Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

In a Scribblenauts Unlimited level, somehow one of Maxwell's family members had their own notebook.
I didn't notice this until wonderful, crazy things like this fellow started showing up:

Cibophobia is fear of food. Not of eating the food, but the food itself :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

You can also kill Chunk early on and he'll be replaced with his identical twin brother who wears sunglasses and barely says anything.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

He didn't do the entire soundtrack, although it wasn't like Black Ops 2 (Trent Reznor) and Fable (Danny Elfman) where the attached well known composer just did the main theme.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I don't know man, I find that scene where Batman is forced to punch a shark repeatedly much sexier.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

JebanyPedal posted:

I was born in SA and I love that some of the mercenaries you fight yell poo poo out in Afrikaans.

Stuff like that is unsettling when you're so used to being yelled at in English, alien languages or beastly growls. I just started replaying Hitman: Contracts and even though I know it has stages in Rotterdam, the Dutch bikers still caught me off-guard (again).

It's pretty funny how they used someone with an accent originating from the Antilles for the big, burly, white guards though.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

LoonShia posted:

Quick run-through? Of Myst?

A quick YouTube search nets several <2 minutes speed-runs!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I liked how when I first entered the Garbage area, some other Stalkers were in firm control of the scrapyard. As I went back and forth between the Cordon and other areas it seemed their numbers kept dwindling. I used some kind of container there as a storage space for loot. The first time I got attacked by a dog there it became obvious that I had to move on. I started making trips to the Duty base, back and forth (I didn't install a mod to remove weight restrictions). By the time I got the last of my loot, there was no one left in the scrapyard...

Also, the first time you get attacked by a Controller :stonk:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

DrNutt posted:

You can also bring Keith David as a homie along with Julius, played by Keith David.

In Saints Row: The Third you can have Josh (an actor) and Nyte Blayde (his most famous role) as homies at the same time. They have no interaction with each other, but the contrast between their voice barks (Hollywood bro vs angsty vampire hunter) is quite funny.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I started the Old World Blues DLC for Fallout: New Vegas today and the conversations with the Think Tank so far have been amazing. My favorite little thing is that I had the ability to ask for more caps (Fallout's currency) 4 times in a row, each with a consequent higher requirement of the Barter skill (which I had maxed out). They don't get infuriated by this either, because you apparently respond with "perfect reasoning" whenever you succeed the skill check.

Afterwards you can walk up to the guy who was responsible for the caps and ask him for some and he will hand them out no questions asked (the amount is smaller though).

...but I've had no urgent need for caps in a long while. Heck, I've still got the loot from the Dead Money DLC sitting in a closet alongside a couple dozen Raider Armors. It's the thought that counts really.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I like this callback to the original Deus Ex in Human Revolution.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

quote:

After Bungie fired O'Donnell in April, and "without cause," O'Donnell says, he sued the company.

As part of the decision, the arbitrator ordered Bungie to return to O'Donnell 336,375 shares of Bungie stock as well as 48,000 shares of common stock. The value of these shares is unknown.

According to the report, Bungie's lawyers were none too pleased with O'Donnell's shares being restored, saying O'Donnell would be a "bothersome presence at board meetings and in the company." These objections, however, were overruled.

He must have really pissed in someone's cereal. Perhaps the reason he hasn't said anything concrete is to be absolutely sure it can't be used against him.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

PJOmega posted:

Is that a sequel to Porrasturvat... or however you spell it in the crazy language that is German?

Yes. No, Finnish.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

When Batman does the sliding attack he does the kind of slide you see baseball players do when they slide for a base, it looks OK and it is powerful, but Catwoman's sliding attack is just as powerful and several times more sexy. What she does is; 1) she gets on her knees, 2) she leans really far backwards so she is almost lying down 3) she spreads her legs, all of which is sexy individually, but when put together and accompined with her battle moans is probably the single most sexy move in the Arkham Series.

Right?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Judging by books in Oblivion, Morrowind went to complete poo poo after the events of the game.
- Two of the demigods have died, the last one has fled before the godly powers have completely waned (since the source of his/hers/its powers was destroyed).
- Remember that gigantic rock that was being held up in the air above the capital city as a display of power by said demigod? Well, it came crashing down leading to some kind of cataclysm where the volcano became active again and started spewing lava and ash everywhere.
- Aragonians invade the isle, being sick and tired of their brethren being enslaved by the local population.

