Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Fix posted:

I did have a commissar shoot down a Dakkajet with a bolt pistol though, so I really won the game in the end.

This is the reason I play the drat game.

" Ah, Carruthers, he's coming around again. This just will not do. He's slowing down the advance. Here hold my eyeglasses, there's a good chap. I only need them for reading. Now, the important thing Carruthers, as ever, is to wait until you see the whites of their eyes, or in this case teeth. Just be a second... There we are, got the blighter. My word what an explosion. Shame about 9 platoon but can't be helped. Now sound the advance and as ever, lieutenant, last man to the enemy will be shot for cowardice. Tally Ho"

\/ Awesome - duellist pose

JackMack fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Sykic posted:

It's just a screaming skull basecoat with seraphim sepia shading and white scar highlight. I cheated and used an airbrush :ssh:.

I actually know very little about how a Chapter is designed, never been much of a Space Marine player. The idea was to just give anyone special (sergeants, veterans, the chapter master, etc) a bone coloured helmet because I'm lazy it sets them apart from the rank and file marines. I actually spent a while looking up Chapter Masters to figure out if they ever wear a different coloured helmet as a sign of their rank but the only guy I found who wears one is Kantor, and Crimson Fists have the whole "two coloured fists" thing instead. Still, that's half the point when designing your own chapter, just paint them however you want them to look, fluff be damned.

In the grim darkness of the far future there is a strict dress code policy. My feeling is that you can rationalise anything you like, less bling = less show offy chapter master. His men know who he is. Also the white helmets look so rad why wouldn't you have them as a symbol of rank. I have blood angels and I hate the knee pad squad system which I remember in 2nd edition and has no rhyme or reason other than some GW guys made it up. The codex astartes system based on primary coloured shoulder pad rims feels the same to me. These guys are Knights in space. I am sure their attitude to decoration is not indoctrinated in.

If I ever do another space marines chapter they are going to be puritanical and not believe in ostentation. So I don't have to paint any more angel wings.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
The ally rules include being able to ally with the "come the apocalypse" ones. So you can technically ally with anyone

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

Does an unnbound army still need a HQ, which that army lacks?

They do not. You nominate a non-HQ unit as I recall so your opponent can have stay the warlord essentially. You do not get to roll on the warlord trait table though.

I don't know the weakness though, but I have been terrible at a number of editions of this game.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
Is anybody else feeling that he newer models which I understand are computer designed have no soul compared with properly a sculpted ones. Looking at SRM's space marines of yesteryear is amazing. They just have so much character. I like having posable miniatures which are just jumping in quality but the single models just don't pop the way they used to.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
Just to add my experience. I am a very average painter however am a huge fan of army painter sprays. I cannot get into my imgur account and am not internet clever enough to repost however my BA are halfway down this page of the last thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3494017&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=20

I know SRM has just said paint bone and then shade but just for comparison all bar the AOBR marines were done with primed black and then zenithal red. It was all a bit experimental at that point so the results are variable however it got some pretty good results. I now prime sideways and then do a 45 degree spray with red from all angles and then a final spritz from directly above. I can highly recommend the corresponding pot paint for the red as it matches perfectly and is a really nice consistency. I then use that on the areas that need either cleaning up or the bits of the model where the light would hit.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

SoftDrink posted:

Behold the the knowledge to paint at the golden daemon level.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FayBHOhucf0

I am disappointed this link wasn't the unspiration thread compilation video with the grunting soundtrack. That is the best.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Ghost Hand posted:

What I want to know is why we haven't seen any pics of Cataphract playing with Goons at Warhammer World posted here yet!?

Apologies for these being links and not in the thread. These are the two photos I snapped. I wish I had taken more. It was a really fun day although we hung out a bit more than played. Cataphract very kindly agreed to be the odd man out during the first game and then lunch and post prandial ham chat did until home time for us who had to leave in the late afternoon.

http://m.imgur.com/YgDeekM
http://i.imgur.com/O4HLwBM.jpg

These are my two pics. Cataphract is in the background obviously. In the foreground are my blood angels facing off against the awesome rogue trader Salamanders of Zark the Damned. What you can see is a very bold scout move on the part of the two Baal Predators which promptly backfired spectacularly when initiative was seized and they had ultimately driven out into the face of the salamander guns.

