Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

AbusePuppy posted:

Since this appears to be a thing folks are struggling with:
(How to fight necrons)

That's some great advice for dealing with necrons, but I thought he was asking about how to get good ebay deals. Someone post that instead.

Throb Robinson posted:

I totally stopped updating while I was in the middle of my move. But here is a bunch of stuff I did between here and then.

I think I'm going to redo the Tyrannic war vets sometime soon. They were second hand and a bit beat up. But I could say no to free models.

Your guys are always fighting in a world that consists solely of blocked sewer pipes, right? Or on a daemon world where poo poo literally rains from the sky?

drgnvale fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
9 hours is an absurdly long time, but none of my games of 40k have ever been quick. Playing at 1500 points usually runs 4-5 hours including setup. Lots of chatting and looking up rules, mostly.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Preview of my monthly oath:

My new inquisitor charging out of my stormraven, shooting Lord of Texas' beautiful Farseer. I'm really happy with how the base came out, especially since I didn't plan for it to be snow (it was going to be grass when I started).

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Ignite Memories posted:

This seems really good for the game, if bad for the actual narrative of each mission.

If you take the time to have really good objectives that both sides would be fighting over, then the cards seem very good for the narrative of the mission. Even more-so if you're a guard player because you'll be getting nonsense orders all the time.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Speckled Jim posted:

Yeah the canopys are just sitting there at the moment. Anyone had any experience masking and airbrushing something like that? Aso how does it handle being varnished? Ive been leaving the clear parts off my models until absolutely last moment incase the varnish turns them cloudy or something undesireable.

I'd recommend not varnishing the canopy glass. I used normal masking tape and brushes for the stormtalon canopy, but it was a huge pain in the rear end and I'm probably going to just wing it for the next one and clean up any mistakes with an exacto knife.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Hra Mormo posted:

I heard bikes are good now, I always wanted some bikes. Tell me about bikes. Don't tell me about airplanes or centurions because gently caress that poo poo and everything about it.

Bikes are awesome fun; very mobile, good weapon options and they aren't absurdly expensive for how useful they are (like Terminators tend to be). I've been using that rear end in a top hat chapter master on a bike for the last couple of months, and he's like the force commander from the dawn of war games. I'm in the process of converting up a librarian and command squad on bikes to run around with him. I'm told other chapters make better use of bikes, but even with the ultramarines chapter tactics not being that useful, I've still found bike troops to be a good way to spend points. The models are very expensive for what you get in the box, so ebay is probably a good choice here.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

AbusePuppy posted:

Ultramarine tactics are also a valid option, however, even if they might not be as objectively good for a bike-heavy list; the Drop Pods are the prime choice in that variation of things.

AbusePuppy, can you explain why you would prefer the drop pods to rhinos? I have three drop pod kits and I was planning on using one or more of them for my new space wolves dudes, but I'd love to be better informed on why drop pods are good for my normal marines before painting them.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

AbusePuppy posted:

Hmmm. Now to dig out my old Epic stuff and see what I actually have...

Rhinos and Drop Pods end up serving two very different purposes, even though they are very similar on the surface. A Drop Pod is essentially a pure delivery mechanism for aggressive armies- it puts you right on top of the enemy right away and ready to dump firepower onto them. You cannot, realistically speaking, hide from a Drop Pod (not on the table, anyways) and they are guaranteed to work in the sense that your key units will always arrive when you want and at least approximately where you want. However, once that is over and done, a Drop Pod provides you with essentially nothing- it pips out a few Storm Bolter shots and might get lucky and score an objective or Linebreaker, but the squad it carried is now stuck basically where they showed up at and the Pod itself can't really act independently in any way. Drop Pods are generally for alpha strike armies that want to hit the enemy early and hard and then just kinda keep riding that early success.

