Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

SRM posted:

20 works for backfield squads; I run a 20 man blob in my retro Cadians since they're meant to hold down the fort while the Ultramarines go forth and kick rear end. 30 is a must if you're advancing. As for plasma being too expensive for a backfield squad, I wouldn't exactly disagree, but it does work nicely with autocannons. Grenade launchers may be the more reasonable alternative. I usually give my CCS a lascannon and a Master of Ordnance so they can Bring it Down! on a vehicle somewhere and I can twin link that sweet artillery scatter to make it land where I want. My Cadian CCS is just plasma guns though.

Bring it down is tank hunters/monster hunters now I'm afraid, so no more accurate MoO. Shame, there was a sweet period at the end of 6th where you could take a cheap psyker and have reliably TL, tank hunting squads. Still not bad now, and of course you can still take a psyker, it's just not as straightforward.

I do take plasma/autocannon on my backfield squads. It's ok, but given the plasma's tendency to shoot at long range, if that, and then kill at least one of themselves, I am considering dropping it. Also considering going from autocannons to lascannons. AP2 is a big deal. I will see how it goes. Wouldn't go grenade launchers as they are just a compromise - if you genuinely think you will get close enough, by all means take plasma.

I would definitely consider weapons on my CCS, but in the old codex you needed LoS to the target (ie what you wanted your troops to shoot) to give orders. When they took that away I sort of thought 'bang, CCS is never coming out of total cover if I can help it now'.

I am really excited about taking some inquisitorial allies and/or assassins. Going to paint my first inquisitor this weekend. And I have ordered the rest of the assassins. Going to paint them all up soon as I'm done with the current batch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Yeah, that one is basically different but as-good as before. Chimes even better with prescience than before of course. Overall I think the orders in general are better/more flexible. Ignores cover (used to be re-roll successful cover save) is huge, for the junior officers there is just a lot more utility. Even more than the content, the increased range for junior officers and the relaxed LoS/target restrictions are a godsend.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

Transports 20 and its probably AV14 or AV13. I bet it's going to cost 150 points or less, which includes a demolisher cannon. That would make this one hell of a good transport. God damnit forgeworld why can't marines have something cheap that's better than the lovely old rhino :mad:

Where are you getting 'demolisher cannon' from? I don't see one there. If it's any comfort most FW transports are overcosted. I really like the idea, in huge games, of those Gorgon super-heavy transports, but the points cost is a joke.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
One of the absolute worst models in the game I recall, unless they have changed the rules somewhat. It's a small transport capacity on an essentially unarmed model for a disproportionate price.

Bulbasaur, I have racked my brains and come up with nothing - what is the 'angry tractor'?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Awesome model, not seen the rules for it yet. Would love to play against a mechanicum army.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

I like how its just floating in the air

Haha, it cannot be unseen now!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Definitely fully assemble the model including all magnets, then prime + paint.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I cannot see that without registering on tumblr!

WD is just another exhibit in the 'GW staff do not understand rules' trial. I mean what they pass off as tactical advice is either billy basics or sometimes just plain wrong. I admit though, really competitive advice would showcase the fact that the game is not balanced and a player buying models purely to win games would only even consider buying a 3rd of the options available to an army. (not every army, only about 1/6 of the armies available)

Shout out to ineptmule, I finally got round to buying/playing the game Space Marine, and it kicks rear end. Not very deep or complex, and I have to play as a fancy-dancy hoity-toity Ultramarine, but drat good fun.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Tequila Ranger posted:

Now its time to play Scenes from a Commissars Hat!

First topic is... Things you can say to an Inquisitor, but not your girlfriend!

Purity is my armour.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Post 9-11 User posted:

Is Lord Solar Macharius absent from the latest IG codex? :smith:

Solar Macharius has always bugged me in 40k. I like the idea of space-Alexander, but the implementation is terrible. To a lesser extent Creed is the same. Those sort of characters are involved at too great a scale to show up on the table. I know scale in the 40k background is a huge can of worms, but I leafed through the tie-in books about Macharius (completely forgettable as far as I recall) and it was basically him doing a junior officer's job, personally leading assaults, etc. Silly thing to complain about, I know, but the idea of a general capable of operating on such a high level is really cool and has never been handled right.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

JerryLee posted:

Being able to spend points on the influence/leadership of a particular commander to give you a special rule or ability without having them show up on the table would be fluffier.

