Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Who gives a poo poo about the World Cup when game one of the Stanley Cup Finals starts on Wednesday. New York vs Los Angeles. East coast vs West coast.

It really is the best cup competition. Also it was made in Sheffield!

When you win, during the off-season everybody on the team gets one day with the cup. You can take it to your home town. You can take it fishing on a boat. You can drink from it. One guy even had his son baptised in it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/the-10-oddest-places-the-stanley-cup-has-ever-visited?urn=nhl,wp6036

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

notaspy posted:

What happens if you break or loose it?

My one fact about the Stanley cup is before a game players won't look at it as it brings bad luck.

Another good one is that if you win the Eastern or Western conference trophy (and hence, go through to the actual Stanley Cup final) you NEVER the conference trophy, as that is also bad luck and you might not win the Stanley Cup.

Not sure what happens if you break it. The cup travels with a keeper at all times and his job is to look after it. I imagine if it gets dinged they repair it. Each segment is added on over time.

Here's an interview with one of the keepers of the cup: http://www.esquire.com/blogs/news/keeper-of-stanley-cup-interview - talks about protecting it etc.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Hashtag Nascar posted:

We don't give a poo poo cause most people in the UK don't give a poo poo about yank sports, only dull middle class people do.

Awesome generalisation!

Edit: Anyway hockey is mostly a Canadian thing

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

Do you think it's inaccurate?

I don't have the data to disprove it, and if any data exists I'd like to see it. I have no idea which way it will fall. I just didn't think the generalisation was helpful.

Edit: VVV I saw the Bison play Sheffield once and they got absolutely dicked. It was hilarious.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Ktb posted:

Yeah I'm in for a fiver for charity.

Also since the Stanley Cup has been mentioned; does anyone know if GameCenter LIVE works ok in this country? If not, does anyone have any advice on the best legit way to watch it? I'm not bothered about seeing games live because of the time difference and I only have freeview.

It works ok but there are blackouts for games that are being shown on Premier Sports. You can get around that with a VPN/proxy setup. Either a browser-based one or do what I do and pay for one which is DNS based so you can use it on PS3s for things like Netflix. https://www.unblock-us.com

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Ktb posted:

Nice one, cheers! That's exactly what I was after. I've been living under the rock of postgrad study for this year's games but by autumn hopefully I will have the luxury of free time again :)

Ps you can go to reddit and get the direct URLs for the GCL streams and not pay but obviously that's :filez: so you should check your conscience first. Also you have to install some weird program to get around the authentication checks.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Jedit posted:

Formula 1 for inbred racists.

NASCAR is really fun on the shorter tracks it's like destruction derby.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Farecoal posted:

gently caress this, it should have been Canadiens (Montreal) vs. Blackhawks (Chicago) goddamnit

Agreed on the Canadiens, but gently caress Chicago.

This is a bad derail, come to SAS.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Thanks for showing my Penguins getting scored on Fluo :argh:

I'm going to start Curling with the wife now we've moved to Scotland. Anybody done it?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I find the "pah, you wear padding, that's for pussies!" kind of annoying as well. It's for safety reasons, and it's a protection of investment, and the like. Also using language like that is kind of a gender-insult, isn't it?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Does this Trojan Horse thing have legs then or what? Everyone here said it stank of racism but the story won't go away. What's going on?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Well I'd be pretty happy if all religion hosed off from schools but if it's just being used as a racist stick to beat them with then gently caress that.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

You know that thing about the homeless spikes? There's a rebuttal of sorts going around:

http://t.co/obqmSUzEhq

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

They'd have frat parties

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Are there any valid arguments against random and unannounced Ofsted inspections? I used to work at a primary school and whenever they came in we'd end up with teachers dumping stuff in their car boots so the inspectors didn't see it. (not sure what they dumped).

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Spuckuk posted:

Here's a hint, the people using those words are dickheads.

What difference does it make to them or you if the travellers/roma/sinti etc. are parked up by your work?

I think people think it leads to criminality, and so they get uppety about it.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Thanks for the replies re OFSTED. To clarify I was an IT technician so had no idea about academic issues.

Edit: Looks like we have accusations about another school now. This time in Bradford. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27779832

I hope this doesn't signify the start of a pattern. gently caress any and all religious influence in schools.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 10, 2014

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Prince John posted:

Those following the hubbub over the Islamic schools in Birmingham may find this interesting - a glimpse inside a Christian fundamentalist school and its curriculum on the Beeb.

Jonny Scaramanga from this article is on Radio 2 today with Jeremy Vine, nice chap with some horrid stories about his childhood. I met him at QED this year and he won an award for his blog where people can send in stories of their religious education horrors.

http://leavingfundamentalism.wordpress.com/

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Prince John posted:

Cool, I didn't know about QED. Is it this event?

Yes, that's it. It's really cool, depending on whether the speakers are good or not. This year wasn't the best line up but it was still entertaining. I help with the AV setup after getting involved with skeptics in the pub and stuff like that.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Wasn't Churchill a sexist and racist arsehole? My wife takes great delight in telling everybody that. Is that fair?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

HortonNash posted:

Wasn't every politician of the day?

