Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

Slightly lighter doesn't really work.

The analogy I generally go to is lightsabers - if you look at images of them from the films, especially the newer ones, you'll see that the actual blades are almost pure white - the colour comes from the glow *around* the blade, and the reflected light on the surroundings. It doesn't come from the light source being red, we get the impression that the light source is red because it makes its surroundings more red.

Had a quick crack at lightening the source and adding some highlights. It was pretty quick/messy, the highlights around the smaller eyes especially, just to check I'm hitting the areas you suggested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

adamantium|wang posted:

Agrellan Earth is basically cheating.

It's so good. I'm using it on my Necrons to great effect. I highly recommend painting a colour underneath it (I used Steel Legion Drab). Still need to add some other details to the bases yet.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Assuming you're shaking it up enough, how much are you putting on? For the necrons a couple of pages back I applied it straight from the pot to the base. You want a pretty generous covering as it seem to produce bigger cracks where more of the paint is pooled, so mix up how much is on each area of the base.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Well if the hormagaunts have adrenal glands...

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Has anyone here used or played against Necron Acanthrites? They seem like a pretty cool unit and I'm always happy to add more Canoptek stuff to my collection but it'd be interesting to see if they play like hot garbage.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Glad to see the tradition of pissing and whining about an unreleased book no one's used yet is still going strong.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

The great taste of nature.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Moola posted:

I made a video review on the latest Eldar codex

its a little baised but I think I covered most of the points: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPAPmtTi8lc

Majestic.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

OH JESUS GOD GOONS WHAT HAVE I DONE :cry: I got about $400 worth of Necrons for $100. It includes the following:

1 monolith
2 CC/Anni. Barges
28 Warriors
10 Immortals
5 Deathmarks
5 Lychguard
11 Scarabs

What do I turn this into? What do I need to make a force awesome? What's must-have for dem 'Crons?

You've got the makings of a pretty decent Decurion there. You can group the Warriors, Immortals, Lychguard and Monolith into a Reclamation Legion (all you require to make it legal is an Overlord and 3 Tomb Blades) which is the Core formation. Add a Doomsday Ark to the two Annihilation Barges and that nets you an Annihilation Nexus and pick some Wraiths and a Spyder to add to the Scarabs for a Canoptek Harvest formation. Outside of that, you can supplement units with Night Scythes and Ghost Arks as you see fit. The Deathmarks can be run as their own formation as part of the Decurion detachment too.

As for what are "must-haves", I don't really play my Necrons competitively so can't help other than saying Wraiths are ridiculously good (and more so if you use the Canoptek Harvest to get them Reanimation Protocols and keep them alive even longer).

Fuegan fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 21, 2015

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Ghost Hand posted:

I am. This is Carl. Thanks for the compliments!

Only 5 episodes to go... Show of Force: The Green Tide is going to be after Siege of Vraks. I am actually really looking forward to that one. I have some good plans for it.

Any plans for you guys to do a Show of Force: Grumpy Old Space Robots? Would be awesome to listen to while endlessly painting warriors and immortals.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Would make sense. They're supposed to be pretty new and rare and only used when absolutely necessary from what I remember of the fluff, which of course translates to "take at least 2 all the time" currently.

They'll have strength D markerlights.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

I need something with nonexistent ankles so it's liable to snap off from a stiff breeze. What do ya got for me

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Definitely agree on the formation stuff. I ran a Decurion formation for the first time yesterday using a Reclamation Legion of two units of 10 Warriors, 10 Immortals in a Night Scythe, 3 Tomb Blades and the Overlord as well as 5 Lychguard. Just to run the basic Core formation is expensive but very worth it for the extra chance of successful Reanimation Protocol rolls. The Canoptek Harvest unit is crazy powerful with the ability to use RP on Canoptek stuff.

Funnily enough I played against a friend's Eldar using the new book yesterday and while he doesn't have the force he wants to run yet, it was interesting. Lack of D weapons and Jetbikes so can't really judge but Wraithknight being a GC is painful for sure. I sat there crossing my fingers every time he rolled the Stomp attacks against my Nightbringer shard (which was awesome. Gaze of Death is not to be messed with.) since a 6 just removes it from play. Was still a pretty epic fight though. Wave Serpents definitely aren't as nasty as they used to be but can still put out a decent amount of firepower.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Deathmarks special ability at wounding always on a 2+ when they arrive from deep strike is probably going to be coming in handy in the future.

I need more Tomb Blades.

Yeah definitely. I reckon it's going to have to be a squad of 10 to maximise potential rending wounds, plus increased probability of them failing saves. Tomb Blades are really fun to use. I ran mine with Nebuloscopes and Particle Beamers and they tore through the Eldar troop units.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

PierreTheMime posted:

The fact that hurling a Wraithlord hurts more than a Trygon or other relatively gigantic MCs is pretty funny (though mechanically it would be difficult to make to flow and smoother and make sense). Wraithbone is heavy stuff, I suppose.

More than a Land Raider as well.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

richyp posted:

(Hi Hams)

I realise this was from a while back but did you find the images? If not I managed to find a couple of pictures of them on my old laptop. These are from a few years ago, I also did some Necrons in a very similar scheme as well (one trick pony)

Hope they were the ones you meant.

Forgot how cool this scheme was, glad to see it again!

