Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Genghis Cohen posted:

So I gather from the chat about conjuration and the poor deny the witch chances, if you take a full psyker army (ie tzeentch daemons) geared to summoning, say 30 or so power dice a turn, you can produce new units reliably every turn with gently caress all your opponent can do about it. I mean that does sound really good, but I can't see it becoming the ultimate super-common default army for wankers. The units you ahve to start with are very specific and you would need a random number of further models in a box sitting ready. I mean in that video of the arseholes the chap with the daemons seems to just be taking random proxy models out of a big tupperware, he doesn't actually have 80 or so spare daemons.

Using cash to limit people taking ridiculous armies doesn't work. People will pay for an army, regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Moola posted:

Ok, I'll stop now, I'm very sorry.

We all know your shitposting isn't gonna stop.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I'm gazing wistfully at 40k stuff after three years away.

I feel a relapse coming on.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

SRM posted:

What are you looking at?

Blood Angels because I hate myself and hate being happy.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Blood Angels have some very pretty models nowadays.

That's basically my reasoning. That and I like jump packs and chopping poo poo up.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Blood Angels were my OG army and they'll always have a special place in my heart as a result.

Plus death company are Tasmanian Devils.

Yeah, Death Company were the hotness when I quit in 5th.

Doing some research and I've found out my main gripe with 5th (Vehicles Are King gently caress Infantry Forever) has been cured, which rules.

Still gonna take a Librarian Dreadnought as my HQ though because it's a god-drat Librarian Dreadnought.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

SRM posted:

Blood Angels are cool and they have some great models out now. Playing them in 30k would be cool too but they don't really have much support there yet, and if you're just getting back into this you probably wouldn't want to go for the turboexpensive Forgeworld option. Pick up the Start Collecting box for Blood Angels and you'll be off to a good start.

Yeah, I'll leave 30k for now. I'm not sure how many people locally even play it, but I know we've got a decent 40k scene.

Luckily, apparently kill team is popular, so that's my starting point to aim for right now.

(I'm still not 100% settled on Blood Angels anyway. It's between BAs, Grey Knights or combined Skitarii/Cult Mechanicus. I may have even said "holy poo poo" out loud when I realized AdMech are a playable army now.)

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 29, 2016

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

So I am offically off the wagon, I've ordered the Skitarii "Start Collecting" box because that is a HELL of a deal.

I am ready for some goddamn binary chanting and shooting cancer into dudes :black101:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Attestant posted:

I'm extremely pleased how they seem to be regaining some sanity and common sense as a company. Latter half of 2016 has been a real treat, especially.

It's amazing how far "Don't treat your customers with open contempt" can turn a company around.

Hell, I'm coming back after leaving during their peak of "gently caress the customer", late 5th edition.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

So should I assemble the Skitarii in the start collecting box as Rangers or Vanguard? Which will I get more use out of long-term?

(Also gently caress sake, GW, I thought you were getting better about including weapon options. One of each special weapon in a squad that can take THREE.)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

Some BOLS rumors regarding 8th ed:

This seems...good? Like, retaining depth while speeding up gameplay seems both perfect and kinda unachievable. Surely depth and speed are mutually exclusive.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, they were joined to his body with like, two discs inside his shoulders, except the holes those discs sat inside of were ALWAYS slightly too large, so you had to PACK them with green stuff if you wanted his arms to stay upright/attached.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Bombogenesis posted:

Grey Knights: Confession time, this is probably my favorite force in 40k if for no reason other than the aesthetic and being able to roll a fuckton of wizard dice. I have some of these guys already, a terminator/paladin squad and two squads of purifiers. Wizard tax makes them pretty "eh".

Go go go.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Holy poo poo the Alpha Legion rules:

Alpha Legion:
Free VotLW, cannot take marks.

Legion Tactics:
1. Chosen are troops. Chosen, tacticals and cultists can infiltrate.
2. If you lose your Warlord, another character becomes Warlord immediately: your opponent must kill all characters to get Slay the Warlord.

Decurion:
1. All non-vehicles have Shrouded the first turn
2. Cultists are Without Number

Decurion only has Chaos Warband as core(cultists are auxiliary).

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 3, 2016

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

My Skitarii box arrived!

I didn't realize how much bigger the Dominus is than regular infantry. He's more or less double the size of the rangers. He's also going to take an AGE to paint. I gave him the popehat because he is the most important, and therefore, gets the biggest hat.

Saving the Onager till the end, that's my treat for getting the troops done.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

The Dominus is a pretty cool sculpt with some nice motion and weight to it. Its kinda complex, but he's mostly mechanical parts. You can get really far just painting silver and gold or brass on his various innards and cabling, and then just kinda wash it. The only part that should really be hard or time consuming to paint is the cape, and maybe the vials of liquids if you wanna make them look real good.