Of course then GW couldn't sell you their model :v:

Good point. To continue on a tangential whine though, there are too many 'invisible' rules in the game these days. Am I being a grognard if I think that? I mean rules which are not directly tied to a model or physical aspect of your army - things like formation bonuses, warlord traits, etc. Even psychic powers to some degree, though that is even more part of the 'too much random poo poo to roll for before even beginning' problem. A few special rules are what make armies unique, but there is so much stuff to keep track of. I can remember when a few very good special characters had bubble of effect that improved their own units. Now it's pretty much a universal thing and is sometimes applied formation-, detachment- or army-wide even without a focal model. I just get the impression the game is a mess.

On a more constructive note, I think that is a good army list Lord Twisted. I agree with the advice you've just been given on priest/yarrick placement and mobile MoO. I really, really agree that separate HWSs are a bad idea. I no longer take them if playing for keeps. 75 pts is better spent on an equipped infantry squad than those 3 bases. The concentrated firepower is tempting but it will only get 1 turn in - too many good armies can put a few S6+ shots down and just take them off immediately.

I am also not sure that 4 psyker levels is worth it in your army. You could save yourself 50 pts and take 2 lvl 1 psykers instead and still get a bit of that sweet sweet divination goodness.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Sir Teabag posted:

He could drop the psykers down to lvl 1, drop a few conscripts and get a unit of veterans with meltabombs and a demolition charge to nuke any walkers or daemon princes that get too close. Or to whiff completely with the demo charge and blow themselves up! :madmax:

I have always wanted to mess about with demo veterans and/or demo charge spec weapon squads. Even got the bits, never quite got around to it. I think they could be effective with valkyries or maybe (this is a bit cheaty) escape hatch shenanigans.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Yeah, that is a pretty good use of them - you may want to go for lascannons rather than autocannons in my book, I have been disappointed with autocannons since the vehicle damage chart was changed for 7th ed, but that could just be me.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

SRM posted:

They're also a fun painting/modeling project:

Oooh, excellent. That squad sort of reminds me of the unit in Dawn of War 2 for some reason. I have the FW cadian bits that look like anti-tank mines. One of the neat things about IG is sorting out your special weapons/heavy weapons/sgt loadouts etc in a a sensible way. EG I am at full stretch to field a toned list right now, but I have an actual plan of how many more riflemen, sergeants, alternate special weapons I need to be flexible, while still being able to field almost everything in some sort of orbat.

Playing this game Space Marine, and it really nails to me what they should be like. Y'know how in most shooting games you sort of have to suspend disbelief that 1 soldier seems to be doing the entire war on his own? For space marines it is completely apt. And yet on the tabletop they are just ok, pretty elite, shooty infantry. The prevalence of things like artillery, plasma etc make them relatively fragile. I would love to have an army from one of the more knightly sort of chapters, but I just don't think the playstyle lives up to the image.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Big Willy Style posted:

Am I dumb or is the only reason you would take storm troopers over vets is to deep strike in a min unit with 2xplasma or Melta because I cant see any other use that vets dont do better and with objective scured.

That is exactly why I take mine. I would agree that deep strike is the main reason. Some people do (I have heard) take several full units and really do a mass drop, but it sounds like a big risk to me. Obviously at 13 points per, the actual troopers are something of a trap option. The AP3 of their rifles needs to be within 9" to rapid fire, and it is often impossible to get an officer in range to give FRFSRF. One thing I intend to try is building a command squad (ie 4 plasma guns) and fielding 3x5 storm troopers as allied tempestus militarum. That way, as I understand it, the normal squads will get obj secured, and the command can order itself (or another squad if I wanted to for some reason) to shoot TL or with preferred enemy.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Really stoked to see the tyranids getting some love - let's hope this is the end of the continued 'gently caress 'em' era of tyranid rules. 75 points is still a bit much for a model with very limited offensive capacity.

I find drop pod armies quite hard to fight with my mostly-shooty armies (eldar and guard) so I think tyranid drop pods will be quite fierce though. What gets me about the SM ones is the objective secured. It's quite a lot of AV12 to have to kill for very little cost. These tyranid ones will not get objective secured but look like they will present a good opportunity to contest objectives etc toward the end of the game.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

PierreTheMime posted:

To be fair, SM Drop Pods cannot wander ponderously onto objectives if they scatter and their shooting is far less good.

