Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

My Lovely Horse posted:

There's an e-mail you can read where somebody says something like "I've never even seen Eliza in person" and I pretty much could guess what was up then. Even though she projects holograms and can appear to people in person all day long if she wants I guess?
She probably only does that when absolutely necessary since there would always be the risk that someone would realise she was a hologram and want to know why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Breetai posted:

Read the apartment building receptionist's computer during the riots: The warehouse has had the mirror for months and are practically begging her to take it off their hands.
You don't have to wait for the riots, you can do it the first time you go to Jensen's apartment building.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Len posted:

I guess I got lucky because through the dozen or so GFWL games I've played I never had a single issue making it work so I've never understood all the rage people have for it.

quote:

I've got half an hour, I guess I'll play a little bit of this game I bought. Steam's downloaded it and it's up to date and ready to play.

You need to log in to GFWL.

I don't have an account.

You need to create one.

OK, fine, I'll do that.

OK.

Downloading updates for GFWL.

:what:

I already did that. :argh:

Downloading updates for this game.

:commissar:

Well, I now have about three minutes left to play, so I guess that was a half hour well spent.

Then the next time you decide to play.

Well, I don't remember my password because I use this account for absolutely nothing other than this game I've never managed to play, so I'll look it up. :argh:

Downloading updates for GFWL.

:flame:
And that's why I personally hate GFWL. Or I did until I realised that you can skip all that by creating an "offline profile". The method for doing so is kind of hidden, but once you know where to look, as long as you only want to play single player, you can cut through all that bullshit. It's still irritating that you need to do that though, and that it's so hard to find the option to do so.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

A quick YouTube search nets several <2 minutes speed-runs!
A guy I know swears that he did that thing everyone does when they find that final lock puzzle thing and tried random combinations, but actually stumbled on it and finished the game without doing most of it. It seems unlikely, but I can't say for certain that he didn't.

Bad Munki posted:

It's all relative. Quick compared to thirteen-year-old me figuring it out the first time. Like, you could comfortably play through the game in an afternoon if you know the answers or at least vaguely remember them.
Could you, without a walkthrough? It's been almost twenty years, but I remember some of them being pretty tricky...

Tiggum has a new favorite as of 18:33 on Jul 25, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Whitz posted:

Myst has been on my list of games to play for a while now, I'm guessing realMyst: Masterpiece Edition is the way to go?
I'd say not playing it is the way to go. I enjoyed it at the time, but I was playing it with my father and brother, so that made it more fun, and we didn't have the internet (or many other games). These days, with so many other options, I doubt any of us would pick that game or get very far with it before giving up. Some of the puzzles require some serious working out (we had to write down pages of notes to get through it) and it's very slow-paced.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Chard posted:

This was such a cruel puzzle. gently caress you game, I already know I'm tone-deaf and terrible at all things music, why you gotta rub it in?!
I've played a few adventure games with tone-based puzzles like that, and I always have to look up a walkthrough. I imagine it's even more frustrating if you're deaf, because there's often no indication that you're supposed to be hearing tones, so the deaf player just sees some things lighting up when you click them (and no subtitles appear) and has no idea what to do with that. At least the merely tone-deaf can tell that it's a tone-based puzzle and don't have to waste time trying to figure out what's going on.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

It's been said but I love that in Human Revolution your character is told to get a move on and get a hostage rescue mission started, and while you're free to explore the big Sarif HQ building if you take too long you get told you hosed up by taking too long and the hostages are dead. I don't think the game had too many moments like that but it was a very nice "we're treating you, the player, as an adult with agency and consequences" moment that really made it stand out from other AAA titles.

I think the only other point where anything similar happens is when Malik is under attack and if you don't kill all the bad guys quick enough then she dies. Otherwise you're free to dick around and do whatever you want, no matter how urgent they say it is.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

SR4 did some weird stuff, like making it super easy to drive any car you wanted since you could pull any car you've driven into the world at any time. Except after about an hour of story you get super powers that make it so you never want to get in a car again.

Unless you like fun. I continued to use vehicles through the whole game (not exclusively, of course, super powers are fun too) because driving cars is fun, and doing stuff like Hot Spots, Flashpoints and Virus Injections in a VTOL is fun too.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Morpheus posted:

I asked the....head guy...producer? Eh. Anyway, I asked him about where the series could possibly go from this point, and he said that he's pretty certain that the Saint's Row 'saga' is done - if they made any more, it'd likely be starting from scratch.

