Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Ahahaha, what the poo poo GW? I just finally got around to picking up the 7th ed books and getting up to date, and I swear I was about to return them because I thought my copy was all dirty.

But I guess that's just like, the design? What were they thinking? I mean I get that its all grimdark but the top of the slip case seriously looks like somebody just spilled topsoil all over it and then wiped it off. I guess that's the idea, but jeeze, when I drop a bunch of money for fancy new books I really don't want them to look like they've been buried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

jadebullet posted:

Crossposting from the Oath Trek thread.

I have finished my Blood Slaughterer. I have to say, it was a really fun kit to put together and paint. i really like how the machinery and tubing has skulls and skeletal arms intertwined in it. Overall I am really happy with how it turned out. My intention is to run it as a Maulerfiend.

That dude looks sick, I like the rusted blue. The pointy bits look nice and sharp too. Is that for a specific army?

Boon posted:

Well I haven't gotten any painting accomplished, but I do have a level 4 Gothic Class cruiser, so there's that.

I can't wait until Armada's done and I can play orks. I'm about to unlock battleships with the navy and I'm having a blast.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Are the imperial knights pretty recent / new? I don't remember them at all. Games Workshop's trying to appeal to warmachine fans eh?

Haven't played since college. Or maybe they existed and its just nobody I knew fielded them?

jadebullet posted:

Thanks man. It's for my Forsaken Chaos Marine warband.

Is that like your own personal faction and colors? I haven't heard of any traitor chapter called the forsaken. If so, cool stuff.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

So I'm trying to play catchup on the changes since I used to play, seems like there's only 7th ed codexes for Marines, Dark Angels, and Tau? Is that right? (Really? Tau?)

So with how 40k always worked the 6th ed codexes for the other factions are still tournament legal or whatever, yeah? What are the chances that they'll crank out 7th ed codexes for some of the remaining factions, like Chaos, Blood Angels or Orks? Should I just go ahead and grab the 6th ed codexes since I hear 7th ed isn't very different from 6th anyways?

jadebullet posted:

Yup, it is my own personal warband. Not much is known about them in the Inquisitorial archives, but they appear wearing worn and rusty armor that displays the heraldry of various chapters upon their shoulder pads. The most common appear to be Raven Guard, but several other chapters have shown up in their ranks as well, including Ultramarines, Imperial Fists, and Blood Angels. The warband is suspected in being involved in several uprisings. They are strong in cultist activity, but those that fall to them tend not to fall to chaos, but instead descend into depraved madness, succumbing not to the temptations of the Dark Gods, but to their own twisted visions, and fear.

Sounds kinda like the Chaos version of the Deathwatch the way you've got dudes from different loyalist chapters mixed in. I like it.

Irate Tree posted:

I was trying to watch vids of the BFG:A multiplayer off of youtube earlier today. My conclusion is that it only attracts Brits and all but one of them are annoying as gently caress to listen to.
Especially that MasterofRoflness guy. gently caress that guy.

I'm a dumb American and I love BFG:A :911: Its a good game and well worth the $35.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SRM posted:

Eldar got a 7th ed codex as well, as did the new Admech guys. 7th is by and large pretty similar to 6th, but the psychic phase is wholly new.

Yeah I've been reading about the physic changes in the 7th rulebook, and so far I kinda like them. I used to field lots of librarians and I'm down for a rethink of psykers.

Thing is if I grab a 6th ed codex for like Blood Angels, is that going to work pretty well if I just kinda add in the psychic phase, or is it going to take some finagling and I may as well just wait for the official 7th release?

Technowolf posted:

Here's a list of all the current codexes. The only 6e ones left are Sisters Adepta Sororitas, Chaos Daemons, CSM, Inquisition, 'nids, Guard Astra Militarum, and Militarum Tempestas. Some of the older 7e 'dexes look like 6e ones because they don't have the Decurion-style formations that started appearing after the Necron book.

Ah thanks, this is kinda confusing. GW needs to work on making their branding a little clearer. The fonts were making me think the rest of those books were only 6th.

I was trying to find a list like this to make it clear what was which version, GW's website sure doesn't make it obvious and Amazon made it seem like some books were pretty old while others were published very recently.

If that's the case I'll just go grab some codexes then!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 23, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Now that they've been out for a bit, what is the consensus on the Skitarii? I'm still thinking about maybe picking up a starting box of them, it seems like a fairly good value, but I never know with GW. I like the Skitarii since they look like a fun goofy shooty army that has some neat melee.

Skitarii look cool as gently caress. Haven't played them but I'm thinking about picking some up.

