Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Oh god why is the Duck so bad. Who thought it was a good idea to have moped engines powering an airplane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Ranging targets gets easier over time. Soon enough you'll be able to get a first shot within 100m of a tank 1.5km away from you just by eyeballing it.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Subyng posted:

I thought the horizontal notches were for rangefinding? Like, a tank that is X notches in length is Y m away.

About the range markings on the sights being accurate, wouldn't it depend on the ammo you are firing due to different shell velocities?

They can be used for rangefinding, yes.

The sight automatically adjusts for whatever ammo you have loaded.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

AceRimmer posted:

Now the Italian P.108 with the anti-shipping howitzer would be nice, especially once there's boats to sink.

He-111 with wire-guided bombs. :getin: (I know that probably won't happen, but I can dream. It'd also be one way to make the He-111 not unredeemable dogshit.)

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Russian players are getting better, German players continue to be mentally handicapped nazis.

I wish the Germans had a plane like the Yak-9T to act as a multi-role. It's a great fighter which is also great at anti-tank duty.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Hambilderberglar posted:

With the 140/1 existing there is no real reason for the Flakpanzer 1c, the open fighting compartment offers no benefit, the gun works fine if you can avoid being shot though :q:

The FlaK 38 uses magazines of twice the size, has lots of ammo and reloads in like 2 seconds.

It also doesn't cost actual money.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Hambilderberglar posted:

But the conversation was about tier 1 and both flak trucks are in tier 2??

FlaK 38 is the gun that the Flakpanzer 1 uses.

Teal posted:

ZSU-37. No word on ZSU-57-2 yet :smith:

The ZSU 57-2 might be stretching it a bit. If they do put it in, it's no doubt going to be tier 5, and well, SPAAGs are not very good against jets.

Of course, perforating KTs with a vehicle that's barely bulletproof would be great.

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 1, 2014

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
The Tiger is great, for a heavy. Heavies aren't very good in this game though, compared to mediums..

Pimpmust posted:

(why is the Panther D before the Panther A in the tech tree? Or rather, why is the germans weird with naming stuff)

The Panther D was the first production Panther, not the A. I don't know why they did that.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Just had a Yak-9K one-shot my JgPz IV with a shot to the side. We're talking about one-shotting something with a 45mm HE shell here. :wtc:

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Even if it hit the roof, a 45mm round does not carry nearly enough explosives to cause any damage through the armor.

Carecat posted:

Is the German medium F1 a horrible joke because the F2 is really good? :ohdear:

Yes.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
The F1 should just start with HEAT, really. The whole WoT idea of a tank being complete dogshit until upgraded is just dumb.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Teal posted:

Wasn't Tiger "H" because they picked Henschel's design over the Porsche's one?

You're thinking of the Tiger II which used two turrets. Both turrets were designed by Krupp, but they were designed for the Porsche Tiger II and the Henschel Tiger II, hence the different names. Henschel got the contract for the Tiger II, but they already had 50 turrets for the Porsche one, so they just put those turrets on the first 50 Tiger IIs made.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
I saw the round clearly hit the side of my armor and detonate outside the tank, but other players' rounds have never displayed properly. Dying from a round hitting the ground in front of you is great.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
The 20mm can pierce the hull of the T-50 quite easily, you just have to aim for the lower sides, between the road wheels. You're definitely outmatched, but you can still win.

Probably works for T-34s too, but I haven't gotten the chance to try it since you don't see them too often in the Pz II and when you do they just one-shot you anyways.

When people talk about how they're not getting any kills even though they've put several rounds into someone, they really need to list: The target, hit locations and gun/ammo.

bUm posted:

It's just fine if it doesn't get tiered up against T-50s/T-34s. The problem in SB (and probably RB) is that's unlikely. Its default rounds work great against appropriate BR stuff (better than HEAT) like T-28, BT-7, T-70, etc.

I thought the F1 was higher BR than 2.0. Maybe I'm just imagining that, or maybe they changed it. Yeah, I guess it shouldn't be too bad if it fights other BR 2.0 tanks, but as you said it sees plenty of T-50s and T-34s which are all but immune to the default ammo.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

Tier 4 88 Flak Trucks

Shouldn't be any higher than tier 2, really, especially once MGs are working.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

Knowledge is cool. People pretending that said knowledge will help them play a cartoon game or acting as if spreadsheets are the sole reason they die gets obnoxious.

People acting like it doesn't matter are also obnoxious.

I don't think I've seen anyone go "If only I had the engine filter upgrade I would've won that match".

Infinite Monkeys posted:

It seems like every T-60 ammo belt is actually the same:

I'm using what's meant to be an AP round, but every other shot is HE as if it's the basic ammo rack :(

Did you make sure before spawning that you actually had different belts for the different slots? The game likes to put the default ammo in each slot every now and then.

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 2, 2014

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Unkempt posted:

Also, I've been really liking the soviet TDs but it seems like every time I shoot something with the SU122 one of the guys has to get out and walk back to Moscow to get the next shell. What the gently caress takes all that time.

That's the price to pay to be able to one-shot anything, anywhere. Reload times in general take significantly longer than they did in reality for gameplay reasons.

Ludicro posted:

I've heard that Kursk in SB was night on impossible for the Germans, but the first match I played in it on RB was a landslide for the German team. Had a very near miss from a Russian bomb mind, but Kampfgruppe Sperg won the day.

Kursk is basically made for German tanks with their high-velocity guns.