Can't wait to drop 4+ Tyrannocytes and hit the table with 20+ large blasts a turn.

As some people have already alluded to, there had better be something more than just deep strike for 75 pts! I am not sure if they are really usable en masse in competitive play. But I agree with your instinct that the barbed stranglers are the way to go. A big factor will be how many they can actually shoot - anyone have any info on this 'instinctive fire'?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I would think it's impossible - the rules say you can only transport onto a board and the unit inside must deploy that turn, cannot move or assault but may run/shoot. You cannot pick up units after arrival.

Edit: beaten like a red-headed broodspawn

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

PierreTheMime posted:

Absolute worst you'll have to have the White Dwarf, which is not a bad deal for $12. I use the WD for my Militarum Tempestus, especially since the only order I ever issue is to twin-link things.

I feel obliged to point out that preferred enemy is better if you're not shooting at a vehicle, especially with plasma guns (I would usually advise taking 4 plasma guns in a command squad and leave the meltas to the normal squads).

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Can someone clarify for me how a quad gun (on an aegis line) works now? I get that it's no longer in the core rules but in stronghold assault - with the skyfire/interceptor changes from 6th ed, does it now need 6s to hit non-flyer, non-skimmer targets? If so I may have cheated a bit at that tournament.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Esser-Z posted:

Yeah, it now makes snap shots against ground forces.

Ah well. I am (even before realising that) a bit torn on whether it's a good include. On the one hand, 4+ cover is really good, but there should already be means of getting that in one's own deployment zone, and you can't put the aegis outside of the DZ so it's useless for actually advancing up the field. The quad gun was useful for me against skimmers and flyers because you can man it with a commissar/officer, and give them orders, potentially making it BS4 TL with tank hunters! But if it is only for use against skimmers/fliers, that kind of confirms my gut feeling that it's 100 points that should be spent on a unit instead.

Love the idea of stronghold assault though. If I ever have a house with game room, one of the things I'm blitzing is getting some bunkers and defence lines scratchbuilt so I can play themed defence games with my imperial guard.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

raverrn posted:

Honestly the Red Scorp ability isn't THAT good. Its' 5+ instead of the IH 6+, but it's tied to a certain precisionable model and is only on Tac squads.

True, but it is still a pretty good advantage for FREE. That is a big thing with all the SM chapter tactics really, it is just a little extra at no cost. Most of them are situational, and I think the reason the IH CT are so popular is that they are constantly useful. Reducing the wounds you take (bar S8+) by 16% is nothing to scoff at.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I would suggest a mix of lightning claw and thunder hammer terminators - the extra attacks are a really big deal once you get bogged in. Power klaw attacks etc can still be nominated onto the storm shields.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

SRM posted:

So a Stormtrooper army centered aroud 10 man squads in the fast Tauroxes backed up with tyr command squads in Vendettas. Best idea? Worst idea? Part of me thinks it'll play like Imperial pseudo-Dark Eldar. I'm just thinking about projects and I'm kind of burnt out on old poo poo right now since all my metal models are chipping like crazy regardless of how much varnish I use.

Eh, I think it wouldn't be that great. Their formations (4 squads in tauroxes plus a commissar, or the same but in valkyries) have a good bonus though, I think they are both TL shooting on the squads the turn they disembark. The problem is scions/stormtroopers are just not great at 13 points per for a gun which while AP3, is S3 and has a pretty punishing 9" rapid fire range. Their plus is in their special weapons, not their rank and file troops. Likewise, tauroxes and valkyries have useful firepower if they are taken as transports in a rounded force, but they are not the heavy-hitting pieces you need to win games as IG.

I love stormtroopers but I wouldn't really go beyond using a platoon in my elites slot in a big IG list. That said I would consider going for a valkyrie formation backing up a conventional list. Take a fleet officer and try and get that mass drop in.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Lord Twisted posted:

Yeah the most broken things from IA:13 which stood out to me:

They can take so many cheap hordes it's not even funny - average of 3 pts a model. Admittedly most of these have no saves, but you can grab cover most of the time. You can just spam 20 man militia squads easily.

