Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

nael posted:

The Hulk has a secret super power that makes him magically able to destroy things without any collateral damage. This is actually Marvel canon.

He also breaks worlds when angry, this is also canon. These two things do not add up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

codenameFANGIO posted:

What I like about Quiet is that Metal Gear Solid 3 has a fully-clothed elderly man with the exact same gimmick

When does the end drink water from his skin?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

Drinking water from his skin isn't shown, but he has photosynthesis.

Which is a different gimmick, The End's was being one with nature. Quiet's whole gimmick is that she refuses to speak english and drinks from her skin, which is why she is naked. Besides that her only real gimmick besides that is she is a super-sniper who doesn't need a spotter, a gimmick used twice already. 3 if you count the stupid wolf girl from 4.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

TontoCorazon posted:

I love in far cry 5 the first thing you're tasked to do when you rescue the pupper is to pet that good boy.

Who cares about the dog when you get Cheeseburger who is a giant grizzly bear.... just don't actually feed him Cheesburgers... he's got the diabetes.

https://imgur.com/a/JsHLo

If you could somehow have a combination of Cheesburger, Hurk, and Sharky it would be the best open world game in a long time.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

Just tried to do a blind recording of the PS2 He-Man game cause I've not done a blind run for a long time, although abandoned due to the cutscenes flickering really badly due to it not emulating well - the cool thing is it's actually a fun game with the combat, at least it seems to be at first. The controls are fairly slow, but you hit really hard and send some larger enemies flying so it feels powerful and satisfying. If I can fix the cutscenes I may return to it.

Aren't PS2s dirt cheap now? Why not just go for it on a real console if you get that much enjoyment from the title?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Samuringa posted:

I'm really bad at taking the Evil rear end in a top hat option in games. I finished Mafia III yesterday, and if you play your cards right, before you go into the last mission your three captains will be fawning over you and how much you did for them, and how they finally found someone they can trust themselves and their community to. When you come back, they are all making plans for the new city you'll build together and you have the option of Ruling Together or killing them all and Ruling Alone and I don't even want to youtube what happens if you take the second option :(

That IS the evil rear end in a top hat option. You could have just walked away.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Samuringa posted:

That's the Somewhat Evil But Still Relatable option :colbert:

I also got the feeling that if Lincoln walked away the Commission would get him eventually like they did with Joe.

Not really its just depressing as gently caress. you chose the proper ending and became worse than those you sought to destroy. Except the whole slavery thing so it evens out. Also Joe was the main mafioso's driver in the last few scenes

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I can't see an N64 Mini straying from the games that people have nailed emulation-wise anyway. N64 emulation in general can still be pretty rough in places, but the Virtual Console has shown that they've gotten their own titles and most of the big third-party ones down pat. And that's what they need for something like that: they don't need a perfect emulator, they just need to be able to emulate the games they've picked.

The only thing that strikes me about an N64 Mini is that I'm not sure how you'd fill out the lineup without Rare. They were a massive part of the N64's iconic lineup, especially because third parties weren't super on-board with the platform, and I feel like if you can't reach for the likes of the Banjo-Kazooie games, Diddy Kong Racing, and Perfect Dark (they'd be able to use DK64, and Goldeneye is EXTREMELY off the table anyway), they're gonna have to make some weird pulls to fill up the lineup with well-regarded games that weren't considered better on the PS1.

...But it does free up the roster to include Pokemon Snap and Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, and if I got those two I'd be happy forever.

And why would Diddy's racing be off the table?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Neuronyx posted:

Okay this was cool to me.

In God of War, Kratos has two slots on his ax, a light attack slot and a heavy attack slot, these attacks being done using the R1 and R2 buttons respectively. Basically enchantments or whatnot can be put into them and if you hold L1 while pressing either attack button, the slotted enchantment/special attack/etc. will go off.

Anyway, these slots are shaped, one being square, the other a triangle. And if you played the previous games, you'll know square was your light attacks, and triangle were your heavy attacks. So, duh, guess which slot on your ax is the light attack one and which is the heavy attack. :eng101:

if you switch the controls to "classic" you can use the face buttons for the attack buttons instead of the shoulder, making it more obvious. still a neat little thing.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Kanfy posted:

Kratos is voiced (and mo-capped) by Christopher "Teal'c" Judge, so a deep fatherly voice is to be expected.

I guess Phil Lamaar was too expensive. :(

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Agents are GO! posted:

Im playing MGSV now, even though I know the twist, I realized they give it away really early becaue Venom Snake doesn't speak russian. Naked Snake does, and is even complimented in MGS3. They don't even try to pass it off as brain damage.

Also: Long Tall Sally is the only moral choice for helicopter music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k2bJ7a5VQo

Counterpoint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4qS2VbPO6k

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Geomancing posted:

BioEnchanted, where do you get hold of all these old games? Or even become aware that they existed? Do you just go digging through Goodwill, or search Ebay with sorting on Least Expensive, or what?

He said emulation as well as random UK thrift shops and stuff.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

BurningBeard posted:

I've been playing a bunch of King of Dragon Pass in anticipation of the follow-up game and there are so many little things throughout the game it's ridiculous.

If you don't know already, KoDP is a strategy game where you take control of a bronze age clan of pseudo Celtic/ viking types. The strategic layer is actually only half the game though. The other half is composed of elaborate choose your own adventure scenarios placing you in difficult societal situations, and those are the bits that give the game its character.

