Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Please tell me I'm not the only person watching You're the worst, it's great somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Your the Worst is a better show then Married despite the latter having a much better cast. It's way more mean-spirted then the former which is a show about horrible people falling in love.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The best part is how racially diverse the cast seem to be, because 1960's America was so into that.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Mu Zeta posted:

It's very good. I like the leads a lot more than the couple on Married. Making fun of hipsters is a little tired though.

Everyone went into Married thinking it would be the be better show based on the cast but it just isn't, it's lacking something that Your the Worst seems to nail.

Making fun of hipsters never gets tired.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Mu Zeta posted:

It's because Nat Faxon has the most punchable face on TV and they made Judy Greer play a boring character, which isn't something she's good at.

You kind of hit that one right on the head, it would also be a better show of Nat Faxon played the one who was just trying to get by and Judy Greer wanted to hang out and drink all day.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

The Nastier Nate posted:

I've been thinking the opposite. The pilot of Married was so-so (the end was fantastic though where Russ tells the obviously mentally unstable woman that the dog named after her unborn son was hit by a car) but the subsequent episodes really gave Judy Greer a chance to shine and continues in the FX tradition of showcasing the lives of average terrible people. Faxon and Greer have great chemistry as an old married couple who may be sick of each other but really are best friends and a great fit. Brett Gelmen, Jenny Slate (even Paul Reiser) are great too.

Maybe I just like Married alot more because I'm a lot closer to Russ and Lina (in my 30's, married for 5 years) then Jimmy and Gretchen but I feel like You're the Worst is the definition of trying to hard. Yes Jimmy and Gretchen are both emotionally hosed up, they hit you over the head with it non-stop. I like You're the Worst, but it doesn't resonate as much with me as Married does.

I also have a distaste for relationship shows that start off on day 1. They always try to show fake conflict where the lead couple might break up - except you know they won't because that's literally the base of the show. On Married, Russ and Lina's relationship surviving isn't an issue, we know they aren't going to get divorced (unless it's a series finale) so other ideas are explored with real potential consequences.

I don't think Faxon and Greer have great chemistry as characters. Both are great when apart but they don't seem to like each other that much and as characters are better when they are apart. Maybe if there was some spark to why they loved each other but it seems to be missing.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Irish Joe posted:

So I watched the first three episodes of Garfunkle and Oates, and here's a quick rundown on why its awful:

1) There are no jokes.

There are no set-ups and punchlines. The characters don't say witty things, make humorous observations or reference shared cultural touchstones in funny ways. All the humor in the show comes from things happening around and to the main characters, but while that would be funny in a show like Curb Your Enthusiasm or Louie, its not in Garfield and Oats because,

2) The protagonists are too passive.

When something bad happens to Larry David in Curb Your Enthusiasm, its a direct result of his earlier actions. Larry David drives the action of his show. He has goals, objectives and a viewpoint, and reacts appropriately when things don't go his way. In Garfeld and Oaks, the characters don't react to anything. They don't express opinions. The don't have goals, objectives or viewpoints of their own. In one of the episodes, Oaks dresses is forced to dress like a slut to get a part in a Hollywood movie. She's ugly and mousy and clearly doesn't look the part. Its a funny premise, but because she doesn't react at all to what's happening to her, all the humor is drained out of it. She quietly stands around while Natasha Leggero dresses her in a ridiculous outfit. She stays stonefaced throughout her disastrous audition with a famous movie star. And, finally, she doesn't react at all to being thrown out of a toy store after being mistaken for a whore. At no point do we learn what she's thinking, how she's feeling or have any understanding why she's doing this except "its a tv show."

3) The songs are terrible.

I understand the appeal ukelele parody songs have to a generation raised on My Little Pony, but as an older adult, they're really off-putting. Even if the lyrics were incredibly funny and clever (they're not), they're still ostensibly singing children's songs. The dirty Sesame Street thing is a one-note joke (not to mention old hat), and Garbled and Oafs are running it straight into the ground.

I haven't even touched how twee the show is, but I think that goes without saying. When its all said and done, Garmel and Ogl is an awful show and I hope I this warning saves y'all an hour of your lives.

This show is pretty horrible, but it did lead to some woman on twitter getting into a slapfight with David Sims yesterday because the AVClub doesn't review it all social justice style.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I think I have officially gotten old because I had no idea what either of those youtube channels are and I'm ok with that.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
This was the best episode of Married by far mostly because Paul Reiser and that's not something I ever thought I would say. He just seems to add a gel to the cast that it was lacking before.

Your the Worst is still the better show, plus the best depiction of one night stands on tv and the self-loathing that generally comes with it. Plus a better depiction of a marriage that's failing then even Married. My only problem is I've never meet a woman that's that ok with fetishes that quickly.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I still can't believe more people like Married more then You're the Worst but to each there own. Edgar has to be hosed up to give Jimmy a redeming item in his life, "I loving hate everyone but I'm semi-looking after my PTSD/drug addict friend". They are trying to change that by having Edgar and Lindsay sleep together at some point in the series.