Apparently they are making another one. And the voice actor who played Dane Vogel, the main antagonist of Saints Row 2, is in it. I'm hoping for a reboot that basically combines the fist two games.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

donkey salami posted:

This isn't specific to one game though I think I noticed it first in borderlands 2.

I like when if you're inactive too long the game characters start making comments.

I got up to go to the bathroom and I could hear the game giving me grief. Totally surprised me.

The best version of this is in Saints Row 2. There are some standard ones, like leaning against a nearby wall to smoke a cigarette or have a drink, but there are a whole lot of locations around the city where the idle activity changes to something related to where you are, like joining in with people engaging in some activity in that area or using some object or equipment in the environment.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I've been playing The Sims 3 and have a Sim who hates being around people, hates going outside, and just wants to play video games all day. My other Sim threw a party. The first Sim didn't talk to anyone, just sat down in the middle of the room and read a book until they went away. :roflolmao:

I also like how the "evil" character trait modifies a whole bunch of options, like letting you take an evil bath or or wash your hands with evil soap.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

mng posted:

I can't remember any recent game that had reflective mirrors since Prey came out. I'm just going to guess that it's a big performance hit for not much gain.
My favourite mirrors that worked were in Duke Nukem 3D, because they worked by duplicating the room on the other side of the glass. That space had to actually exist in the level, and in the level editor you could put stuff in there, which meant you could have stuff that seemed to only be visible in mirrors.

Mierenneuker posted:

I like this callback to the original Deus Ex in Human Revolution.

I love the fact that Pritchard is apparently watching you the whole time, because that means that he knows you were breaking into everyone's offices and taking their stuff. He knows you broke into those apartments for no apparent reason. He knows you did an off-the-books job for the police. He saw you look around to make sure no one was watching and murder that cop. And he doesn't care. Just don't go into the women's toilets.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Captain Lavender posted:

I have to believe that they're making fun of Bioware. When you press the button to "Romance" someone, your character says, "Hey, wanna gently caress?", and the answer is "you betcha". And then that happens

That's specifically Kinzie's "romance" scene. You rescue more people as the game goes on and they all have different ones.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Bhodi posted:

Kairo: You're alone in a multi-universe / alien spaceship / alien landscape trying to jumpstart a city-sized machine while discovering what happened to the previous soul occupant

Is that what that game's about? I tried playing it briefly and couldn't tell what was happening or why, or what I was supposed to be achieving.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Does Volition still own GeoMod or was it sold to the new owners of Saints Row?

Everyone has had the thought to mix those and/or the destructible materials from RF:G.
Saints Row 4 would have been perfect since it's all a simulation so having buildings and mountains respawn would make sense.
As I recall, Volition still has Geomod, but some other company got the rights to Red Faction, so they can't do another Red Faction game.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

The only thing that would have improved them a bit is if the songs hadn't been on the radio before their missions. The impact of that last one is slightly lessened if you've heard it a hundred times throughout the game and put it on your mixtape.

The radio is a bit of a problem in SR4 in more ways than that. There just aren't enough songs. It's fine in the earlier games because you only hear the radio when you're driving (or briefly in your crib where it always seemed to be playing Karma Chameleon for some reason), but when you can have the radio on all the time it ends up repeating too much. And as bad as it is with the music, it's even worse with the DJs. Zinyak and Jane reading Shakespeare is funny the first time, but it gets old.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

m2pt5 posted:

All Source engine games have a quick quit console command as well ("quit prompt") which was once, for some reason, mapped to F10 by default in Team Fortress 2.

F10 used to be a pretty common shrotcut key for quit.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

I'm really enjoying playing as Kinzie too. I wasn't crazy about her in previous games (in 3 she seemed like pandering nerd bait what with being an oversexed hacker grrrl and in 4 every exchange with her was just a line of :techno: followed by her explaining it to the Boss when they don't understand) but it's fun to have her giggling and yelling when you hit a speed boost while flying after a while of stomping around as Johnny Gat.

I agree with you on SR3, but I liked her in SR4, the way she and the boss were just deliberately annoying each other. And my favourite bit in GOoH (so far) is the dialogue you get playing as Kinzie when you recruit the DeWynters.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Uh... they're voiced by Sasha Grey.

