Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
I'm playing diablo III on PS3 and I've never completed a game to 100%, so I figured I'd give it a try after getting all the hardcore ones. One of my favorite things about the game are the followers dialogs. In order to get all the character cheevos, you need to get two level sixty toons from each class, so I have all five classes in male and female, hardcore and normal mode.

Not only is the dialogue from each class different with each follower, it's also different based on the gender of your class. Best conversations are hands down between the female witch doctor and the enchantress.

I suppose the downside is I have plenty of time to hear all the dialogue, as you have to beat the game 27 times in order to get the 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

bitterandtwisted posted:

What triggered getting a nemesis anyway? It wasn't until I was recruiting my last warchiefs that one guy started coming back again and again and by this point I was super powerful and killed him easily about five times in rapid succession before mind controling him. Kinda disappointing. I also spent way too long handpicking the best orcs to promote to the top when there were only a couple of short battles and I don't think any of my guys died.

The trick is to suck at the game. I hadn't played a similar combat game to SoM, (no assassins creed or batman or whatnot) so the first few bosses killed me a lot. I got to where ten bosses were higher lvl then me before I could fight. After that I had a blast hunting them down, some over and over while they hunted me.

I think there may have been more game somewhere, but for me it was just a fun month of cat and mouse. I would love to see it in more games.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I just got Elder Scrolls: Online for the PS4.

I noticed that when you go into your inventory, your character is rummaging in their bag. If you're looking at your map so is your character, and if you're looking at skills they're reading a book.

Not only is it neat that they put in emotes that lets everyone around know your doing character stuff, but that there are separate emotes for what you do.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I just started playing Wasteland 2 since it came out on consoles. It perfectly hits the old-school sweet spot of old RPG's, complete with complicated skill trees, useless perks, tactics, and goofy humor. So far I walked out of the base, and got a distress call from two camps. One is being attacked by the plants they were growing, the other by raiders. You are clearly told you cant help both. one location makes food for the area, the other produces clean water.
I go for the raiders, and as you progress through the mission you keep getting radio calls from the poor mutant plant people culminating in themtelling you not to come anymore, everyone is dead and the radio room is about to be overrun.
Its nice to have a hard choice that's "save the food or water, you cant do both" instead of the usual "blow up a crate of puppies or save a schoolhouse on fire, you cant do both."

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Kanfy posted:

I had played the original version for a bit but dropped it once DC was announced. I picked it up again now that it came out and picked AG Center instead of Highpool this time around and it's pretty cool to see how completely different going through the place is. There's a whole bunch of cool and weird people in there and I met almost none of them in my first playthrough because things went real south while I was elsewhere.

Incidentally if you do AG Center first, the last you call get from Highpool is a raider woman going something along the lines of "This place belongs to us now motherfuckers! Smash this radio, TIME TO PARTY!!" which was at least less depressing than "Everybody's been devoured by mutant plants." Plus the NPC recruit you get from there is a semi-crazy 67-year-old scientist lady with a mechanical arm (and 10 Intelligence!) which is way rad.

On a more topical note my favorite little easter egg from Wasteland 2 (which takes place in post-apocalyptic Arizona) is this hidden item cache you can find in the desert:

That's awesome, I'm really looking forward to multiple playings just because of little (and big) things like that. It looks like its got a decent tactical game under the hood too, so I'll crank up the difficulty after finishing it.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I got to the castle fight in FO4.I was waaaay too low level (eight I think,) but was able to kill it.

I had the crit bar full, and then I knew I was in trouble when I got a crit shot with a fatman, and only did 1/3 damage to it. After rockets were gone I threw all my grenades, Took every drug I had (Med-X, psycho, jet, buffout, booze,) and ran up and killed it with a tire-iron axe.

That moment alone made the game worth buying, it was a great boss-fight.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I got the distress call from the police station. I save the quickly dying Brotherhood of Steel, then they talk down to me. I exercise the only option I have, which is no, and instead go back to helping the minutemen.

Now I have artillery, HO HO HO

(now I need to get the parts to add them to ALL my settlements, woo hoo!)

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I've become obsessed with artillery. What's great (and I might be wrong) is the given range seems to be the same as the beacon signal for any given settlement, so if you can hear them they can shell for you.

It's not very useful and very location specific. But man, I love finding the perfect location; tossing the smoke; and watching as the bad guys "investigate" only to be blown into the next zip code. I swear it Launches body parts further then the fatman.

It's awesome trying to find a body part Bigger than a postage stamp so I can loot them.

Artillery ALONE is the reason to find every settlement. I'm trying to avoid spoilers, I've gotten ten so far.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I can't stop using artillery. I hate bloatflies, took out a nest with artillery. I hit a stag the other day with artillery.

