Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Fix posted:

Hey, what was the chariot that had all the problems?

The Burning Chariot because the passenger fires the weapons (as opposed to the actual Chariot firing them) and they are both Heavy and one is a Template so if the Chariot moves at all the passenger is unable to shoot one and has to snap fire the other. The only way to fix this is to make the passenger Relentless or move the weapons to part of the Chariot's weaponry.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Fix posted:

*Chariot poo poo*

That's pretty cool although still incredibly embarrassing it took them this long to fix that. I wonder if shooty chariots will be something that pops up in the DE and Necron codexes.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Walkers also get Hammer of Wrath now, they did lose the free pivot and have to pay attention to fire arcs.

Is HoW still just unmodified S: User AP-?

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Crazy Ferret posted:

Thanks for this! Shame about the hellhound but its manageable.

Question about the random allocation with vehicle explosions though just to make sure I'm following this right as I cannot pick up the rulebook till I get paid again. I have a squad of veterans inside a chimera. My usual setup is a Heavy Flamer, 2 Plasmaguns, and since it will matter, the Sergeant and 6 Lasguns. If the transport explodes, how should I do the random allocation of hits? In the past, I usually hand those wounds off onto the lasguns for obvious reasons.

I'm wondering if there is any examples or methods to follow in the book. The only thing I can think of doing thus far is say I take 4 wounds from the explosion, should I make my opponent roll 2D6 4 times, ignoring 11 and 12, to see which trooper takes the wounds?

Does anyone have a better idea or am I doing/thinking about this wrong?

Assign each member a number and roll a D10.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Hollismason posted:

The juries still out on this one , but I think if you sumon a Daemon Squad with a instrument you automatically also get to bring in any unit that has the Daemon tie in from reserve automatically. This can be done on the first turn... like I said it's funky.

Demonic Instruments only activate if the unit carrying it passes it's reserve roll (the Daemon codex specifically says "...successfully passes it's reserve roll") and the unit you want to come in automatically hasn't rolled for reserves yet. This particular instrument effect isn't usable on summoned Daemon units afaik. Also, as far as I can tell, nowhere does it say a summoned Daemon unit gets any sort of upgrades.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 26, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Like I said it's funky the actual Conjure Daemons spell actually says :

When the power is resolved, the new unit then arrives via Deep Strike, within the power’s maximum range; the new unit is under your control and is treated as having arrived from Reserves for all rules purposes.

It may have arrived from Reserves for all rule purposes but you never rolled a dice for it to arrive so, strict RAW, instruments don't work in this instance. Personally I'm strongly leaning towards the clarification that "is treated as having arrived from Reserves for all rules purposes" is stated in order to stop summoned Daemons from assaulting the same turn they arrive because, according to GW, that is literally the worst possible thing that could ever happen in the game.

"When a unit with an Instrument of Chaos in Deep Strike reserve successfully passes its Reserve Role, you can also choose another unit. This must be a unit that: is entirely composed of models with the Daemon special rule, is still in Deep Strike reserve, has yet to make a reserve roll this turn" (p.64 Daemon Codex).

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 26, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Post 9-11 User posted:

So, the moral of the story is that Moola must set aside the emotions of regret and empathy and be like a true predator in the swamp?

THIS MCDONALD'S
IS TAINTED,
SQUAD BROKEN!

Content: my brother trolls eBay for deals on warhams all the time, I want to ask him a question but he has really poor impulse control so don't want to risk inspiring him to get more "gifts." Have the current line of Plaguebearers been showing up for good prices online? I really don't need more right now, but eventually I shall add one more group to complete the set (I have the stupid metal monkeybearers, converted WHFB Skeletons, and Dryads).

I haven't checked Ebay for Daemons in a while but last time I checked (which was long before 7e rumors) 2nd hand Plaguebearers were REALLY uncommon and pretty close to normal retail price mainly because they're a very strong unit in-game and I expect they will be even less common now even if their "Stealth Grenades" turned into Blind Grenades.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 09:08 on May 26, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Please help, I have no idea what I'm doing. Trying to put together a 1000 point list of Blood Angels, here is what I have so far:

Troops
10 Death Company w/Rhino (250 pts)
2 Death Company Dreadnoughts (250 pts)

Heavy Support
5 Devastators w/4 Missile Launchers in Razorback w/Twin-Linked Lascannon (220 pts)

I almost threw Mephiston in there, but then I realized I'd be spending nearly 1000 points for 20 models. My buddy and I have been playing Purge the Alien, so I'm not too concerned about Death Company not scoring right now.