Suffice to say the game did not go well for the sons of Sanguinous. Despite a deep striking land raider falling from the sky into the heart of the Salamander lines there was no answer to the Salamanders fire power.

It was really great to meet all the guys who went along. Thanks to Caraphract for inviting us!

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

Cataphract came all the way from Australia to play with goon warhams at Warhammer World and you made him sit out the first battle? :crossarms:

He had super show biz calls to make.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

All the Admech stuff from the first book has models and rules, I believe. Second book as well.

e: Speaking of guns, any idea where this drill bit came from? I think its too large to be from an ork kit (but I could be wrong):

I see a thermos flask is being modelled as well. A brave brother marine from the Emperor's Workmen chapter. Their specialty is dragging out budgets on post exterminatus building projects, chapter tactics are that no actions can be taken with Workmen models on turns 2-5 as this is their tea break . They also have rules about making female models uncomfortable with catcalls and wolf whistling.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Moola posted:

Phil Kelly's unbound swarm lol

I was flicking through tabletop fix and found this kickstarter and instantly thought of you.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/433105762/olleys-armies-dwarven-prussian-army-scrunt-miniatu

My favourite is 'scrunt mechanic with spanner'.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

You know who I'm jealous of in this hobby? The little ten or twelve year old bastard I saw in Warhammer World swaggering around with his own security ID, with access to a discount and being treated like royalty by the staff.

That kid, that kid is living the dream.

What's the deal there? When we were at the goon meet in August there were kids like this who obviously hadn't played the game playing on one the glorious city fight tables. What do I have to do to be this kid?

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

LordAba posted:

Blood from every orifice AND death? Tyranids don't gently caress around.

I love the order of events here. I feel the horror of the airways closing would be lessened somewhat by the rupturing organs in the previous step rendered it moot. Basically an onlooker would only notice the guy collapse and die. A quiet pause whilst his airway closes and then blood spurting out of ears and bum.

This is a pretty weak bit of background creation.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

Dude, it's supposed to be completely absurd. Note the part where you check off how witnesses should be executed.

I am not implying anything about the concept. What is weak is the execution, the rest of the document is a faux report and then the medical 'symptoms' are not symptoms for a start, and also could at least attempt to sound lile it is written using terminology'

The four observed stages of spore inhalation
1) airway constriction - the victim reports difficulty in breathing, wheeziness and excessive respiratory secretions in response to initial contact
2) the spore is quickly absorbed in the bloodstream leading to systemic organ dysfunction
3) the subject rapidly starts to haemorrhage from the mouth, nose and eyes and digestive tract
4) death quickly follows. Risk of transmission of aerosolised spores from corpse high up to eighteen hours post mortem

There we go.

E: in fairness that will never fit into the little box but my point is it is pretty half assed.

JackMack fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 2, 2014

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
Quick question. Are the contemptor rules and points values in The first horus heresy FW book the same as those in the 40k books. I have the first HH book and the fall of orpheous and have won a contemptor on ebay. I would love to use it with my BA dreadmob though.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Slimnoid posted:

Pretty much the same. There's only three differences between the HH one and Imperial Armour Volume II 2nd edition: the IA one doesn't have the Dreadnought Talon formation, it has storm bolters rather than twin-linked bolters on its close-combat weapons, and it can take a Lucius Pattern Drop Pod. Points costs, rules, and weapon choices are the same. It's an Elite choice for Space Marines and Dark Angels, so technically it can't be used with BA, but if you roll with a cool crowd I don't think they'd say no if you asked.

Awesome. Thanks.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

AbusePuppy posted:

Actually, the Horus Heresy ones are BS5, whereas the 40K era ones are only BS4. There are also some other small differences already noted (Storm Bolter vs. Combi-Bolter, etc) as well as the expected upgrade option changes.

Cheers for this.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
I was tempted to buy it but I have two boxes of unassembled Death Coy, unpainted terminators and nine dreadnoughts already. I would have snapped it up if the captain was a better model or more in fitting with the BA theme. Why not have a Vanguard Jump Pack Captain? The pose is rubbish. I would rather use the Terminator Sgt. from Space Hulk as it is by far a more dynamic pose.

There is a ton of models for the money however I wonder if that will lead to saturation on eBay...

