Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ghetto wormhole posted:

I have the book now if you have any specific questions.

Also I did this because I hate myself and everyone around me, but I especially hate money: :vomarine:

:downs::hf::downs: I'm the idiot who paid for :orks101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

jng2058 posted:

I'd buy Houston in particular as a Nurgle plagueworld and Texas as the Eye of Terror.

Nah, Houston roads are conduits of pure rage. The humidity is just a bonus. Blood for the Blood God. :unsmigghh:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Miruvor posted:

With the templates on open-topped vehicles and fire ports.. Are those wounds still ignore cover? No one mentioned it so far. If not, I would consider that a bit of a balance. If not, my guardsmen are still going to roast to Space Marine flamers on those ports.

What cover save are your dudes getting inside a transport? :confused: Besides, templates always ignore cover so it's kind of a moot point.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I got a couple of games in yesterday to try out the new rules. It was my Dark Angels vs. a friend's Raven Guard at 1,000 and then 1,500 points. I tried out a unit of 10 outflanking shotgun scouts in the first game and really liked them. I plan on taking them more often in the future. I'm still not really sure why I'd take shotguns over bolters since they can't charge the turn they arrive, but they look cool so whatever. I also took a librarian to try out the new psychic phase and found it to be pretty underwhelming. It didn't really help that I rolled some bad powers, but I seemed to get fewer through.

I took a couple of land speeder typhoons and something special happened to one of them. My opponent took a stormtalon and a stormraven in both games and, since I play Dark Angels, my anti-air consists of shooting blindly into the sky with heavy weapons and hoping something hits. In the second game, one of my typhoons shot down the stormtalon like it was nothing with a lucky immobilized result. The stormraven got stunned and lost two hull points in the same phase. The next turn, that same typhoon shot down the stormraven. Two aircraft kills in a game. That thing's getting some kill tallies. :black101: When it gets painted.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

jng2058 posted:

Swarms can score now. Everything can score now. Park a Basilisk on that Objective that you hid behind the hill and rack in the points at the end of the game. The only thing that can override that is that your Troops in a "Battle-Forged" (ie not Unbound) get the Objective Secured rule (formerly owned exclusively by Tyrannid Gargoyles) and get priority over non-Battle Forged Troops if multiple units are within 3" of an Objective.

Swarms, specifically, may be able to score now, but a lot of those units have special rules that deny them that ability.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

I am a theater performer

How do you afford this hobby? One of my sisters has worked as a stage manager for years in New York and she doesn't make much. :smith:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Moola posted:

Not to be dismissive or anything, but I have literally never seen this happen once in 6th edition.

Over the weekend I had a unit of Deathwing knights completely demolish a unit of devastator centurions in one round. :getin:

I still don't know why I was even able to get close to them.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sykic posted:

I actually know very little about how a Chapter is designed, never been much of a Space Marine player. The idea was to just give anyone special (sergeants, veterans, the chapter master, etc) a bone coloured helmet because I'm lazy it sets them apart from the rank and file marines. I actually spent a while looking up Chapter Masters to figure out if they ever wear a different coloured helmet as a sign of their rank but the only guy I found who wears one is Kantor, and Crimson Fists have the whole "two coloured fists" thing instead. Still, that's half the point when designing your own chapter, just paint them however you want them to look, fluff be damned.

Well, for a chapter master, just add useless bling until you think you have enough. Then add more.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Power Player posted:

Is it weird that they've announced these new Ork models but haven't actually put up a Codex up on GW yet? When can we expect preorders for that to go live?

GW does things weekly now. During a release, the first week is some big model to get people interested, but without the actual codex. The second week is more kits and the book while the third week is probably a battle force box or something. We'll see the codex up for pre-orders next weekend to release on the 14th of June.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lungboy posted:

Rules for the FW Cerastus Knight Lancer are up.

The shooting attack is a little lame compared to a double-shot battle cannon or a large blast melta, but that model is amazing. :allears:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah the excuse of -1 being too complicated was always stupid. I'm looking at the third ork codex and man you'd need a flow charts and some notes on who had choppas and not just close combat weapons.

One of the best things about the 3rd edition Ork codex is that it didn't actually bother to list any stats for their ranged weapons. You had to refer back to the rulebook for all of them.

And yeah, the old choppa rules were complete horseshit. No one really needs something like that on a model with 3 attacks that comes in a squad of 30.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Almost finished painting my new Land Raider Crusader (just a couple minor bits that need to be touched up, but otherwise it's done). I hate the poo poo out of the metal bits on this model.

