Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Thyrork posted:

gently caress the Sword of Truth books. That is all.

Amen brother. I picked up the first one after Legend of the Seeker was canceled and was totally unprepared for the rape rape rape in there. It does explain the leather dominatrix outfits and magic dildos, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Just finished the book and loving cheered when Michael kicked the gate off the hinges and went after Nick. So awesome :)

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Wade Wilson posted:

Lord Raith killed Dresden's mom, not sure about his dad.

I know the show isn't canon or anything, but there it was pretty clear that Justin killed his father and put him in a bunch of lovely foster homes so that he could rescue him and be Harry's hero.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

treeboy posted:

in the show he's also Harry's Uncle on his mother's side, which afaik is also made up.

And a dragon moved his apartment to the nevernever, the actresses for Murphy and Susan were swapped, etc. I get that they changed all sorts of stuff needlessly, but in Ghost Story Harry talks about how he practically worshipped Justin even though he constantly hurt him. We know Justin was a master manipulator already, so it wouldn't be a stretch for him to have Harry and Elaine's parents killed if he was looking to enthrall a pair of starborn.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

Except the fact that we now have WoJ that McCoy asked Justin to train Harry

:wtc: Where did this happen?

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I know that Little Chicago got wrecked because it was obviously a bad idea from a writing perspective but man was that a frustrating fizzle of a plot.

Heh remember the belt buckle from Fool Moon? :v:

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

ZorajitZorajit posted:

[quote]My working theory is that the Goodman Gray was indeed the pissed off inmate Dresden spoke with with doing PARKOUR! in the intro. It's been mentioned by word of Jim that Harry may let them out for 'work release'[/spoiler]

That doesn't really fly since he was free for what's implied to be a long time before Kringle told Harry about him, certainly long enough to build up a sizable reputation doing jobs.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

TenaciousJ posted:

The premise is fine but unlike the Dresden Files, the author never improves and retreads the same kind of humor too much. Around book 4 I decided the series just isn't going anywhere.

Was that the book he skipped forward 10 years just to avoid the sidekick's training without so much as a montage?

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

WarLocke posted:

Has to be the fifth, I just finished the fourth and it was the one about Coyote and the skinwalkers.

Welp, guess I should have spoilered that :v: Sorry dude.

Back to the point, it really does show the difference between the two authors. We very much see Molly go from Warlock to Apprentice to Warlock again to the Winter Lady, where Graniule (however you spell it) goes from barely an Apprentice to a full Druid with 10 years of practice between books.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Exmond posted:

I just realized that Binder refused Lasciel/Hannah as well! Maybe Lasciel is losing her touch?

I just assumed she lied :v:

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion that Binder was one of Jim's secondary City of Heroes characters (a summoner).

I always picture him as the guy who plays Crowley on Supernatural, only using the sleazy delivery he had on Firefly.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

I thought it was at least as good as, say, the first Dresden book.

You're not inspiring confidence with that statement :v:

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

SpookyLizard posted:

IfLester Freamon did police work in chicago instead of baltimore, hed have been dumped in SI instead of the pawn shop unit. Lester probably wouldve had a few shotgun shells loaded with rocksalt though too.

Goddamn, now I want HBO to make a Dresden Files/The Wire crossover, complete with McNulty banging white court vamps, Bunk arguing with Lea and Rawls being an rear end in a top hat to everyone.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Just buzzed through the latest Rivers of London book. I enjoyed it, but other than the twist at the end was pretty underwhelmed.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The protagonist in Rivers of London is seriously the worst part of the books. He's just so ineffectual, so dumb (sometimes intentionally, at least according to the author), and surrounded by people who are way more effective and interesting than he is.

I'm just hoping for a Nightingale in WW2 spinoff. After the scene at the farm in the last book I would love to see a group of the Isaacs open up on the nazis :getin:

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

torgeaux posted:

But this is all a weakness going forward not a strength. Dresden, local do gooder was what was lovable. Dresden superhero in supervillain universe may be entertaining, but it's no longer Dresden. It's not growth (as a story) it's radical change. I enjoyed cold days, but it wasn't improvement. It wasn't as bad as ghost story (Jesus, the star trek nerd crap sucked so hard), but it was a step back from the best. And sadly, I think you're right on where we're going, but I'm going to miss the urban fiction that was harry Dresden.

You should check out the comics. Some of the early ones were pretty meh, but War Cry has been good so far.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Renegret posted:

I recently signed up for Amazon prime and was going browsing through their instant video selection. I came across the Dresden Files TV series and figured, why not?

...To anybody reading this post who has not seen the show, please, don't make the same mistake I made.

It's terrible in pretty much every way with the exception of casting Paul Blackthorne as Harry.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Azuth0667 posted:

Speaking of Molly and the Carpenter's house:

I wonder if the angel's that watch the property will bother her as she becomes more fae like? Goodman Grey was working for Harry and part of the team yet they still intimidated him enough to prevent him from entering.

Which is odd, because all sorts of bad poo poo has wondered onto the Carpenter's property.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Any thoughts on what Molly's got going on, using a cell phone and all? Even Harry can't do something like that if I'm remembering right.

She's farie, yo. They can use technology.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

I can't really tell. In my case, I started reading Dresden AFTER I got into the Wheel of Time, so it's harder for me to notice anything that isn't Jordan-esque in length.

