Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

serious gaylord posted:

Someone has compared the new book to the old one. There are 6 new pages of rules content. 6.

It was only a matter of time before GW picked up on what the textbook industry has been up to for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Tadhg posted:

Playgroup preferences in Texas are going to be used to decide what the rulebooks contain for everyone else?

Exactly.

In 8e, the Horus Heresy will be known as The War of Imperial Aggression, for starters.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

AbusePuppy posted:

Well, as it happens our culture defines masculine as the "default" and feminine as exclusively defined by a relatively-narrow set of features, so if you're crafting an androgynous/hermaphroditic look out of that mindset, you essentially just add some female features and you have, by exclusion, something that is neither male nor female. Good ol' gender norms, gettin' used all over the place!

JerryLee posted:

Oh believe me, the fact that the game universe literally attempts to define deviation from norms on gender presentation as the hallmark of an evil god is its own delightful can of worms :allears:

But this isn't queer theory class and I wouldn't be fully qualified to teach it if it was.

No one ever comments on my Slaaneshi cultists lovelingly modeled with Compelete Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome or XX Male Syndrome :(

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

SRM posted:

I do appreciate more dynamic dreadnoughts to a degree, but I always think it's pretty funny when you've got what's essentially a washing machine on legs sprinting like Usain Bolt.

Are you saying dreadnoughts can't be as athletic as they were in life? :colbert:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Mango Polo posted:

I have no mouth and I must scream.

If this was a Plague Marine, it would be kickin' rad.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Huh, Shattered Legions? Rules for further diversifying playing a Legion by having either Loyalist or Traitor-specific rules to represent splits in the Legions that overall turned Traitor?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

JerryLee posted:

I would play at a game store that just said "GAY" in big letters as the store sign. It would probably be a good way of self-selecting for people who aren't homophobic grognards.

Also for extremely old people who still think "gay" is a synonym for "happy". They come in to meet other happy people, and it results in a 96-year-old great-grandmother cursing her dice in archaic fashion while the non-homophobic grognard across from her tries to figure out how he's going to gracefully beat an old lady.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I believe there was a canon story with an orc going back in time and killing his past self so he could dual-wield his gun, so I don't see why you can't have a dude popping in when he's supposed to be dead.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

BuffaloChicken posted:

All my scorpions are converted counts-as tarantulas, so it really isn't that surprising.

H...Hollismason?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Personally, I think it's always nice to give *some* context to NWS images, not just slap the tags on and be like ""gd don''t be such a big baby."

Moola posted:

I... I just wanted a gif of the funny assassin man.... I...

It's ok Moola, I have funny assassin man for you:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Captain Invictus posted:

It's an iconic tragic historical moment in the same way the photo of the Hindenburg is. That kid quite literally killed the Japanese Communist Party when he assassinated their leader there. He might've misunderstood the request but I'm actually kinda surprised you've never seen that before.

Do you freak out when you see the picture of Lee Harvey Oswald getting shot?

I personally wasn't too phased (which is probably a combination of general jadedness and my physiology background), but film can inspire a different degree of reaction than a still picture, and a real murder inspires a different reaction from one on TV or in the movie.

Whole lotta "beep boop why so distaught by film of real murder" in this thread.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Doctor Borris posted:

tables where people banged hams

:stonk:

Keep it dead!

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

JerryLee posted:

At this point I would almost have more respect for GW if they came out and said that if you want to simulate a battle with your finely detailed citadel miniatures, you should just move them around and make pew pew noises at each other.

"My Land Raider fires its supershell! It automatically destroys your dreadnought!"
"Nuh-uh! My dreadnaught has atomic shielding which resists everything!
"Mooooom!"

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

NTRabbit posted:

Amongst many other terms, yes. They also tried to claim ownership of things made by contracted artists who explicitly retained the rights to those creations in their contracts (back then they paid to use the art, nowadays they pay the artist to create art for them to own), then when that ownership was contested they claimed they had no idea where the artists were or how to contact them, while sending new contracts to those artists at their home addresses telling them to sign over everything and backdate these contracts ASAP. One of the artists called bullshit rather rapidly and contacted the defense team about it.

Lammo.

I'm getting a strong Strogg vibe off of those :stare: (which is cool).

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Improbable Lobster posted:

There was that one Black Templars comic where a bolt pistol is scared and confused that it isn't being shot after it's wielder died.