110 pts for 2 bs4 Melta guns in a chimera, in a 5 man vet squad.

120 pts for 3 thudd guns at bs2.

60 pts for 3 rapiers at bs 2 (str 9 ap1 ordnance twin linked)

85pts for a small blast str 10 ap1 armourbane shot at bs2 from a fixed medusa emplacement

Hellhounds are a flat 10 pts cheaper than in IG codex as they're bs2 which doesn't matter. Same with wyverns (they're twin linked anyway)

Other than that it seemed to be probably the best forgeworld book I've seen (not that the others are bad). Tbh taking 60+ objective secured militia with a pair of hellhounds and a squad of artillery as allies in a CSM list is excellent.

Also Hollismason I seem to remember you have a demon fetish, 15 pts nets you a 12" bubble on ANY vehicle which allows rerolls of demon summoning rolls. You can reroll the same number of dice as you have remaining HP but you take a pen hit if you fail after rerolls.

E: bs3 is a flat 10 pts upgrade for any squad or emplacement

This poo poo makes me so jealous as an IG player. (I know, IG are a perfectly strong army and need no help) Heavy weapon squads, which I have about 8 of and are really cool, are worse in every way than those rapier batteries. FW does not understand how points costs work.

Hornets are another case in point (I am an eldar player too) - the other weapon options are ok-ish, you pay a little more than a war walker or vyper but it's worth it. Then boom, pulse lasers are the same cost as the vastly inferior star cannons or bright lances. It's completely out of the blue, any random player writing rules off the top of his head would have spotted that was a mistake.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

I've said this before but my biggest issue with the main GW codex fiction is that they've started taking themselves far far too serious when it comes to writing it.
The worst offender I know off the top of my head is the Scion codex which talks about students being ground up and used as mortar for walls among other things because that's grimdark and that's what customers want these days. I mean there are some amusing things such as the obvious Alpha Marine cult cell but that's still mired in overly grimdark material.
The IG codex is all about how Guardsmen are all thrown in the horrible grinder of war and how things are so incredibly grim and dark and so on. It's boring, really really boring reading.

I agree with the over-the-top-but-not-self-aware bit. I actually had a good laugh reading the scions codex at how silly the selection crap was, but I don't think that was the authors' intent. I mean there was one vignette where they had two promising students who are presumably by this point super child soldier SAS troopers, and they had one execute the other as a test of loyalty. Not the old joke where the gun is actually empty, one actually kills the other. And this is sort of standard procedure, so that is 50% attrition on your finished article there, after all the other ridiculous one in a hundred survives training stuff. It's beyond parody but written very straight.

@Abusepuppy, I see your point about similar stuff IG can get, but it's telling that that is all forgeworld or allies shenanigans. While I like forgeworld stuff and have some aesthetic upgrades and some of their eldar flyers, it would be nice to have similar options in the codex. I've always thought it odd that IG, the conventional heavy war army, has no artillery in their book while things like eldar and SM that are all fast-moving future manoeuvre warfare do.

I think this just highlights the messy state of the current rules. For all its faults I really liked that 5th edition was about putting every army into 1 codex book, and increasing the options within that as much as possible via force org changes etc. Now we are going back to the state of late 3rd edition where a lot of armies (particularly when players want to get the most competitive stuff) are drawn from several limited edition or little-known or out of print magazines/downloads/supplements/campaign books on top of the regular codexes. This sort of thing is obviously meant to add to narrative play or custom scenarios, not to be part of a massive toolbox of shenanigans for tournaments.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

LordAba posted:

I think you are blowing it out a bit. Any wargame is like this: what if a new person buys a Gargantuan for Warmachine/Hordes? What if they don't buy a knight for Relic Knights? They basically have an unplayable army. How do you go choosing an army if there is a mercenary component? Malifaux has a faction that is based on mercs, and one that is mostly cross-faction yet it works.
Granted there is such a thing as TOO much choice, but it's fairly easy to cut down on choice when making an army. That's the point of fluff (or at least it should be)... Inquisitors have good rules but I bet most people got them because Eisenhorn is a bad rear end.