This thing rules. I really like that you've gone with some throwaway color scheme and made it work.

twistedmentat posted:

Ugh the Multimelta on my redeemer broke off and even thought I can glue is easily, it breaks off every time i transport it.
I actually cut a hole in the foam layer above the one my land raider is in so the multi-melta wouldn't be damaged in transit. But I have the old hybrid kit and that thing pops off with the slightest provocation. The bolters too.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So, now flyers can die from an immobilized result and the Nephilim fighter has a rule that lets it count weapon destroyed results as immobilized instead. Did 7th edition make the Nephilim better? :stare:

Maybe, but it's still over-priced and lame. At least it looks cool. :gbsmith:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Some traktor beams could be absolutely hilarious. :orks101:

So, with the zzap gun, bubblechukka, and smasha gun that makes for three options with random strength? Sounds about right. I really hope the shokk attack gun kept its random table.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Sisko posted:

TL;DR Should I show him how the many different types of things for a broader view or should I keep things simple and work my way up?

Depending on the amount of time you have, I'd probably try to play a couple games. I've always started with a 500 point game when I've had to teach people and kept things as simple as possible. I'd keep those lists limited to infantry with maybe something special like a vehicle tossed in to begin introducing the other unit types and rules. After that, move on to 1000 or 1500 points if possible and accounting for any time or model constraints. Chaos marines aren't all that different from regular marines at their core and should work fine. Keep them simple in the first few games and expand them once he's got the hang of it. That way you can add in things like flyers, monstrous creatures, psychic powers, etc. with an identifiable core.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

For what it's worth coming from some weirdo in the 40k thread, I hope you're doing alright now. What you've been through is no reason to think about finding an easy way out. Life goes on despite what you do and the world can be a beautiful place. :unsmith:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

If I was buying a landraider, I'd grab the Proteus and then add some IIB WW1 style sponsons

So... the armored proteus?

I'd go with the IIB if I was buying it for a 40k army since it fits that vehicle aesthetic better. I plan on getting one for my Dark Angels eventually. If it was for a 30k army, it'd be the proteus all the way.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

These guys rule. The Dark Elf cold ones are seriously nice models, I really wish GW would add them to the Lizardmen line. Even the old cold ones were better than the awful doofus-raptors they have now.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to believe that dakka post was sarcastic, but I'm afraid I know otherwise. :smith:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Business Gorillas posted:

Is a CSM Tzeentch/Tzeentch Daemons army gonna be any good if I actually do this terrible hobby?

edit: How about a Grey Knights (Thousand Sons counts-as) and Daemons? Is that even possible?

While Tzeentch demons can break the game through summoning spam, Tzeentch CSM are a little gimped on their own. Most units don't benefit from the Mark of Tzeentch much so it's not worth applying to things like basic marines, bikers, raptors, chosen, etc. Terminators and Obliterators (and Warp Talons :v:) get a decent invulnerable save out of it though the Mark of Nurgle is probably better for them. I'm not really sure how Thousand Sons perform at the moment since it's pretty rare to see people take them. They're pricy and slow, but they do have a baby sorcerer, AP3 bolters, and a 4+ invulnerable. Unfortunately, they die just as easily as regular marines to bolters. I kind of miss when they had 2 wounds each.

Trying to run Grey Knights as counts-as Thousand Sons with demon allies would be difficult. While it's technically possible, they'd be the worst level of allies and don't synergize well. Grey Knights have a bunch of wargear that messes up demons and now they generate powers from the Sanctic table which is intended as the polar opposite of the summoning one.

Edit: And even if it is counts-as, that'd just be plain wrong. :colbert:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Is there any sensible way to have a free-for-all with three players? It seems like we would be better off having 2-on-1 games with each side having the same total points to work with. My brother and his friend want to play some 40k, but I'm the one who knows the rules and has all the actual 40k stuff, so my options are awkward 3 player games or they play while I act as ref.
Unfortunately, 3-person games just don't really work in 40k. If you're teaching new players, have them duke it out themselves while you ref/coach.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

On the other hand, having a 1/6 chance of having to go Flat Out instead of shooting sounds just awful, so I guess it remains to be seen how useful it'll be.
That's not a new rule, it's just part of the fun. :orks101:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Imagine painting an entire army like this. :gonk:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This is probably a long-shot, but has anyone tried running a venerable land raider since 7th edition hit? I'm thinking that with the new damage table it'd be even harder to kill though I realize it wouldn't do anything to mitigate glancing hits. Is it worth the extra 30 points on top of an already expensive vehicle?

Edit: I'm not typically one for mathhammer, but I'm bored at work with Excel open. The upgrade would drop a close-range BS 4 meltagun shot from a 13% chance of scoring an explosion to 4.3%. That's assuming you'd only force a re-roll on an explosion result, but that's not bad at all.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jun 18, 2014

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

What codex allows you to take venerable land raiders?

Dark Angels. I originally had "Deathwing vehicle" somewhere in my original post and erased it. :downs:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I guess scoring DV Land Raiders can be cute. I don't know what's in vogue for Deathwing lists these days but bog-standard Deathwing Terminators still are not very good and you're paying at least 480 points for that Land Raider.

