Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Yeah, that's also true. Herbert's empire is based heavily on the Golden Age of Islam, which is the source of a lot of his faux-Arabic terms.

Also, while we're talking sources, that men gold/iron/stone stuff references Hesiod's ages of men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Remember how we were just talking about 40K being one big Dune ripoff? :v:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

JerryLee posted:

Where do the 1 or 3 wound results come from, then?

Remember, mutation is very common in the 41st Millenium.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I say the more liberal interpretation is correct because dying in his name pleases Khorne in the fluff.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

MasterSlowPoke posted:

To keep SKUs down, the Autocannons use the same arms as bolter arms, so the guns have that awkward mount.

Which has the bonus effect of them working with plastic kits, so you can use them to gear up AC Havocs.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

krushgroove posted:

So glad Forge World announced HH5 is out tomorrow, that'll be the first thing I pick up. What is the role of a Princeps in a battle? Wondering if I should get one for 30K.

I'm happy to potentially pick up a model or two for folks, PM me!

A princeps is the leader of a titan's crew, so that model is really just a fluff piece or objective marker.

I do like how his entire right side seems to have been really hosed up by some explosion or something. It's the price you pay for driving around in a walking doomsday weapon.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

ghetto wormhole posted:

It's really good.

The MRA outrage is entirely because the director hired the woman who wrote the Vagina Monologues to advise him. If nobody knew that then none of the MRA dudes would have ever given a poo poo. It just doesn't make a big deal about gender and there's no gratuitous titties or rape or whatever but it by no means tries to shove a message down your throat.

It takes some time to get rolling, but the climactic chase/battle is everything you ever wanted from Mad Max distilled into 30 minutes of pure spectacle.

And gently caress any dude whose masculinity is threatened by Charlize Theron with a bad rear end robot arm.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Mange Mite posted:

Yeah the other one is good too but it looks too much like a Knight to me, I like the blockier look of the other design because it's pretty distinctive

I prefer the Mars version because I think the Lucius looks too much like something from Btech. Mars pattern has the distinct 40K titan aesthetic, and it's the original titan design.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

ineptmule posted:

This guy is so awesome.

Yeah, he is one of the downright coolest models they have made in years.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I think there's a very real risk of mass-burnout at the rate they're going. At least based on the people I know who have been into this stuff for decades.

Yeah, I think this is the real problem. It's not like they ruined the game's balance. That was always bad. Giving the D to non-superheavy or gargantuan units was a terrible move, but the end result is just yet another dominant Eldar codex. And that's basically a GW tradition at this point.

But when they're pumping out so much stuff that even die hards like me stop keeping track, they're probably overdoing it. The only reason to bring out a new Marine book right now is to have it match the new codex layout, and that's not a good enough reason.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Sulecrist posted:

I just plain cannot afford to update my Marines right now. If Space Marines were the only faction I played and 40k were the only game I played, I could swallow it, but it isn't, so I can't. Maybe in another six months I'll get the book on sale or something.

Yeah, man. I feel that. I still haven't bought the new Eldar codex. I'll get around to it, but gently caress, Harlies just came out a few months ago.

krushgroove posted:

Crossposting from the painting thread, Finally got around to editing these, so now I get to post all these pics

Man, I really dig the hell out of this color scheme. It's very alien world.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

That derail is the purview of the other thread.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

TheChirurgeon posted:

To be fair, GW deserves that attitude.

And I still don't like the 32mm bases because they gently caress with my terrain designs and storage solutions.

Yeah, while I think they are an aesthetic improvement, they cause a lot of modeling issues that I'm glad I have yet to have to deal with. It makes me wary about expanding my CSM more. Good thing GW has been pumping out all sorts of Eldar poo poo to keep me occupied. :v:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

drgnvale posted:

Tac squads are 5-10, you get one special weapon at 5 men, and a heavy at 10.

You can take a special or heavy with 5 marines in the newer books, so basically you can take a regular tac squad and field it as two troops.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Black_Nexus posted:

I am just getting back to 40k, do all models need to be on 32mm bases now?

I bought some chaos marines and they still come with 25mm

Nah, they're slowly moving bigger infantry models over to 32mm, but you can keep those CSM on 25s if you want. Weedier stuff like Eldar and IG will probably stay 25mm.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Ghost Hand posted:

For those running Chaos Demons - when you run a Herald of Tzeentch are you using the official (Finecast) model? Is he removable from the disc? (I assume so). Or did you kit bash something together? If so - what/how?

Can you show any example pictures of what you have done?

I figured now that the flamer chariot thing is decent, people are just using the herald that comes with that kit.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Sulecrist posted:

I really like the idea of tanks being able to smash through walls, and I have a Mortis dreadnought that likes to chill out with his sniper bros on the third or fourth story of a ruined building.

