Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

pentyne posted:

And the token future Final Fantasy poster.

Something I learned according to the creators' commentary: the word "Fantasy" would not fit behind that character's head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007

SevenSocks posted:

Sad little thing I discovered by accident.

Watch Dogs 2 is a game with a fair amount of watching and a decent amount of dogs. Sometimes random civilians will be walking their friendly, petable dogs through the bay area. Sometimes there are casualties. What was surprising for me to find out is that if the dog owner happens to die but the dog doesn't, they actually gave the dog an AI package to lay down and cry by their broken, dead body.

Hang in there little fella.

What happens when the dog is hit, but the human is unhurt?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Ashsaber posted:

Playing through the Fallout New Vegas DLCs again, and while I could post 'the entirety of Old World Blues, instead I would like to point out something from Dead Money. Dead Money tries to be a survival horror style experience in the Fallout engine, with limited weapon selection, ammo and supplies in general after stripping you of your usual gear. All enemies are only able to be killed by crippling a limb, if you don't they get up again, if you do they die even if they have like half their health left, and the guns you get aren't that great for crippling. However there is an easy mode in the form of the unarmed skill, if you've got over 75. At that point you get a special move in VATS (if you didn't know it stops time, pick out your shots with percentages to hit, let the shots happen), the Hook, which does additional limb damage. Combined with the only unarmed weapon you find (on ever third or fourth enemy), the Bear Trap Fist, which also does bonus limb damage, you can typically oneshot the enemies.

So while gun users desperately try to shoot off a single arm, and explosive users can find maybe 30 explosives for the entire DLC, fist users just get to laugh as they stomp all over everything.

Replaying F:NV last, I was amazed again by how fiction could be used to tell (interactively, too) a fantastical story that is meaningful to people living at the time. What was lost along the road to Fallout 4?

Caufman
May 7, 2007
This I know, but surely the knowledge that your story should matter is something that can be transferred from developer to developer as it can from person to person, right?

No? I see.

Now I understand why some wonder why God damns us all.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Internet Wizard posted:

The desire to tell a good story does not always correlate with the ability to tell a good story.

I guess they did improve between 3 and 4. The Commonwealth was more relatable than the Capitol Wasteland. 3's setting tried silliness, and only sometimes landed. 4's setting had more heart.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
It's about posting the little things. I'm actually curious as to what brought 4's story/play up and down. I thought that by showing more attention to the towns and factions and encounters, 4 made me care about the main questline better than 3 did.

I also did not see the twist about the PC's son before hand, and that was an interesting conflict to set up if Nick or Nora was not into the Institute's ways.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I won't post much on it because you're right, but in brief: You know how the big thing everyone likes about Bethesda's games is that they're so open that you can play any character you want, and it's never an incorrect interpretation or direction to take the character?

Now, remember how your Fallout 4 protagonist is explicitly a straight married parent looking for your child, a fact that you get railroaded into expressing directly more times than I could count (and I actually was counting) in a dialog system that's even more restrictive than modern Bioware?

Ah, I see more clearly what you mean. Like 4 had less freedom for the player to decide (in the game or in their interpretation) the defining characteristics of the PC.

That's true. I did find that 4's parent in search of their biological son was more compellingly done than 3's child in search of their biological dad. But 4 made more explicit assumptions about your player character, tru

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Surely that's just until the mod community steps in, right?

Caufman
May 7, 2007
It's not a myth. But the effect is heavily placebo.

It's not that the camera shakes any less, it's that you've steeled your nerves by looking like a badass in a video game.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I am really and truly grateful for Skip Cutscene and Skip Gameplay buttons/options. There are just parts and scenes I just prefer to pass, especially when it's not my first time around.

If you make a game and include these, thank you, thank you, God bless you.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
For a third person game, GTA V has the smartest walk-run-sprint toggles I've found. Press shift to toggle between walk/run, hold it down to sprint. Simple and effective for keyboard and mouse players.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

The last controller I touched* was for the SNES, and you're not about to get me to change now.

*not really

Caufman
May 7, 2007
First persons will be the last genre I'll play with a controller. You folks who can aim with a control stick, that's just a skill I cannot imagine picking up now.

Maybe it's not so bad in Skyrim where you're not trying to hitscan a distant and moving target, though?

Caufman
May 7, 2007
What about a hybrid third and first person shooter, like Sniper Elite? A scope feels very natural on a mouse.

My college friend played console FPS with an inverted y-axis. It does not feel natural when he passes the controller.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

Mad Max is pretty good. I'm enjoying how Chumbucket automatically hops out of the car to repair it when I park.

I've seen some complaints about the combat, but I'm enjoying it so far, mostly because Max occasionally suplexes and body slams dudes.

It's also one of the prettiest open world car games I've played.

Sometimes the modern human just needs to chill out and drive along the plains of silence.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

I do like how it can get oddly serene, and then Chum is yelling at me about a sniper or something.

When Griffa tells Max, "That which is broken can be mended by love only," I was stunned the first time I watched that. Things started making more sense in my life. I went through the same transformation as Max, though with way fewer suplexes.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

The drone and jumper in Watch Dogs 2 are ruining all other open world games for me more than the entirety of Breath of the Wild. Especially coming off Mafia III. I'm making it my personal goal in this game to get out of the car as little as possible.

You can launch a drone without leaving the car?? That is a game changer, but I can't say why.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
The best part of Mad Max is Griffa, the mystic who is actually teaching the player as much as he teaches Max.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Do you have any other tips for poo poo I'm doing wrong in my life (in video games?)