In contrast, a Rhino exists to make the squad inside faster and to protect them from harm; it can move them up to 18" per turn if they don't need to shoot and makes them immune to all firepower so long as it stays alive. Even once dead, it will generally turn into a piece of blocking terrain to make shooting at them inconvenient. A squad inside can't make use of their full firepower, but being able to fire two guns out generally gives you the most important weapons from the unit. Rhinos provide actual mobility- that is, the ability to respond to an opponent's movements turn-by-turn and counter their strategy- to a squad, something that Drop Pods do not. Unsurprisingly, Rhinos are almost always part of mechanized forces, whereas a Drop Pod it expendable and thus can potentially fit into any army. Rhino armies also tend to lean more towards mid-range shooting armies that rely more on survivability than firepower to win the day.

For Space Wolves, Drop Pods are generally a much better fit because SW are an aggressive army (hence Blood Claws, Thunderwolves, Lone Wolves, etc) that benefits extensively from close-range brawling matches where their (comparatively) cheap troops and excellent flexibility can be used to their fullest. SW also have the ability to bring empty Drop Pods in their FA slots, meaning they can stick in allied units that otherwise wouldn't have access to such a transport (Centurions, Inquisitorial units, Guardsmen, etc) to pull off some shenanigans.

Thanks, that's about how I saw it, and why my drop pods were going to go to my small space wolves group rather than my ultramarines. I just find the rhinos really useful for line of sight blocking and getting me where I want to go in maelstrom games.

For my space wolves, I think I'm going to just build the stormclaw box as grey hunters and throw them in the pod, then put the terminators and the HQ dude into one of their new transports and just have an allied group of cool looking guys. It won't be very good, but the person I play against most is primarily space wolves with a small vanilla marines detatchment so it'll be a fun inverse matchup.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Ghost Hand posted:

In all fairness I may have credited some comments made by others to you in my mind! As I am getting older it is all becoming a big blur.

On that note - I wanted to publicly thank SRM for joining me for an interview last night for the next episode of The ICs!

I hope it was an episode on dawn of war fan reactions.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

panascope posted:

The Vanguard Vets box is cool as heck and comes with the all important power armor thunder hammer and storm shield for making King poo poo of Punch Mountain. I keep meaning to make a biker Librarian with one of the power axes but I haven't had time recently.

I have to agree; the two vet kits are quite amazing. I'm going to be using bits from them to make my biker command squad (all grav guns all the time), and I used the awesome power sword for my bike librarian:

I think I'm in love with poorly done kit-bashing.

Edit: vvv
For pictures:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3630222&perpage=40&pagenumber=36#post434540829
and
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3630222&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=38#post435529985

Parts were dark vengeance librarian, hacked off at the waist. Dark Angels upgrade sprue for the wings and book, dark vengeance biker bolters just glued onto the wheel thingy. The baby is from the recent librarian kit, and the sword is from the vanguard vets kit.

drgnvale fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 30, 2014

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
My local GW said they have about 6 copies of Shield of Baal in, so I'm going to go try to pick one up along with a box of zoanthropes. The facebook page also said the end time books are getting reprinted, so maybe GW realized that people like cool things and don't want exclusivity for rules and fluff.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I've done a grand total of three bases I'm actually proud of (my recent inquisitor on a snow base is one of them), so I'd be fine with rebasing every one of my ultramarines onto new bases if it made them look better. Especially if I can find a cheap source of them that isn't GW. Maybe this will be the thing to push me into buying resin bases.

I pre-ordered the Shield of Baal box, but I'm not sure I want to keep the marines or the mini rulebook. Would $75 be too much to ask for the marines and mini rulebook? I think that would cover half the cost of the box plus fast shipping within the US. I could also sell them on ebay and probably make a little more, but then I'd have to deal with ebay.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
After months of ignoring them, I'm getting around to building a bunch of tyranids I bought much earlier this year; would someone please help me decide between a harpy and a crone? It seems like the crone does anti-air by smashing into other fliers, and the harpy zooms around shooting at ground targets and maybe charging things if it gets grounded?

For carnifexes and hive tyrants, I think I want to double up on BL devourers, but it looks like each carnifex sprue only comes with a single pair of them. I'm thinking of trying to model some myself following one of the many internet tutorials. I'll probably have to do this for the tyrant, especially since the wings take up arm spots so he's only getting two arms anyway, but for the carnifex models how bad would it be to just use the single pair and some scything talons as decoration? I realize that it wouldn't fly in a wysiwyg tournament, but for the types of casual games I play would people be confused? I really like how the talons look on them, and if I made my own they would look really mismatched with the official bits.