PierreTheMime posted:

Just be aware that if you're using Skitarii you cannot legally field a Combined Arms Detachment or Allied army list, as the army has no HQ units. This limits you to the Battle Maniple FOC in the Skitarii book and the various formations available. As far as I know Skitarii cannot get Objective Secured, so they're cool and fun but pray to the Omnissiah you can shoot those CAD Tacticals/Ork Boyz/$troopunit off the objective in time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're free to take a Combined Arms Detachment of Adeptus Mechanicus or even Imperial Guard, Grey Knights, Space Marines, etc. and then have Skitarii codex formations in addition. So its not a so bad, you just really have to combine Skitarii with some other faction, adeptus mechanicus if you wanna be fluffy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Star Man posted:

This reminds me.

If I want to include a Culexus Assassin in an army of space marines, how does that work? Is the assassin an ally or does it just fill an elite slot? And, how do I go about adding an assassin if I field a demi-company or Gladius Strike Force?

If you make an unbound army, you can just take everybody and all imperium of man are super allied and so pretty much act like they're the same for most rules, they can join units together if they're independent characters and they can repair each other or whatever. But you don't get any tactics bonus or the capture point bonus.

If you want to make a detachment army, you'll have to find a detachment that allows you to use space marines and culexus assassins, which there probably isn't any. Which means you'll have to take one detachment of space marines, and another detachment of culexus assassins. As long as you can find a detachment that lets you take just culexus assassin in the codex for the assassins, then you're golden. If not you'll have to find some assassin HQ to go with them, but you're still good.

Really you probably want to play unbound vs unbound or detachment vs detachment, the whole "capture point rule" thing is just there if you really want to play your unbound army against some friend of yours' detachment army and try to make it work. I do like that GW put a lot of "make up your own story and do whats fun, screw the rules" in the rulebook for 7th.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

PierreTheMime posted:

This is true, but for a player starting out telling them "yeah you can play this army but you should also buy another army too", while very GW, might not what they want to hear. Cult Mechanicus is the obvious matchup for a CAD or ally but their Troops are slow and will be high priority targets because of their damage capacity. Plenty of other Imperium factions would work but really changes the style of play.

Its true. They're definitely a funky faction and probably not ideal for newbies. But you can make em work for sure if you really want to.

jadebullet posted:

True, but if you buy the getting started set for them it already is a mix of Skitarii and Cult Mechanicus, and running both of those factions together isn't going to feel as odd as say, marines and guard. It's just wierd that they split the book.

GW gotta get paid.

I had a good laugh when I saw that Dark Angels got their own codex. (But Black Templars don't?)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

PierreTheMime posted:

Dark Angels have been a separate Imperial faction for decades. Black Templar used to be but were close enough to standard codex that they just rolled them in. They may not strictly adhere to the Codex Astartes but they basically just more zealous Space Marines that don't spawn new chapters whereas as space vampires and more specialized chapters would be tougher to collect into one book.

:shrug: Back when I played Blood Angels got their codex out of a magazine and Grey Knights were still using a codex from like 3rd edition. The whole thing was in shambles. I didn't think Dark Angels had their own but there was definitely a lot of stuff out there I didn't even know about back then. I guess I'll have to grab the Dark Angels codex and see what all they put in there.

I'm playing catchup and to their credit GW seems to have cleaned things up in a big way. I actually really like the new 7th rules.

Was originally leaning towards picking up Blood Angels again like I used to, but now I'm leaning towards building a Chaos force instead (And possibly fluff it that they're the same faction as my old guys, now turned to the dark gods). And of course part of me wants to just go ahead and do both, and also maybe some xeno faction for a change, but there goes my wallet :retrogames:

Went looking for my old minis but I guess most of them got lost during a move somewhere back. I still have a Furioso Dreadnought though :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

jadebullet posted:

Blood Angels and Dark Angels used to share the Angels of Death codex iirc

Googling, that was like 2nd ed, so slightly before my time. We played 3rd, 4th and 5th. Looks like there was a Dark Angels codex at that point but I just didn't have it and my friends didn't either. :shrug:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I picked up the Dark Vengeance starter set, seemed like a good value and the fast way to get back into 40k. And a bunch of paints and brushes. And another codex. I guess I'm back into this poo poo deep now :retrogames:

If I try to like paint these Dark Angels as another faction, are people going to complain that they're technically dark angels models or whatever? People often mod their units right? I guess I just gotta see what people in my area are cool with. I've got a friend who'll play with me and I'm sure he's cool with whatever.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

PierreTheMime posted:

Only the grognardiest jerk will complain. What matters more (but technically isn't required anymore) is modeling your models with the proper equipment/weapons. What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG) is the accepted standard because otherwise things can get either unintentionally or intentionally confusing/vague.

That's what I figured. Although now I'm wondering how far I can push the WYSIWYG / "ai-is" rules, because the faction I'm thinking about making would be a renegade space marine chapter that's fallen to chaos but only recently and not completely, so I'd ideally like to modify some space marine models and use them as chaos. I figure nobody would complain about using dark angels as ultramarines, but can I get away with using dark angels as chaos marines?

