Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

I enjoy reading the Dresden books but I don't admit that to people I know. :v:

Edit: Dresden really is a goon with his black coat. Also sometimes you're almost expecting him to tip his hat and say "M'lady"

He doesn't wear hats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

It always kinda struck me as funny that Harry's healing factor, which is able to perfectly rehabilitate bone calluses and even regrow Axons after the Myelin has been char broiled, is somehow unable to deal with a little bit of fibrosis.

Oh well, 'rule of cool,' I suppose.

Remember that magic takes intent and the subconscious into effect. Harry's really attached to who he is and his memories. It'd make sense for him to be subconsciously suppressing his healing factor when it comes to his more memorable scars.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

WastedJoker posted:

When was it revealed that Vadderung is Kringle!?

I completely missed that.

Cold Days. Kringle is Odin is Vadderung.

As for Nick, the only way I see him being scary again is if he ditches the coin and guns down Maggie's school or something like that. I think things are That Personal now, and him ditching the coin would get around Michael's family's protection. It's also exactly the sort of thing he'd do if he felt he had nothing left to lose.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

Adding mass sure, and getting rid if the extra you just grabbed is easy, but what about things like Listens to Wind reducing his to less than what a human would have?

Edit: A Wizard Did It. Literally

Wait, doesn't the ectoplasm thing make shapeshifting even more dangerous than we thought? I mean, if you get Circled then you'd lose bits, and I can't see that being anything other than fatal.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Illuyankas posted:

I'm rereading/listening to Dead Beat now, that little video clip gave Butters' lines to Harry! My immersion!

Also what kind of terrible nerd is Butters, to not know what a necromancer is!?

(man I hate the Shiela scenes on revisiting them, clearly the best way to win over your host is get them banned from a book stor- and as I write this the notion that splitting Harry up from whatever familiar locales as possible would help Laschiel manipulate Harry better just now hits me, ugh)

Maybe Butters knew what they were, but refused to believe that what he knew about fiction had anything to do with reality.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

The Knights at least have to be mortal; they're literally the Faerie courts' mortal representatives, is how I understand it.

The Lady/Queen/Hag (though I'd be shocked to see Hags change hands) mantles go to the most faerie-connected person in the vicinity - I assume most such transfers are much more planned than those that have happened recently - and a lot less common...

As for the not wanting it thing... I don't think anybody really does; they seem to come with WAAAY the hell more responsibility than power, and corrupt the gently caress out of what you used to be to turn you into what they are.

It's like politicians, the people who want the mantles are the last people who should get them.

I don't think most people who take up the Summer/Winter Mantles know nearly as much as Harry did going into it. They probably don't hear about the responsibilities and the danger until after they sign up.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

It's kinda one of the big themes of the series: It's ok to have hosed up desires, it's actually acting on them that makes you a monster.

I thought that was the whole reason Tessa was trying to stop him. Nick, Tessa, and Deidre all knew in advance what had to be done and Tessa didn't want Deidre to die. I don't think they knew more than a few years in advance at most though, because the sting was only setup after Nick pissed of Marcone. Although if that's right I think Tessa is pretty dumb to join Nick and blam Harry at the end of Skin Game.

At the end of the day, people do a lot of stupid and nonsensical things when family is involved.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Xtanstic posted:

It's funny how (spoilers for the new guy don't click this!) a bunch of wizards carry around a Batman Utility Belt with potions except for Harry. I think, Merlin and Elaine have a bunch of potions always ready? Harry being prepared is never a thing and it is great.

Oh I don't know, he starts learning starting in Turn Coat.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Xtanstic posted:

This won't be a problem once his standing army Little Folk 'level up'. He'll have his own elves! Take that Kringle!

Has it ever been explained why Toot is getting bigger? Is it because his influence among the Little Folk is spreading?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

It is unfortunate, but I chalk it up to Marcone being far too smart to do anything that would set Harry off directly in front of him. That would be a really, really bad idea. His entire MO regarding Harry is to show that he's a reasonable businessman, while behind the scenes running his criminal empire.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

I really hope that one or both of them wake up and think, "Huh. He's not such a bad guy, now that I think about it."

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Geisladisk posted:

I am so sorry for voicing my opinion of The Dresden Files in a thread dedicated to The Dresden Files. I was not aware that this was a no-criticism hugbox. It was not my intention to cause you any emotional distress.

It's not lazy to have protagonists get better at stuff, but not everyone who plays the guitar will eventually turn into a world-famous rockstar playing sold-out stadiums, which is basically what's happened to Harry. I wouldn't call it lazy, but it is rather unimaginative, considering that almost literally every supernatural fantasy protagonist has turned into a world-shaking superpower by book ten or so.

It was foreshadowed with Harry that he'd get a hell of a lot better at magic as time went on. It's been straight up said that he has a ton of magical muscle, but relatively little control over it. Add time and experience, and he has more control over that fairly massive wellspring of power that is him. That, and since he keeps throwing his hat into a lot of rings, people either try to kill/stop him, or back him- and thus his power grows in one way or another. It's not like there hasn't been a steady buildup, and the biggest jumps in power have been 1. scary and 2. not without cost.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Azuth0667 posted:

After rereading Small Favor its clear when Lucifer intervened, once capturing Marcone and once capturing the Archive. However Uriel is a lot less clear, I only come up with once giving Harry soulfire. Anyone catch the second intervention?