In SR3, Viola is Sasha Grey and Kiki is Megan Hollingshead. In GOoh Kiki is Ashly Burch but Viola is still Sasha Grey. Here's the full cast (includes character spoilers, obviously).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Captain Lavender posted:

I want GOoH so bad, but all I keep hearing is how short it is. Some reviews are like, "It's an expansion, what do you expect?!", but I don't actually remember the last time I spent more than $20 on any complete game in the last few years.
How long it is depends on whether you're counting just what you need to do to finish the story or if you're counting all the other stuff you can do. You advance the story by doing activities and targets, but at the point that the final mission becomes available you'll still have a ton of stuff left to do, even if you don't count all the collectables and stuff.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

And SR4 started its life an an expansion to SR3.

That's not really true. They were working on SR4 and an expansion at the same time, then changed their plans and combined them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

There were also some big cuts due to money/dev time (such as Kiki and Viola originally going to be leaders of their own gang outside of Morningstar and an ending stinger that would have Shaundi or Gat turning on the Saints.)
The main impact is really how much of the story seems confusing or unfinished, eg. everything to do with Angel, Shaundi's sudden personality change, the fact that it can be really hard to tell that Gat is even supposed to be dead; Until I finished the game I was expecting him to show up again at some point and go "Not dead guys!"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Shaundi's personality change pissed me off to no end because it basically does a direct 180 and torpedoes her character for basically no reason justifiable other than "I liked Gat and now I guess he's dead", but what made up for it in my eyes is that she immediately joined the team of characters that poo poo all over Pierce in Johnny's absence. :allears:
She did that in SR2 though.

Mierenneuker posted:

If you have The Saints Save Christmas DLC for SR4 you can have Shaundi, Fun/Old Shaundi and Future Shaundi as your homies at the same time. I don't remember if the latter has interactions with the former two though.
I don't think the DLC homies have conversations outside of their missions.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Kalos posted:

I don't know if SR2 did the same thing, but I think one of the worst aspects of storytelling in the third game is that you can complete a character's entire story without ever talking to them, since most of them are activities that you can just complete in the overworld whenever. In my first playthrough of SR3, my only interactions with Angel were recruiting him and then walking into his home several hours later to yell "A loving TIGER!?" without context and then walk out.
SR2 was amazing about it. Not only were activities totally separate from story missions, but every mission had a cutscene at the start and end, each activity had two locations with six levels of difficulty, and each location had its own cutscene, plus there were strongholds which were basically short missions that consisted of "go to this place and kill these dudes" rather than having any other objectives or timers or travel or whatever, and each of those had a cutscene as well. Saints Row 2 was a really good game.

My Lovely Horse posted:

You'd get unique little cutscenes with random citizens of Stilwater (apparently all SR1 characters?).
Some of them are SR1 characters, some aren't.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Lotish posted:

Saints Row 2 is still my favorite Saints game over all because I really liked the side content and preferred the progression system they had over the straight level up mechanics of the Third, but I haven't finished IV or touched Gat out of Hell. IV is pretty funny up front, though.
SR4 is probably my favourite for the first time through, but I think the only Saints Row game I'll ever bother playing through completely again is 2. I've done it three times now and it's still good, whereas the later ones I reach a point where I go "yeah, I'm sick of this now." I'll give Gat Out of Hell a couple of months before I decide if it's worth the replay, but SR2 is still the best.

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Yeah, I just finished SRTT again since I just updated my graphics card (drat, it looks pretty now) and i didn't see Angel much except for the scripted sequences.
Angel is pretty much irrelevant to anything.

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Also Rob Van Dam is the voice of Bobby, the deeper-voiced Murderbrawl/Professor Genki announcer. I don't know if that carries over to SRIV, but those guys were so fun to listen to.
Both Genki announcers are great, and they're back in SR4 and still great in that too.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I don't know how anyone could think Sarif was a bad guy. He's kind of an arsehole who only looks at the big picture and doesn't really care about people as individuals, but his motives and goals are all good. And the whole deal with him giving Adam extra super powers without asking is just bullshit. Adam would be dead without augs, so why not get all this cool poo poo? I can see a case for "perfectly healthy people shouldn't have to get augmented to keep their jobs", that's a reasonable point, but Adam's choices were between getting augmented and dying. At that point what's the argument for not getting as much cool poo poo as possible?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I understand having your hosed up limb replaced, but ask me if I want to replace my perfectly functional human arm with highly experimental prototypical technology made only for killing I'd rather just keep ol' lefty.