If I did, I'd specifically color-code them to make it obvious which units they're supposed to be, and they'd be mixed in units with proper chaos marines to further drive home the point. And I might even further mod them with pre-Heresey helmets or something.

I don't really play tournaments so for casual play I think most people would be cool with it. And I guess I could always get some more proper chaos marines later on, and swap them depending upon if the person I'm playing with says its kosher or not. That seems like a good strategy.

Thanks. I kinda figured that anybody left with a 6th ed codex is probably in a so-so state. I guess I could play Blood Angels again and be more competitive than Chaos Marines, but honestly I'm just not that kinda tryhard tournament gotta-win player. I'm more about just having fun collecting my own force, painting them, and then having some casual battles with them where I get to see them kill some dudes and die in heroic fashion. If I lose more often than I win I'm not gonna throw a fit about it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You're 100% fine.

Cool, then I will do it for chaos! :black101:

PierreTheMime posted:

There's already a great traitor force for this called the Red Corsairs. They're Space Marine pirates more than devoted Chaos champions, but they still delve into Chaos enough because it's an advantage that the Imperium will never touch (the fools!) and technically their leader made a terrible dark pact to ensure their survival, so, there's that. It's a slick color scheme too, since while they have their own colors you can also just paint the marines as whatever faction they were and just put giant gently caress-off red Xs over their original chapter icons.

Yeah I was reading about Red Corsairs, as well as the Crimson Slaughter and the Abyssal Crusade. I've got some fluff going that these guys are actually my old Blood Angels derived chapter, whose pursuit of power in the name of destroying the enemies of the Emperor even at the cost of damning their own souls lead them to ultimately become tainted with Chaos. So I'd be going for a similar doctrine of battle to how I used to play (lots of assault marines and librarians) although now flipped around to Chaos.

I like the idea of making up my own bullshit faction so that I can say whatever I want without possibly conflicting some existing chapter canon somewhere in a chaos black library book I didn't read, although the little bit of story I'd come up with so far as well as the color scheme I like most is already so extremely similar to the Oracles of Change I might just go ahead and call them Oracles of Change. There also isn't very much existing fluff for the Oracles' so I could get away with making up my own stuff without conflicting something. Still might call them something else though...

Back when I played blood angels, one of my friends who played 40k a lot was playing grey knights, so we had to come up with excuses for my faction to be declared Excommunicate Traitoris by the Inquisition (usually related to the black thirst). So I'm thinking my story will be they were caught in the warp storm Dionys, sent on the Abyssal Crusade, emerged victorious, but were still declared traitors by the Inquisition, partially due to the giant number of psykers present and their sustained exposure to the warp. With nowhere else to go, they were forced to retreat into the warp, and were driven insane by Tzeentch. Now they travel the Immaterium battling Traitor Marines and Loyalist Marines both wherever they find them in a never ending Abyssal Crusade.

There's my dumb fluff :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MrSlam posted:

I think I saw the Dawn of Awesome guy on here once. If he does post here I just wanted to say thank you for your hard work and good jokes.

Spehss Mahreens!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

jadebullet posted:

Whippy sticks are actually pretty good if you cut them to specific, common lengths like 6in and such.

Whippy sticks are only good at whipping your opponent :orks101:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/Lost-Patrol-EN

Kind of disappointed its the standard Marine Scout and Genestealer models. Had almost hoped for some new sculpts for this at least on the Marine side.

drat that's boring. There's already a deathwatch vs genestealer boxed game which is the same thing but cooler. They should have made it Catachan Jungle Fighters vs Genestealers, that'd be way better.

Reynold posted:

I bought the BFG: Armada PC game after being pushed off the fence by everyone here talking it up. I'm not liking it at all. It seems like even on easy mode, the AI has a huge advantage in everything. It takes me FOREVER to destroy an enemy ship or transport, meanwhile the AI just zips around performing micromanaging miracles and weathering fire that would see my ships in a similar situation obliterated very quickly. There is no real tutorial to speak of, as the campaign doesn't currently let me do jack poo poo, and apparently that's where they intend to insert slow introduction of abilities and strategies. There is no clear instruction on how best to use different kinds of ships, their abilities, or weapons, and nothing at all to indicate the differences between them either. You're stuck just picking from one of however many ships available for purchase and hoping for the best. I'll try again when they actually release the drat game.

Never preorder anything ever.

I don't know how you're this bad. I'm terrible at RTS game and I can stomp the computer on Hard pretty easy. Armada is a fantastic game with really slick controls.

Are you just like horrible at naval tactics or something? Do you understand all the rules at play? Admittedly the campaign doesn't teach you all the rules that you need to understand. That said there is a tutorial, you get to play 3 campaign missions, not sure what you're on about here.