I mean, this is for a casual game, so maybe I should JUST PLAY?

Just start playing, you'll learn what's good and what isn't. BA is firmly planted in the "fine for casual games" tier but they are pretty low overall. Don't actually put your Dev Squad in the Razorback though. Just park the Devs in some ruins and leave them there for the game, there's nothing worse than having to spend a turn snap firing your heavy weapons and 48" weapon range means they should be able to hit just about anything on the table without moving. DC Dreads without Drop Pods are almost useless; you're going to want to bring some Drop Pods. Melee Dreads are just awful if you have to walk across the table. The Death Company unit really needs at least 2 power weapons, even if that means cutting the unit down a bit, DC without power weapons are just a lot of attacks, DC with power weapons are pure death. You might also want to consider splitting into 2 units of 5 DC in Rhinos if you decide to drop a DC Dread that way you can engage multiple units, even a few power weapon DC can absolutely wreck most units if they can get the charge off and 10 DC is a lot of overkill in most situations. Meph is way too expensive for 1000 points; take a Librarian or a Chaplain and group up with a DC unit.

LingcodKilla posted:

Well one more marine to absorb a wound in the devastor group would be the first thing I'd do.

That already exists, it's the Sargent.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 26, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

HiveCommander posted:

Better still; Bloodcrushers :getin:

Only "Infantry" (not including Jump/Jetpack) can get in transports unfortunately, I assume this still applies in 7e. Nothing would please me more than 5 Bikes flying out of a Land Raider Crusader but it's not allowed.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Hollismason posted:

I think Flying Monstrous Creatures count as very bulky. I'm not sure but there is some other weird rule that makes it so that they can't do that.You can't start in Dedicated Transports but you can start a Space Marine squad in reserve in a Valkryie I think. Dark Eldar have to loan out their transports to Banshees , so they can charge people.

Oh I was super happy about this

So with Assault being reduced -2 for difficult terrain, my Necrons got a inadvertent super boost to being in terrain and a weapon they have. Tremor Stave and Seismic Crucible.

If you are in difficult terrain the assaulting unit is going to get -2 + - D3 taken off their charge range. Plus can shoot a unit with a Tremorstave and they count as moving in difficult terrain so good luck with charging a dug in necron force. You have to really get in their face to charge them now.

CCBs, Finally my Necron Overlord can issue challenges from his chariot and be locked in combat so he doesn't get the crap blasted out of him.

Scarabs are Scoring. HA!

The Walker is actually good now, it gets Hammer of wrath which is cool.

Disco Inferno Royale court got a boost by becoming scoring.

Overall Necrons got alot of really cool new rules that make them better now so I'm happy.

Why would Scarabs be scoring? Does Swarms not exist anymore? The stupid local GW store didn't receive my rulebook shipment when I went there on Saturday so I'm stuck here like a non-7e having peasant until like Wednesday.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Eldar have to be really happy now that they have a vehicle that can turn into a Greater Daemon of Slaanesh.

Edit:

Looking at the Blood Angels list it looks like they may have finally fixed Commander Dante or whoever it was that was technically not a independent character and could not join squads.

Jets turning into Daemons sounds cool as gently caress.

Where and what are you reading regarding BA? The only non-IC HQs in BA are Mephiston, DC Tycho and The Sanguinor. Are all "Characters" just "Independent Characters" now? Because just based on the FAQ it seems like it turned every IC into a Character and now none of them can join units.

Hollismason posted:

That Nightbringerofdoom or something like that the one flyer they have I think.

Blood Angel's Furioso Dreadnoughts became pretty bad rear end. Yes, I will pick Telepathy. You need 6s to hit me I am invisible.

