Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Anyone have any budget Locust God lists? Specifically looking for sub-$100 if at all possible. Finally order the Jeskai cycling precon and figured I'd build my favorite commander of all time before moving on to the shark bros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Alright, my precon came in, so I've started building up Locust God. This is what I've managed to scrape together:
https://www.moxfield.com/decks/CVhFirt97kex6mQY2jV47g

Apart from the stuff that came from the precon itself, this is all stuff I already had lying around, so that's why it's terrible. I'm looking for help and suggestions on both straight additions to fill out the list and replacements for my more... bad choices. My budget is about $100, so I'd prefer not spending 10+ on a single card.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I'll look into them and see how far I can squeeze my budget!

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Count Bleck posted:

Yet another busted Sphinx that hides behind the guise of being too mana hungry.

[Laughs in Unesh]

I had similar thoughts, I saw this and immediately went "Oh my friend is gonna loving love this".

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Arcturas posted:

Seems like a cool mana doubler for mono-G, but I’d be more interested in it as a card in the 99 in a reanimate shell.

It has Partner, so it doesn't even necessarily have to be in the 99.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

So I've got a bit of a rulings question regarding Ezuri, Claw of Progress.

So, for cards like Kalonian Hydra, their base P/T is 0/0 but they enter with some number of +1/+1 counters on them. My question is: do these still count as creatures with power 2 or less entering the field, and therefor trigger Ezuri's first ability?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

LordSaturn posted:

yes, if the number of counters is low enough, but I suspect you mean "a 0/0 enters the battlefield with 3 or more +1/+1 counters" and no, in that case, it entered with 3 or more power

Gynovore posted:

If a creature "enters with" counters (or any other change), then that modifies how it enters the battlefield. The Hydra ETBs as a 4/4.

Darn, I thought that might be the case. Ah well, still gonna jam hydras in this deck, they just work so well.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Why the actual gently caress did Conquest ban Haldan of all cards? I can understand the logic of the other banned commanders (Najeela, Thrasios, and Tymna are all really strong, Leovold is oppressive in the dumbest ways, and Oko and Kinna are Simic cards that came out in the last two years), but this one just utterly baffles me. Are Haldan and his dog secretly tearing up cEDH? Or is this just a case of "I lost to this deck once so I am going to ensure I can never lose to it again"?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

To steer the thread away from doom and gloom for a moment...

I'm thinking of building a Sphinx tribal deck, but I'm kinda stuck on what commander to use. The obvious answer is 'Unesh', but I also really want to use all the Azorius sphinxes out there. Right now I'm leaning towards either Azor or Isperia, Supreme Judge.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Railing Kill posted:

I have a fun deck built around Yennett that's "flying tribal." It slams out mid and high CMC fliers for free, and a ton of them are sphinxes. She would let you use all your Azorius options, plus splash in black.

Oooh, that sounds like fun. Do you think I could get a list, to help guide me?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Even if Partner did exist for the angels, they still wouldn't have gotten it. Wizards is allergic to putting non-standard-legal mechanics in standard sets.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Katamari Democracy posted:

Keep in mind that commander is an expensive format for a reason

Yes, and that reason is "Wizards of the Coast is a dumb company that makes dumb decisions". There's no greater meaning in Commander being ridiculously expensive, it's just an unfortunate side effect of the company being run by a bunch of complete dumbasses.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

The thing that most irks me about that article is honestly number 3.

There's a reason why, over time, decks in any TCG will start including the same cards and combos- because the players have determined that those are the cards and combos that win. And while there are certainly extreme Timmy players who go into every game thinking "If I can make a 100/100 then I'll be happy". I don't think it's an exaggeration to say the vast majority of players play to win. Even the people who build on a budget, their question isn't "what's the cheapest deck I can make", it's "what's the strongest deck I can make for X dollars".

By admonishing the people who (rightfully) suggest you run Entomb instead of Unmarked Grave, it feels like he's admonishing the people who play to win- which is to say, the vast majority of the playerbase.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Kurieg posted:

At this point they should really just print Realms Beyond versions of the ABU Duals. They aren't reprinting badlands, it's a completely distinct card that happens to function as Badlands in a deck.

Unfortunately, Wizards has stated even functional reprints go against 'the spirit of the reserved list'.

The real solution is to just abolish the reserved list and give a gently caress you to 'investors'.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

A lot of people play with groups where they don't use land destruction because it "feels bad" but I would def start running some if this is actually a combo people start using

Yeah, it's kind of a catch-22 in that way. It's only good when there isn't land destruction, but running it guarantees that the other players will start packing land destruction.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

On the one hand, I don't like saying a person is playing Magic wrong. If they and their playgroup are happy and they aren't being obnoxious about it, I say let them have whatever weird bans and rules alterations they want.

On the other hand, this person willingly submitted their rules list on a public website, therefor any comments/mockery it receives is 100% fair game.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Dumb question: How do these DFC's work in commander decks? Could I put a Brutal Cathar which has a red flip side into a GW deck?

The color identity of double-faced cards looks at BOTH sides, so no, Brutal Cathar can only go in RW-inclusive decks.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

You pay all costs for a spell first, so Shusher would already be sacced before you get a chance to make Neoform uncounterable, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Batterypowered7 posted:

He kept saying, "No, no, I'll be casual about it. Like, if I cast Dark Bargain maybe I only take one creature and one land from what everyone discards. You know, I'll limit myself." and I just wanted to strangle him.

...Okay, I could theoretically believe that 'casual Tergrid' could exist, but if your idea of 'casual' is basically a gentleman's agreement that you won't take full advantage of your own cards...