Finally, I greatly regret buying the ebook codex when it came out, because god drat this thing is useless for looking up rules. Have the newer ebooks gotten better organization, or should I stick to paper and iBooks?

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Uh I'm pretty sure the tyranids have a ton of rending claws so the BA are just poo poo out of luck.

Thanks for the advice on the flyer and carnifex modelling. I'll probably model a pair of talons on each of the carnifexes because it looks the best and if someone seems confused by it I'll just play it as talons. Its not like I plan on winning a lot as tyranids, just like I don't plan on winning often as ultramarines without named characters. I just want to have enjoyable games where lots of stuff happens and almost everyone is dead at the end.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

An Angry Bug posted:

What an insightful rebuttal.

Look, I just got into this about a year ago, but the setting's lack of progression is already starting to feel restrictive to me. How are the authors handling this for so long? It'd tear at my brain to just have something stagnant for this long, and it's not like progression would be bad for business. New kits, new factions, a chance to improve rules as tactics changed. Or heck, just have a 50K line if you don't want to progress the main story.

This worked quite well for battletech as can be seen by how beloved the dark ages are.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I agree that it's a bit annoying that the official fluff is pushing things so close to when the poo poo really hits the fan, but it'd be even worse if the next campaign featured the golden throne failing and warp travel becoming impossible and the tyranids eating the eye of terror or any number of things they could do because I don't want to hear spergs bitch and moan that now I shouldn't be able to ally this or that faction and it doesn't make sense that the ultramarines are fighting the space wolves because they are supposed to be defending holy terra from the dark eldar slavers.

Do you guys not remember the lessons from the 90s RPGs? Metaplot is rear end.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Miniwargaming.com's battle reports are so hit or miss. I enjoy almost everything Matt does, but Dave, Ash, and all of the other obnoxious and loud folks need to get some medication.

Does anyone else do narrative campaign battle reports? The Storms of Ixia (Orcs, Guard and Tyranid) and more recent SoB vs Genestealer campaigns were really well done and very entertaining. I'd like more stuff like this.

I'd also like to play more stuff like this, so I guess I too would like narrative campaigns to be a bigger thing in 40k.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The only way to do a progression of the setting and not have it be utterly game endingly poo poo, would be to do one expansion every few years with each expansion being an end game 'What If' scenario. None of them fixed canonically.

And then everyone would poo poo their pants at GW exploiting the customers for more money.

Didn't white wolf do this when they ended the old World of Darkness setting? Again, horrible flashbacks to 90s RPGs in this thread.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

BlackIronHeart posted:

Are miniwargaming's vids considered the best batrep videos out there? I didn't really know this was a thing and my group has an HD webcam over our primary game table to provide top down views like old WD batreps. We might start doing this sort of thing.

Good lord no. While I really enjoy Matt's videos, his games are never competitive like frontline's or any of the tournament groups that publish videos. They also tend to run really long; a frontline video might be 10-20 minutes, and a miniwargaming one is going to be at least 40, sometimes 120+, unless its one of the new tyranids ones where the new units get stomped out by D str weapons without doing much. On the positive side, he's such a good sport about winning and losing. The reports do make you feel like you're watching a game of 40k between friends, so if you don't like all the dice rolling and moving they will bore you. Matt's also in love with statistics, so every time he rolls a bunch of dice he calls out how close to average the rolls are, but that's really the most annoying thing.

Dave's videos are "lol random" nonsense with rapid sweeping camera movement, unregulated volume and general bad internet behavior. It's like watching a battle report done by those weird foam girls who had their 5 minutes of internet fame some time back. Occasionally I consider dropping my miniwargaming vault membership just to put into concrete terms how much I dislike the majority of their non-Matt content.