E:Didn't Gandhi have quite a bit of hate for black people and the gays?

I have definitely heard that. Probably down to his religious beliefs? I have no idea.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I really don't want to be "that guy" but can we please leave the football out of this thread? tia :)

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Fluo posted:

Hey man! We had the Stanley cup talk from you! (By the way both the teams in the finals were arseholes, should have been redwings! :()

That's fair enough but we did it for like half a day and this is going to go on for ages :(

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

How do those naked bike rides get away with it, legally? Edinburgh had one too over the weekend. Isn't it indecent exposure or something?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Brovine posted:

Not really. Indecent exposure isn't just nudity, it's specifically sexual and intended to offend. I think.

I did wonder that. So why do they continually arrest that Naked Rambler guy?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

So what would people have done here if they were Miliband with the photo op? Honestly?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

^ that's easily the better option. Just curious!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Umiapik posted:

Also, guess which newspaper I just found THIS headline in!

:laugh: :2bong: :laugh:

What the absolute gently caress? The situation there has been nothing but good I thought? Has anything bad happened at all as a result of legalisation?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Loonytoad Quack posted:

I don't agree with "hooray some kids died in an horrific accident" but GC is absolutely right that if this was an unemployed bloke joyriding, who killed half his family because they didn't wear seatbelts and he was driving like a loon, you wouldn't be seeing nice heartfelt sympathetic campaigns featuring one of the survivors imploring people to belt up a few months later surrounded by heaps of sympathetic coverage.

The disparity is pretty sickening and it really highlights what an amazing hatchet job the press have done on the poor and disadvantaged.

Pretty much this. It's completely possible to be pissed off with the coverage in general, while simultaneously being sad that lives have been lost.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Michael Fabricant really is a horrible little man.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-27939653

quote:

MP Michael Fabricant apologises for 'punch journalist' joke

A Conservative MP has apologised for saying he might end up punching a journalist "in the throat" if he appeared on a discussion show with her.

Michael Fabricant tweeted the remark after Yasmin Alibhai-Brown took part in a Channel 4 News debate.

Ms Alibhai-Brown said she was shocked and has called on David Cameron to withdraw the party whip.

Mr Fabricant said he was wrong to joke about punching. "I, of course, withdraw and apologise," he said.

The tweet said: "I could never appear on a discussion prog with @y_alibhai I would either end up with a brain haemorrhage or by punching her in the throat."

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

There's a Steiner school near my flat. gently caress that.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Way too long to quote in full, but what do we think about this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-28002101

quote:

Axe A-levels for Bacc-style exam, say UK scientists

A-levels should be replaced by a baccalaureate-style qualification that requires teenagers to study maths and science to 18, scientists say.

A Royal Society report says too few 16-year-olds take maths and sciences to maintain a competitive economy.

The UK's national academy of science warns that UK education risks not being fit for purpose in 20 years' time.

Its report - Vision for Mathematics and Science - also calls for teachers' professional status to be boosted.

"Too many people in the UK are mathematically and scientifically illiterate," said Prof Sir Martin Taylor, chairman of the report committee.

"Science and mathematics are at the absolute heart of modern life.

"Our vision aims to raise the general level of mathematical and scientific knowledge and confidence in the population."

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

God, the process for changing the address and name on my driving licence is ridiculously difficult. I'm struggling to figure out how the hell to do it. I have a passport with my new name on and an up to date photo, but apparently I have to include a photo in with my application, even though I've given them permission to check my digital passport with IPS AND my old photocard has my photo on too (same photo)

What the hell?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Whitefish posted:

Can't you just fill out the change of address details on your paper licence? As I recall that's all I had to do when I changed my address a year or so ago. I don't remember having to send in a passport picture. I just had to send the paper copy and the card.

I'm changing my name too so no ;(

My new name is already on my passport and the photo is only a few years old and it's a digital passport

thehustler fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jun 27, 2014

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

*sigh*

I really am getting very annoyed at him saying stupid stuff like that. Very difficult to be a secularist when you have to try and defend him all the time and then realise he's sometimes indefensible.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Fluo posted:

You don't have to defend him, he isn't the leader of atheism cause there isn't one. If you feel you have to try and defend Dawkins because you're both atheist you might aswell try and defend Hitler because you are both white.

No no, it's not that I see him as some sort of figurehead (or... God... heh) - just that there is so much that he says that is actually very good and that I agree with and then he does something like that and its like it invalidates the other stuff.

Or is that a silly position to take?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Can we stop with the "Dorkins" poo poo - regardless of how much he fucks up that's irritating as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Coohoolin posted:

in case anyone takes this assclown seriously, i have previously and repeatedly expressed my disappointment with stuart campbell for his comments misgendering chelsea manning and am of the opinion he was very wrong to do so. pissflaps and anyone else following the last scotpol thread knows this, and pissflaps is merely trying to wind me up or stir up some poo poo about stuart campbell, who despite being a pretty big rear end in a top hat about chelsea manning and hillsborough runs a pretty loving good blog about media bias and mistruths RE the scottish independence referendum.

Wait Stuart Campbell's a transphobe?

As in, used-to-edit-Amiga-Power Stuart Campbell?

• Locked thread