Basically, if my vehicles immobilize themselves in rough terrain, they're going to have a drat good reason.

The problem is that ruins are basically just more area terrain if their walls don't at least stop vehicle movement.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Hixson posted:

Sure, but they also block LoS a lot of the time

Yeah, but not as much as you might think. The GW ruins have a lot of windows and TLoS means you only need one.

Beyond that, though, letting vehicles drive all over difficult terrain further reduces the importance of tactical movement and positioning and makes skimmers less distinct. Who cares if skimmers can hop terrain when everything else can just drive through it with only a 1/36 chance of being immobilized (because everyone takes dozer blades and the like just because of that)?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Ignite Memories posted:

edit: is somebody seriously complaining that skimmers aren't awesome enough

Hah, no. I realize you can read it that way if you want, but I'm complaining that ruins aren't awesome enough. :colbert:

Hixson posted:

Yeah that's true, although it usually provides a pretty huge cover save (4+ for touching the terrain, up to 2+ for being 25% obscured)

Up until recently my group had been treating ruin walls as impassable. We didn't even check the rules, it just made sense v:shobon:v

How are you getting such good saves? Ruins give a 4+ if you're shooting through them. IIRC you count any base they are on as 5+ area terrain.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Hixson posted:

Shooting through ruins (4+) and being 25% obscured ( +2 to cover save) = a 2+ cover save no?

The point I was making is the walls on ruins aren't pointless, it's quite easy to get obscured and get a decent cover save

Nah, your vehicle needs to be at least 25% obscured to get the 4+ save. They don't stack.

And I don't disagree, but I think they should have more of a point by blocking vehicle movement, which is why my group (and yours too, I take) houserules them to do so.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Ignite Memories posted:

That really kicks mech armies in the dick, though. We have it hard enough already.

Good one.

Master Twig posted:

The opposite is actually true for Ruins in 7th edition. In 6th edition it was exactly as you stated, but if you read the entry in the rulebook under ruins (page 108 of the mini rulebook)
"Ruins are difficult terrain. Models in ruins receive a 4+ cover save, regardless of whether or not they are 25" obscured." Says nothing about getting a 4+ for being simply obscured by ruins, so you would take the 25% rule for other terrain and get a 5+.

So concerning ruins: In = 4+ Blocked by = 5+.

Meaning a vehicle can never get better than a 5+ from ruins (Page 77 mini rulebook "Vehicles are not obscured simply for being inside terrain such as woods or ruins. The 25% rule above takes precedence."

Oops. Thanks for the correction. I think terrain rules are one of the few places where 6E is better than 7E.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Ignite Memories posted:

You play eldar. I do not trust your opinion on what is strong and what isn't.

I have a big Eldar army, but I don't actually play with it that much. It was already overpowered with the 6E codex, and while I don't use any D spam wraith guard, I still think it's too much. I have a CSM army that I bring out every so often, but mainly these days I just play Dark Eldar and Harlies.

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 3, 2015

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Ignite Memories posted:

And yet, skimmers just aren't ~*special enough*~ so we have to nerf all other vehicles

edit: No, no, it's ok, I didn't need to use cover anyways, I'll just be sitting out here in the open with my av10 2hp vehicles. Have fun.

Oh dear. Relax. You can park your vehicles in terrain all you want. In my group, we house rule it so that you can't just drive through a wall. This is a house rule that my group uses because we think it makes sense and makes ruins more significant. It does not appear to adversely effect my CSM or my buddies' Orks, IG and Marines. Vehicles still cross all sorts of difficult terrain with no trouble because dozer blades and rams are cheap no-brainer upgrades.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Haha, right?!? I almost miss the lovely 4E codex. At least then when I won, I felt like it was the dice handing me victory and not my rulebook. :v:

Ignite Memories posted:

Driving through walls is my core strategy. This is the only fun orky thing I still get to do.

Right on. Sorry for being a dick there. If we were to play, I wouldn't stop you. I appreciate the image of Ork buggies smashing through a wall to skorch some cowering Eldar. I was just explaining our reasoning for our house rule.

I wish the ruins rules were more interactive, where you could smash holes in the walls and knock them down. GW really half asses their tools for forging narratives there. :v:

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Sulecrist posted:

Even with the ability to move through them, and even with lots of windows, ruin walls are still meaningful if you play that you need enough movement to get the whole way through (which you should). My group also generally doesn't take dozer blades (simply because we don't have them on our models) so terrain is still a big risk.

In my group, if it can take a dozer blade, it's gonna have a dozer blade. And after one weekend of just driving willy-nilly through walls and cutting corners, leaving vehicles perched at silly angles, we decided together that we were getting out of hand, and we needed to do something about it.

• Locked thread