"Where is friend? Why does friend not want to shoot anymore? :smith:"

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

MkIII and Cataphractii are the coolest :colbert:

Star Man posted:

I mix and match my space marine armors because I don't give a gently caress.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I took my first Contemptor out for his first battle last night. He gunned down several CSM, got a Vehicle Explodes result on a Hellbrute on his first round of trading fire with it, and a Deep Striking unit of CSM Terminators scattered onto him and got a 1 on the mishap roll :c00lbert:

I'm half tempted to name him after all that.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Captain Invictus posted:

That's a hella short sword for a god-warrior

Considering he's in Primarch armor, that thing's got to be, what, six feet? It'd probably qualify as a short sword for a Primarch, though :v:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

thegodofchuck posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Horus_Heresy_(novels)#Titles

Fulgrim is actually pretty good, so chronologically works imo.
Graham McNeill, Dan Abnett, ADB = good. Anyone else = how much do you like HH?
Personally, I've read through Vengeful Spirit, and about the only one that I was really wrinkling my nose at was Descent of Angels (yes, I could even find something enjoyable in Nemesis), but tastes vary.

The short story compilations are also good in general.

The Angels ones are just kind of...bland. Damnation of Pythos is bad. I don't know who the hell David Annandale is, but I didn't like Death of Antagonis either, and the guy has to step up his writing game. The writing itself is just...bleh. I couldn't finish Death of Antagonis because it pained me to read his writing. It's the only 40k book I've ever tried to return, and the only reason I still have it is because Amazon told me to keep it for some reason.

Don't forget Scars by Chris Wraight. He's a newer author, but he's pretty drat good.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

CyberLord XP posted:

Off I go to the fantasy thread. Wish me luck.

Where you're going...you won't need points to craft a narrative.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

If you light your opponent on fire while screaming "PURGE THE HERETIC", you get +1 BS with all Inquisition units in your next shooting phase.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Move over, Spare Marine, there's a new kid on the block at GW HQ.

For some reason when I look at this, I wonder how Donald Trump got a position of influence at GW.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

BULBASAUR posted:

welp

From BOLS

I see our troll-fu is strong.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

They're phasing out the "3 storyline sets in fall/winter/spring and 1 core set in summer" for a "2 block 1 storyline set in fall/winter and again in spring/summer". The rotation scheme also shows a little bit of change. Basically they found a third set in the block a little burdensome to work with in terms of spreading mechanics over three sets, so they're changing it up to make sets tighter overall.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Poor guy's probably just happy to be inside after standing for over a decade in English weather.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

SRM posted:

I just don't care for sportsball, even violent fantasy sportsball. Gorkamorka or Necromunda though, sign me the gently caress up.

The webstore for Malifaux is down because of Gencon. I'll look up the starter boxes then. If I can just play with the cowboy guys I might be interested. I just don't want weird half angel zombie dogs and poo poo.

If you go to http://www.wyrd-games.net/malifaux , there's a number of faction icons. Clicking on one of those faction icons will take you to a page with the faction Masters, lore, and a general tactica. Clicking on one of the Masters will take you to the page showing their background, starter box contents (front with art, back with renders), and general tactica.

It doesn't cover *all* the models available yet, but at least you can see what the starter pack models look like.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Best of all, it would actually serve as incredibly effective camouflage, appearing as a functional tank thanks to the gestalt psychic field all orks emit, which allows seemingly non-functional items to work perfectly thanks to the belief of the orks that it will work.

:can:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

See, I could buy mounted weapons on regular transport trucks or railcars. It's not like there isn't the risk of ganger or Chaos cultist raids. Sticking them on crates - the kind that look like they want to be *stacked* - now that's loving dumb.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

TheChirurgeon posted:

oh poo poo what stuff are you selling? I could totally be a buyer

PantsOptional posted:

I'm also potentially interested, depending on what's being sold.

*whoosh*

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

serious gaylord posted:

Master of Mankind is out on Friday, and by all accounts its the best book ADB, and black library have ever put out.

Is that just Black Library, or should chain stores like Barnes and Noble be getting it then too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I haven't posted here much since I only have a small Space Marine force that I only really played with my brother, and while I like the heavy walking tank approach - Mk3 armor, Catapractii Terminators, etc - I have to say that the idea of "bigger super Marines" is kinda dumb. They really should have just had a shift in philosophy influencing gameplay, like the reformation of Legions or something. Anything relating to Force Composition and balance adjustments for individual items than this poo poo.

• Locked thread