I just learned this month that you can launch your drones from inside a car in Watch Dogs 2.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Now that Afghanistan is back in the American news cycles, whenever I hear that country's name, I can't help but remember Kiefer Sutherland's tar and gravel voice going, "Afghanistan?" from the end of the prologue of Phantom Pain.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Splinter Cell Blacklist had a bad case of lacking-Michael-Ironside. drat near killed it, in my o.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

While he plays a lot of villains in TV and movies Ironside is a pacifist in real life. So he really wasn't happy that Conviction turned the series into more of a shooter.

Oh, no one explained to him that Sam Fisher is actually the villain of the Splinter Cell series?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Perestroika posted:

K&L also had a really interesting multiplayer mode, and to this day I wish it would have been attached to a better game or had otherwise taken off. Basically, it's a pseudo co-op deal where all players are a crime squad going on a series heists together against NPC cops and security. You go in guns blazing, stuff your bags with money (the longer you stay the more money you get) and then try to make it to a getaway car.

By default, all players who make it to the getaway car pool all the money they carry and it's split evenly among the survivors. However, the actual goal of the game is for you personally to come out with the greatest amount of money of all players, and splitting fairly doesn't help much with that. So you can also try to kill one or several of your accomplices, take the money they're carrying, and not have to worry about splitting. But doing that flags you as a traitor, so all the other players can murder you right back with no repercussions, and of course everyone will remember it in the subsequent rounds. So if you're feeling a little less murderous and more passive-aggressive, you can also bribe the driver of the getaway car to drive off prematurely, leaving the rest of your group to fend for themselves for several minutes until the getaway comes back. With a bit of luck some or all of them get killed by the police, so you don't have to share your hard-earned money with as many accomplices or even at all.

It's a really fun and interesting dynamic, and I hope some other actually good game will pick it up again eventually.

Holy cow. I've never played Kane and Lynch, but I have played a lot of Payday, and what you described just blew Payday out the water.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Gino has a gun, which when I was a kid was the most important thing in the world.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Well, in my adulthood, the most important thing in life is to know when to hold the gun, and when to let it go.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Apparently Kemco released the exact same puzzle platformer on the Gameboy multiple times only with a different licensed character each time. That's so amazingly shameless that it's downright impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu-xRmDx224&t=2052s

Hah hah hah.

I wanna say that in their mind, maybe they thought it was like selling three different skins of the same game. Like they didn't expect you to buy all three, just the one with your favorite franchise or character in it.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Buzkashi posted:

"Your luck has gone from bad to worse / you face an orc who speaks in verse"

Thanks, Ulug the Poet.

My bodyguard killed a bard I wanted to recruit. It was my fault, but still I had to kill the bodyguard.

To save face.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Nihilists aren't necessarily atheists, though.
:goonsay:

Maybe not, but they might say that all values are created by people, and the gods are the grandest creations of that fiction.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
hosed up that there was a real WWII

Caufman
May 7, 2007
That's exactly what I did last month.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

FC4 had the strongest themes, at least, and knew what it was saying. Having a sob story doesn't excuse you from being a monster, and being a revolutionary doesn't mean you're squeaky clean. Basic, basic stuff, but was entertainingly written.

Completely agree, except that Blood Dragon had even stronger, mark IV style themes.

Also FC4's background the PC is from an immigrant American family, returning to his ancestral home is a huge improvement over being a bro that lands on a foreign country.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What was Kingdom Come: Deliverance's reason for a subtitle? It doesn't deliver any banjos or bum-rape. Though I heard the main-story isn't finished and just stops so they may be holding out for another title.

Looking forward to next year's installment, Kingdom Come: Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Caufman
May 7, 2007

flatluigi posted:

here's a really intense cool thing regarding game development and player perception

https://twitter.com/erwil9/status/986698061413052416
full article

again, all that changed is the rarity colors the weapons were, nothing at all changed mechanically

Nah, the red ones shoot faster.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I've met seven bears named or called Cheeseburger, two of them the human type of bear.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Thin Privilege posted:

That’s the next buddy I’m going nana get. gently caress humans. It’s gonna be me, and a combination of dog/bear/puma depending on situation.

Yeah, gently caress the humans.

Thank goodness Hurk isn't human.

MrJacobs posted:

The ones that eat Pic-A-nic baskets? Just cause they wear ties around their necks doesn't make them human. Just smarter than the average bear.

:hmmyes:

Caufman
May 7, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

FFXV has the most lovingly rendered food of any video game ever made. If there’s some kind of industry award for Best Food, it should definitely go there.

Why don't you have a pork bun in your hand?

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I didn't play much of Final Fantasy XV, but it was nice to see the main character respond to the news of the death of his father and the invasion of his home town by refusing to take off his festive mariachi outfit.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Most of the FC4 backstory involves your mom, your dad, and uhhhh your step-dad? Ajay himself was a little bland, but I give them credit for writing an Asian American character returning to his birthplace after writing Dudebro Does a Pacific Island.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Far Cry has had a main character since 3. His name is Hurk, and he just happens to not be the player character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Olaf The Stout posted:

As each movie has progressed in the Mad Max universe, George Miller seems to have gone far out of his way for the continuity not to make sense, and says it's much more about the mythology of Max rather than the reality. The movies themselves are sort of like campfire retellings of the heroic folk figure of Max, the raggedy man from the before-time. For one small example, Charlize Theron and Tom Hardy are only 2 years apart in age, but in Fury Road Furiosa was born and raised after the apocolypse, while max was already in his early 30s when the apocolypse began. Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome are both bookended by characters who aren't Max narrating, and end saying that it was a story about Max from long ago in the narrators youth, so the details are probably highly unreliable.

Yeah I noticed this, too. Also, some of the kids in Beyond Thunderdome looked way too young to have been born before the Pox Eclipse.

Frankly, I cannot enjoy media that isn't perfectly internally consistent from beginning to end. This isn't Greek theater, damnit!