It's actually possible to take a Deathwing vehicle in the normal heavy support slot thanks to the FAQ. I hadn't even thought of giving one to a regular Deathwing squad until now though. It would make a lot of sense in a Deathwing army since they'd benefit from that objective secured thing. Dedicated transports benefit from that, right? The thing is, I don't play full Deathwing since my typical 2+ saves would see me tabled in a couple of turns. My plan was to just cram a Deathwing crusader full of Deathwing knights led by a souped-up interrogator-chaplain. :getin: This is a terrible idea, but should be :black101:/fun as hell.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Direwolf posted:

Yes, I have absolutely done this and it is amazing (though deathwing knights are terrible so I just used LC/TH terminators with a jump pack chaplain instead). Park a 14 AV 4 HP reroll-pen-results objective secured Crusader and ventilate any opposing Troops that get close, while delivering crazy payload.

I think I posted it earlier in the thread but my list is:

Belial
Chaplain w/ jump pack, melta bombs
10x Termies w/ 2x HF
5x Termies w/ AC
5x Termies w/ AC
LRC w/ 7x Assault termies (4x TH)

The 3 walking squads all DW assault in, Belial with the flamers so they can be perfectly placed for the flamer templates, LRC zooms up the board; enemy gets 1 turn of shooting at the army and then you assault absolutely everything :getin:
I remember seeing your list in the thread a while back and it seems like it'd be pretty fun. I'm seriously considering using that 10-man flamer squad. Something like that coming down early in the game is really going to mess with someone's plans. It's nice to know you've had some success with the crusader too. You're wrong about Deathwing knights though. They're a gimmicky-as-hell unit with fun rules and cool models. That's all that matters. :c00lbert:

AbusePuppy posted:

So here's the thing: your chances of being Exploded are, generally, speaking, pretty small. For Meltaguns and stuff not ignorable, but generally pretty low. Venerable is mostly gonna be useful for knocking Immobilizes and stuff down the Shaken/Stunned so that you can still deliver your cargo. And that's not a bad thing, mind you, but in 7E you're mostly going to die to HP loss, even on something like a Land Raider.

Haywire, Entropic, Knights/Wraithknights, Carnifexes, Gauss, etc, will all still gently caress you up good and proper even with the Venerable upgrade. It's not awful, but it is a pretty fair chunk of points for something that won't save you from one of your more common ways to die. However, since it is a mandatory choice when buying one as a dedicated transport for a Deathwing squad, all of this is kind of moot- Land Raiders with Objective Secured are pretty badass and probably worth taking. Maybe not tournament-winning good, but when that giant AV14 box tank shocks onto an objective at the end of a game and ruins someone's day, it will all be worth it.
Yeah, these are good points and nothing I was unaware of when I was thinking about this thing. Glancing hits will always be an issue and there's no way to mitigate them other than cover. I've run a standard crusader in 7th and found it to be plenty survivable so the Deathwing upgrade is definitely not needed. It is, however, a unique thing Dark Angels can do so I thought I'd ask in here before trying it out in my next game. Which'll probably be in about a month. :v:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I have a scout sergeant converted to use a combi-weapon. I just cut off a pistol while keeping the hand and replaced it. It's an easy conversion as long as you don't mind the guy waving a knife or chainsword around.

SRM posted:

It's more of a "nut up or shut up" dealie where people would rather see conversions (however misguided) than endless posts of hemming and hawing.

This reminds me that I really wish I had a decent light box to take pictures with. I'd like to show off some of my recent conversions, but my pictures are just dark and awful.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 19, 2014

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

:stare: I see that your trend of getting new avatars bought for you over bad online games continues.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Gate posted:

The SC thread is amazing to watch, from a distance. The number of goons who think that features being delayed repeatedly at a pre-alpha stage of development = terrible devs who are utterly retarded is astonishing. Whole thread is full of super entitled dicks.

Drake_263 posted:

Be fair, a whole bunch of Star Citizen goons had high hopes for MechWarrior Online, and we know how THAt turned out.
Unfortunately, I'm aware. I don't read the Star Citizen thread, but I'm one of those goons that got big into Mechwarrior Online back when it was in early beta. It was a really fun game before the developers ran it into the ground with some awful decisions. There's a lot of the same people throwing money at SC, I just can't bring myself to jump on that crazy train. You'd think they'd have learned by now.

:pgi::negative::pgi:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hey, have some mega-armored nobz:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

This banner is seriously cool. So is everything else.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

I somehow completely missed the fact that another 40K game was in the pipe. Looks promising, though with Space Marine to compare to it's going to have to be pretty good to match the last multiplayer experience (while it lasted :smith:).