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Caros posted:

Is it weird that I think that tracer fire in that first video is oddly beautiful?

Depending on what you are firing at and at what range it can sometimes ricochet upwards which is pretty too.

Also, to weigh in, the way we were taught with tracer rounds was one in five or ten with a few at the top of a magazine for target indication if you were the only guy who could see the enemy, you can see the individual points of light pretty clearly, even moving at the speed it does. Bigger distances are better obviously.

JackMack fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 6, 2014

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Lord Twisted posted:

Striking scorpion 82 is a pretty good 'ham from the UK who does good batreps online.

It's a shame his (brother?) opponent who plays IG is just goddamn awful at writing army lists. I always cringe when he unveils a command squad with heavy flamer, plasma gun, plasma pistol and lascannon in a chimera (almost 200 pts for 5 guardsmen :derp:)

I am a longstanding advocate of taking what you want however the thing for me that I find tiresome is the way he always castles up as much as possible behind an aegis line and the game consists of SS82 gently manoeuvring around the fire lanes.

E| Zark I haven't forgotten that at a point when I can access my stack of unused wargames that I will dig out the rogue trader bits for you. I am hoping the Christmas break will give me a chance to inbox some stuff.

JackMack fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Dec 7, 2014

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Ghost Hand posted:

I've been thinking about this a lot lately actually. I would totally be into this. However one of my guest hosts brought up an interesting point. "You might be into resource management and all those complicated ideas, but are your players? That's the real question."

So yeah - I like the idea - but not everyone does. Also, I really think you need some type of tools to track this kind of thing. Tracking it by hand on paper is just a pain...

I think the issue is the scale of the game versus the scale of a 41st millennium campaign. As such if you are looking at two (or more) gigantic forces splayed in massive fronts over the surface of a planet with armies of hundreds of thousands our fifty models on the table are a drop in the ocean.

WHilst the game represents the crunch point of a particular battle I can imagine a way of determining the rest of a huge conflict would be the challenge. You would essentially need a separate game. (Was this what mighty empires did for fantasy). There are so many other factors such as space battles, reinforcements, logistics doing this in a way that doesn't unbalance the actual tabletop experience to the point it stops being fun for the person on the side that is losing.

Necromunda struggles to stay balanced even at that scale. I think the best way is that gaming group where the guys write the narrative (I can't recall the name but the ones on your show). There the narrative moves forward and the game is kept balanced and tabletop actions influence the outcome.

I wonder if the best way would be to have a GM who sets the scenario and the players on each team decide their actions (push forward on right flank) fortify centre, air assault left) and communicate to the GM separately. At that point he sits down and integrates into a new story and comes up with some games. You obviously need someone pretty good to do this! You could make this table driven and do stats and dice rolls or just someone good at reacting to good ideas and spinning a good yarn.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

BlackIronHeart posted:

This is exactly how my group is doing it. The Necron player is the GM and we (the Eldar player and I) each submit to him the orders for our separate forces as well as what our Kill Teams are doing. If these orders result in a battle, we fight it and hope for the best.

Out of interest do you feel the more important outcome is winning or narrative? T hey are both important obviously but I am interested which gets greater emphasis.

There has always been one turbo optimised sniper van Saar gang in every necromunda campaign I have done.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
Boon, no one else has mentioned but I really enjoyed reading your write up.

Also if those rumours are true a number of my previous Blood Angel builds that I can do (but notably haven't done really) are firmly rogered. No more dreadmob! I am bidding on dreads as we speak on eBay and I already have nine!

That does seem to be quite a through going over with the nerf bat. I have my eyebrows set in a cynical furrow.

JackMack fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 8, 2014

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Go Spacewolves (or just count as). They have a formation that requires 1 HQ and some elites, going up to like 6-9 or something.

Bijorn leading all dreads is a real battle forged list. All zombie robots, no toughness.

Also, I don't think those lists were really that competitive (nor is the space wolf one) so nerf bat seems like an overreaction. But you can have fun with dreads with wolf claws or stormshields!

That is an interesting idea.

