Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
In Guild Wars 2 the primary trade hub city was recently destroyed, and is slowly being rebuilt. While running around I noticed a guard yelling that a nearby Sylvari should be hauled in just for the "crime" of being the same race as the big bad evil chick who blew up the town. The other guard was trying to calm the first down; the whole situation was unexpected and very neat to see, in a small corner of the map far away from shops and other points of interest. I always love the little details like that with which ArenaNet peppers their games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Because of this thread I started playing Fallout 2 with 1 Luck and the perk that makes everyone else critically fumble too.

This is going to be one interesting first playthrough of the game. Any other interesting things I should try, going into it blind?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I figure by playing a punch-robot I wouldn't have to deal with the critical fumbles in any disastrous way. Maybe I'll restart with Int 1 as well just for a lark.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Calaveron posted:

Off the top of my head I can think of three games that do that; Paper Mario, Okami and of course, Earthbound.

Final Fantasy II / IV does as well and it's awesome

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
This is the stupidest little thing, but it's a feature I wish were in every RPG I play –

In Pillars of Eternity each savegame, including autosaves, is grouped by character so if you start over you don't risk overwriting old saves. That was a nice change of pace when wanting to play through the game as different classes or with alternate story choices, without having to hunt down and remember which save was which or for what character.

The game has a number of little things like that many of which were already talked about in this thread, but this one was a very pleasant surprise for me.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Playing DOOM and I'm really enjoying how self-aware it is. I just beat the Cyberdemon and the achievement for doing so had me in stitches

Reference:

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

swamp waste posted:

This makes me sad for some reason. Why is everything a Joss Whedon reboot of itself

When the vast majority of call-backs are in the names of achievements and in the off-the-path hidden collectables, without hitting you over the face with "hey remember when?" it's much more palatable.

Many of the classic old demons/enemies are still there, but often with new takes on them. The old storyline of "gateway to Hell opens, bad things ensue" is very much in the forefront of the entire series, but I also enjoy how fleshed-out this one feels if you read the optional data logs and info codexes.

I think the self-reference adds things for those who were fans of the original, and doesn't detract from those who weren't, a balance that's often difficult to achieve.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
As a Bay Area resident Watch_Dogs 2 has a lot of little things. Today I noticed that, while usually you hear news reports of your various exploits over the radio, if you're near a TV set the program actually breaks away to show a newscaster – whose eyes are obviously tracking the words on the TelePrompter as they speak.

A very cool little detail for something I think most people wouldn't ever encounter.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I had actually only been doing side missions for my gameplay to this point; I just did a main story mission and it did pop up. Less cool, but still neat.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

NonzeroCircle posted:

Picked up Dying Light, I love how sick of everything Crane sounds all the time.

I just picked this up also and am doing Co-op with a buddy. I really like how well-integrated the climb/jump mechanics are integrated, and that almost every situation is an opportunity to take four or five different possible routes.

Very amusing how quickly Crane went from "sure, what do you need" to "goddamnit now what" when someone asks him for help.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
There is however little I've found more satisfying than slide-tackling the undead while running past/through them

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
In Quake Champions explosions from the rocket launcher are red and fiery as one should expect. For those very rare times one detonates against a (blue) teleporter however, the explosion sort of fizzles into blue mist. A neat little detail I enjoyed in a game about shooting people.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Strom Cuzewon posted:

More games need unnecesary emote buttons - Oddworld's farting, Transistor's humming, all the dark souls bullshit. I love all of it.

In Earthbound there's a dedicated button to ringing a bicycle bell (most people will not ride a bicycle)

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I'm playing through The Cave and it cracked me up that an emergency alert announcement declared code "0451" during the Scientist's section. In a game with no keycodes or passwords, it was still really fun to see that nod creatively added in.

See games like Deus Ex, Fallout, Thief, System Shock, and many others

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I'm about 200 pages late for Metal Gar Solid V chat, but I've really been enjoying the gameplay since picking it up last month and today noticed a nice little touch that I appreciated.

Quiet, the sniper buddy you can take with you on missions, is typically hidden up on high vantage points or on faraway hills, providing cover fire for when a mission goes pear-shaped. That means she's rarely near you, particularly when looking down the sights of her rifle. Carrying a wounded prisoner through the jungle toward the escape chopper, I noticed that she would faithfully lower her rifle if I stood in her line of fire.

Just a little tiny thing that I could easily imagine having been ignored or skipped in most games, but I appreciated here.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Clam Chowdown posted:

My favorite part of MGSV was beating the poo poo out of the four soldiers that are always there to greet you on the helipad when you return to base before doing whatever I went there to do.

"Thank you Boss!"

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
A buddy and I are playing through co-op and our regular routine is to spawn at a base and he grabs the intel while I spawn a chopper. We’re starting to run out of new things to find, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how much stuff there is in the map.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Captain Hygiene posted:

Far Cry 6 had a sidequest(s?) with actor/taco chef Danny Trejo, and it's pretty funny, but also kind of right at the tipping point where it's winning at the camera just a bit too much. But then, your reward is his gatling gun-mounted motorcycle, and it's the best thing ever :black101:

For anyone not familiar, this isn’t just a character voiced and modeled after Danny Trejo, canonically it’s actually Danny Trejo himself.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Fingerless Gloves posted:

In Rogue Legacy 2 there are challenge rooms with chests that only open if you, say, take no damage. There's a room with spikes you have to jump in between to reach the chest. It's a nice simple one compared to some of the others you can get.

My favorite part of RL2 is the chef. Not only do they light things on fire with every swing, look how darn happy they are doing it! It seriously makes me smile seeing a character having so much fun.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
The Let’s Game it Out guy has a whole YouTube series about messing with the cooking simulator games and what the physics engine will let you get away with

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I’m finally getting around to playing Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey and it’s my first AC game. There are a lot of little things to enjoy but several of my favorites include:

• Isthios, your eagle, will land on your arm as an idle animation while you’re futzing around in the Merchant’s menu
  • The little wrist flick after crawling out of deep water to shed any extra droplets
  • Nobody comes out to explain to the player what a “misthios” (mercenary/sell-sword) is, instead the concept is presented naturally and organically through gameplay and dialogue
  • Having fall damage be non-lethal from the outset, and not having to spend points on removing it altogether later on

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

:golfclap:

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Any conversation around game passwords wouldn’t be complete without a mention of River City Ransom

(Yes that’s 6733 possible combinations)

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
That’s actually very useful in speed runs as it can push you into walls and out of bounds (same with glory kills)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Cythereal posted:

So many lives could be saved if people remembered to check their pools for giant, mutant sharks.

Did they ever add in the option to invert controls?