I basically have spent what little time I have to play going to each settlement, upgrading it enough to support an artillery piece, then I shell everything around it till I run out of range.

I then raid the insides of whatever camp that just got shelled out of existence so I can get more supplies, in order to build more artillery.

I have 15 settlements so far. The commonwealth will grow in size and protection with giant gently caress-off cannons protecting them from everything. The rest of the game can be total poo poo, but this is like the best kind of sniping you can do in any game ever. It's extra fun with super mutants, they head toward the smoke, wide-eyed in wonder at what the hell it is.

Also melee is extremely fun once you get the disarm perk and learn the fight patterns of the different enemies. Lot's of fun going toe to toe against a foe in power armor with a power fist, and all I have is a serrated Chinese officer sword and my general's uniform on.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

RaspberryCommie posted:

This is how I learned that mobs will pick up better weapons that their friends drop.

I had to clear out an outpost full of raiders once. It was being led by a guy in power armor with a fat man. I had a gauss rifle so I crouched down and blasted his head off. This alerted his buddies which I couldn't see at the moment because I was on a hill.

I repositioned myself and set up to take another shot, only to see a mini-nuke growing steadily larger in my scope.

I kept laughing as every approach of mine failed. I'd try a new position and weapon, take a shot and then hear the whistle! I had the misfortune of both him and a legendary raider at the same locale.
I'm mostly melee, so I tried running in and I'd disarm him, and the other rear end in a top hat would grab the fatman and shoot it point blank.

I finally decided to port to the nearest settlement, upgrade it to carry artillery, and just shelled them from a distance. The first round that came in caused him to yell "gently caress!" and he started popping off nukes in random directions. What an awesome fight!

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
The ending of the last of us was one of the few game endings that completely ruined the entire experience for me. I'm actually in awe at the game developers for coming up with such a horrific car accident of an ending. With hind sight I feel like it's one of the greatest game trolls ever.

On topic in Diablo III in the adventure rifts they randomly have the last of us maps, complete with zombies, clickers, and the bloated guys. It's very cathartic to blast through them as quickly as possible and get to pretty much any content that isn't related to the last of us.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I was finally able to get master level on all 24 set dungeons in Diablo III.

The only things you get for doing set dungeons are cosmetic items and challenges completed. Each class has a basic green pendant (a back banner) for completing one primary goal and killing the initial batch of monsters in all four set dungeons. If you complete all primary goals and kill every monster in the set dungeon within a time limit on all four sets, you get a custom pendant for the class.

If you get the basics done for all 24 set dungeons, you get a pair of green wings, similar to the free red ones from pre-order.

If you get mastery in all 24 set dungeons, you get a gigantic set of green dragon wings. They are huge, and flap. (And I mean ridiculously huge.) On top of that, you can equip them and put them back in the storage chest so they don't even take up space on our character, and you can have multiple characters equip them at the same time. You can wear them with the pendants, and let everyone know in multiplayer that you have entirely too much free time and patience.

It was just neat to get an item that's really visually different from anything else in the game. (The set dungeons are all trolls, plus you need a ton of unique gear in addition to the six set pieces for each dungeon.)

Still not sure I can say it was worth it, but at least the reward was cool!

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I bought this stupid game called "Siralim" on a lark, it was part of a flash sale on PS4. It's basically a 8-bit JRPG with absolutely no plot. you go into random generated dungeons, fight poo poo, and see how far you can get. Instead of finding new towns for equipment, you upgrade your castle to add more poo poo you can buy and make. Combat is fought using Pokemon-like creatures, which you have to catch as you fight. Each creature has a special ability, that really keeps combat fresh both in your group composition, and when fighting groups of enemies. If you are going to have a game that is only combat and nothing else, the combat had better be good!

The little thing I love is the game removes every pain in the rear end most older JRPGs have. I usually find these games a slog, but not here.
All creatures get XP regardless if they die in combat or not.
All creatures fully heal and lose debuffs after every fight.
you have full control of how difficult the game is. when you start, the teleporter takes you to level one, and you simply clear the dungeon and go to level 2. the levels are exponentially harder, so its never boring. eventually you unlock the ability to just go to the difficulty you want.
new creatures start at level one, but XP is scaled so they quickly catch up to your regular group, making trying new creatures easy.
at any time you can warp back to your castle to make or modify gear, make new creatures, or complete castle quests. You then warp back to the exact point in the dungeon you were at.
If your party wipes, you just port back to the castle, with no real repercussions.
fights are fast, and can be made even faster my turning on turbo mode. hell, if a fight goes on to long a message lets you know all creatures are tired, and damage will be increased.
It starts with just a few maps, but you quickly unlock eight different environments, which also effect combat. (realm of death randomly brings creatures back to life for example.)
The game is beyond crunchy, with building synergy and combos between both your creatures and the items they use. eventually the creatures and the one item they can equip gain multiple abilities.
If all that wasn't enough, your main avatar (who isn't really on the battlefield, but has many skills to buff/harm creatures) levels up, and can spend points on themselves, perks, and creatures all of which again change how fights flow.