Weirdly they have access to Biomancy :stare:

BA has always had access to those BRB powers. Whether or not you counted Furioso Librarians as being "Librarians" in terms of the game rules has always been a bit of a debate: they are Librarians in the fluff and have Librarian in their name but some people think they didn't get access to the BRB powers but the BRB powers sucked on Furioso Librarians anyways. Having a 5+ cover save in your opponent's shooting phase and being able to move 12" in your movement phase has always been the best option for them. Now that might change but being able to move 12" at a time is still really powerful.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 27, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Hollismason posted:

I think that's what that means now. Although gonan laugh sohard if it's the opposite. It just says (Character). So I think that's it's type or something let me look.

I wish I had the new rulebook to check these things but apparently, according to GW, "pre-order and pick it up in-store on release day" actually means "get it sometime next week maybe, I don't know; thanks for the money".

VVVVVVVVVVV That makes sense although I really hope they make The Sanguinor an IC or at least able to join Sanguinary Guard in their new codex.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 27, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Direwolf posted:

How were wave serpents nerfed?

No more free 5+ cover save just for moving a Skimmer. Jink is now a thing you have to elect before your opponent starts rolling to-hit, in the same vein as FMCs "diving" or whatever it's called. Also I think after you Jink you have to snap fire everything for the next turn? Wave Serpents are still really good though, they got knocked back because of the change to Jink but they got bumped up because of the change to the vehicle pen chart.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 29, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Just "finished" my friend's 2nd Monolith he gave me free rein to paint. Pretty easy and enjoyable to paint overall; painted with sponges for the first time and pretty much just jumped in by doing a test paint on one of the gun arrays. Made the gold paint from scratch from VMA Aluminum and Daler Rowney FW Burnt Umber Ink. I know it really needs some wash on the gold in the recesses and then a dry brush of a lighter gold on the edges but I'm kinda burned out doing any more painting on it right now; I've been powering through it for the past 3 days that way it would be done by Saturday when my group will be playing. I also got to test the light box I built.

I might adapt the sponge painting for my Blood Angels because I can't stand painting solid red and every time I try to get back to them I end up disappointed.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Post 9-11 User posted:

That's one of the most unique Monolith paint jobs I have ever seen. The gold is flawless, I wondered for a moment if you used craft foil instead of paint. My first impression is, "Las Vegas retirement condo decor," though.

Thanks! The gold is quite garish right now but I think it's because it lacks depth, it does just look like cheap gold paint without any shading. I'll probably end up giving it a wash later today. The entire model was just a test of skills to see if I could actually do sponge painting; the gold was just a happy accident, more or less.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004
So it's a bit unclear from my first read-through but I think my suspicions are right: did the new FAQs just change Grey Knights and Blood Angels so they lose all their 5e Codex powers and can only roll (or are automatically given) powers from the 7e Rule Book?

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 31, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

PantsOptional posted:

Dumb question time, this time about Transports and the effects of damage on passengers:

If a Transport is hit multiple times in a phase and receives multiple results on the damage chart (for example, Crew Shaken and Crew Stunned) do the passengers have to make multiple Ld tests, or just one? Likewise, if a Transport is Wrecked or Explodes and also receives one of the lesser results, is the unit also affected by the lesser results or does the higher result trump the lesser ones?

According to P.82, as far as I can tell, the passengers only take one LD test even if you roll multiple Shaken/Stunned/Weapon Destroyed/Immobilized.

"At the end of a phase in which a vehicle sustains one or more of these damage results, the passengers must take a Leadership test. If the test is passed, the unit is unaffected".

Also if the Transport gets say, a Shaken and an Explodes!, as far as I can see you would do the LD test for the Shaken and the LD test for Pinning as they have somewhat differing effects. It doesn't say anywhere that you just resolve the highest "damaging" effect on the Pen Chart, you have to resolve all of them at the same time because the effect from Wrecked/Explodes! is different from Shaken/Stunned/Weapon Destroyed/Immobilized.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 2, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

S.J. posted:

Holy poo poo you guys. Games Workshop sent us a preview Gorka/Morkanaut box to open and show to people.

They haven't done anything like this in years. I'm a little shocked.