Yeah, all the metal parts on the Dominus, Skitarii and Onager are just gonna get painted silver, nuln oil washed, and drybrushed silver again. Pick out a few details in brass and gold.

And I'm still bitter that they only put one of each special weapon in here. The unit can take three! Give me three of each!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

At least the Skitarii have multiple good weapon options, so if you get three boxes you can have three units with the right weapons.

It's alright, I've cleared it with my group that I can just say the other special weapons are all just X, since I'm not mixing them in units, just running 3 of a single weapon in a squad.

Probably Plasma Calivers right now, since I'm running the Dominus Maniple, and all those rerolls make Gets Hot far less scary.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

It's especially weird because GW famously hates the bitz market and would rather people only buy first party.

If I could get half a dozen calivers, I'd happily pay GW for them.

At least the Onager looks amazing, and the main gun seems like it'd be incredibly easy to magnetize.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 3, 2016

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Percelus posted:

i'm think about getting back into this cash sink and i have a bunch of unpainted orks and tau that could be used to get a 500-1000pt army up fast, which one of those lists is less of a mess atm?

Tau are, generally speaking, the most powerful army in the game right now.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Technowolf posted:

Our chief weapons are fear, surprise, unwavering faith, and FLAMING SKELETON SPACE MARINES!!!!!

Lists the nine forces in Codex: Imperial Agents:
- Inquisition
- Officio Assassinorum
- Deathwatch
- Grey Knights
- Adepta Sororitas
- Cult Mechanicus
- Adeptus Astra Telepathica
- Aeronautica Imperialis
- Legion of the Damned

Some digital only stuff, some new stuff, a lot of updated stuff. Does NOT replace any of those with printed codexes (GK, DW, CM), just allows people to ally those forces in easier.

Changes to Inquisitorial warbands: can now get squads from codexes with similar goals - Grey Knights for the Ordo Malleus, Deathwatch for the Ordo Xenos or Battle Sisters for the Ordo Hereticus - but still keep their acolytes, general hangers-on and space-oranguatan-mechanics.

If this does eventually lead to plastic Sisters, oh my god my AdMech are totally getting SoB and an Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor as allies.

Anyway, my horrible gaming story was getting talking to a GW staffer, thinking he was a pretty cool guy, he added me on Facebook, turns out he's a full-on Fascist.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I'm already looking at my fairly tiny AdMech collection and thinking "...I want a Battle Maniple."

Although I also want SoB allies when they come out. And I only have finite money.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Cool? I get that this is the iconic look for Sisters, but I guess I was hoping they would change it since the Sisters of Silence models in Burning of Prospero looked so different.

Sisters of Silence are not Sisters of Battle.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I hope they stick to how Sisters have always looked. The full gothic madness was perfect.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Apparently the GW Christmas boxes have a fleur-de-lis on them.

GW are actively loving with us now.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

aren't pathfinders also troops?

Fast attack.

Anyway, holy poo poo, JesusIsTehCool, that DA army is rad.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I'm seriously tempted to start a Word Bearers army instead. I know stuff like Possessed are garbage, but I've really grown to love their fluff, plus summoning daemons, putting Gift of Mutation on anything that can take it and having a chaos chaplain sounds rad as hell.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Uroboros posted:

Death Guard rules are so much better than the other legions you begin to wonder, everything else seems a welcome upgrade and more balanced. I'm unfamiliar with the Chaos Marine codex so I'm unsure who all has access to Vets of the Long War, but Relentless, FnP(reroll 1s), Fearless all for the low price of one less Initiative.

Basically every infantry unit except cultists has access to VotLW.

Also, if I do go Word Bearers, sweet jesus I'm putting Gift of Mutation on everything that can take it. Both fluffy and funny as hell.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

SRM posted:

Finally, I have an extra attack and a 5++

Yeah, but you stand up to plasma just as well as any other terminator.

God-drat that's cool. :stare:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

That is a cool tattoo but I feel like it might make minorities nervous

That's true, it does look a wee bit fash :ohdear:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

So, Imperial Agents is up for preorder on the NZ GW site.

Bad news for SoB players/those hoping for plastic Sisters:

"- A full army list for the Battle Sisters of the Adepta Sororitas"

That sounds a lot like "This is your update, now quit whining".

Especially since all the metal Sisters that disappeared from the store the past few days are back up for purchase.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

adamantium|wang posted:

I think consensus on the worst metal models to assemble in the Citadel range were a three way tie between the Thunderfire Canon, the Bretonnian Trebuchet and the Dwarven Goblin-Hewer. Notable mention to the metal Hurricane bolters, skeleton regiment command upgrades and metal SM Devastators.

