Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subyng
May 4, 2013
Combined Arms is awesome except for the fact that I have to play with stupid nametags in tanks RB and barely anyone plays planes SB. They need to combine planes RB with tanks SB...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I thought the horizontal notches were for rangefinding? Like, a tank that is X notches in length is Y m away.

I think the US tank sights are measured in yards which is close enough to metres.

About the range markings on the sights being accurate, wouldn't it depend on the ammo you are firing due to different shell velocities?

Also has anyone had success hitting planes with spaa? I unlocked the gaz truck but I have no idea how much to lead and also what is the difference between the ammo types? I'm guessing basically one is an ap type round and the other is an he type round? Will I get to shoot black puffs of smoke at planes??

Subyng fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 30, 2014

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Since matchmaking in CA now puts you in the highest tier match you be in, there's basically no point to playing anything but your strongest tank since otherwise you're just gimping yourself. Right? What if I want to play lower tiers?

Subyng
May 4, 2013

YellerBill posted:

I remove everything that's above 2.3 BR so that my lineup works with the T-34 L-11, I'll get matched with the T-34 L-11 as my highest tier tank.

So I have to reorganize my garage if I want to play different tanks. That's a pain...and stupid.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Shine posted:

You can make this easier by sending crews you don't need to use on holiday (i.e. unslot them).

How do I do this?

Subyng
May 4, 2013
So people say how in SB you can ust use the minimap to spot targets and stuff, well I just got killed by something I had LOS to but wasn't on my minimap so gg.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Azran posted:

Then why didn't you shoot. :v:

Well I didn't see where he was shooting me from. No tracers whatsoever until the third hit, by then I was crippled.

e: ^^^ he was also shooting me through trees so I wouldn't have seen him anyway =/

In other news, the SU-122 is hilarious. All the low tier Russian tanks are basically easy mode.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Oh hey. An enemy tank that was shooting at me from very close range (but I couldn't identify because it was covered in smoke) had a blue nametag over it so I thought it was a friendly. Then the nametag disappears and it kills me. There weren't any other friendlies around. What the hell? The game just straight up tricked me with a false nametag.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Raged posted:

How to I stop sucking with AA trucks. I am having a hell of a time aiming with the sight since it gets obscured after 2 shots. I can get one or two kills a match when they come straight at me.

I also suck with AA vehicles, but I just thought of a strategy that might work. That is instead of trying to continuously follow your target with fire, aim at a point in the sky where they are going and let them just fly into it.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Wow, suddenly I just cannot kill T-28s even when I never had problems killing them reliabily. Also, Panzer III F is still poo poo. No tank suffers crew death/crippling damage on the first hit/ammo burnouts quite as much as this shitwagon.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

AceRimmer posted:

Shoot them in the turret, don't use APCR? :shrug:
(Or turret bottom ammo rack if you can)

Yep, that's what I've been doing from day one. Bad luck today I guess.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Fart Car '97 posted:

Lol you can abuse the hell out of the 'shoot through the crest of hills thing' as long as you use 3rd person view. Most people have no idea what's happening.

Is this actually a thing or do we just mean arcing shots over hills?

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Re: spawns in CA, I think they should allow you to switch between different ground vehicles as long as they have the same number of respawns. Sometimes I like trying to shoot down planes in a SPAA, but after dying once, I don't want to gimp myself and the rest of my team by spawning in a truck again after all the planes are already dead and tanks are starting to cap.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Trying planes in arcade. Can someone tell me what I'm supposed to do in my biplane when I'm facing planes a tier higher than can wreck my poo poo with absolute ease?

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Yeah, at the very least when someone starts shooting me, I can quickly out turn them, let them fly fly past me, and score a couple hits before the zoom away out of range and come back for me at their leisure.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Just played some low tier games as Germans, lost every single game. It's sooooo frustrating how feeble low tier German tanks are compared to Russian ones. It's especially frustrating because pubbies are demonstratably not good, they just get lucky with their APHE rounds killing everything inside your stupid German paper mache box tank (not that I don't get lucky hits either, but I actually aim for specific spots and get mostly consistent results. I don't believe the same pubbies that can consistently let me solo them 2-on-1 in a StuG at point blank ranges know what they're doing). Conversely, playing as Russians is basically win mode, but dammit I want to have fun in my dumb boxtanks too!