I didn't specifically mean the nerfing of my dreads, I mean limited fast vehicles, Baal press vying for slots with actual preds and what will be a super crowded elites slot on top of assault squads no longer being troops! I am terrible at this game and to be honest have not had much contact with newer codexes however if these are true the manner in which you can play this army suffers quite a big paradigm shift.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

I always think of the guard book getting written off as the worst thing GW have ever done just for none of the 'leaks' to be true.

This is what I am clinging onto at this point. Three seems to be such a dearth of reasons to play blood Angels in the new book as described that I wonder if this is just to invoke a response.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

That medic with the humongous syringe looks doofy as heck

He is better than the Cadian one. "Toilet paper sir?"

You'll all have to google as I am not clever enough to post images quickly. Not the metal one who is giving himself a mid battle blood infusion. The plastic one.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

AbusePuppy posted:

Uh, that's clearly not toilet paper, it's medicated bathroom wipes.

Given the grim darkness of the far future battlefield I would possibly need an occasional medicated bathroom wipe in the midst of battle.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
I love both of the last two posts. I think the Commissar Skull is a neat idea that subtlety suggests a history. Do you have your own story of how it came to be or is it a mystery? I really like inquisitor and his retinue above as well.

I think the wonderful thing about the sisters of battle was the variety of pilgrims, holy men and penitent ne'er do wells that for me encapsulated the grim dark madness. I think the same about the tech -medieval nature of inquisitorial retinues. I think we have lost that of late in 40k and it is veering back towards having less depth in the abject madness of the human race being torn between technology and hysterical superstition.

E: also with regards the post with picture above that: Ghost Hand, the autumn statement her in the uk has just been presented to parliament. In it our chancellor, George Osbourne has stated that we have the fastest growth in the G7 and that our deficit is set to be halved. The government has claimed it was their policies that has achieved this. Here among the 40k community we know better.

On behalf of the British people I would like to thank you Ghost Hand for propping up the British economy with your huge forgeworld purchases.

JackMack fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Dec 11, 2014

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Mephiston posted:

I have a quick question about death company dreadnoughts. I'm putting together mne, and im just curious if anyone knows if there is anything in the rules that states it cant take a flamer and melta as its ranged weapons, as opposed to one of those and a storm bolter.

In the current codex the default setting is melta SB and you can upgrade the SB to a heavy flamer. The new codex I don't know but I can't imagine it changing. It is a better load out and on the ones where I had a choice it's what I have done (I have ebay salvages and metal ones in my collection)

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
First thing I thought on close inspection of the word bearers contemptor (other than it looking cool) was that there appears to be a droopy crucifix on the flame icon on his chest. Controversial...

Boon. Thanks for the write up. Really interesting to hear how that went. I was thinking you had probably placed well overall. It reminded me of that Simpsons bit where school is out and the children are racing out of the door. "Wait! I didn't get to tell you how World War Two ended.... We won!"

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
Are any UK goons going to Battle for Grace II at Wayland tomorrow? I am taking my Blood Angels for some old codex last hurrah. I have Death Company Tycho, six dreadnoughts (pods are for cissies) and a land raider which, unless it looks like I might win, I will be deep striking. It will likely be deep struck every game...

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
I had my first tournament experience yesterday. It was a three game single day affair. I managed to win one, lose narrowly and lose shockingly. I was using a BA list with DC Tycho, assault kitted honour guard, two tactical squads (one with a land raider) and six dreads, (three standard, three furioso). I will not bore you with the details as none were particularly remarkable games.

I lost shockingly to a list with fateweaver, belakor, three daemon princes and three units of horrors. It was the Emperor's Will (not good for a man with footslogging dreads) and he had a fortress to castle up in. His turns took forever due to all the charts and the psychic phase for daemon summoning. which meant we only got to turn three by the end of two hours. The other thing that scuppered me was that it was kill points on top of the normal victory conditions which was only revealed to me on the second turn. As such I would have castled more and focussed on killing things rather than making an ill fated bid to capture his objective.

The close defeat was to Orks, Tycho went down in combat with a Mega Nob Warlord which fits the fluff I supposed. The massed guns of the landraider and dreads avenged him shortly after. As such again I focussed too much on the objectives and underestimated the difference that the kill points would make. This was a real lesson, other than shoot all the trukks that contain meganobs as a matter of urgency and also have a contigency to deal with deffkoptas as twin linked str 8 missiles into my flank were no joke.