Metal ogre scraplauncher. Oh my god the metal ogre scraplauncher.

Something ANAmal.net failed to mention was that metal bends really easily. Like, you could very easily snap any fairly thin piece, like a sword, with your hands with ease.

Now expand that to include all of those chains and spears and sticks.

Also, this didn't come with an instructions sheet. You were essentially given a few dozen pieces of anonymous pewter chain and planks, and that was it. You had to build it all, using superglue (remember, superglue doesn't set near-immediately like plastic glue does) on every single piece. And then, when it's finished, it weighs a good few pounds. And then you have to transport it to and from games, with all those little fragile parts held on with only brittle superglue and FAITH.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

What I really like about the current setup is how well they pair with the starter kits. If you were to buy "Start Collecting" for Space Marines, you'd get an HQ (Term Captain), Troop (Tac Squad), and an Elite (Dreadnought) choice, and have a little under 500 points. Then you add in one of these boxes and now you have your second troops choice, plus a transport, and you're looking at 500-750 points, depending on how you kit things out. It's a great way to expand your starting box into an actual CAD. I'm all for doing more stuff like this.

My only complaint is the CSM Start Collecting box and that new package fits that perfectly...except the Lord is a terminator, with no termi unit to join :arghfist:

C'mon, GW. Plastic power-armour chaos lord, please. Hell, even just throw the Dark Vengence Lord into the Start Collecting box, and it's perfect. Lord, two CSM squads, two rhinos and a Hellbrute.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Felime posted:

Yeaaaaah, that's nice to have, but not really anything worth more than a point or so on a mook.

I'd really love to see the game encourage more armies battling it out with a bunch of troops and not specialized crap, but I think that may be a pipe dream. Overpricing "Slightly nice" stuff on troops hurts that. Meanwhile stuff like 2+/3+ with a 2+ feel no pain gets to exist, though honestly, the more egregious stuff is easily solved for filthy casuals by not playing with people who pull that. General tone of the game and what it encourages means more on that front.

This is why I've fallen in love with Death Guard, with their new rules in Traitor Legions. Their troops are satisfyingly great. T5, Fearless, Feel No Pain, Relentless and, if you use the formation, rerolling 1s for Feel No Pain, AND get Shrouded if shot from further than 18". Bonus points for it fitting so well into Death Guard's fluff, where Mortarion wanted every regular marine in the legion capable of doing anything in combat (that's why plague marines get pistol/CCW as well as bolters!)

I totally agree though. The iconic unit for every army is their basic troops, and for more armies than not, they're considered a tax. Look at tactical marines. They're the poster boys for the entire franchise, yet most people only grudgingly take them. But I suppose if you buff the troops, it makes the elite stuff look less elite in comparison.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 13, 2016

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

ijyt posted:

Pretty great timing on the deliveries, the drug bit had me in stitches at work.

"Drug addicts don't have to worry about where to store their unpainted heroin!" cracked me the gently caress up.

Anyway, I'm gonna start my Death Guard army hopefully next week :getin:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

jadebullet posted:

Hmm, the LE Canoness rules mention codex: Sororita as well as Imperial Agents. Since Imperial Agents is the new update for them, maybe this is them planning ahead for a future codex.

I'm assuming it's just to make her backwards compatible with the old digital codex.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

I get the feeling it's really hard to get caught these days, seeing as every army is running a million different rules and formations and bonuses and-

I was having a proxy game using the new Death Guard rules and yeah, it felt like I was cheating when it was like "Oh, yeah, every guy in my army is fearless. And has Relentless. And has Feel No Pain. And all the Plague Marines have Shrouded if you shoot them from longer than 18" away. And if you get within 7" you have -1WS and I."

Typhus' plague zombies rule, by the way.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

The DG stuff is amazing. Not on a power level, but simply in how it throws everything at the wall. Well done, whoever it is that handled the CSM codex, well done.

Especially since it means the DG can be run super fluffy and still really effective. Relentless autocannon Havocs are brutal.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Not sure I'd throw 1k sons in there, considering they absolutely REQUIRE daemon allies or the use of Magnus to be even functional.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

The quality control even inside a single book is all over the place. Compare Death Guard or Emperor's Children to stuff like Night Lords (GW, Fear is nowhere near as valuable as you think it is) or Word Bearers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I thought the Word Bearers looked pretty nifty in the new book. Assuming you want to summon in daemons.

But they also have to pay the Dark Apostle tax to get most of their benefits, and Possessed are garbage.

• Locked thread