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Which should I use for SPAA, ap rounds or fragmentation/he rounds???

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Feindfeuer posted:

Red is OK too?

That looks like something out of Warhammer 40K and that's awesome.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Did they change something with planes yesterday because suddenly I'm dying after like, 1-2 hits whereas before I could take a good beating before going down.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Tank battles is combined arms, for RB and SB only currently. I was confused too!

Subyng
May 4, 2013
It's not confirmation bias though, literally every plane death today was an insta-kill and literally every plane death before today (AA excepted) was a slow death. I've played very few games so far so I can account for every single one. My question was rhetorical anyway, it was just annoying getting killed with 1-2 hits every game.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Thief posted:

Except that is quite literally confirmation bias. Are the planes more agile now because I stopped getting hit today? :smugdog:

Actually that is quite literally not what confirmation bias is. Even if it was, my question was rhetorical. Confirmation bias is when you ignore information that conflicts with your beliefs in favor of those that support it. E.g. Someone told me they buffed the Tiger. It's true, I've been bouncing way more shots than before!. And even then, that's not necessarily confirmation bias if the pattern that the person is observing is actually true (although their conclusion would still be incorrect).

All I'm doing is recognizing an anomalous pattern without any kind of prior belief (and yes, it is possible for patterns to emerge that are not imagined). Sheesh.

e: VVVV :colbert:

Subyng fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 5, 2014

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Finally got the Panzer III L. Finally, a Panzer III that is not poo poo!

Also, any tips for shaking planes off your tail? I guess it depends on what plane you have and what you're being chased by, but I'm not really experienced enough to know that stuff. For fighters I currently have an He 112 and a LaGG-3. The LaGG seems to have really poor maneuverability. Absolutely everything can out-turn me with ease and I try to avoid getting sucked into a turn fight but the moment someone starts tailing me, even as I'm zooming away, the only thing I can do is fly straight-ish and hope to fly out of range or friendlies to save me.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I'm in my t-70, centre capture point in Karelia, against a Panzer 2, 2 StuGs, and 2 Panzer 3's. I survived long enough to take out 3 of them.

feels good man

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I'd rather play RB than Arcade for planes, but I'd really like to play battles that are larger than 5v5 and also half the time I don't actually end up doing anything because my teammates have killed everything before I can even get in range so all I end up doing is flying around. Boring.

e: I've tried playing RB planes in CA for some more instant action, except I get shot down by AAA any time I try to do anything soooo

Subyng fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 8, 2014

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Perestroika posted:

the Pz. III line is generally the least painful.

loving lies. The Pz. III line is poo poo until you get to the Ausf. L in my experience. The Ausf. E and F have terrible survivability. Your crew will get knocked out/ammo burnt out/otherwise crippled if a Russian tank so much as glances in your direction. The gun is pretty good if you remember to shoot the turrets of Russian tanks, but if you're ever in a situation in which you need to trade shots, you will lose. And unless you're playing on Kursk, that's a situation that you pretty much cannot avoid (unless you're content with not actually shooting stuff).

StuG A. all the way for low tiers. People here often say that one shot to the driver's slit will kill a StuG, but that's better than the "one shot to the anywhere" of the Pz. III's. Plus, most players don't actually aim for weakspots so have fun (actually, not sarcastically) consistently bouncing Russian guns.

Also how do you take out heavy bombers? Specifically PBYs which I see everywhere.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 8, 2014

Subyng
May 4, 2013
There really needs to be a minimum number of players for a match to start. I do not want to play a 5v5. That's all it is right now outside arcade. I pretty much just quit the moment I see that it is and it's so annoying because it's such a waste of time for me to sit down, and get ready to play only to quit instantly because its a boring low population match, game after game.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
What the heck is with Russian planes being unable to glide? Every time I try to land in a Russian plane (usually due to my engine being dead) as I'm approaching the airfield, at the very last moment, the thing just nosedives into the ground. What the gently caress? I have no problems landing German planes...

