreck.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Torabi posted:

So against my own better judgement, again, I bought the DW12 as well. I don't own any additional tacks yet since there is no use to get them really. I love the Nascar truck, it is loving awesome and the DW12 is cool too. Was told it is supposedly easier to handle with a 360 controller. I'll post my results in a bit.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Play...riving+force+gt

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

thehacker0 posted:

I've been kinda curious why everybody loves the truck series races so much. Whats the allure? Super fun tracks or trucks are great to drive or what?

They race every hour, and they're a lot more fun to drive then the gen-6 or Nationwide car.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Torabi posted:

I still can't drive the truck properly for obvious reasons but when I bought it I was still skeptical. Then I hit the throttle for the first time.

It's awesome and it makes me sad that I can't drive it.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-PlayStation-Driving-Force-Racing-3/dp/B0015HYPOO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1JJCENT29SFQAW740M0Z

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Torabi posted:

Don't worry guys. I'll probably buy a dfgt as soon as I move out again in like two weeks. That way I can have fun driving properly in iRacing and failing all of my classes.

The g27 is already too much for me so I'll pass on that fanatec setup. :v: The dfgt isn't all that expensive for what you get but it kinda sucks knowing that it costs as much as the g27 in the US.

DFGT is great, it's not about how expensive your setup is. It's all about you. iirc a lot of the pro guys use them still.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

I've never had problems with C street stock the few times I've done it. And plus there is yellows to weed out the dumbasses early on.

And plus South Boston loving owns.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Torabi posted:

I knew I was going to crash way before but since it's the carburator cup I said gently caress it and tried to drive through. :v:

Obligatory video for that situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e77ybggTHHg

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Torabi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcULOGC4Jqg

I felt like crashing after practicing a bit and then this happened. I had to unplug my wheel and it kept going until iRacing eventually crashed. :ohdear:

Think that's gonna need more then a Sawzall.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

The Orange Mage posted:

You know I'm resubbing when it releases and running a Legends Enduro there, right? :thumbsup:

I'll one up you with Legends, Silver Crown, Late Model, and Street Stock class race there.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Nerdrock posted:

Yeah, there's an increased necessity for seat-feel in karts that's likely nearly impossible to reproduce.. even moreso on asphalt.

Went to an indoor electric track at the Galleria Mall in Buffalo, NY after drinking a bunch of beers with some friends for my birthday a few months ago, and I have to say that it's a legit racing experience that's ridiculously fun.

We're getting an electric track here in the spring, and this makes me even more excited for it. Can't wait to a true hero.

Also the Driving Force GT will do you just fine, it's not the best, but it gets the job done.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

When I get money I might get this bundle for Iracing/ps4 poo poo? You guys think it's good?

http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-...s=thrustmasters

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Slickdrac posted:

:stare:

That could be interesting.

Not telling yall what to do because I don't play right now but you should this

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Oxford plains is a lovely track in late models, especially with Laps traffic.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

My god jesus. I ran the D car at Martinsville. I've never been out of rhythm for so many consecutive laps that I simply stopped racing before. Qualified 6th in the top split, was running 5th with no issue at all. Then on lap 10 of 60, I miss a corner. Ahh come on man, make it up. Miss the next. Miss the next. Now I'm just in my head. One after another. Next thing I know it's lap 25 and I'm running 10th and the rest of my race is just "let's lock em up into every corner because this race is over." Bad, bad, bad drive. Bad Stripe.

That's Martinsville for you. Lose your rhythm there and you're 100 percent hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Silver crown is really freaking awesome on road courses.

• Locked thread