My friends and I have been casually arguing about this: What size is the base? Is it a Flyer Oval or an Imperial Knight Superheavy Oval? Also (whenever it actually gets built) how tall does it stand compared to other large models like Dreadknights/Riptides/FHTs/Etc?

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 4, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Sephyr posted:

Ok, am I missing something or did they remove the Rending effect from Sniper weapons in the new book? I can't find mention of it.

Were snipers so overpowered that they needed this nerf, or did GW discover that I finished painting my Rangers and decided to have a laugh?

Sniper weapons don't have Rending (or Pinning) anymore. They have a special effect very similar to, but not quite, Rending. Go read the rule entry for Sniper and then read the rule entry for Rending.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 5, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

krushgroove posted:

Than for the tips guys, great info! I'm definitely getting a couple of Exocrines at some point, for now proxying them with Chaos Forgefiends :)

Juggernauts?

Don't forget about Carnifexes. My best A-T comes from a full unit of 2x TL-BL Dev Carnifexes. 36 TL BS3 S6 shots will just shred anything AV12 or under with ease. Then, off the charge, you have 3D3 S9 AP- auto-hits from HoW hitting the front armor and 12 S9 AP2 hits on the back armor which will do some serious damage against most "normal" AV13/AV14 vehicles. Land Raiders and Monoliths will be toughest to crack seeing as you're relying purely on 5s/6s but against Leman Russes/Battlewagons/Predators/etc you can get a few glances or maybe even a Pen or two off the HoW and then finish the vehicle off with their regular attacks. I think I might try switching one pair of TL-BL Devs for Crushing Claws next time I play Tyranids. Smash isn't necessary at all if you're S10 AP2 Armorbane. The biggest issue is they are incredibly slow so you might have to spend a turn or two moving and running before you start doing damage.

It's not optimal but there's not that many choices for Tyranid A-T. Carnifexes are officially :sicknasty: though so they are pretty much auto-include in all my lists.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 5, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Thundercracker posted:

Can Chaos Marine ICs attach to Daemons now in 7th?

No, Daemonic Instability completely blocks CSM and Daemon ICs from joining each other's units. Daemons can get in CSM Rhinos and Landraiders now though which is kinda cool but not really game breaking.

xtothez posted:

Normally yes, thanks to Battle Brothers. However the Daemonic Instability rule doesn't allow IC's to join a daemon unit unless they also have that rule. I guess you could argue that Daemon ICs can join CSM units, but not the other way around.

It's not even arguable. You can't.

Daemonic Instability: Cannot join (or be joined by) models without this special rule; automatically pass Fear, Pinning and Morale tests. (p.104 CD codex)

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 7, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Get wrecked Daemon summoning.

I played my first gave of 7e, 1500 points, Big Guns Never Tire, using Psyker Heavy Daemons with 12 MLs worth of dice (Kairos, ML2 HoS, ML3 HoT, 16 Pink Horrors) vs. Necrons and I'm kind of on the fence about it, specifically the Psychic Phase. It was difficult enough remembering to do everything with Daemons before and now I have to stop and weigh the pros/cons of of how many dice to use and trying to remember to look for the new Perils. It just felt like the game ran super long for 1500 points. Highlight of the game, throwing 7 dice at a 3WC Flickering Fire at a game deciding clutch moment and only one die coming out 4+.

I'll reserve judgement after I get some more games in (both with Daemons and Tyranids) because I went all in with Psykers and kinda got wrecked because I didn't have any assault worthy FMCs and playing Dawn of War doesn't benefit Daemons when your opponent brings tons of Wraiths and Scarabs and my Pink Horrors got caught in assault on turn 3 and then I rolled double 6's for DI which made the unit implode. I know everybody loves Kairos (and for good reason) but every time I field him he never does as much work as an S8 LoC. I think the biggest revelation I got out of the game was that while I had fun, it wasn't relaxing at all trying to remember everything so I think my next project needs to be a boring move and shoot army, no crazy special rules or tons of Psyker stuff to deal with. Probably a pure shooting focused Eldar army with some rad as hell Jetbikes and Vypers and poo poo.