A cheaper starter set wouldn't be bad. Free rules for new models are required if the publication is limited (like the new Fantasy models, new Tyranid models, etc). Anyone new to the hobby doesn't need the other crap, and you will either be playing in an established environment (which is hopefully full of poo poo-lords) or starting another person so the starter set works well.

I wonder why GW doesn't have gateway sets. 2 troop, 1 HQ, codex, mini-rules for a reduced price. Can't be that hard... hell just make them web exclusive so you don't have to make fancy boxes for them.

I see your point and actually I like the allies mechanic and think it's fine. IMO having multiple detachments beyond 1 core and 1 allied is too far in a rules-are-god competitive environment, allies are completely ok. The multiple CAD detachment thing is a really weird thing for the game designers to put in the rulebook as it makes games essentially unbound. But that is not a big deal. Quite frankly in casual games I love to play against some guy with a lovingly created army led by an inquisitor with like 3 different space marine factions fielding squads and then a force of storm troopers and some imperial assassins. Would be fine with a codex drawn from 4 different armies in that case. In practice, boom, eldar with imperial knight allies summoning daemons everywhere.

What I am more worried about are 'invisible' rules, eg formation rules and other bonuses which can be changed by the configuration of the same models. Inevitably competitive players pick out these things and therefore quite a few armies at a tournament I attended recently used 3 knights in an 'adamantine lance' formation. This confers a very powerful bonus on an already good unit (re-roll inv saves) for no better reason than the player is fielding 3 of them within a certain coherency. I get why the game designers probably write formation rules - to describe the tactics and units used by the fictional armies and to give players an incentive to use them. I am also aware that a suspicious man might point out the psychological effect of letting everyone with 1-2 imperial knights know that they'd get a huge buff in that upcoming apoc game if they bought a third . . .

These formations tend to be in limited edition books, I believe the knight one is the Sanctus Reach campaign book. Basically more and more special rules and potential bonuses, buffs, saves etc are piled on models by all this bloat. One very common piece of advice I've heard for guard players who want to field mass leman russes is to use this one 'steel host' formation which grants preferred enemy in a similar way. In 3rd edition all the best units were just ones with good stats or heavy weapons for cheap cost (I remember some shenanigans with chaos characters, that's about it). Now you ain't poo poo if by stacking allied characters, psychic powers, formation rules etc you don't have a great invulnerable save, potentially stacked with FNP or something, 6 special rules, shrouded, poo poo is just orders of magnitude more extreme.

Another example is the warlord traits, random scenario/terrain rules, all the poo poo that can change game to game if both parties use the same army list. There is too much to remember and set up in the game as now. I love that we have more options, but it only works if it is a sandbox based around narrative play. Which I would love to do, but like many guys I move fairly often, I don't have some hobby heaven near me, when I can grab a game with someone I know we are likely to play a straightforward pick up game and being normal, competitive-minded friends we will try and build strong armies. It would be easier and cleaner if the rules were less bloated.

Sorry for being a bit of a grognard. TL;DR Games workshop has no idea of game balance or competitive play - more at 11.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

LordAba posted:

I mostly look at the campaign books that a lot of the formations are in as legit campaigns. Otherwise it would be like going to a historics tournament with WWII tanks versus bows. Though I see your point. It's up to the community to draw that line if GW doesn't (and to honest, why would they if it might cost them sales?).

Yeah, but for whatever reason the tournament scene doesn't seem to draw that distinction - they see it all as a big soup of 40k rules. I agree it's bonkers frankly.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I don't see why you're telling me to 'grow up'? I'm not saying anyone should arbitrarily limit what they use, and I'm sorry if I come off as whining - I am just stating where I think the rules need to be reined in.

I absolutely wouldn't stop any tyranid player from using their new models. That is a (as far as I know) isolated example of new units+models being introduced outside codexes, which games workshop has traditionally avoided. I am saying specifically that there are too many rules across too many sources that give benefits/effects which are divorced from the models.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Sir Teabag posted:

When we threw in the towel he had two wave serpents, an invulnerable war walker, a solo farseer on jetbike with runes of "I can never be hit ever so don't even try", 1 HP Crimson hunter and two wraith guard left on the board. I had an untouched twenty man blob with missile launchers, company CS. The DA player had Azreal and a veteran from his command squad left. There were some pretty epic moments where we were kicking rear end. Like when my platoon command squad hopped out of a zooming vendetta to flame a unit of rangers and completely destroyed them. But like, even with everything going right for us it still was barely enough to make a dent. Super frustrating.