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Okay, what the hell is with A20's and their ability to kill your pilot in a single volley? Literally every single time I've been behind one, my pilot gets killed with like, the first shot. And yeah, don't tail bombers, I don't try to, but that's the point. I only need to be even just passing by their tail gunner for a split second and that's all they need to snipe my pilot. Every single time.

Like, this game has so many really loving weird idiosyncrasies it's driving me crazy.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 10, 2014

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Adrian Owlsley posted:

Sorry, bomber gunners are just the stupid bullshit every fighter has to put up with.

Ya, but it's the A20 SPECIFICALLY that seems to have the ability to just snipe anyone with the first few shots. Other bombers I can deal with, but the moment I get in the rear firing arc of an A20, it's a bullet through my pilot's head.

Speaking of being sniped, I literally just got sniped by a stray bullet. Like, less than 30 seconds after entering the match, I get killed in a single shot and no enemy planes were anywhere near me. Gee loving gee.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Thank you so much for reminding me the Gundam Wing OST was a thing.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Helter Skelter posted:

It can. It's not something you really ever should be using exclusively, though. Most of the benefit is in quickly performing maneuvers that would otherwise be difficult/slow/impossible while using the mouse alone (a split-s, for example). There are other benefits aside from extreme maneuvers, but a lot of it is just something you get a feel for after a while.

Using the keyboard to control the rudder is almost always a bad idea, though.

How else would you control the rudder?

Also my understanding is that using keyboard to perform maneuvers basically allows you to apply maximum displacement to your control surfaces instantly allowing you to pitch/yaw/roll as quickly as you possibly can.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Has anyone ever tried to drop bombs on other planes in their air? I feel like it would be possible against big, slow moving targets like bombers, and would be a hilarious and ironic way to destroy them.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Doesn't work as in feasibility or the bombs simply pass through other planes/dont explode?

Subyng
May 4, 2013
ugh, the loving arbitary-ness of this game really loving gets to me sometimes. One game I'm shooting down planes with a single volleys, the next, none of my shots are connecting and enemy planes are killing me with like in less than 2 seconds of fire.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
drat, whats up with simulator tanks battles being absolutely dead? Did CA kill it or something? Is everyone too busy playing RB for CA?

Also, another great :warthunder: moment. My plane crashed into nothing. Just..."crashed" into thin air. gg.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Also what the hell is my tail gunner shooting blanks? I consistently cant hit targets that are in range and flying STRAIGHT INTO my tail gunner, for some reason the shots are just passing through my targets...

Also what is the criteria for planes having a bomb reticule in arcade, because I thought anything that has bombs equipped will have a bomb reticule, which appeared to be the case except for my BF 110 which doesn't for some reason.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Oh, so apparently you don't get kill credit if you die before the target whose wing you shot off crashes shortly after. Salt in the wound.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Is there any reason at all to fly planes that don't have cannons at tier II. Like, cannons are just straight up easy mode, why the gently caress are there even planes that DON'T have cannons

Getting frustrated with the BF 109 E-1's pitiful armament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subyng
May 4, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

I dunno, tailgunning is easy for me. I click on the plane until either I die or its wing falls off/pilot takes a nap/plane burns to bits :shrug:

In arcade it seems to be that the dive-bombers/attackers only get a reticle when diving. At least, the last time I played arcadea lot it was like that*

*so many patches ago

Well, in any case, now the bomb reticule for my BF 110 is appearing when it wasn't before. And yeah, I tried diving before and it still didn't show up, but now it does. Also, biplanes get bombsights when diving too, but my Ju 87 which is supposedly a dive bomber gets it all the time, which means in Arcade mode I can just fly at 5000m and bomb stuff without having to dive at all.

Fart Car '97 posted:

I'd take American .50s over cannons any day.

What's weird is I had no trouble with the MGs in my very first game with the BF109, but after that it was like I'm shooting blanks.

Also, what's awesome is diving on an enemy, killing him, then having the resulting chaos on screen slow your computer so much that it can't properly calculate the flight model fast enough causing you to stutter into the ground and crash (my computer is poo poo)

:thumbsup:

• Locked thread