There are two little things I love.

It's important to understand the culture of the setting. You're dealing with what are in essence no more than about a thousand highly superstitious, xenophobic, authoritarian rednecks.

So often, situations are dire. There's plague in the clan, how do we address that? Bandits are plaguing us, what do we do? The primal forces of chaos are eating our sheep!

You're offered a range of responses, and because your economic, religious, diplomatic, and military situations are always shifting, one single metagame response isn't always the right one. For instance if you're military is weak, you might pay tribute to bandits, but you could also just crush them outright. Chaos might be dealt with by appealing to a militant order of warriors that do nothing but get wasted and rip it to shreds, but if you're broke, you could sacrifice to the God they fight for instead, hoping for divine intervention.

But sometimes you deal with more domestic situations. Two of your soldiers were drinking together, one insulted the other. Being upstanding barbarians, this means they have to duel, right? Well one of their wives, annoyed at the possibility of wonton bloodshed, brains her man with a branch before he can go get himself killed over a drunken dust up. Again, you are given several options for dealing with this, but one of them is just, "gently caress off with this poo poo we are trying to run a clan here, go figure it out you babies." and that can and does work.

The other one concerns combat. Fighting is actually not the point of the game. It's actually about creating the foundations of a more civil society. But fighting will occur. It's pretty uninvolved most of the time. You allocate a certain number of dudes, pick their strategy, and hope for the best.

But you also have nobles. They're your advisors during events, they have stats, and some predetermined personalities. And they fight right alongside your redshirts. So sometimes you'll get a brief description of a situation one of them is dealing with mid fight, and you can provide input. Most of the time it's pretty standard stuff like this guy is cut off behind enemy lines, what should he do? And you'll want to pay attention to what the noble is good at. Obviously don't ask a guy who's good at straight up combat to use magic to escape.

But one noble I had, instead of bog standard battle situations, would continuously recall weird vague prophetic visions that you'd then have to try to interpret to keep his rear end alive. And it kept happening to him. Every time he went into battle he'd recall another one. And he'd just hulk out and cleave everyone down, because his combat stats were so godly. But those battle events can be absolutely lethal to one of your leaders, so having only these ephemeral images and omens to work with not only puts you right in the head of the character, but also adds a cool wrinkle to what is, in essence, just a throwaway set of text boxes to make combat more engaging.

The whole game is like that. It forces you into the mindset of another culture. In fact, if you resist that mindset and try to play it with a modern perspective, you'll often gently caress yourself because the societal expectations are so much different than ours.

Is this the game where you can sue a ghost to stop it haunting your house?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Someone earlier in this thread, before I even bought the game, used the phrase "Majima is a goddamn freak" while discussing Yakuza 0 and now that I own the game it jumps into my head very frequently. Majima is a goddamn freak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPwQKeirXng
A goddamn freak

There is never a dull moment with Majima. Gaming would be in a way better place if all protagonists had even a tenth of Majima's panache.

Meh, Akiyama did that in 4 and 5 . Show him owning the rowdy customer in his 0 intro just dodging everything and publicly shaming him.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

VanSandman posted:

Solid Snake never got lovely. You take that back!

Yeah that was Johnny!

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Thin Privilege posted:

I take back all the bad stuff I’ve said so far about FC5. It took me forever cause I’m like level 1 but now I got a loving BEAR named CHEESBURGER who just goes on a loving murderous rampage if there’s cult guys around. Within a half hour of having him he killed so many dudes that I could afford baby’s first silencer so now I’m gonna own everything :unsmigghh:

Just don't feed him real Cheeseburgers, since he's got the Diabetes.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Caufman posted:

I've met seven bears named or called Cheeseburger, two of them the human type of bear.

The ones that eat Pic-A-nic baskets? Just cause they wear ties around their necks doesn't make them human. Just smarter than the average bear.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

I'm not exactly a historian on these things, but I think that title of honor would go to Hornet in Fighters Megamix in 1996. Who is Hornet? The race car from Daytona USA. It also included some of the Not Sonic characters from the Sonic fighters game so, probably the first fighting game to feature guest fighters.

Guest characters are characters not owned by the parent company. Fighters Megamix and Daytona USA are both Sega franchises.

So I would put forth Akuma in X-Men: Children of the Atom as the first one since Capcom didn't own the Marvel license. Soul Calibur 2 was the one that made it a big deal.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Croccers posted:

Hey, 2 has Kaoru Sayama who then is shipped off in 3's opening cutscene and is never heard of again. :v:

It’s a crime she wasn’t in 6.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Calaveron posted:

All the costumes could've just been palette swaps but instead each one has its own textures and individual details
Like the scarlet spider suit instead of being just a color swap with a hoodie on top has its own lines and textures different from any other costume

Yeah but the 2099 suit doesn't have a cape. :( Also no black symbiote costume because Insomniac are a bunch of criminals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

At one point it was because his stepfather was a decorated war hero that everyone loved but was also abusing the poo poo out of him and his mother.

how does that translate to "masked men with no accountability is bad"? which has always been at his core for hating spider-man in most media I get get the KKK origin and the masked mugger but not decorated stepfather= Spider-Man: Threat or Menace

MrJacobs has a new favorite as of 15:11 on Jan 3, 2019