But then Matt will run a narrative campaign that lasts for 5-6 weeks and is really well done and I renew the drat thing just to make sure I get more of those.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

PierreTheMime posted:

So I just opened up my Deathstorm box. I know people were talking a lot about the new base sizes for the Broodlord and the Death Company, but I was very surprised to find that the Carnifex also now has a new oval-shaped base. Very strange.

I just opened my Deathstorm box and found out that the tyranid terrain bits I've been trying to find cheap on ebay are part of the genestealer sprue. Go me!

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I didn't get a square one either, just a 25mm for the teleport homer. You got a lucky mispack!

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I've been working on my tervigon for the oath thread, and I think it's coming along great. Especially as this is only the second tyranid model I've attempted, after a horm for testing the color scheme.

Still plenty of work to do finishing the model up and then cleaning up some of the shaky highlights, but I'm really happy with the basic colors and how it looks from 18" away.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Ignite Memories posted:

Looking good! Behemoth's always looked great in the snow. The cool white for the base against the deep red of the body really pops. And I'm glad you're using a cool blue for the chitin, rather than the more turquoise tone that a lot of folks seem to use. It would have clashed with the snow. Are you going to attempt any kind of a goo effect on the bursting nidsack? Also, what are your plans for the doomchimneys?

Thanks! I have no idea what I'm going to do for those things, which is why I'm saving them for (almost) last. I want to try to figure out the talons and hooves first, then the little spine dohickeys, and then I'll tackle the chimneys. And then there's corruption/growths on the base... tyranids are pretty fun to paint and build.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
It makes a lot more sense when you remember that Hollismason primarily plays on Vassel, where everything is free.

I hope GW has a Blood Angels apology week with some free formations once they have some time to process this release. I have around 30 assault marines and 10 vanguard vets still on sprue and I was totally going to make them a BA army. I probably still will, and I'll use them in the formation Hollismason is going on about because assault marines are the first thing I ever saw in 40k and I always wanted to field them.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

not to pull a hollis but this blood angels box is actually p sweet. beats having to buy a box of death company and sanguinary guard for shoulderpads and torsos.

It is a cool looking box of space men, and if it'd been released a week or so before the codex I think a lot of people would have been all over it. It's a shame about the timing really.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I finished my oath thread tyranid model tonight:

I'm really happy with this guy, and I'm looking forward to doing a carnifex or high tyrant next month. All of the giant models seem like they will be fun, but the thought of doing all of the gaunts and gargoyles is depressing :(

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I haven't had a chance to play with my tyranids against a live opponent. I have played against myself to make sure I was familiar with weapon profiles and rules though. I hate how slow my games go as space marines and that's an army I more or less know the rules for, so I would be very hesitant to play a game against a live opponent if I had to have my face down in the codex constantly and every shooting attack took 10 minutes to resolve.

So yeah, I don't think it's that wierd to practice warhams by yourself, especially if you don't have a very active gaming group where you're playing every week.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Sulecrist posted:

I have just about finished assembling my new Stormraven and I am leaning towards not magnetizing it. I'm not sure how to have swappable hurricane bolters without filling the interior with junk, and I prefer the way it looks without them. The turret on top would be easier to magnetize than the hurricane bolters, but less easy than just gluing the lascannons on and calling it a day.

Will I probably be fine for all eternity with MM/Lascannons/no hurricane bolters, or are there any really wicked good alternate builds that I will be missing out on?

Ninja edit: I have a skyhammer stormtalon and a heavy bolter fire raptor, so I have dedicated antipersonnel/APC flyers if I really need them.

The way I magnetized the hurrican bolters worked out really well. I glued the magnets to the inside of the access doors and then painted over them. You can't really see into the inside all that well with the ramp down, so no one is ever going to notice that the door isn't entirely flat on the inside. Then the bolter shroud got some magnets greenstuff welded to it. That's actually the only part I did magnetize, the rear end cannons are just elmers glued onto the turret. I have plans to go magnetize the rear end cannons and lasor cannons one day, but so far the assault cannons have been just fine and I haven't felt the need to swap them out.

The Multimelta is just shoved into the gun spot, no glue or anything. It wedges in pretty well on it's own.