Also I just realized my friend had 3 units of Scarabs and 1 unit of Wraiths. More than likely just an accident but still, that would have completely changed the game as he assault intercepted my Outflanking Seekers (which was going to wipe out a 10 man Warrior unit on an Objective) with a unit of Scarabs that wouldn't have been there if the list was legal. Oh well.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 9, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

DJ Dizzy posted:

What is the worst unit in the IG codex? I am going to be participating in an extremely low power campaign, and my current model selection doesn't really allow that.

Hydras in the absence of Flyers/Skimmers, Rough Riders, or Wyrdvane Psykers that aren't being used to summon Daemons. Rough Riders might be the worst.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Drake_263 posted:

Made up a new version of the list I played with last night:

Salamanders 1850 Drop The Dread (Battle-Forged)
Codex: Space Marines (Salamanders Chapter Tactics - * signifies a master-crafted weapon)
1848 points

HQ (530 points):
Vulkan He'Stan (190)
Master of the Forge with combi-melta* (100)
Command Squad with 2 power fists and storm shields, apothecary upgrade, and two meltaguns in a Drop Pod (240)

Troops (183 points):
Tactical Squad with 6 models, sergeant combi-melta*, meltagun, melta bombs in a Drop Pod (144)
Tactical Squad with 6 models, sergeant combi-flamer*, flamer, melta bombs in a Drop Pod (139)

Elites (410 points):
Dreadnought with multi-melta and heavy flamer in a Drop Pod (145)
Dreadnought with multi-melta and heavy flamer in a Drop Pod (145)
Dreadnought with two pairs of twin-linked autocannons (120)

Fast Attack (125 points):
Storm Talon Gunship with skyhammer missiles (125)

Heavy Support (500 points):
Dreadnought with two pairs of twin-linked autocannons (120)
Ironclad Dreadnought with seismic hammer, meltagun, power fist, heavy flamer, ironclad assault launchers in a Drop Pod (190)
Ironclad Dreadnought with seismic hammer, meltagun, power fist, heavy flamer, ironclad assault launchers in a Drop Pod (190)

The good thing is that I actually have all of that save for three drop pods (and everything except the Command Squad is painted). The bad thing is that I worry a little about the relatively low number of actual Troop models - twelve Marines and two drop pods aren't exactly difficult to neutralize most of the time. That said, everything else DOES score thanks to 7th edition - this is more than likely a list that focuses on smashing the hell out of the other army at relatively short distances rather than, you know, sitting on objectives. The idea is, afterall, that the 1st turn drop pod rain releases four angry fighty dreadnoughts to smash something important. Vulkan's squad and the two Tactical squads should follow in the next few turns to hold objectives and do other Marine-y poo poo while the dreads do what they do best.

The other thing I worry about is that the only things that I'll actually deploy are my rifleman dreadnoughts. That of course means that if I end up going second, the other player gets to focus all of his fire on just two models. Is it legal for me to leave them in reserve, basically leave the board empty and just walk them in when my turn begins, along with the rain'o'pods? If I go first it's not an issue, of course, but you know..

It used to be in 6e that you had to have 50% of your units on the table at the start of the game, save for units that must always start in Reserve like flyers, drop pods, etc; those units aren't included as part of the 50%. I can't find anywhere in the 7e rulebook though that states an exact number/percentage or that this limitation even exists anymore. The only thing it says is "When deploying their armies, players can choose not to deploy some of their units, keeping them as Reserves to arrive later" (p.135). So I guess some implies you can't reserve your entire army but it's also not defined as a specific number or percentage? There's no separation between "models that must start in reserve" and "models that can start in reserve" for purposes of deployment anymore.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jun 12, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Direwolf posted:

Move through cover now works during the movement and the assault phases, as opposed to just the movement. During normal you roll an extra d6 to see how far you go, and you ignore penalties during the assault phase, and you ignore dangerous terrain tests.