Ive only scratched the surface of this stupid game, I cant believe I've already played it for 7 hours. There's a lot more I haven't unlocked in the game, and everything really builds on itself in a very organic way. best 4 bucks I spent, I'll probably wind up getting it on my phone. (Its on everything. PS4, Vita, Windows, Mac, IoS, Linux, Android. not sure about XBOX.)

Sorry if this sounds like a sales pitch, It's just refreshing to buy something that looks like shovelware and turns out to be well made.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Geokinesis posted:

Before you get it on another platform there is a now released Siralim 2.
http://www.siralim2.com/

Definitely improved, creature fusing, better magic and much more interesting perks! (Also more monsters, crafting, more everything really.)

I should not be as excited for this as I am, stupid game. Thanks for the heads up! I'll have to wait for it to come out for IOS or PS4, I don't really play on the PC.
(though I suppose even my crappy computer could run this, haha.)

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm not sure if anyone ever played old platformer Vexx on the ps2 but while the story is poorly presented garbage, the charm comes from the gameplay. It doesn't so much have a difficulty curve as it starts off tricky then gets plain hard fairly quickly. It's like the games going "Oh, you think you can platform? Mario 64? Jak and Daxter?! Cute... i'll show you platforming! First level - Finicky jumps on floating rocks and hidden jumping puzzle tower that's long and hard! Second level - Underwater LABYRINTH Fucker! Plus a secret entrance from aforementioned tower to an identical but harder tower. Good luck!"

Also the fourth level is basically the best - platforming in a giant living room, manipulating a game of breakout while balancing on the analog stick that controls it, jumping into the piano for an incredibly difficult platforming section on music notes, staves, and instruments, and collecting the equivalent of the 8 red coins (6 bottles) on a swaying chandelier, with each branch containing one bottle. All really hard but also really fun.

Apparently the level after this is a difficulty spike but I'm enjoying what I've seen so far.

Every level in Vexx is simply a tutorial for the last level and final boss. The game teaches you an insane skill set, and the the last level tests that.

Good luck!

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

You can pet the mouse with the controller and she responds :kimchi:

Moss is the one VR game I’m really looking forward to. The demo is just amazing.
My little moment with it was realizing that I could lean forward quite a bit sticking my head into the game, and look down the corridor of the first dungeon. From the normal vantage you can’t see that far, and a wall blocks your sight. It was kinda mind-blowing when I realized I could “peek” down the hall through a hole in the wall.

I think with most VR games the motion sickness is going to be a limiter, so static games are probably going to help it gain a foothold. I love the thought of a Dark Souls in VR in the gameplay-style of Moss.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
In Rage 2, all of the random pickups glow really brightly and in a way thats different from any other lighting effects, but only if you can currently pick them up.

For example if you are full on shotgun shells then the shotgun shells don’t shine, but if you can fit a box in inventory, they do shine. All ammo, grenades, health packs, etc. do this.

The firefights are frantic messes that can go on for minutes, and everything in the game encourages constant movement. Because items only glow when you need it, you can easily and constantly see where you need to circle around to when low on ammo.

All the combat in the game is really tight as expected from an ID product, but throughout the game thats been the noticeable little thing that I’ve really come to appreciate.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I bought Inquisitor: Martyr cause it was on sale for 15 bux and figured i could kill a few hours with a Diablo-clone.

Im to about 20th lvl, and so far its hit a lot of the right notes. Skills are attached to weapons, and its been fun trying all the combos. The beginning game is top-notch, you really have to use tactics. There will be trench lines with heavy weapons and a frontal assault insta-gibs you. You have to find another route, chain-pull, and mix shields or grenades to break the line. Champions and bosses require a lot of stick and move. Im playing a gunner, cant wait to try out some of the melee classes.

Only issue is I keep playing the harder missions, and the older missions turn into cake-walks, so I’m just skipping them and staying on the bleeding edge.

I really feel like the developers tried to find ways to make a Diablo-clone as different as possible. If this game had hard-core it would be a contender for my GOTY.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Len posted:

Couldn't you just reroll whenever you die if you want that experience?

Well I suppose, but it would have that experience of dealing with rage when you go LD or pick the wrong fight and lose a 100+ hour toon, haha.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I recently started playing FFXIV, and it is decent so far.

Two things I found really neat are:

You can rank up in one of three Grand Companies, and NPC’s will address you by your current rank.