Maybe try a different faction. Especially if you're playing chaos, they're VERY hard to use well. Try navy and really look at your ships classes and think about how to use their strengths. Its not too hard to figure out how the game mechanics work, and you can ask questions in the armada thread for things you're not sure about, which is what I did.

Just put some effort in and learn the game dude, its a strategy game of course you can't just select all -> right click your way to victory.

Kharnifex posted:

Gee I hope they don't gently caress up Nids in Pc game BFG, they had it hard enough against Imps/Marines in the tabletop BFG.

They probably aren't even doing Nids dude. There's a small chance they will, but probably not. Its just Navy, Orks, Eldar and Chaos, with Marines as a DLC that people who pre-order get free. They announced one more faction is coming as DLC, I really hope its tyranids but I'm expecting something dumb like Tau or Dark Eldar instead. Nids would be a ton of work :smith:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 26, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

BIGASS BATTLE REPORT

Epic battle! :black101:

Hixson posted:

I couldn't find good GW or 3rd party tabards for my dudes either. Making your own out of green stuff truly isn't that difficult or as time consuming as you might think:

I could write up a tutorial sometime if there's interest.

Oh shiiiiit those are some good looking pre-Heresy Thousand Sons. I am very jealous.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

PantsOptional posted:

I may have found the biggest problem with Eternal Crusade. It's not netcode, or weapon balance, or anything to do with the technical state of the alpha.

No, what happened was that I logged in and voice chat was filled with people straight from B&C who were RPing as Space Marines, "brother."

I am very afraid of what happens when they implement Space Wolves.

I would just quote Dawn of Awesome back at them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Uroboros posted:

It is pretty much my dream to preach litanies of hate towards my enemy. Hell, remember when they used to play Rock music on blast out of tanks as Psy-Ops because it would drive insurgents nuts? They need to bring that out for the next war but instead it is the Imperial Guard speech from Dawn of War, but modified for modern war. "Enemies of America, hear me, you have come here to die..."

South Korea uses noise marines against North Korea

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/08/asia/north-korea-propaganda-music/

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Uroboros posted:

That double eagle with the skull in the center seems pretty cool. Maybe add some text within the wing interior. Down the road goals.

Careful, a lot of people would probably mistake you for a neonazi with a tat like that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Uroboros posted:

Working Apoth still.

These are pretty sick, any tips for making good gold helmets since I'm about to attempt the same? Just layer a couple shades of gold and give it a nice black wash for shading or what?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SRM posted:

You want brown, orange, or sepia wash generally. I've never used a green wash on gold but it could look cool - black will just dull it down and muddy up the color too much.

Ah thanks. I was never a very great painter back in the day but I'm really getting into it now, trying to learn how to not be so bad. I've been watching a bunch of youtube videos picking up little techniques and things I didn't know. When to use different color washes is one of those things I'm not super sure about.

Also I was looking at this one model's cape and trying to figure out if it would be better to use like a dark blue wash and then paint some highlights on top or just stick with brushstrokes of a couple different colors... I should go post in the painting thread I guess.

I've got a whole ton of these Reaper Bones minis that I got for cheap off kickstarer, so I'm using a bunch of them to practice first and see how the paints look layered and dried before I actually settle on the exact color scheme for my army, and having fun with it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DeadGame posted:

I assume if you start the game with all your units in reserve, you instantly lose on the first turn?

If nobody's gonna post this, then I will:

http://imgur.com/gallery/V0gND

40k is maximum cheese. This is a super super old version of 40k though.

Uroboros posted:

For gold bits I've been going Balthasar > Gehennas > Agrax Erathshade wash > Gehennas highlights on all raised areas > Auric Armor gold edge highlights > Rune fang steel fine edge highlights.

Cool, the Agrax wash was the only element I was missing (was thinking nuln oil just by default, dumb), I've got Balthasar, Gehennas and Auric already.

Ah yeah I wanted to grab some runefang but my FLGS was out of it. I'll have to find a non-citadel equivalent (better prices anyhow, I'm just a noob so I've stuck to citadel so far) or wait until they get some in stock.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Could I get some dos and don'ts for putting together a CSM army? I mean like I said before I'm not the most competitive gamer and I probably won't ever even play in tournaments, but I'd like to show up to 40k night at my FLGS and not get completely wrecked every time. I'd also rather know now so I don't buy a bunch of cool looking figures that I slowly decide are worthless and just sit there, although I kinda like collecting and painting as much as playing, so some units that I don't actually field isn't the end of the world.

I've heard a lot of people say that Chosen are worthless and not worth the cost over standard CSMs, that warp talons are garbage compared to raptors, that Berserkers aren't worth the cost because they're too hard to get into assault and useless until they do, that terminators are equally too expensive and too many things have AP2, Mutilators are completely worthless, hellbrutes aren't very good, etc. And in general it sounds like CSM are more expensive than SM but less powerful? Ouch. (How is it that SM have ATSKNF but CSM don't? They live in the loving warp! At least Slow and Purposeful isn't as bad as it used to be a few editions ago...)