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Just noticed the deflect rule that they took away from the Lychguard dispersion shield now applies to the new robot things. Amazing.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

AbusePuppy posted:

I am willing to lose the lovely deflect rule they had in exchange for an upgrade to a 3++ and a 15pt-per-model price drop.

Re-adding special rules and "minor" factions and all that sort of stuff sure does make their supposed earlier attempts to simplify 7th Edition sound pretty stupid, though.

Oh totally, it's just a bit of a shame to see a quirky rule that produced some amusing moments taken out only to be given to the new shiny army is all.

On the new models, I really don't think the paint job does them any favours. They're pretty flat compared to the rest of the AdMech stuff and while I get that they're trying to say "Hey guys! It's totally like that model from before!" the lack of any other colour to break up the red makes them look pretty plain and boring.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

TKIY posted:

What the hell is happening, this thread is suddenly good?!

edit: Why I love Tyranids:

Lictors are still my favourite Tyranid unit. I've got the second ed book purely for the random stories like the one about an Imperial commander opening the blast doors into a compound because a Magus got into his head but my personal favourite is the story about the jungle patrol being picked off by a Lictor. Anyone designing rules for the Lictor should read that bit of fluff before they do anything else.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

The old FW Dreadclaw drop pod was an awful piece of poo poo to put together.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

They specifically called that out in the old Necron FAQ with regards to the Lychguard's dispersion shields. They said you couldn't deliberately use the 4++ to get the bouncy shield effect if the attack allowed the 3+ to be used. I realise how it is with wording and what not but it's at least useful for a guideline.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Oh I get that, but it seems like an example of how they might call out that you must use the 3+ unless it gets bypassed in which case you can use the 4++.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Now crossing my fingers for Dark Omen appearing on GOG.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Not done any hobby in ages so was ill-prepared for the trip to Warhammer World last weekend. Got a couple of cool pictures of my stuff on a cool board though, which was nice.

I also caved in and bought this thing. It's loving awesome. Will post some more pictures when it's done. Feels good to be hobbying again.

Fuegan fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 10, 2015

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Thanks dudes. The knight was a good challenge to pose and really fun to paint so far.

Bonus old picture of the sergeant. Currently rebasing them with Woodland Scenics snow materials.

Fuegan fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 10, 2015

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

I had a quick conversion I made but I really don't like it, so a new Lias is on my to-do list, along with all of the painting.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

The Relic Contemptor is a great model to paint. I wanted it to be a veteran of the Raven Guard who moved over into the Raptors successor chapter way back when so I added some little details like a Raven Guard symbol showing behind some battle damage where it had been resprayed. Found a better picture with another loadout.

Anyway that's enough image spam from me. Those jetbikes are looking awesome. Really liking the basing technique as well. The cobblestones look great.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

A nice trick with white is to use something like Ulthuan Grey as the base layer with a white highlight rather than going fully white as the base.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

I always figured the Ork -> Biovore connection was linked to the fact that Orks shed spores to make more Orks, hence the Biovore was made to fire much larger and more destructive spores.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Warhammer World running a Blood Bowl tournament in May now makes a lot more sense having seen those pictures.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Incoming image dump. I'm pretty happy with how this turned out.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Ghost Hand posted:

Today marks the return of The Independent Characters Podcast. I'm committed to doing at least one more year. We will see how that goes. Hope you enjoy!

http://theindependentcharacters.com/blog/?p=3720

Was great to do some painting to your podcast again. Glad you guys couldn't keep away.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Well then.

E: Just realised I'm behind on hobby news and this may have been posted already. Whoops!

Fuegan fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 2, 2016

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

I really liked the multiplayer they had. Dreadnought mode was fun as hell.

The multiplayer is basically what Eternal Crusade is, and it has tanks.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Ghost Hand posted:

It's not a scam. I personally know this person and game with him. He started it as a bit of a joke from a conversation he and I were having via FB and a few of us are going to WHW in about 3 weeks.

I'm happy enough to personally bring the funds to the guys there in Nottingham. If you don't trust him (or me) just don't donate!

The 16th-17th April weekend by any chance?

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Ghost Hand posted:

I wont be there on the weekend - but I will be there the 18th and 19th (Mon/Tue)

That's a shame. I'm heading there that weekend with a few buddies.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Fellow goons, I'm having a clear out of stuff and have come to the sad realisation that I'm never going to get round to doing much with my rather large Necron army, so would like to find it a good home. I'd like to try and ship out as much of it as possible in one go but can split stuff up if necessary. PM me if there's any interest and I'll provide a full inventory of super cool robots.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

SRM posted:

This is my philosophy for gaming in general. I've had a blast playing my Orks and Stormtroopers and 90s Ultramarines even though they're far and away from being really competitive choices. You've gotta paint all these little dudes, they better be dudes you enjoy painting.

Also good god am I stoked to head to Warhammer World next week. My retro Ultras will be there in full force!

When are you there? Going to be there with some friends over the weekend (16th-17th) and would be awesome to see your Ultras and feel sad that my Raptors are nowhere near finished.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Shame you guys weren't there this weekend. Managed to get away without spending too much money and had some pretty fun games, the highlight being my Terminators ruining a Knight's shins with Thunder Hammers and it falling over onto a bunch of Skitarii. Managed to get a shot of my own Knight on the Spyral Prime board. Shame about the mismatched base; obviously the snow elsewhere had melted...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

The Adeptus Terra Podcast is definitely worth checking out if you've ran out of things to listen to.

• Locked thread