You have the option of no visible helmet like a lot of RPGs, but this game also has an option for visor up/visor down for most closed helmets. I figured out the other day that if your hat has an eyepiece (like a monocle or eyepatch,) the visor up/visor down option works on it, so you can choose to have the eyepatch/glasses or not.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just as a general FYI, A Real Reborn isn't the metric to judge FFXIV by It's not bad for what it is, but hold your judgement til you get into the lead-in to Heavensward and the expansions proper (ie; About the time the English voice actors change due to a switch in dubbing studios). The expansions, where they weren't constantly on the back-foot trying to un-gently caress the mess that was FFXIV initially, are where it gets legitimately great.

Lol, I learned my lesson to NEVER discuss the story. I held in till the post-missions of Heavensword, then started skipping all the cutscenes. Somehow came up in guild chat, and I accidentally shared some thoughts on mechanics and plot I hated in my FC. Wound up having to leave the FC, peeps take that poo poo super serious. Now I have a new FC, and keep any disparaging comments to myself!

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

flatluigi posted:

I started playing at the end of 2021 and shadowbringers/endwalker were very much worth the time I spent on the game, for what it's worth, and like I said in my effortpost I think the journey is worth it. never going to blame anyone for not feeling the vibes of the game, just a little grumpy at dumping on something you're actively skipping

I get that, i started skipping for personal reasons. Lolorito is the reason I stopped watching.

He even tried messing up my culinary quests!

The story just leans into betrayal constantly, to the point where I felt I couldn’t trust anyone, which makes the story not fun. I read some plot synopsis for future expansions, which confirmed you just keep getting used, and I don’t like stories like that. At no point did I feel like I was winning, or a hero or anything like that. (Well, early ARR had some good hero stuff, but then it switch to just trying to keep up with the lies.)

Keep in mind, thats just my opinion of the MSQ. I love the world and the setting, and the job and side quests are all great and varied. (I have 23 classes to 50, I think?) my rule of thumb is all the stories below the power scale of Primals rule.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is what happens when you skip cutscenes and browse summaries. A BIG part of the later expansions are built on recognizing that you are the Hero of Light, Total Badass, Unstoppable poo poo-Kicker, and Hero of Eorzea.

Especially Shadowbringers.

Oh cool! So Lolorito, who used and abused both you AND your friends gets his? You get to fight him, and everyone sees who he is? He gets exposed as the power behind the throne and properly punished?

Im just explaining what my issue is, and I figured if the story didn’t work for me in ARR, the 100+ missions post-ARR, and all of Heavensword didn’t grab me, that I don’t have faith in the writers writing a story that I like.

I 100% understand that its for personal reasons it didn’t land with me, and I am happy and jealous of those who get to fully enjoy the MSQ. Only thing I got out of the deal was Stormblood only took like, two days of playing once I started skipping errything.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

flatluigi posted:

are you going to be happy if I say 'yes, and part of that was in the bits of stormblood you skipped'

For sure. I understand he’s very handsome too, haha.

Seriously, I do love the game. Its great! crafting is a joy, POTD rules, and of course the endless train of mounts/minions/fashion.

It does what I want from an MMO spectacularly. Another little thing, I love its cross play and I can play on both console and PC. (Tho fair warning you do have to but it twice to do that.)

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I’ve been playing Elex through again before playing the second one.The game does a few things I really like.

They have different recipes for the same potions that use different types of materials, thus expanding how many you can make as the game progresses.

Unlimited inventory organized by type so things are easy to find if you are a hoarder.

Quest items are clearly marked and can’t be sold or destroyed, which is nice if you find a unique quest item before you have the quest. (Vs. Unique items that sell for $$$)

Early on they give you a central town with most common items you need easy to get to from the teleport pad. Things like all your followers, a shop that sells almost everything, and a bed thats easy to get to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I just got the best little things in games ever! I bought Chronos: Before the Ashes because it was on sale for under ten bux. It looked like another Dark Souls clone; ok by me, they are usually worth it for at the cheap price point. I start playing, and I just know the controls and parry/dodge timing like I had played it before. I also recognize the character, and then something clicks when I get to a computer that mentions The Sleeper.

HOLY poo poo THIS IS THE SAME WORLD AS REMNANT: FROM THE ASHES.

I had no Idea! I literally googled the company and saw they made Remnant, then googled that and come to find out this game is a prequel of some sort. I stopped reading because I didn’t wanna spoil anything, but I was so excited!

Y’all, for me this was like buying a bargain-bin game hoping it would be fun for just a few hours to justify its price, and then finding out its like, a Zelda game or something you never heard about.

Gonna whoop some Root rear end all weekend, which will probably turn into more Remnant playing that I had wanted to do anyways in preparation for the sequel coming out, which will roll into actually buying and playing the sequel.