Other highlights were Tycho attempting to fight a Lictor in assault but ruining that cinematic moment by blasting it in the face with his combi melta. One of the shooty dreads kicked a Mawloc to death as well.

I can see utterly why a serious tournament player needs to know everyone's codex. The number of times you are told a rule and think, "I don't want to be a dick but that sounds way too good to be true". I can think of incidents where I misrepresented an AP that day so I can think it applies to me however it was quite striking how much people were guessing at rules.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Cataphract posted:

Drop pods are open topped and are therefore assault vehicles.

Sadly I don't think it would override the assaulting out of deep strike rule. Does it say anywhere you have to disembark though? I have always just slammed the pod in there and poured the guys out.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

You can't assault out of a drop pod under normal conditions, but they're talking about the formation in the quote below. And yeah, you have to disembark when you come down in a drop pod.

It could be a really cool formation, but it's a hilariously huge investment. There are also a bunch of ways for your plan to go wrong since everything is tied to good reserve rolls.

Roger. Apologies to all. I was too lost in fantasies of my devastator six inches from the enemy squad sitting in its drop pod egg firing out with AV 12 all around saving it from anti infantry fire.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
Noooo. Whilst this is the most entertained I have been for a while I can't face the guy with the cooking with dog videos coming back. I hate that dick.

I had to line up all my jump pack marines and death company past night and tell them that we had done all we can but some of them have to go.

Then I changed my mind... I can't do that to them just before Christmas.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
These are just excellent! You have hit the nail on the head for the horror both in theme and execution. Absolutely love it.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

ZachAttack posted:

Does anyone have a dreadnought RIGHT powerfist arm they would be willing to part with? It could be from any kit really, normal, ironclad, furioso (bloodfist/talon), space wolves (wolffist?) I could give you money or trade some bits.

Where are you? I have one. PM me.

Also merry Christmas 40k goons.

JackMack fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Dec 25, 2014

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
Gang, can i ask your opinion. I am looking to move onto a 30k project and have a set of mk 2,3 and 4 armoir along with fw bolters for 10 of them. I also have 15 catulan reavers from an ebay deal and a collection of the current plastic space marind sprues and the torso with no eagle.

My questions is, i have seen a lot of images of 30k armies but people are generally quite uniform with the armour marks. Has anyone got a strong opinion or has seen any armies with a mixture of marks in 30k? Also is the mixing of appropriate bits from the space marine sprue an okay idea? I know to avoid the imperial eagles and too many purity seals but has anyonehave any particular experience with this style?

Also i havent got HH book 2 yet and although i have a rough idea of catulan reavers rules from google would it be worth just mixing the models in for flavour or making them a seperate unit and keepig them as reavers? I am tempted to mix them in and stick with troops choices.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Sulecrist posted:

When you say "mixture of marks," do you mean within a model (MkII helmet, MkIII shoulder pad, MkIV otherwise), a squad (some MkIII guys, some MkIV guys) or an army? I think the first sort would be pretty rare unless you're trying to represent a tattered post-Istvaan warband operating far from the rest of the fleet, but I've seen plenty of the other two kinds. I'm sure some of the limits are because people purchasing from Forgeworld buy Mk-specific Legion-branded shoulder pads in packs of ten. Thus, someone who doesn't want to mix components within an actual suit might not own all of the marks of armor if his army doesn't have a lot of ordinary marines in it.

Edit: I think the fluff basis for not mixing marks even army-wide is that a lot of combat units were upgraded across the board all at once, and MkIV armor was the most advanced at the time of the heresy. So having IV-only or a mix of IV and V (which is just repaired IV) would make a lot of sense if, say, you were trying to represent a Traitor legion force that had been operating in the same theatre as its Primarch.

What i was potentially getting at would be the first option, partially to dilute my forge world stuff to make it go further. I do respect the fluff but also want my kid to have juice and wondered if i am careful if it looks okay. I was thinking an SoH loyalist survivor force which potentially accounts for fmixed stuff being field repairs etc. I also want this project to include battle damage and weathering so that fits as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Then I was either getting cheated or I'm thinking of something completely different.

That was definitely the rule for WFB at the time. I was also an idiot child at the time and would buy every box set game GW put out so had inadequate armies for both WFB and 40k

• Locked thread