Just about every time you see complaints about Soviet tanks being too good, it's a dumb wehraboo pubbie.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Rest In Piss RommelsWarcrimes, you were too good for this world.

Gotta love the nazi sympathizer moderators.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
The 85mm will one-shot pretty much everything it can pen, which can be handy. It also has excellent turret armor, I've often bounced rounds from the 75mm L/70.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

jadebullet posted:

my first jet, the Vampire.

I hope you're prepared for complete disappointment.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
They made the 23mm good against tanks now? In the CBT it was awful and you needed 100+ hits just to take out a Pz IV.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Duck_King posted:

Not true. I like the the SU-85 a lot. The problem with the SU-122 is that the poor gun depression coupled with a glacier like reload and paper thin armor means you only get one shot, and hit or no, if he has friends you're hosed. The tall profile also means that you get hit more often than your gun will be able to fire at, so going hull down is incredibly difficult. I suppose I will skip the 152 and go straight to the 100. Edit: Errr 85m I mean.

The SU-85 and SU-100 are the exceptions to the rule that Russian TDs are all about lobbing huge HE shells to one-shot everything.

Going hull-down without a turret is not possible, seeing as you're all hull.

It sounds like you'd have a better time just using Soviet medium tanks instead.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

quote:

Fixed an error when it was impossible to fix a damaged weapon even though firing from this weapon would lead to shell explosion inside the barrel.

Thank god, this was pretty drat annoying.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Wait, cross-platform is in now?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The card in the game says the mantlet is the same thickness as the front of the hull.

The Tiger's mantlet is 100mm thick in most areas, goes up to 150mm thick here and there (IIRC). What you have to keep in mind, is that the mantlet is there to protect the opening through which the gun is placed. There is no turret armor behind (most of) the mantlet.

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 4, 2014

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
What's the secret to killing T-34s with the MG151/15? Putting APCR rounds into the engine deck at a near 90 degree angle didn't do poo poo.

e: Oh, turns out the game decided to load the air targets belt instead of the armored targets, despite it being set to armored. :gaijin:

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 4, 2014

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
It's not any slower than other T-34s though. It also has excellent turret armor, so going hull-down can make you very hard to kill.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

Am I imagining that the next t-34-85 seems to accelerate quicker? Or is the only real change that it get ACPR?
stat card says 1s faster reload is the main difference.

The second T-34-85 gets APCR, reloads faster and has a faster turret rotation. It's a pretty minor upgrade in all.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
I wouldn't call it unfair, it's just really, really good.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
T-34-85s can easily kill Tigers and Panthers by shooting their turret. Tigers and Panthers can easily kill T-34-85s by shooting their hull, the turret will regularly bounce 75mm L/70 rounds. The T-34 also has a higher RoF.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
The Duck can barely keep itself from stalling when doing a 180 at 400kph. The Il-2 is quite maneuverable while it has energy though, so that shouldn't give many problems. It is of course also really heavy, so keep that in mind.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This is just the normal custom skin we can do with planes right? Or are we soon going to see a wave of people painting enemies like clowns like WoT?

Those skins are pretty funny. "Hey, if you shoot the turret, you'll hurt the mans in the turret". I had no idea.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

UberJew posted:

They're actually really helpful and I'd like something similar for War Thunder. Like every god drat tank has something unintuitive in its design and they're all different and I do not give anywhere near enough of a gently caress to look up diagrams for where every pzkpf variant keeps their ammo stores/etc.

Like all tanks of the era had the same setup for crew, ammo and engine placement. :ssh:

Driver and radio operator in front hull. Driver on the left side (did English tanks have the driver on the right?), RO on the right. Turret houses the Gunner, Commander and Loader. Gunner on the left, commander behind him and loader on the right. Ammo storage under turret, often in sponsons. Engine in the back, transmission in the front for German tanks.

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 4, 2014

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
I miss the early CBT where instead of giving you a module list, it instead just showed the tank internals changing color from damage. They should just let you enable that view in the garage, since it's already a thing that's in game.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
I wish the 112 A-0 got APCR rounds. Especially since the whole point of the A-0 was ground attack.

UberJew posted:

Engine in the back?

Except on a T-28, where there's a giant pile of largely irrelevant metal in the back that will do nothing if you shoot it.

Anything behind the turret is the back of the tank, really. If you're shooting a T-28 from behind, your round will still reach the engine even if it has to pass through a bunch of hollow space. If you're shooting a T-28 from the side, then what are you doing aiming for the engine anyways? Side shot = Ammo shot.

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 4, 2014

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Tanks today (the M1 Abrams for example) have sheets of metal around the gun breech to stop you from accidentally resting your arm in its way and promptly breaking every bone in said arm.

That Jingles video is bad because he failed to mention that Pzgr.39 has an explosive filler and therefore won't "ricochet around inside the tank".

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
There's usually a small hatch in the turret used for loading shells, can probably use that same hatch to throw casings out. Don't think bottom hatches became a thing until after WW2.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Is plane ammo selection just broken? It seems completely random as to wether it will let me use the ammo I select or not.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

Yes. Someone more familiar with arcade can explain it, but it's some equation where your battle ranking (shown in the plane's stat card) for matchmaking is the 3 highest BRs in your lineup, averaged.

Doesn't that mean you can put your best plane/tank in one slot and then just put reserves in the rest, putting you in matches way below your BR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Premium T-34-57 dropped to 4.0BR. Not really a tank that needed a buff, but hey.

• Locked thread