It's not too hard to get three other people to play the survival mode. I still do it every once in a while. :unsmith:
But yeah, the regular multiplayer is totally dead. It was really fun while it lasted though. :smith:

I'm interested in Eternal Crusade because I have unrealistic expectations that it'll just be Space Marine with larger battles, quests, and assorted MMO junk. There's a gameplay video on their site that lends some credence to that. However, it's full of unfinished textures like everything else they've released so far. I hope it works out in the end.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

waah posted:

Yeah DOW2 multiplayer was so awesome. One of my favorite moments ever in gaming was a 3 on 3 in the original game before expansions on the long desert map. We were getting our tails kicked and decided to stop throwing units into the grinder and mass troops for one final push. At about 100 victory points left (to easily 375 or so for the other team) and draining we had to make our push and we took over the whole map against an enemy that wasn't expecting a tactics change. By this point we only had about 30 points left. Somehow we turned a 100-375 rear end kicking to a 7-0 win, stupid huge gaming rush and I wouldn't win another game the rest of that day, but man was that satisfying. Sadly the AI was terrible in multiplayer and it was a waste pliant against.

Here's hoping Dawn of War 3 is at least 75% as good as DoW 2 and it's expansions were.

Thanks for reminding me that my statement applies to Space Marine and Dawn of War 2. I'd be totally down for playing some actual DoW2 multiplayer, but my friends will only touch Last Stand. I like Last Stand, it can be really fun, but it doesn't come close to what the actual multiplayer could be.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Now that's a loving trailer. Goddamn. I absolutely love the fact that this is being made by the same people as E.Y.E. I have no idea what to expect from it.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pacheeco posted:

Also Landspeeders are 100% supercool and now I'm probably going to end up getting 3 for my BA army.

Land speeders are great. Typhoons are probably my favorite though. They've got good firepower and long range and can engage just about any target. They can just sit outside of small arms range and can be surprisingly survivable with jink. I've thought about running some assault cannon tornadoes, but I'm not sure if they're worth it in comparison. They'd have to get within bolter range. :ohdear:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sistergodiva posted:

Just bought some fire warriors and one of those cheap eldar clicktogether packs to paint before I try the other ones.

This is what I think I'm gonna use for a colour scheme, I also got agrax earthshade to wash them with. Not sure about the straps and belt colour, but I think the purple could look nice once shaded.

Criticism?

I think the colors you've chosen will blend together too much. Purple will work great on the armor plates, but the fuschia or whatever on the fatigues should be switched out. Some contrast would really help since everything will be a few feet away when you play.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lord Twisted posted:

I maintain a unit of ard boys in a trukk coming on from reserve combined with a waagh is great - they can absolutely pelt it up the field and hit combat with no casualties bar overwatch, and then beat the gently caress out of a target. Really worked in the last game I played vs Orks. But they do cost similar to like 30 foot Boyz.

But you can't assault the turn you arrive from reserve. :confused:
Edit: I also don't think you can disembark if you move over 6".

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 1, 2014

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

CyberLord XP posted:

The one strength I see in the codex right now is what Ralph pointed out, that you can easily flood the field with low armor vehicles. The tax for running a second detachment can be stupidly low (2x Grots and a Big mek =105 points) which means if you just want to be a fucker and spam one of your other slots it's really easy.

You could do a battle forged army with 57 Buggies 4 Big Meks and 80 Grots for 1845 points. That is a poo poo load of outflanking TL firepower (I'd probably take a few TL bigshooters to mop poo poo up after the rokkits have killed everything big).

Edit: You could also fit 30 buggies and 30 kannons in a list with only 2 detachments and still have a few points left over to gently caress around. I really want to try something silly like that to see if it's effective at all.

Man, I originally read buggies as trukks for some reason and was really, really confused. :psyduck:

If you can pull off something like this with proxies, go for it. I imagine 57 buggies would be absolutely hilarious even if they were ineffective. And that's Orky as hell. :orks101:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

AbusePuppy posted:

Yeah, if you're playing with limited detachments then maybe you might have a reason to take it, but straight from the book it's really a "why bother?" kind of thing. One extra HQ and three extra troops? No thanks, I'll take a second Combined Arms detachment and get two HQs, six troops, and three of every other slot instead.

I really think GW killed the different FOCs before they even started to roll them out. If things were more limited like in 6th (one primary, one allied, etc.) then you might actually have people weighing them as possible options. But working off of the Ork example, who needs 9 troops? The chance at Hammer of Wrath has the potential to be cool, can it be worth giving up Objective Secured? Most players would still end up going with the standard FOC even if they were limited to just one primary detachment. To be fair, this is the only altered FOC available right now so who knows what'll come in the next codex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't like making Ghazghkull a Lord of War because of the precedent it sets for future codexes. I frequently only take one HQ and if I had to effectively take two to grab something like Azrael or the Swarmlord I just wouldn't bother with them. Not that I do anyway, but at least they're an option. :v:

• Locked thread