Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

DJ Dizzy posted:

Not really, the exact wording is "Furthermore, a model with a runic weapon adds 1 to Deny the Witch rolls" It doesn't specify that he has to be the one denying the witch.

Weren't you going to quit playing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Ooh, yeah. I hadn't thought about it, but Swooping Hawks are loving great now.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

^^^^ Which one is that?

Lord Twisted posted:

That Knights FAQ... I would be loving passed off if I bought the Knights book

"Ignore this book. Thanks for the money."

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Right now I'm more interested in hearing how the random objective cards pan out. So far I've heard nothing in between either praise for how fun they are or total slams for how they replace player actions with a deck of cards as the determiner of victory. They are going to be the real test of seventh edition, I think.

I played a game with the cards tonight, and it was pretty good for most of it, but one or two of the cards were a little over the top. There's one that gets you D3 kill points for killing their warlord, on top of the point you already get, and then still gives you the points even if you killed him in some earlier turn. That's a bit too random. Another one gave D3+3 points for dominating all 6 objectives (easier now that everything is scoring) which is right and fine because it's really hard to do, but it's also a bit of insult to injury because if you're down to the point where the other guy can cover all 6, you're probably hosed anyhow. It took what was already a win (not for me) and made it a less fun win.

Also, the change to fortifications giving them hull points is pretty huge. It means that a couple of squads of lascannon HWTs or, say, a squad of meganobz can wipe out the Strongpoint in a single round. Which is fine, but it also sets off the vortex missiles inside, which is also hilarious and fine, but not everyone will feel that way when their 550 point building goes up.

I did have a commissar shoot down a Dakkajet with a bolt pistol though, so I really won the game in the end.

Fix fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 28, 2014

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

ghetto wormhole posted:

Paging discount_bees to the 40k thread! This needs to be illustrated.

I was using this model:

For his service he has been given the name Heresy Ford. His great glory came after escaping the collapse of his bunker by vortex explosion through an escape hatch alongside a single melta guardsman. The timely exit put them unchallenged on a scoring objective that had the skyfire nexus, denying the objective to the orks and taking it for themselves. They took full advantage and downed the nearby plane (Heresy did not actually need the nexus, rolling sixes). Then they were run down by a skorcha wagon with deffrolla. He ordered the guardsman to death or glory it and it exploded. Then they died as the deffrolla murdered them for standing there.

He will live on.

Fix fucked around with this message at 08:28 on May 28, 2014

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

serious gaylord posted:

And how does that translate to 'not knowing how to play the game'?

Fix clearly knows the rules too

Now now, let's not say something we might regret.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Seriously, I just hate guardsmen and like to watch them die.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

serious gaylord posted:

Sounds like you should be in charge of a lot of them then!

Every Tuesday night.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

e: ^^^^^ Those all seem pretty cool.

Oh, something else about the tactical cards I forgot about last night: They should have included cards for Slay the Warlord and Linebreaker and First Blood, because using the cards themselves to track the score would be useful. The same goes with the psychic deck: they should have put an extra card with the Perils chart in there.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

serious gaylord posted:

I think this is where you confusion is. You seem to equate casual players as people who 'Don't know what they're doing, and when told otherwise their ego stops them from listening to me and thus being a better player.' You also seem to think that 'casual' players seem to think they deserve to win because they've spent money on the models they have. This is where you're going wrong.

It also depends on what it is you're after winning. The irony about winning sportsmanship awards (and the accompanying prizes) is that you're not allowed to brag about winning sportsmanship awards (and the accompanying prizes) despite getting the same amount of recognition (and prizes) as the best general.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Panzeh posted:

I always found it funny that only in a 40k tournament will you see "sportsmanship awards", like they need some special incentive to get people not to be dickwads. I mean, it's there in Flames of War too, but it strikes me as really odd.

Sure, but you don't win Sportsman awards just by not being a dick. You do so by making fun games for your opponent, whether they be someone who is not necessarily good at the game, brought a sub-optimal list, or is a genuine facecrusher who got beat by other facecrushers in the first two rounds and is having a bad day because they're out of the running. Because if it's all about the winners then the majority of games played in a tournament are immaterial if you can't have a good time.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

spacegoat posted:

Epic: Armageddon is an amazing ruleset and the community that's been keeping it alive and updated has done a fantastic job. It, BFG and Blood Bowl have (or had) great fan support that evolved the rules rather than re-wrote them. Anyone remember the leaked 6th (or was it 5th? gently caress I'm getting old) edition stuff that turned out to be completely fake, but everyone was excited about? I want something like that.

If you want that as a starting point, I still have a copy of it.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

You guys should make a thread for this project so as to not confuse people learning 7th.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

The terrain rules in general feel like a great step back, IMO.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Hencoe posted:

The rest of the game I played against a friend of mine doesnt matter. His GK landraider just rolled a 6 on the perils table after throwing all his dice to cast sanctuary (and it passed) thankfully that was his only unit left, a LR with a 2++ and fleshbane/armorbane, this is both dumb and hilarious.

Oh man, if that was a Redeemer :black101:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

How about: You can take a mulligan on your hand of maelstrom cards, but your Warlord cannot take any voluntary actions that turn.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Captains can't get Special or Heavy Weapon choices though, so you can't do it properly.