I think the problem is that Super Heavy Walkers move like Walkers, so they take difficult/dangerous terrain tests when a normal Walker would because normal Walkers move like basic Infantry. However SHWs move 12". Move Through Cover just gives you 1 extra dice when determining how far you can move through difficult terrain and removes the -2" modifier when you assault through difficult/dangerous terrain. So for SHWs do you still do 3D6 take highest meaning they can only move 6" through terrain? Do you do 3D6 take two highest? Do you base it off inches moved so if 6" is 3D6 take 1 highest does 12" become 6D6 take 2 highest? Beasts, Cavalry and Jump units just plain ignore the effects of Difficult Terrain so the "3D6 take one highest" for movement doesn't effect their 12" move.

Do Super Heavy Walkers still get dropped to I1 for having to charge through difficult terrain? Imperial Knights don't have assault grenades and MTC doesn't change the Initiative drop.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 12, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

TheChirurgeon posted:

I agree--those look great, and you should make your own chapter. On that note, I finished my second tactical squad!

Heavy bolters are loving rad

I had originally hosed this dude up by positioning his chest too far to one side, then I found out that there's a grenade-lobbing arm on the new marine sprue. Problem solved!

The half-terminator face on the assault squad sergeant owns. I've decided that I'm going to paint most of the helmetless dudes black.

Heavy Bolters are the coolest of the heavy weapons.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Ratflinger posted:

I am on the fence regarding a new necron codex. The current one is so full of cheesy crap that makes the people you play furious. Crap like almost free mindshackle scarabs, annihilation barges, wraiths and night scythes will most likely have to go. On the other hand if you make the cheap/unfair stuff really expensive or make it go away you are left with a pretty lovely codex. There is a reason the almost never used units are almost never used. A lot of it is bad, it is just not that the really good stuff is a little better.

Cheesy crap will most lilekely get axed, I am just a bit worried that I will be left with nothing but turds when the good stuff gets removed.

All of those models have recent, great looking, plastic kits. They aren't going to just vanish. They all need a points increase though. Shackles can only get a points increase, if they made them worse like going to a normal LD test, they wouldn't be worth taking. They were clearly written with challenges in mind but they are too good for 15 points. They probably also need to be restricted to Overlords and D. Lords as well.

Business Gorillas posted:

Is a CSM Tzeentch/Tzeentch Daemons army gonna be any good if I actually do this terrible hobby?

edit: How about a Grey Knights (Thousand Sons counts-as) and Daemons? Is that even possible?

I play a balanced all gods Daemons army and I would really suggest not jumping in all the way with them right away. If you really wanted to, I would suggest CSM main with a Tzeentch ally or do a 50/50 split. Daemons can be really drat good depending on if you want to push Daemon Summoning to the point of game breaking. They are also a serious nightmare to play sometimes, trying to remember everything you have to do, everything you have to roll, depending on entirely random rolls for psyker powers and rewards, balancing your warp charges (which will disappear faster than people think) and also trying to remember and learn the main rules of the game can get a bit overwhelming and frustrating sometimes.

Also even though they can be a really powerful army supported by psyker powers, they are still an assault based army with very little non-psyker shooting and shooting is still king of the hill. 7e didn't really change anything to make assault any better than it was in 6e.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 15, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Daedleh posted:

"Unit Composition: 1 Gorkanaught"

37 points seems so specific that it has to be a typo.

Loving the reference to the Orks Vehicle Equipment list though. Indicates there's probably an infantry list allowing us to kit nobs out like the 3rd ed codex.

It's probably 37 to accommodate some gear options that are 1/2/3 points that way you come out with a nice even number in the end. Also every "new" codex has had equipment lists both for vehicles and infantry. That's how they handle army wide equipment instead of listing every gear option on every unit entry over and over again.

Is there any sensible way to have a free-for-all with three players? It seems like we would be better off having 2-on-1 games with each side having the same total points to work with. My brother and his friend want to play some 40k, but I'm the one who knows the rules and has all the actual 40k stuff, so my options are awkward 3 player games or they play while I act as ref.