*edit*

It follows the Friends to Coupling arc of trying to make shows more realistic.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

DrVenkman posted:

It fits the some wheelhouse as Person of Interest for me. It throws caution to the wind and instead of pulling back just keeps going. It does falter though and the show still has no idea what to do with Laurel. Their reluctance to kill her off made me think they were building to something with her but...no. Just be prepared to get through some soap opera tedium before a really good run of Season 2 episodes.

Laurel is a CW soup holdover at this point from before DC took more active involvement in the shows direction.

If you can get beyond the CW soapness of the first season its great

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

precision posted:

Wayne Coyne is having threesomes with Miley Cyrus, Cee-Lo is a rapist, what's next, news that the British music industry has covered up decades of cases of Morrissey banging altar boys?

Morrissey only observes the altar boys as they frolic then goes and rights a song about how sad it is he can't frolic with them.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

lelandjs posted:

Oooh, you altar boys
All dancing in the playground
With your dirty shoes and smiling faces

Oooh I, I don't ever think
That I could be happy like that
Frolicking in their robes as my soul gets even heavier

And God, God doesn't care
That I have some laundry to do and a cross to bear
No, God doesn't even care
That the altar boys, they taunt me with their frolics

That's too happy, you most be more depressed and vegan.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

zoux posted:

It's been getting pretty good buzz.

Oh and apparently DC is pitching a Supergirl series.

DC does realize that their parent company owns a TV network right?

I know Gotham and Constantine are both on other networks but try for some vertical integration Warner Brothers.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Ursus Veritas posted:

As the only person who hates themselves enough to have watched all of Criminal Minds I'd say it would be worth watching two episodes from season four, "Normal" and "The Big Wheel" featuring The X-Files' Mitch Pileggi and Hawaii Five-O's resident punchy buff man Alex O'Loughlin respectively. They're basically the best episodes of the series because not at all surprisingly they attempt to humanize the killer of the week something Criminal Minds never really does outside of these episodes (but when they do they're always victims of some sort of childhood sexual trauma... Writing!). If you're feeling especially brave you could track down the Reaper episodes which are also pretty okay but they're spread out over two or three seasons and that's a lot of effort just to see C. Thomas Howell evil it up (the first is season four's "Omnivore" if you're interested).

Criminal Minds is a great loving veg out and watch some people die horribly show, at this point it's almost to be a B-grade 80's horror movie with how loving crazy it's become. If you watch it that way it's a great show about crazy poo poo.

The best killer is the guy from the first season that caused Mandy Patinkin quit the show because it was already so hosed up.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Kurtofan posted:

What was it?

It was the only played by Keith Carridine.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

DrVenkman posted:

Man. Joe Mantengea is much better than Criminal Minds. Get him a really meaty role on HBO or something.

He and Thomas Gibson make something like half a mil an episode, which should explain why they both stick around. The female cast makes about 100k a year which is why they always leave.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Sober posted:

Hahah what the hell.

Aren't there a bunch of female writers on CM as well last I heard?

Cm has a gently caress up pay scale, The girl who plays JJ and the girl who plays Penelope both threatened to quit last year because they only got paid half what the male co-stars made (the girl who plays JJ was fired when they hired Joe Mantengea for cost reasons). Till the recent wave of pay raises Gibson and Mantengea where among the highest paid actors on TV. I was also wrong as Gibson only makes 250k an episode.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
You're the Worst had it's single best episode last night, it's so far beyond Married in terms of quality it isn't even funny. They way Gretchen's face moved in the ring scene was good, They way Lindsay died inside every second of the day because she hosed up her marriage and she knows it was amazing.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Lugaloco posted:

The one thing I feel You're The Worst needs to change/improve is the veteran roommate. Lindsay, Edgar's counterpart in terms of their supporting roles, is a far more entertaining and interesting character.

Edgar exists in between being a real character and being the writers prop to prove Jimmy isn't a complete douche. Even though the moment where Jimmy after getting his heart destroyed says to Edgar, we'll go tomorrow to the VA to get your meds was a real person moment.

No one's sure about its renewal bit a bunch of TV critics coming to like it can't hurt.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Irish Joe posted:

Its kinda sad that the Teen Choice Awards are handing out trophies for shows that haven't aired yet, based on nothing but trailers and advertising jargon.

I"m pretty sure it's based on the pre-air screens which pretty much all critics have at this point.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

drunkill posted:

Hey, can I get a mod to edit the Danger 5 thread title? Please remove [Returns October] because well, the series has been delayed because of ISIS. No really.

Maybe change those brackets to be [Delayed] or something.

How the gently caress is this a show and why have I never seen it before

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
You're the Worst was not as fun as last week but still climbed above most tv shows due to it's lovely on Becca, Lindsay wanting to get hosed by everyone with a dick because they both know they married the wrong person. The facial expressions on this show sell pretty much every emotional moment.