Speaking of magnetizing, I think I might have to use magnets for the Crone's little missile bugs. At first friction was keeping them attached to the wing mounts, but now they are falling off. I think I'll just drill into the wing mounts and put a magnet in there, and then another small one in the chest of the missile guy and hope its not too ugly. I'd guess that since you don't see that part at all I will get over it, but I'm kinda obsessive about magnets being visible. I'm also not sure which size would be needed; should I use the ones I use for vehicle weapons (1/8"), or the really tiny ones I use for space marine arms/weapons (1/16")?

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I dunno, it reminds me of that Frank Frazetta rendering of the barbarian on a sled being pulled by polar bears (see http://frankfrazetta.org/). Its pretty over the top, but its not the worst thing GW has done in recent years.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

AbusePuppy posted:

I think it's funny that people get angry about someone else painting their army the "wrong" color for the rules you're using. Chill out and play with plastic space barbies, you guys.

I've honestly never had anyone give me poo poo when I want to run my ultramarines as another chapter tactics (provided I'm not using one of the characters), as long as I describe what they do before we start. And then you can always call your ultramarines alpha legion and goons will find it hilarious.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Speaking of dangerous battlefield things, did anyone pick up the Cyro-storm altar of war mission? I'm told that the gimmicks are new objectives that let you trade VP for random powerups, and a storm mechanic that severely limits long range shooting and makes it so if you aren't in terrain or a transport you can die really easily. Sounds like it could make late game objective grabbing or maelstrom card achieving much more dangerous. I like the idea of a bunch of guardsman rushing out of a building into a horrific blizzard to secure a terminal and losing over half the squad to cold before they can get there.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Cataphract posted:

if it's super glue you should be able to just wiggle and snap em off. If that's too hard, pop them in the freezer it'll make the glue more brittle

You can also slide an exacto blade under the foot and slice them off, but don't slip and destroy your fingertips.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I didn't think the vents were that bad, but I use a gel based superglue that is really easy to apply and limit how much goes on, so there was just a hint of it on the vents themselves. Most of it went onto the carapace/vent join point. Getting them to go on aligned in one direction was a bit of a challenge... I swear that most of the model looks lopsided unless you're looking at a section head on. I guess it just sits at a really bad angle on my desk from my standing height.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Ghost Hand posted:

I should have been more specific - I was referring to the Tyranid Drop pod.

The spore is, in general, a pleasure to assemble. I'm thinking of buying another one, but I'll probably wait until I've painted this one up to see if it's less fun than it looks (it looks like a lot of fun to paint).

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Seeing all of those great full-army shots made me curious about how close to fully painted my primary army has gotten. It's not even close :(

This is about half of my already assembled space marine junk, not to mention all of the vehicles still on sprue.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Uh, anyone in the Seattle area want his non-tyranid stuff? We could do a group buy...

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Master Twig posted:

Which the adepticon faq says they do. According to them, each gun has a 45 degree during arc. It's baffling how they could make a ruling like that when it has literally no basis on any rule in the rulebook.

I think they're getting that from how the model looks. Yeah, in that case it would make sense, but that's not how any other mc works.

I think that's based on the white dwarf article that introduced the model. I really wish GW cared more about their products :(

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Uroboros posted:

Here is the entirety of what I have painted so far. Apparently, my camera work needs help as well.

Your ultramarines and my ultramarines should fight. I like yours quite a bit, especially the gold trim!

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

BirdieBedtime posted:

^^ fuckin owns

I feel like this is a good pose, but there's a little part of my brain telling me that something's wrong with it. What do y'all think?

His arm is hosed up, bent at a weird angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Monoliths posted:

Finished up some orks recently, so y'all get lovely phone pics.

Looted wagon #1.

Looted wagon #2.

Deffkoptas.

Mega armored mek with KFF.

Counts-as loota, ded shiny shoota mek, and counts-as Grotsnik.

Mega dred.

Gorkanaut.
(If you look closely you can see he has a turret on a turret on a turret on a turret on a turret!)

Did I do it right??? :ohdear:

Quite right.

• Locked thread