I could ignore the tug's braid/smooth's dress stuff in WoT far easier than I could the nipple fetish going on when Dresden is narrating. I get that Butcher is illustrating how much of a goon Harry is, but holy poo poo enough already.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Blasphemeral posted:

Look at the bright side, though:
This long period gives people a good long time to forget the TV series and potentially drum up support for a new set of book-accurate cinematic movies or a new, HBO-quality TV show.

Only if we get Paul Blackthorne back as Harry. The rest of the show was poo poo but he was great, especially given what he was working with.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Ok, having to wait for the new Rivers of London book is officially driving me up the wall (I don't want to switch my Kindle to England because of the few people who've run into problems doing that).

Hopefully the copy I preordered from the UK travels swiftly.

Is there a way to order the kindle version in the US if you don't own a physical kindle? I'm fine with reading it on my iPad, I just don't want to wait until January :smith:

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Iron Druid, on the other hand... Just stop when the lolcats appear. The books are schlock, but fun schlock, for a few books. The lolcats jokes are about where the series stops being fun and just gets annoying.

To be fair the most recent book is much better in this regard because you have three narrators, one of which who think Atticus is a giant whiny douche who brings his problems down on himself. Way less Oberon, too.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

I also agree with the person who, several pages back, said the book ended quite abruptly. I feel like it needed another chapter or two to address the fallout.

I guess there's an extra chapter that only a uk bookstore got that wraps things up a little better? I agree though, it definitely feels unfinished.

Anyone else read Firefight? Turns out love is really the answer :v:

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Ghetto Prince posted:

None of those examples are urban fantasy.

The series where a literal rock star vampire fucks and kills his way to fame isn't urban fantasy? :v:

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Picked up The Rook based on recommendations from this thread, but 5 chapters in it's still damned slow. Does it pick up soon or does it keep slogging at this pace?

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Error 404 posted:

This is probably on a 'Mouse is Lash from the future' level of dumb theory.

Whoa, please tell me this is a real thing because that sounds hilarious.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

bobthenameless posted:

:allears:
A decent theory :)

Haha he's going to be so disappointed to learn that Kincaid is a big teddy bear because of Ivy

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

Wow, reading up on this guy I'm now putting him down as my bet.

Don't read the Iron Druid books or you'll only know him as the dude with magical bacon :smith:

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

So I finally read the first Sandman Slim book, and you guys weren't kidding when you said it was retarded fun. The "I'm so punk my punks are punked... punk" monologues got a little annoying but otherwise it was a fun read. Quality-wise do they stay about the same, improve or poo poo the bed?

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Wade Wilson posted:

Sandman Slim bugs me because the guy literally breaks out of Tartarus, the place no creature has ever had the opportunity to break out of in that cosmology and which is the place that actually destroys souls to fuel the rest of Creation and then uses one of the aspects of God as bait to destroy The Old Ones.

lol what? I've only read the first book :v:

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

torgeaux posted:

Nah, the Patricia Briggs stories aren't in that genre, and they deal with pack politics. They do have some uncomfortably bad sex, but the main female characters are monogamous, we just have to put up with the periodic, "he's so sexy because..." Crap.

My wife once described the Patricia Briggs books as 'a string of contrived stories to get them from one orgy in the werewolf bar to the next,' and she loves them. She doesn't like Dresden/Rivers of London/any UF that isn't a trashy romance novel, so take that as you will.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

^^^ The Bigfoot stories are quite good. I had issues when reading Side Jobs, but these are quick, fun reads.

In other news, I just finished Kill City Blues. Overall I like the Sandman Slim books, but his time as Lucifer was loving terrible.

OptimusWang fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 14, 2015

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Sandman Slim is noir as gently caress bro

Any idea if the new one is worth picking up?

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Dunno. I stopped after the third one, which was pretty bad.

I hear it picks back up tho.

Agreed. Amazon had the Kindle versions for $2 each a few weeks back so I got caught up, but I haven't read the latest one. Hoping it's more like the first two and less like the time he was the devil.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Slanderer posted:

Unrelated: I found this image from the audio book version of storm front and it is also pretty great

Is that the time cop from that lovely doctor who spinoff that starred captain jack?

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

KellHound posted:

Also a comic but Murder Mysteries by Neil Gaiman is super good. And it's less of a commitment than the 10 volume Sandman.

There's also his run on Spawn if you want to relive the early 90's :v:

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Khizan posted:

The problem is that the only background information people have on Mormons is, well, kind of ridiculous even by the standards of urban fantasy. Magic underwear, Native Americans have dark skin as a punishment for evil, baptizing dead people, gold plates in a hat, etc, etc, etc. The only people who know the kind of stuff you're talking about are other Mormons.

That makes a Mormon urban fantasy a hard sell, I think.

He could always go the Abe Lincoln, Vampire Hunter route and do revisionist history that explains away all the weird poo poo. Mormons stock two years of food because they survived the first zombie attack, the gold plates are actually the ones mankind sent to aliens on the Voyager (before the aliens sent them back to earth and inadvertently back in time), the genocide they committed against the native americans was... um ok, maybe don't touch that one.

On the risk/reward front, there's a decent chance he could get excommunicated if it became popular :v:

e: dude above me gets it.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Aerdan posted:

Except the Red Court is just as bad as the White Court, with the addition that they also actually eat their victims instead of psych-vamping them to death. The actual problem is that, with Thomas being Harry's brother, the psych vampires are cast in a sympathetic light.

Did Butcher ever say how the Jade court fed? I only remember them coming up once in a throwaway line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think the Book Depository might do worldwide free postage.

Yup, this is how I bought it.