I figure some of that is just the old grognards grumbling, or people min/maxing like crazy, but I also figure there's a kernel of truth to it as well. It sounds like most competitive chaos lists either as many Helldrakes as possible or Tychus with zombies, is that right? Kinda lame.

The list I was thinking about fielding would be like a terminator sorcerer with mark of tzeentch and whatever that other icon upgrade is for the really good invuln save, put him in melee with some CSM or Termies and let the force sword get some work between throwing out magic, then have two units of Thousand Sons as troops, possibly another Sorcerer as well to have tons of warp points, maybe even put that sorcerer on a disc of tzeentch and have him jetbike around throwing out magic, and funnel most of my warp points into the sorcerers and not the aspiring sorcerers (since they're stuck with just one tzeentch power, which everybody hates on for being the worst magic ironically, although doombolt and another spell seem pretty good) then have some Raptors to fast assault enemy heavies, maybe deep strike some termies or warp talons, and then have devastators or something as heavy backup.

How stupid does that sound and what should I probably avoid / pick up to make that kinda thing work better?

People seem to like forgefiends/maulerfiends, those didn't exist back when I played IIRC. I kinda like them and could be down to pick one of them up. I think Obliterators and Possesed look kinda dumb. I like Khorne Berserkers a lot but if they're not worth it I'm not going to force them.

I was just reading about the cheesy idea of putting an Ahriman in a Rhino and just carting him around to throw out mass warpfire attacks through the portholes and that sounds loving hilarious, although Ahriman costs so many goddamn points I could get a Land Raider instead. But Chaos Land Raiders are only so-so anyways? (Short of forge world)

Was originally thinking about picking up the Dark Vengeance Crimson Slaughter expansion for a cheap Land Raider and some termies and raptors, but now I'm not sure.

Help I need an adult :smith: Oh well, in the meantime I'm having fun working on my painting. Even if some of the figures in Dark Vengeance aren't so great they still look loving cool.

E: Ugh that was too many words.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Naramyth posted:

CSM is in pretty rough shape. The best things in the book are characters to carry relics, heldrakes, Typhus with zombies/oblits/havoks (kind of). The characters need delivery and the best delivery is honestly demonkin dawgs. My roommate plays demonkin dawg rush with 2 lords as his base and does very well with it. The Black Mace Nurgle demonprince is still a thing if you can support him and a L3 sorcerer with the Last Memory is a cheeky 18" nova that can be on a bike or in termi armor to mess things up. It's hard to say, but the best way to play CSM is to play Demonkin and ally in the bits of CSM that aren't terrible.

Demon dawgs seem pretty cool but how on earth are you supposed to actually mount a chaos lord on a hellcharger? Do you just glue him on top surfing? :lol: Do they make a forge world model or something I don't know about or do people just declare that he's riding one when he's not actually? (WYSIWYG) I have heard that Chaos Lords on bikes or chargers is tons of fun.

Black Mace demonprince sounds absurd so yeah maybe I'll work that in, demonprinces are cool in my book.

I like a lot of demons so I guess I'll splash heavy on them instead of buying a ton of CSM.

MrSlam posted:

Do Grots make Ork clothes? They have to make them en masse, it's hard to imagine that a single ork goes up to a single grot and says, "Oi, you make me a pair o squig-levver boots, a shirt, britches, an sum suspendaz wif da bukkles on em..." Maybe a ThredBoy makes all the clothes. He has instinctual knowledge of how sewing and tailoring works.

There's probably some Nob or Boss who'se got grot slaves cranking out clothes to support his teef empire.

evilmiera posted:

GW provides each set of Ork clothing personally and magially, because in all honesty Orks proper probably wouldn't give a drat about most clothing since they can survive most atmospheres.

They do however have the grots make those cute booties they all wear.

I could see some FlashGitz decking themselves out in sick duds, although then again they'd probably be too busy upgrading their guns.

Still I'd rather not have all orks go naked, thanks.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 30, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I know daemons are WFB/W40k hybrids which is cool, but that's why I was worried about the chaos lord mount.

Hm, I guess a WFB chaos lord works, although he's got a shield and no gunz. I'm not too confident about my greenstuff skills. Seriously sick sclupt though, guess I could grab that and just tell whoever I play that he's got a gun or whatever and :dealwithit:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Technowolf posted:

You could probably use some of the bajillion arms you get with troop CSMs and fit them on the fantasy Juggerlord. Or just glue a Bolter/Bolt pistol/whatever in his shield hand.