The best way to do it is 2v1, 2k pts vs. 1k/1k or whatever points variation you like. You also have to split the 2 player teams FOC though, or double up the 2k player's (if you have enough models to double FOC). Otherwise the single man will end up at a pretty big disadvantage when the other side rolls out like 12 Troops or 6 Heavy options.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 17, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Played 1,000 points of Necrons vs Tau. Tau won, but man I had a good time.
Highlights Include:
-Annihilation Barge being blown up from the first shot against it
-C'Tan Shard on his last wound surviving 3 consecutive turns of missiles from 2 Broadsides and 4 Missile Drones
-Scarabs vs. Pathfinders/Fire Warriors: Or how I learned not to underestimate those things I got with a box of Warriors
-The game reaching a climatic showdown, only to be stopped by a d6 rolling 2 at the end of turn 5 (Does anyone just ignore variable game length?)

Just before the game, my opponent/friend gave me some terrain he didn't want, including a Mordheim Starter box containing only the plastic/card terrain pieces. I told him that it was good terrain and fairly popular/sought after online, but he insisted. I'm off to check online to see if it's the complete set from the starter, and if there are specific instructions on assembly.

Scarabs are already mega assholes and they get even worse with Spyders around. I always try and pack some kind of S6 AP 4 template weapon just to wipe them out because they can tarpit units for a very long time if you can't ID them and they have enough attacks even at S3 to be a serious threat to most units.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 19, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

CyberLord XP posted:

Apparently nothing can make anything else troops now. No dreads/MANz/Nobz/bikes as troops.

Slimnoid posted:

"Just play Unbound" *wet fart*

This is when I'm glad I have a good group of friends to play with. Marbo gone? Not anymore! Want your Bike Warboss to make Ork Bikes troops? Sure, no problem! Some of the changes the newer codexes received are just dumb and I don't really like anything that restricts the game solely because "We don't want to make that model anymore".

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 22, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Swagger Dagger posted:

Literally all of these things will come out as dataslates

I absolutely believe it.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Von Humboldt posted:

Wonky rules situation -

Flyers explicitly state that they cannot be hit by Blasts and Templates while jetting around. FMCs do not have that rule - their rules simply state that shots fired at a Swooping FMC are Snap Shots unless the unit or weapon is packing Skyfire. Skyfire lets you fire at FMCs at full BS. As a result, FMCs can be hit by Blasts and Templates if they have Skyfire.

Is this correct? Me and my play group have been through the book front and back, and can't find anything disallowing it, and have been playing it as such. We're sure we're overlooking something simple, but we can't spot it. It doesn't affect much, since Skyfire is very hard to get (though the day a Vindicator hops on a Skyfire Nexus will be grim indeed) but Crones breathing fire on Daemon Princes as the Daemon Prince flings back blasts of Warp energy is just rad as gently caress.

I think you're correct? If you compare the paragraphs for "Hard to Hit" between Swooping FMCs and Zooming Flyers it specifically states anything that doesn't roll to hit can't hit Zooming Flyers; that distinction isn't made for Swooping FMCs. The reason is probably exactly for that; so FMCs can fight each other with their Templates and Blasts. The chances of something with a Template/Blast/L.Blast also getting Skyfire (if it couldn't already get it like the Riptide) is pretty slim as far as I can tell.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

I'm putting together a Blood Angels list right now and I was wondering: Is a Power Fist worth it on an Assault Sergeant? Hell, for 5 points more I could give him 2 Infernus pistols. I was considering just giving my Sergeants Melta Bombs.

For reference, I'm playing against Tau and I have 2 Assault Squads with Meltas and 1 Assault Squad with Flamers (Maybe those should be Meltas too).

No. Go with a Powersword; Powermaul isn't a bad choice as you'll be S6 (or S7 on the charge) AP4 which will just ruin most Xenos' days. A basic ASM squad is going to fold against 2+ armor most of the time so having a lone Power Fist (or Axe) isn't really worth it. Double Infernus/Plasma Pistol is kinda cool both because you get to make a rad as hell model and that model can fire both pistols in a single turn which means 4 Melta shots (although the 2D6 pen range gets kinda wonky) or up to 6 Plasma shots if you're in Rapid Fire range.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Ignite Memories posted:

It seems like i'm not in horrendous shape, because I had already taken a lot of the terrible units from the last codex that I liked converting. So I've already got tankbustas and stormboyz and flash gitz... But if I had a deff rolla-based army or a bunch of converted cyborks I would be pretty pissed right now.