I am also Paul.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Is anyone else watching the Roosevelt's on PBS, it's the best Ken Burns documentary in years.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

IRQ posted:

I started it, it's pretty good stuff.

You can also watch the whole thing streaming on PBS for if your bored at work.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Toxxupation posted:

American Gods is a mediocre at best novel

The idea of American Gods is great, everything else about it sucks.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I shouldn't be surprised because it's Burns and Burns rocks, but was pleasantly surprised so see it so even-handed to the extent that Teddy comes off as a right rear end in a top hat.

Had to work late tonight and was pissed that I'd be missing FDR getting polio (Guillan-Bairre or whatever the newest diagnosis is) but then saw that there were more parts to it than I thought.

It's also making me look back and remember just how big of a mess Hyde Park on Hudson was.

The last few Burns major docus haven't been as good as some of his early ones. This one is really even handed and even goes into how different people view the FDR in history.

Hyde Park on the Hudson is one of the biggest wastes of an idea.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

zoux posted:

What was the last huge Burns documentary, The War?

The War, and he got killed for that one.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

zoux posted:

In terms of effort or critics?

Critics, he also got blasted as he glossed over every other country on the planet fight the war.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

hcreight posted:

Hard to say with FX. Critical buzz might be enough to get it another season. Tyrant got neither good reviews nor particularly good ratings and got renewed today.

The fact it's the only show on FX to get critical buzz in years means it might get renewed.

That says it better get renewed or I"m going to cut someone. There is no better show on tv about the horrors of relationships and going for your ideal of perfection and failing then You're the Worst. It even showed the horror of what moving in with someone you love is like and the fear of failure in that (Jimmy and Gretchan's fear at the end of the episode as they unpack the car). No other show has ever owned that the same way (I'm sure someone here that watches more TV then I do will have another show like it) more then Lindsay and Paul who both married the ideal mate in their heads then hated the real marriage.

gently caress is it a good show.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

bobkatt013 posted:

Archer, Justified, and Americans don't get critical buzz?

I completely forgot Archer and the Americans are on FX.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Jack Skeleton posted:

I love that exchange where the rappers talk about their normal clothing, you know, what they wear to the farmer's market.

It's really such an amazing show. I hope it gets another season.

That was an awesome moment. Or when Jimmy meets them at the movies at the black movie theater because he likes to yell at the screen like when they go to Glendale to watch serious movies.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Bown posted:

Farrell and Vaughn is definitely not as exciting as Harrelson and McConaughey. Farrell is fine but has never been particularly noteworthy in anything, and Vaughn is....well yeah.

Farrell is good when he tries and isn't on coke or maybe just the right level of coke. Either way it may be a horrible trainwreak.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

raditts posted:

Either that or you just have to have one of those voices that everyone wants, like Keith David. Kristen Schaal seems to work the same way, but she's pretty much a cartoon character in real life.

That doesn't account for Jon Benjamin though, he's like the most low-effort voice actor I've ever heard. It worked for Dr. Katz and Home Movies but for everything else it just sounds like "Jon Benjamin's voice coming out of this person for some reason."

Archer does a joke about this in on a DVD about how if Archer looked like Jon Benjamin he wouldn't get any work.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

raditts posted:

Wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see that on CMT in a few years.

I'm pretty sure it's already running on CMT

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Cardboard Box A posted:

This season opener was pretty boring/average but the new detective was kind of (unintentionally?) hilarious.

Last season had a recurring antagonist (actually from the previous previous season finale) who repeatedly escaped from prison or sentencing to kidnap Benson. That was really awful.

Nah, Spider-Man ages worse than X-Men because of the copious use of CGI. Also the opening song is even more painfully 90s than X-Men's.

Yes, second seasons of Iron Man and Fantastic Four were fantastic. You can tell they just completely overhauled the creative staff.

The Iron Man cartoon had the best opening theme song.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

smg77 posted:

It was really fantastic. I loved how they were able to effortlessly balance the huge impact the Roosevelts had on history while making their private lives just as compelling. It's probably Burns' best documentary.

Its not as good as baseball, the only documentary that made me spend 20 hours on a sport I hate.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Josh Lyman posted:

2nd episode of Madam Secretary only got a 1.4 but did have 12.72 million viewers. I wonder if CBS will hold onto it if a lot of those are older, wealthy viewers.

The only thing on TV that is watched by wealthy people from start to finish is golf.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Apparently renowned world diplomat Jeremy Clarkson managed to offend yet another entire country by running around Argentina with cars that had license plates making references to the Falkland Wars, is literally run off the country by stoning.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-29474422

Edit: local news adds that besides the one mentioned in the article, one of the other cars had a license plate that just happened to have the exact number of argentinean soldiers killed during the war.

This may be infact be the single greatest and weirdest international incident since the War of Jerkin's ear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

James Woods Fan posted:

Also the trailer for the stupendously awful looking Powers adaptation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P02QmncDOzM

It's not as bad as it could be given it is written by Bendis maybe the worst comic author working today.

• Locked thread