Competitive eldar units are some of the best in the game and very hard to beat, but you are maybe over-exaggerating their invulnerability here. For example an 'invulnerable war walker' is just AV10 with a 5+ save, it isn't as tough as you are implying. You yourself point out that he had well under half his army left, so it is hardly 'barely enough to make a dent'! It sounds like you took a decisive but hardly one-sided loss, which happens to everyone sometimes. Don't let it get you down or convince you the future is hopeless.

Some tips:
That farseer has an excellent protection from a 2+ re-rollable cover save. Use your Senior Officer orders to shoot him with the ignore cover order. Use S6+ weapons (eg those missile launchers) and the second he fails one of his unexceptional armour or invulnerable saves he is toast. If you cannot get him in assault or with ignores cover weapons, conserve your firepower and leave him alone - concentrate on what you can kill. If you can target him, do it to remove his buffs and get that sweet sweet slay the warlord point.

Wave serpents are night and day between shooting and assault. Get those assaults in any way you can! As pointed out above, jinking will also seriously reduce their firepower. Make sure you enforce the rules and get your oppo to declare if he is jinking before hits are rolled, don't be afraid to be blunt with him about this - mention it at the top of each shooting phase and then make him stick to his decisions. Keep track of when he fires the shield so you know which are good targets for, say, deep striking melta guns or vendetta las cannons.

Post your list if you like and maybe we can give you some tips to tone it up for facing that kind of army, which fair enough is perhaps the toughest in the game at the moment.

EDIT: everything AbusePuppy just said is spot-on.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Formations: to return to the theme of people picking formations for maximum power rather than for flavourful imagery. There might as well only be a very few as far as competitive play is concerned. The ones that buff up pisspoor units? Never taken. The one which add a situational or negligible effect to units? Never taken. The ones which allow you to take a load of extra top-tier units outside of a FOC and/or provide a great bonus to top-tier units? They're a no-brainer which should probably be worked into most army lists that use their component units, given that it's essentially special rules for free.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

BuffaloChicken posted:

Cutting off their nodes to cyte their face.

This is it. This is the perfect moment.

Seriously, how did no-one else respond to this!?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Sir Teabag posted:

If you're interested in Guard, the cheapest way to get started outside of second hand etc. is probably to buy two Cadian fist boxes (chimera plus ten men) and then two tanks to use as your HQ. Add more tanks, planes, and artillery to taste. So you'd have two veteran squads in transpots with your HQ tank squad to do the heavy lifting.

The battalion boxes aren't bad either, but if you want to run platoons as troops you'll need two.

There are pretty good savings in the battalion boxes and IG need the numbers, I would just bite the bullet and order 2 Cadian Defence Forces. £150 from Dark Sphere, similar from any other discount retailer. Then you've got enough bodies to field, say, a couple squads in chimeras AND a platoon to protect your tanks, etc.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

Correction, he's not painting 60k points worth of Eldar, he's having 60k points worth of Eldar commission painted, including like 20 assorted Forgeworld and GW fliers plus 3 Vampires :signings:

I obviously don't want to be a hypocrite or tell anyone how to spend their money. We are all pathetic consumers, and there's the old psychological trap of 'anyone who spends less than me is a scrub, anyone who spends more is wasteful' thing. But when it is taken to that extent it's hard not to stop and stare.

A similar sort of chap I saw (on another website) had pretty much all the Mierce Miniatures models commission painted to a real 1st class standard. Someone posted stating how much it must have cost, he replied that it was only the tip of the iceberg and showed pictures of his gaming basement where there was an enormous fully modelled table of a castle with dungeon underneath. Commission painted models all over it, it was just mental.

So I assume some people who are independently wealthy take this sort of thing to the extreme. I can see why, I look at those now and goggle, but if I won the Euromillions lottery tomorrow I'd certainly end up with more models than I have now.

Found it: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/120/542954.page HOLY poo poo gently caress.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Morachi posted:

Actually, its 92k Of Eldar, I periodically update the slider as to how much has been painted. Currently over 80k has been allocated to painters of the 92k total.