I don't think it was an experimental prototype, tons of people in the game have them, and it's not made only for killing. It's much stronger than a normal human arm and has the built-in blades, and that certainly is an advantage for killing, but it's not the only thing you can do. It also makes tons of other stuff easier. I can't imagine why you would not want a super awesome robot arm.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Going by Deus Ex HR rules, because unless you're the one guy with magical genes, you're gonna be depending on drugs for the rest of your life lest you go crazy.
I'm just perfectly comfortable with my human arms.
But he needed some augs anyway. If he was like everyone else and needed the drug, he'd need it regardless. It was never a choice between augs and no augs, it was a choice between some augs, all the augs, or death. I can definitely see why someone would choose to not get any augs at all, but once you've got one you're on neuropozyne forever anyway so you may as well get more.

Polaron posted:

I dunno, man, I think anyone someone hugs or touches or has sex with is going to want to feel warm actual flesh over hard, cold metal and plastic.
If you think there aren't people who want to have sex with robots, you must be new to the internet. :roboluv:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Race Driver: Grid allows me to use my favourite car racing tactic, sliding sideways into the car ahead of me in order to take a corner way too fast. :haw:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

flatluigi posted:

You probably shouldn't post like you're morally against anything like that being in games then

He didn't though?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

flatluigi posted:

If you take out the thirty times he said he was gay it's a lot of "games never do this right and should never do it because it's always awful and nobody cares if it's in a game and it's always for brownie points" etc etc etc. Flipping out about it existing is a good way for people to mistake you for someone who flips out about it existing, shockingly

Signed, a gay dude who likes seeing representation in videogames

I read it as "When a character is made explicitly gay for no reason other than to show how progressive the writer is and it's not actually relevant to the plot or character development, it comes across as pandering, and I hate that." And I agree entirely with that. If you're writing a story and decide that it's dumb to pretend gay people don't exist so you make some of the characters gay, that's fine, commendable even. If you then have those characters go "HEY LOOK EVERYONE, I'M GAY AND THAT'S TOTALLY FINE!" then you're being obnoxious and should cut it out.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

She was a prostitute in one of the taverns

Did the prostitutes in DA:O have any gameplay effect? I couldn't figure out what, if anything, they were supposed to do, or why they were even in the game.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

It's not really a case of swapping back so much as both sides have dicks.

Because it would have been too expensive to animate female character models.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Exit Strategy posted:

My favorite "overly concerned with the damage you're dealing" script, though, remains the punch tutorial from Gunpoint. It proceeds from telling you that one punch is OK and enough to knock someone out up through giving you an achievement if you'll please just stop punching that guy.
The writing in that game is just great from start to finish. My favourite is the bit where Mark Jackson is telling you his side of the story and says "I was trying to protect her." You have two options for how you want to respond:
  1. From who?
  2. From whom?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

princecoo posted:

I'm amused by the possibility of exploding baddies via car crash into unconciousness, the previous games were pretty good at believably keepng enemies from being killed (irreparably maimed maybe, but not dead).

Beaten unconscious and left in the snow with no help on the way is dead. Even if Batman did call an ambulance, they're probably still dead. Even if every one of them made it to a hospital, there's no way the hospitals are going to be able to handle that many seriously injured people coming in in such a short amount of time. Batman is a serial mass murderer.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

however because of you spoiling me on what I feel is likely a critical plot point I have to change the way I play to experience the story as quickly as possible to avoid being spoiled on more things.

Or you could stop reading the thread where every second person is posting about that specific game. :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

In Skyrim I never paid attention to what ingredients made what or were worth collecting, so whenever I walked anywhere I'd grab all the flowers. When walking down the street in real life I found myself thinking that I should be picking the flowers I saw.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

pulp rag posted:

It doesn't help that Valve has no internal power structure, meaning people can work on literally whatever the gently caress they want, with zero people to tell them they gotta work on a certain thing.

This is why Valve has the worst customer service, like, ever.

I know that's supposedly how their programmers work, but that can't apply across the board. They must have dedicated customer support people, right? Also, I assume that they don't have accountants and cleaners who just do whatever they feel like. "Oh, sorry about the toilets, I decided I'd just do break rooms and vacuuming from now on."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

I am okay with this. My sources from what were a few crappy indie developers throwing fits about the refund service. I like that it makes them mad.

I think they were just pissed off because convenient refunds mean that people won't be so willing to go "Well, it was poo poo, but I'm not going to make a fuss over $5."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Games that do flamethrowers good make me happy. I hate when you get a weapon that always sounds awesome, but then they try to balance it by making it either have no range or do no damage. Sometimes both.

The main thing I find with flamethrowers is that they work so much better on player characters than they do on NPCs. You'll fight dudes with flamethrowers and they're really annoying, then you finally get your hands on a flamethrower and it's pretty much your worst weapon.