And as for the main character, s/he went on a journey to a distant region and was conveniently never heard from again.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Kavak posted:

-Slavery had been banned for several years by that point, but the Argonians decided it was time to put the shoe on the other foot, so they seceded and invaded.

It took a while, because prior to Oblivion the Argonians couldn't wear shoes :v:

This may be unique to Morrowind, but don't nitpick my jokes, n'wah.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 11:24 on Dec 8, 2014

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Captain Lavender posted:

EDIT: I have to add, for SR4: the "love" mechanic.

I have to believe that they're making fun of Bioware. When you press the button to "Romance" someone, your character says, "Hey, wanna gently caress?", and the answer is "you betcha". And then that happens

There's also Ben King in which case it looks like it is going to lead to sex, but then turns out to be The Boss being nervous about asking him to sign a copy of his book. The disappointed look on King's face tells him he was totally ready for sex.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 08:23 on Dec 11, 2014

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I like how you get a sped up arrangement of the theme when you start riding a bicycle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KApI_ziF23c

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Bhodi posted:

The problem with "Your father is sick, go help him" is the same reason a lot of people call Disney plots schlock. It's tuned in the most generic fashion to try and evoke emotion. it's the laziest of lazy plot devices.

When you have a game that's allegedly supported by it's plot and characterization, and you play it and find none, it's pretty disappointing.

Edit: Maybe all that comes in after the first hour, I don't know. ANYWAY

So, kind of like a fairy tale.

Really, the game is more about controlling two characters at the same time. If it were all about the plot the characters wouldn't be speaking an unintelligible language.

The game is like three hours long. If you have the time to play games, you can finish it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Little Inferno Fireplace is pretty much my faovirte game!
Even thoughhh it doesn't make any sense
Buy stuff...
BURN IT...
and it gives you MORE MONEY than when you started
HaHAHA I LOVE FREEE STUFF!
THAT can't last foreverr

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

blunt for century posted:

Well poo poo, I haven't played every game ever just to memorize things :manning:

:colbert:

No worries, I had a good laugh about it. A while back I copied that piece of dialogue verbatim for a Steam user review and it has gotten a surprising amount of positive votes. I wonder how many people actually think it is sincere. I've kept the game running for 100+ hours so that might have something to do with that :v:

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 11:39 on Jan 5, 2015

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

codenameFANGIO posted:

:stare: The game is like two hours long.

Hence why I said "running" instead of "playing". I originally planned to keep it idle until I had reached a total of 451 hours (seems an appropriate number for Little Inferno) since total playtime is shown when you read a Steam game review, but I keep forgetting about it :effort:

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 14:47 on Jan 5, 2015

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

If you have The Saints Save Christmas DLC for SR4 you can have Shaundi, Fun/Old Shaundi and Future Shaundi as your homies at the same time. I don't remember if the latter has interactions with the former two though.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Kimmalah posted:

In the picture he quoted, they do all have a pretty serious case of fiveheads and really bad haircuts that emphasize it. :shrug:

Yeah, while the Photoshoppery isn't doing them any favors they do actually look like that.

BTW Captain Lavender, you missed the best one. His current photo is much better though. They seem to have moved away from doing glamouresque photos and stuck to straight-forward headshots.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 11:19 on Feb 2, 2015

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I think for the first Riddick game they were just in an executive producer kind of role and it was pretty much all Starbreeze. For the second game they were probably heavily involved with the mo-cap and voice recording.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Probably the one you get from Operation Anchorage. The Chinese one that makes you look like a Cobra henchman.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

A limitation of that stair-walking animation thingy is that you can't use any of the stealth kills or the non-lethal takedown while somebody is walking on stairs. You can't have it all I guess.

I loved those pictures BTW. The expression on the second one is awesome.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

LoonShia posted:

I usually do, too. Partly for additional speech options, and partly because playing as a manipulative rear end in a top hat (with a minor in hoarding) is half the fun of these games.

I like NV's approach to having sex, too. You pay the prostitute of your choice, there's a black screen, and then a "You wake up feeling Rested." It's like the DM is looking at you from across the table, going "Yeah, you totally hosed her. Can we get on with it now?"

Want to "play some Gin Rummy" with an elderly woman in a horrible, dilapidated building? Go ahead.

Having the "Lady Killer" perk allows you to flirt with a light switch in the Old World Blues DLC. Lots of puns about being "turned on".

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Does it also have Wrathraven's Sword?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

"Here lies Boobplate"

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I wonder how many replays of Morrowind were cut short by the glacial movement speed you start with... or prompted an early acquisition of the Boots of Blinding Speed (spoilered for radiatinglines).