Yeah, just not sure how good a glued gun would look, and again not confident in my greenstuff skills. I guess I could maybe hack a gun in half and glue it on either side of his fist or something and it'd probably do okay...

Technowolf posted:

(CSM/Daemonkin lords can't take combat/storm shields because spiky marines must always and forever be inferior to vanilla marines).

Tell me about it :negative: or else yeah, I'd just give him a storm shield. Ah well. Chaos doesn't give a gently caress!

Thanks a lot! Helps me sort through which of the things are less-bad and totally-bad so I can make some sense of this.

Sounds like I should grab some Raptors and Termies and be happy with those, and then maybe get some Oblits for support even though I think they're fugly. Then either a Prince or a Land Raider as centerpiece. I'm pretty comfortable with that.

I'd rather have a Khorne Lord than a Nurgle Lord because of fluff, but I'm also coming around to just calling this a chaos undivided army at this point and doing whatever.

I should grab the Crimson Slaughter codex and see how that changes things I guess. Going CS and Tzeentch may not make much sense fluff-wise, but if I'm another renegade space marine faction using CS rules that worships Tzeentch I think that kinda works fluff-wise.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 30, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

jadebullet posted:

Edit 2: Fuuuuck, my wallet hurts. $100 for 3 horsemen? Well, $70 on ebay at least, but that hurts a bit. Still, a small bike squad would still work.

Yeah that's GW for ya :retrogames:

jadebullet posted:

Yeah, Undivided is where it is at unless you are running a specific faction like T.Sons or Death Guard.

I'm calling myself Oracles of Change which is like the red knockoff version of T.Sons, but I'm willing to open it up to just doing whatever.

I also think non-Tzeentch CSMs are cool to so whatever.

Milotic posted:

Oblit alternatives, I have some, as do others in the thread, they're nice.
http://wargameexclusive.com/shop/chaos/chaos-obliterated-space-warrior-mutant-i/
http://wargameexclusive.com/shop/chaos/chaos-obliterated-space-warrior-mutant-ii/
http://wargameexclusive.com/shop/chaos/chaos-obliterated-space-warrior-mutant-iii/
http://wargameexclusive.com/shop/chaos/chaos-obliterated-possessed-terminator-master-sergeant/

DO NOT GET THE NORMAL OBLITERATOR MODELS. They're finecast, and the all the guns are individual glue ons - they were forever falling off as I tried to glue them to stay on, especially the blades. Also finecast model definition is generally worse than plastic, and sometimes worse than metal. Also you can't strip them as easily. If you can avoid finecast, do so. The Plague Marine models are also terrible.

You should probably aim for a Chaos undivided army if you're running normal CSM. You'll be too hamstrung otherwise. You'll sometimes need certain elite units as troop choices, in which case you'll want to choose a Lord with the appropriate mark.

Yeah, you can always forge your own narrative with a renegade faction, it's what I've done - my fluff is that the remnants of two renegade Chapters have joined forces in order to escape from a particularly tenacious Inquisitor, and one side is falling to Khorne, the other to Nurgle, with the Nurgle dudes having been caught in more warp storms than the other, hence them having access to more screwed up stuff like Defilers since their techpriest went off the rails a bit.

I mean, yeah, its definitely going to be chaos undivided as far as the army comp goes, the only question is if I would try to fluff that as tzeentch and look the other way on having a couple khorne guys or not. The more I include of other gods the less I feel like I can get away with that, but fluff doesn't matter that much (yes it does).

There aren't any actual rules for undivided or tzeentch armies are there? Different formations or bonuses or something? I didn't see anything like that.

I remember in an old version you actually had rules for rolling your own space marine chapter and you could take whatever oaths you wanted to kinda flavor it your way, although most everybody picked the same few bonuses I think. Still, that was cool.

Crimson Slaughter and Khorne Daemonkin having their own Codexes feels weird but I guess that's just GW trying to apply the Blood Angels / Dark Angels codex spinoffs to CSM so they can sell more books or something.

E: Those Oblits :swoon: Soooo much better. I get what GW was going for with the whole warped Doom flesh, but it just looks ugly.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 31, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

drat that site has some cool figures

http://wargameexclusive.com/shop/chaos/death-corps-of-krieg-zombie-mutants/

oh shiiiiiiiit

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

jadebullet posted:

Okay, this is something I didn't think of. I was planning on running a DP from time to time since I made one that I like, but I didn't even think of running any demon summoning with it, but I really like that idea. What God would work best for demon summoning?

I'm thinking possibly no god, because then you can only take a single mastery level and put it in demonology (and get the primaris summoning free in addition to another spell)
If you pick a god, you have to take one spell of that god, which means having to go to level 2 and spend that on demonology, and then having to spend that on just the primaris alone so you can do summoning.
I think Slaneesh has the best bonuses? In which case you'd wanna go mastery level 2 or 3 on the psyker, or otherwise you could do a vanilla one with only psyker level 1 and put it in demonology.