Edit: Whoops spoiler for the wrong book here.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Just read through Turncoat. SPOILERIFIC impressions incoming, please let me know if I'm not getting something:

There's a murder mystery involving the council. You'd think this a chance to play with the genre a bit, maybe change up the format, but it's a perfectly formulaic Dresden book. I'm pretty sure the bit where they gather forensic evidence doesn't play into the solution at all?

The council characters are all so brilliant and well developed that not a single one of them can be lost. Instead, the murderer is the one guy we've never seen before (Was he in some sidequel / comic or whatever?) and who was a dick to Harry from the very start. I kinda had him pegged as a red herring if only because he was such an obvious suspect. (Well, as obvious as someone with no personality or motivation can be)

When preparing to reveal this guy as a traitor in the middle of a huge room packed to the brim with innocent bystanders, Harry prepares by not preparing in any way whatsoever so as to make the reveal a surprise to everyone involved. (Correction - he actually reveals the traitors identity to his mentor, one of the most powerful wizards in existence - who in turn does absolutely nothing to prepare for possible resistance). When the traitor manages to kill forty to fifty (!!!) wizards, the notion of "this might be kinda sorta entirely my fault" doesn't even blip on Harry's mental radar.

Butcher is kinda terrible at establishing the rules for his world, and the bit where Harry and Luccia discuss why the council doesn't do more to curb abuse of magic is... terrible as usual. The logical leap from "a suggestion we slightly expand the scope in which we police magical abuse - something we already to" to "then we'd have to invade the United States" is baffling. As is the notion that such an inevitable step would break up the council, since members retain loyalty to their nations, but WWII (or any war whatsoever) would not, is... what am I not getting here?

Peabody's been in the background- mentioned, but in the background- a few times. His innocuousness is played up for a reason- bureaucrats are a mild annoyance at best in terms of attention paid.

I'm pretty sure accusing the guy in front of the entire senior council minus maybe one or two (I can't remember, it's been a while) was plenty of precaution, and given the mind-bendy nature of the guy's work, Harry couldn't trust that he wouldn't hear him warning others about what he was going to do. Harry can hardly be held responsible for the guy dropping that much freaking mordite in the room.

The leap wasn't from "slightly expand the scope in which we police magical abuse" to "invade the US." The leap was from "We should be world police" to "well, then the US would not have survived the mistreatment of the natives, which would have alienated the wizards from that country," and on and on. Wasn't WWII mentioned as being a particular strain, and the Council's neutrality being the only thing that held it together?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

Just finished Summer Knight, and it's probably my favorite Dresden book yet. The finale was absolutely amazing, just a massive battle in a faery field amidst storm clouds. Great last line for the book, too. I know I was thinking about taking a break after this for fear of burning out, but...yeah, that's not happening.

Clever that he wrote in potential future plot hooks with Mab, too. Or at least, I'm assuming she comes back at some point for her last two tasks?

Owning a Kindle makes binge reading so much easier. What with not having to run out to the store to buy the next book.

:allears: This is why I read this thread. Feel free to drop thoughts mid-book, if you can manage to put it down!

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Deptfordx posted:

The whole (Winter) Knight power does seems to have been toned down a lot.

I got the distinct impression from the earlier books that becoming a Knight (for either faction) basically boosted you to Captain America levels physically as well as any augmentation in magical powers.

The whole Your bodys limiters are turned off. It's all hysterical strength and ignoring pain seemed lame as hell when it was explained explicitly.

The Winter and Summer mantles are pretty explicitly more than that- Harry just refuses to embrace the vast majority of the power offered, because of what he thinks it would do to his psyche/sense of self.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

What's everyone's opinion of the Dresden TV show? I watched the pilot on YouTube and, while I really like Paul Blackthorne...I was not impressed.

I know it only ran one season, but does it get better than the pilot and worth a watch as a mini series?

It does not and is not.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Daric posted:

I didn't ever bother with audiobooks either until I started driving 20+ hours a week. Now they're a godsend. I can only listen to so much SportsTalk while the Texans and Rockets suck.

Join the dark side, be a Spurs fan.

Any time I'm in for a long drive I make sure to have an audiobook with me, even if it's a book I've read already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Maybe because it's a little out of left field? None of the other books mention her having an affinity for Star Trek, so it comes off less as an important cultural touchstone for her personally and more as a cheap pop-culture reference. Not that Butcher is above such a thing, but he usually grounds his references a little better by giving you some background about why the characters would form the connection.

Edit: Also, isn't Molly, like 26'ish? I'm not sure I've ever met anyone under the age of 30 who gave a poo poo about Star Trek. I mean, I'm sure they exist, but they can't be all that common.

I am 26 and care about Star Trek, it seemed fine to me.