P.s, I've got 2 squads of boyz - 20 hard boy sluggas and 20 softboy shootas. I bought nobz box to give them squadnobs with kombi weapons, but I'm not sure if I want to go with skorchas for both or kombi rokkit for one of them. [i am aware there is only one kombi skorcha in the box, and I am prepared to convert another if need be.]

Any thoughts on that? Skorchas have always bean super reliable for me, and I have a reasonable amount of anti-tank even with my deff rolla out of commission. But i kind of like the option of having K-rokkits too.

I have another question, because I haven't played 7th edition yet. Do you roll once for your psychic power at the beginning of the game, or do you roll every time you want to cast spells?

You generate your powers before you start playing Turn 1 or in the case of summoned Daemons, right after they have been summoned (if I remember correctly). Once you generate powers that's what you have for the rest of the game unless you have some special rules or gear that allow you to pick and choose or randomly generate powers each turn.

Unless you're specifically talking about the Ork Codex in which case I don't know I haven't been following those rumors.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

ANAmal.net posted:

*pictures*

Man, I need more terrain. This poo poo looks great even unpainted; the designs on those modular City kits are awesome. Also Landspeeders are 100% supercool and now I'm probably going to end up getting 3 for my BA army.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 30, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Safety Factor posted:

Land speeders are great. Typhoons are probably my favorite though. They've got good firepower and long range and can engage just about any target. They can just sit outside of small arms range and can be surprisingly survivable with jink. I've thought about running some assault cannon tornadoes, but I'm not sure if they're worth it in comparison. They'd have to get within bolter range. :ohdear:

I'm a huge fan of a full unit of 2x Heavy Bolter Speeders. They are pure anti-infantry but 18 S5 AP4 36" shots, 48" really because they are Fast vehicles, just obliterates infantry units while staying pretty much out of harms way. Plus they are absolutely dirt cheap. I like filling out my Fast Attack with 2 Shooty Baal Predators and a full 2xHB Landspeeder unit and just creating a huge infantry denial area. Now that vehicles score all the time that combo just became that much better. The only problem is I don't have any space for my Multi-Melta Attack Bike unit.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 30, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Monoliths posted:

Counterpoint: chaos daemons.

That army does pretty well I feel, and is fun to play and model. I was pretty worried when the rumors starting hitting but really the only thing I still don't like is the stupid warpstorm table.

Just be like me and always forget about it (along with Soulfire, Warpflame, Fear and HoW) and then write it down on a white board in huge capital letters and still forget to roll it.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 3, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Monoliths posted:

Hah, already there with you! Last game was shameful, I was like 1 turn for 6.

I really need to try and remember Fear. It will barely every come into play as most of the time I'm going against army wide Necron LD10/Fearless or ATSKNF but WS1 against Daemons means hitting on 5+ pretty much all the time against the units that actually matter in Assault.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 3, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Actually, I lied! I just read this week's White Dwarf and there's the formation that's perfect for you!

The Steel Host

How does this work exactly with Blast/L. Blast weapons? Do you just count those guns as completely Twin-Linked? P.158 states how you resolve the ability to re-roll To Hit with "blast" weapons but PE is a re-roll with stipulations. I'm not complaining either way but I feel like they should have taken 20 seconds to specify how PE and Blast weapons interact in the Rulebook. Even without a re-roll To-Hit, being able to re-roll To-Wounds of 1 is pretty strong for LRs considering their weapon strength.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

PE re-rolls TH/TWs of 1 and Blast weapons don't roll To Hit.

I cited the page that states how re-roll To-Hit and Blast weapons interact.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Blasts only need the possibility of a reroll to be rerolled, so it's not quite as cut and dry. It's a big dumb question that I really hoped 7th would solve. There's no good answer and it's best to leave it at that. There's ten page threads on Dakka if you want to read more.

Yeah it's not a super huge issue to me although the lack of clarification is annoying and also par for the course; I think my group just plays it as a complete re-roll. It's just one of those issues that can change a cool effect to something incredibly powerful based on how you play it.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 6, 2014

• Locked thread