Whoops, just checked the codex and you have to take a god. Haha.

In that case I don't think it really matters, just pick whichever has the best bonus otherwise. The perils of the warp all say no saves allowed to the Tzeentch bonus doesn't help with spellcasting or anything.

E: Not Khorne becuase they can't :cheeky: Otherwise I don't see any bonus that really matters. I guess slaanesh wouldn't help as much because you'd move at the speed of the demons if you join their unit. Or do you just use them for cover and leave them and summon more after you move? Haha

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 31, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

PierreTheMime posted:

I used to think this was an expensive hobby, then my coworkers started talking about their guns they buy for fun and it quickly became a "moderate income" hobby. I think I've probably spent somewhere in the area of $5,000, but over the course of 16 years. ~$315 bucks a year isn't all the bad compared to other things. Hell its cheaper than my old movie habits in my bachelor days.

That's true, gotta keep it in perspective. I had a co-worker drop $2000+ on an AR on a whim when that Obama gun scare thing was happening a few years back.

I actually have a good amount of money now and can totally afford to go hog wild on stupid hobbies like 40k (yay) but I used to be really really dirt poor and I dunno, I feel bad just spending all this money on "just plastic". But hey look at my space barbies! :dance:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

gunchat: I mostly just use range guns if I wanna shoot, but I own a Mosin which was pretty cheap so I didn't break the bank and still get to have a nice looking gun in my closet.

TheChirurgeon posted:

The Dark Vengeance + Expansion group has an overlooked formation that isn't too bad--the Chosen tax sucks, but you can make the Terminators work OK. The formation is called Kranon's Helguard and I've used it before to some effect--its primary function is giving enemy units -1 BS if they are within 12" of 2+ units from the formation, so taking rhinos for your mans and using those + The Raptors to harass enemies and lower BS can be pretty effective.

Most of the stuff I'd tell you about CSMs has already been said, but I'll add a few things:

- Havocs are generally outclassed by Obliterators, but they do have one advantage, which is that the 4-autocannon Havoc group has longer range and is your best source of AA fire outside of a Heldrake, Fire Raptor, or allied Soul Grinder.

- Outside of the Heldrake, the Forgeworld stuff in IA13 is the best group of units (not just vehicles) that Chaos has access to. If you want to use a dreadnought, the IA13 version is the flavor to use.

- Thousand Sons are expensive, but strong against marines, where having AP3 bolters is a massive advantage. They're OK against Necrons, Eldar, AdMech, and Tau and the bolters are meaningless against Guard/Orks/Tyranids. Your biggest challenge will be that you have no heavy weapons and short (24") range with your fire, so you won't be able to deal with vehicles and shooty armies will outclass the gently caress out of you. Also, bcause 1k sons can't charge, Relentless is mostly wasted on them. Also, the Tzeentch powers mostly suck. What I'd recommend/plan to do with my Thousand Sons is ally them with daemons, so you can use them as mid-range fire support and additional warp charge generators for a heavy-Tzeentch daemon army that has the ability to summon fairly easily.

- Most of the close combat units you've mentioned are really bad. It's 75% because close combat is bad in this edition compared to shooting, and 25% because those units haven't caught up to other good assault units in 7th (or even 6th) edition. Warp Talons don't have assault grenades, and so will typically go last when assaulting a unit (since most units will stay behind cover). Blind is worthless against most armies, and their ability to deep strike is both risky and nearly impossible to use well because they can't assault afterward and don't have any guns, so they will have to sit around for at least a turn after entering. Berserkers have a lot of S5 attacks on the charge but no access to AP3 weapons or anything that can let them take on heavy targets. My nightmare is having my Daemonkin berserkers get assaulted by a Dreadnought. They can't really hurt it because it's AV12 and they can't run because they're fearless, so they just sit there getting pulped by powerfist attacks until they die. Possessed are just overpriced and Mutilators are garbage. Berserkers are *slightly* better in Daemonkin (and probably decent if you want to put them in that Kharybdis formation), but not by much.

The reason Raptors are good is because they're fairly cheap and you can outfit them with a pair of meltaguns or plasmaguns, making them top-knotch tank hunters in a pinch.

-

Cheers, I really appreciate all the tips to help me catch up with the state of things.

I love Raptors and was already thinking about giving them meltas for tank-hunting so that sounds good. Yeah, I like the sons AP3 for murdering MEQs, and from the look of things a good majority of the people at my FLGS are fielding marines right now. That's exactly what I'd use them for, mid range plunking with some termies, raptors and daemons to charge the enemy and take out high-priority targets and keep them away from the sons.

Sad to hear that glorious hand to hand combat is kinda unfavored compared to ranged, although I'm sure its still very useful.