Edit: With my first character I walked all the way from Balmora to the town where you can join the Imperial Legion (Gnisis?). That was quite a journey of it's own, because I went through the swamps instead of sticking to the roads. I don't think I ever was in danger of dying, but I definitely was cautious at the sight of every new creature. I remember revisiting that area during a Daedric quest and it definitely felt different at that point.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 20:32 on May 26, 2015

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Terminal Velocity from 1995 tries to sell you on buying the CD-ROM release instead of the floppy disk edition :allears:
Edit: Most of the graphic options in this game have two settings - 486 or Pentium.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 10:06 on May 30, 2015

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Fon fon fon auf der Autobahn?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Cleretic posted:

On top of Dota 2 having a bunch of responses for buying good items for a hero (one hero's got a response for buying a specific, ridiculously expensive and risky pair of items, another has one for buying four Aghanim's Scepters because that used to be a really good strategy), it's also got some lines for making extremely bad item choices. Buying Blink Daggers on heroes that can already blink gets you wondering why you bothered, Lifestealer gets offended if you buy a lifesteal item, and the hard supporting hero Warlock sounds genuinely worried if you buy him the high-risk damage item Divine Rapier.

Also,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meH9uKpQfzM

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Must have been a loooong night too, since Batman also solved all of the Riddler's challenges. He even had time to do a couple dozen of them when he was deadly ill, instead of rushing for Talia al Ghul's help.

That could have been just my playthrough though :v:

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 11:01 on Jun 19, 2015

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

In Republique one of the people helping the main character to escape is part of the security staff. One of the collectibles in the game are video game cartridges, depicting indie games released in the last 2-3 years. If you select one of the cartridges in your inventory he'll tell you something about the game, developer or why he liked the game. He'll also have remarks about some of the workplace posters you encounter (most which serve as tutorials or reminders of gameplay elements). During the story he is forced to leave his office for a while making him unable to assist you. The cartridges and posters are no longer voiced at that point.

The main menu of the game is a series of monitors that this guard is, well.... monitoring, explaining how he is able to assist you. Once he leaves in the game, you also no longer see him on the main menu. I thought that was all a nice touch.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The devs tried so hard to make Absolution a cinematic experience that they lost track of what people liked about the series. The main flaws of this have been adressed in this thread, but there's also things like having dynamic music instead of a score by Jesper Kyd (who might have been busy with AssCreed at the time) and them dropping voice actors because they wanted to go the performance capture route. They didn't bring the guy who had voiced 47 since the first game back until the fans wouldn't stop complaining about it.

People also complained about the whole Instincts feature a lot before the game was released, but I think that was a good solution to make the game less reliant on you having to look at a mini-map every 30 seconds. They were already moving in that direction with Blood Money's picture-in-picture to draw attention to important events.

Sleeveless posted:

It's a pretty fun stealth-action game, most of the backlash was from fans of the original games who forgot that every other game in the series other than Blood Money was also full of linear action-oriented levels, had godawful/non-existent mid-level save systems, and had plenty of goofy ridiculous bullshit in them; Latex Titty Nuns are about on par with Bald Albino Clone In Bird Costume, Evil Circus Midget, Human Jabba The Hutt, and Offensive Caricature Of Black American Gangsters As Envisioned By Danish Video Game Designers.

I'm having trouble placing this one.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

It is a shame that the Contracts mode in Absolution was so limited in recognizing what you used. Detonated a remote explosive OR shot a hole into a fuel canister? They both will just count as explosive. Revolver A or pistol B? The game doesn't differentiate between them. So you can't do a contract where you need to take down a high profile target with an unique weapon before you can get to your real target. I imagine that's something they changed in the upcoming game though.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

And here is the opposite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRC5ab5tLUY

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

You hosed over one of the clerks in the intro to the game, causing him to lose a limb and such (the reason he is now a clerk instead of an assassin). That dude is just straight-up spiteful until your very last conversation with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

In the original Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War i like the loading screens before the start of a mission. It shows you a tactical map of the planet you are fighting on with the positions of the various factions, which is updated after every mission. The most noteworthy aspect is the increasing threat of the Orks on the planet, making it really obvious anyone sticking around is really screwed. The Space Marines spent the second half of the campaign dealing with Eldar and pursuing Chaos Marines, so the loading screens are a nice reminder that the Waaagh! is still a thing even though you no longer fight Orks.