Also, the purchases were mostly done via a good mate in the US with a distributor account which worked out to about 65% off the Australian RRP (Prices here are anally widening at the best of times). Only about 40 miniatures in total were recasts. The cost has been spread over 17 years I might add, so no more in total than anyone with a sporting hobby per year. I can't take all the credit, LOTS of people have helped get the Warhost to the state its at, a metric crap-tonne of OOP miniatures were donated in a sense (considering the price offered they may has well be), rare collectors contacted me to sell their miniatures etc just to see them become part of something truly unique.

I think lots of people just love the aesthetic of Elves rather than a sea of blue clunky marines as GW enjoys spitting out so often.

PS: Commission painting isn't as expensive as it sounds, I get very large bulk discounts due to the amount of minis there are and each tier has a budget attached.

Congratulations on the way they look, I'm sure it really is quite a spectacle in the flesh. Can I ask where you store all of these? And how often you actually play large size games with them? I have a pretty usual size collection, maybe 3-4k of eldar and similar IG, and that's bad enough in terms of foam/padding to transport them in. And the largest game I ever played was 10k with 2 players a side and even that was a real slog by the end!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
So I played 3 games this weekend, all using my Imperial Guard, all with the maelstrom of war missions. drat good fun. Lost to tyranids, won twice against chaos with loads of nurgle spawn. Some lessons learned:

- psykers and inquisitors using divination can add interesting possibilities if, and only if, the boob playing them remembers his psychic phase.

- Straken, whilst fun, is probably not worth his price.

- blobs of guard with priests (and maybe that inquisitor with rad grenades) are loving fun and loving good. What do people think of the following units?
30 Guardsmen, 3 melta guns, 3 power axes, priest - 250
30 guardsmen, 3 plasma guns, melta bombs, priest - 235
20 guardsmen, 2 lascannons, commissar - 165
30 guardsmen, 3 plasma guns, 3 autocannons, priest/commissar - 250

I am going to use some combination of those in future army lists, blobs are the big success in my army really.

- used an allied Militarum Tempestus det to gain obj secured on the troop squads and a 4xplasma comd squad with that sweet sweet Preferred Enemy order. They failed to give the order twice, on LD9, then killed 3 of their own outright with gets hot results. But in principle I think it might be a good use of points.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
By dedicate squads I gather you mean 'go big' for up to 50 men? It just seems so unwieldy on the table. 30 is already a serious slog for my opponent to hack through.

I am definitely going to try conscripts though. Victoria minis make some pretty terrific penal guard models . . .

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Carnifex is on 60mm round and the broodlord base looks a lot smaller (and weirdly oval, although I don't see why it would be) to me.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
That venomthrope looks good, something in me also really likes seeing people stretch kits to their full value.

I noticed Chapterhouse Studios are re-opened for business, how the gently caress are they profitable after fighting a court case? All their products (I looked at the eldar and IG options) look absolute shite, are people buying these over all the genuinely great 3rd party alternatives. Chapterhouse exists in the same world as Anvil Industry and Victoria Miniatures. Mind boggling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Cool, new BA. I am definitely going to stick with 25mm for my current armies - I am not rebasing 100+ guardsmen, and I know it's anal but it would really weird me out to have the same models parts- and gameplay-wise to be on different size bases. I hope (no way of knowing yet) that this will be a change for the more elite/bigger models only. It seems ridiculous to have guardsmen or god help us grots on 32mm bases. It is a relatively small change but adds up the difference for a squad of 31 models! WHFB already has a system where models are on 20mm and 25mm depending on the model's bulk, so I'll wait and see. Real sense of deja vu from Infinity's rebasing, where they increased a lot of models onto an (IMO) unnecessarily large and weird 55mm size.

EDITED for actual hobby stuff: I am building a scions command squad, and am really impressed by the models. When they came out and I bought the box mostly for parts, I thought they were over-ornate and silly looking. But the general silhouette and the quality/variety of bits is excellent. The only changes I am making is shaving off some of the armour trim, and slicing the cuisses (medieval style thigh guards) off the breastplates and gluing them separately to the legs, both changes to achieve a slightly less gothic look. Liking them more than my 3rd-party conversions really. I am also making plasma guns out of the hotshot lasguns and plasma pistols, but I think I am short one pistol :(

Genghis Cohen fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 29, 2014

• Locked thread