I didn't like the look of possessed at first but they're growing on me and seem kinda strong, but yeah expensive. Termies in a Rhino sounds pretty cool, I haven't had the best luck with deep striking them anyways.

Technowolf posted:

I meant replace the ENTIRE arm with a standard CSM one. They're both plastic models so it shouldn't take too much trimming.

Also, when you say 'glue' do you mean superglue or plastic cement, because you should definitely be using the latter. It gives a better seal and makes much less mess.

Ah okay. The pictures all had the dude with CSM chest and backpack but still had melee weapons so I wasn't sure how much I could mix and match, but if I can use CSM arms should be great.

Yeah I meant plastic cement, I have both that and superglue for metal figures. I'm out of date but I know the basics at least :)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 31, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

Yeah, I assumed the new model is plastic. GW has (thankfully) moved away from Finecast entirely. Well, except for old metal models that they are slowly retiring.

I'm very thankful I seem to have completely skipped out on the finecast era.

Metal figures are cool and plastic figures are cool.

Even when they're pro painted I feel like I can tell which are resin just looking at them, although not always true.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MrSlam posted:

So this is a Techno-Barbarian?

I think the techno-barbarians were more like cultists and those would be more like the thunder warriors who conquered them, but I'm not an expert on early 40k 30k pre-30k.

Heck maybe even the generation after the thunder warriors, the beak nose was later on like close to Heresy times I wanna say.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

PierreTheMime posted:

Slowly grinding through my first set of Overkill Genestealer Cult models. The Genestealers included are kind of neat because they're a hybrid of the old 3rd Ed. Space Hulk models with the back ridges and the "newer" more streamlined 4th Ed. versions.

Only 30 models to go for the first set down!

...and then another 68 from the other two sets. :negative:

Loooove these. You did a really great job catching the details. The jacket on the.... dominus is it? looks a little flat, but the jacket on the ... magus I wanna say, looks really slick, and his accouterments look good, and then that bone-white genestealer is like literally perfect.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Did you freehand those roses? drat dude talk about fancy.

Really love the gradient on the ... tank things. (I forget Eldar units! Those aren't prisms are they?) I think the warp spider color scheme is kinda funky but its a strong contrast to your other eldar.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Naramyth posted:

And 'nids, and like 4 flavors of demons, and those other 4 flavors of SM/SW/GK/DA that aren't battle company, and the 3 other eldar buids, and the 4+ Tau builds that are all super different. You are right, having the majority of the books be competitive with multiple builds is the worst

I was gonna ask earlier how 'nids were doing these days. After CSM they're the next faction i'd want to start collecting, I really like the look of their figures and how different they'd be to paint from the SPEHSS MAHREENS I'm used to.

Monoliths posted:

We actually finished 4 turns of an orks vs chaos 6k apocalypse! It took a great many hours and beers. Orks won the day, but it was very close. I took a bunch of pictures of our dudes looking spiffy, I'll find a sec to post them up somewhere soon. Brief highlights:

All in all a crazy spectacle, and honestly pretty exhausting. I'll be doing 1k games for a while I think.

Man, hearing "it took hours" and "we finished 4 turns" is kinda mind-boggling to me, but I guess that's apocalypse for you. I can't imagine playing at the 6k scale.

Cool to hear the other guy fielded Ahriman! TSons represent! (Even if he got chumped immediately :smith:)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Talked to a local guy about buying his old 'nids army for stupid dirt cheap, I'm pretty excited. I was going to look into picking up some nids after I completed my CSM army, I got the 'nid codex already, but now I may do nids first since CSM is in such a weird spot competitively and I've never played nids before but I've definitely fielded lots of MEQs.

These battle reports are epic, but I have to point out, nobody mentioned ... look at those loving eldar bikes on the floor! Holy poo poo that is an AWESOME paint scheme. Checkered racing gradient? :vince:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

They layouts and page breaks are different too, so that is the new version, but the artifacts and warlord boons are the exact same. Disappointing.

E: If you have previously purchased Codex Black Legion on iOS you can update your version to the unreleased 2016 one.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

Are those new psychic disciplines generic to everyone, or just special snowflake Codex SM?

I'm really wondering the same. I imagine they'll be snowflake to SMs for awhile, but could get FAQ'd into other races?

Irate Tree posted:

I was going to make a comment on how GW are so happy about putting out no end of marines with their own special 'dexes yet, won't give Chaos Legions a look in but if you're all going to have another conversation on misogyny then, well... I'll come back later, i guess?

Yes lets please talk about this instead. GW re-releasing the black legion and crimson slaughter codexes with slight updates and re-formatting and not actually taking a look at the CSM dex is a tragedy. Maybe they are but you'd think they could at least announce "hey we're taking a look at CSMs", but I guess transparency isn't really GW's thing.

• Locked thread