Drop a counts-as Obliterator in there as your Heavy.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Moola posted:

Master of the Forge with a Conversion Beamer as a dude with a Conversion Beamer.

Why you gotta change it up?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Pacheeco posted:

So it's a bit unclear from my first read-through but I think my suspicions are right: did the new FAQs just change Grey Knights and Blood Angels so they lose all their 5e Codex powers and can only roll (or are automatically given) powers from the 7e Rule Book?

Forge the narrative! Erase the narrative! Forge the narrative! Erase the narrative!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Sooooo… the Stronghold Assault FAQ tells us to ignore the rules on the page where points costs and limitations are put on battlement and battlefield upgrades. Now what?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Oh hang on. No, I'm seeing the problem here. Discrepancy between the page numbers on the electronic version versus the print. The FAQ covers print.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Thundercloud posted:

Are normal Nobz on 40mm bases?

Here's a question. With this new detachment fuckery where you can include infinite force orgs in your army, and the mention of special force orgs in codexes, what are the odds on the following?

Probably about the same odds as all the special allies-only detachments and faction-specific fortifications we saw from 6th. Basically: "It'll happen, but it'll be a weird rules-agnostic imperium supplement."

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Someone needs to buy one and compare for scale. TIA.

This guys says "about the size of a baneblade."

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

BuffaloChicken posted:

EDIT: We got real drunk so I don't remember the game too well but the hovering Vendetta exploded and a piece of airplane flew out and smushed my Farseer. Pretty cool to have your Warlord scythed down by exploding jet shrapnel, so it was a good game. I forget who won.

WAAC garbage.

Win Assumed, Alcohol Consumed

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

AgentF posted:

Stormfrontline Gaming

Goddamn.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

BobFromMarketing posted:

Alright so in my time looking at the Necron rules I have come across the synaptic disintegrator which has a strength of X. What exactly does that X mean? Is the strength variable? Does it always wound on a certain number? I really need to get the main rulebook :vomarine:

It's a sniper weapon. It wounds on a 4+.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Yeah, we literally pack up eight to twelve guys and go to the bar after game night every Tuesday and it's rad. Game clubs are great.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Tonight Yarrick punched a Carnifex into a black hole.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Yeah, I REALLY don't like the new codex organization. I only have the ebook version of the Guard book right now, but compared to the old one actually trying to find point costs, upgrades, and statlines is just intensely frustrating. Even when I have access to the physical book, having to flip between two different sections of the book to hash out a list is just needlessly frustrating. Not to mention being told to refer to the main book for information on my army's most basic weapons.

That they continue to put ten pages of model shots between the section that tells you what things cost and the section that tells you what things do is the dumbest thing in the world. Stick it after the fluff and just do rules for god's sake.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

BuffaloChicken posted:

Sweet. I miss running Straken and having him be a hero... should do that more often.

Also, Fix, check it! To everyone else, Fix sold my brother a small plasma globe a few weeks back - he just finished this terrain piece. Looking forward to getting a game in with it - we'll have to make up some rules for it.

It's every bit as awesome I was worried it would be. :negative:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Spanish Manlove posted:

Why? Just why?

I would imagine he scored a great used deal of some ham that offed himself and totaled up the actual retail value. That's what got me back into this mess after so many years. A great deal on Craigslist. $100 for some $2k worth of models. Wonder what that list would have looked like with today's prices.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Ghost Hand posted:

I took video of my gaming room and the stuff in it for this purpose. That video is stored off site.

Did you flip through the sprues stored in old Land Raider boxes like a deck of cards?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Games > Traditional Games > Warhammer 40k 7th Edition - Be Embarrassed! B-E Embarrassed! B-E E-M-B A-R-R-A-S-S-E-D!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ya problem is I already bought it. Still I do play Chaos so the new models are a Nice addition. Plus I did not own the 6th ed rules anyway.

Well on the upside you own 97% of 7th.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Gross.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Post 9-11 User posted:

This is the goddamn smartest thing I have read regarding boltguns.

Shortest list ever.

e: vvv give this dude your 2nd ed nids and some candy and no one gets hurt.

Fix fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 8, 2014

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Post 9-11 User posted:

Tons of decent models, no one to play with and I can't push any of the extras unless I sell them for pennies on the dollar. There's a Forgeworld Eldar fighter that I painted Ulthwe which is pretty cool and will sell easily, I didn't put it up for sale because I wanted to use it and it was a gift from my brother (one of his many eBay purchases, I had to strip the paint, thick goopy purple paint).

Jesus gently caress, make an SAMart list. Let us (pick your bones clean) help you out of this mess.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Tadhg posted:

e: Top of page Discount Bees throwback picture!

Hot drat, I miss that man.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

JerryLee posted:

Also, in general (not just ghetto wormhole) is there an actual competing hypothesis for why they'd keep the full codex under wraps for an additional week after putting out the models? Is there only one caravan's worth of camels for them to send the packages out on and they have to make a round trip and reload?

Because they get to send you twice or three times as many emails this way. It triples the amount of news they have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

JerryLee posted:

Not a bad answer. Here's a follow-up question: why not then release the codex first and let the customers spend a week or two getting hype for the new plastic (perhaps pre-ordering it)?

Because they'd rather you buy plastic during the hype before you buy the codex and realize you hate it or just hear reviews that it's bad.

Once you own new units you're invested and more likely to think better of the book anyway out of confirmation bias.

• Locked thread