Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

More from Deus Ex: HR: at some point there's a list of usernames and logins that are all famous science-fiction writers, and if you check a particular computer, you find out someone's employing Kevin Mitnick as a hacker.

Also, you'll know this if you beat the second boss: Newsanchor Eliza Cassan turns out to be an AI. ELIZA is one of the first examples of chat bots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

Less subtly, you go looking for her in Room 404.
Cannot believe I missed that.

There's an e-mail you can read where somebody says something like "I've never even seen Eliza in person" and I pretty much could guess what was up then. Even though she projects holograms and can appear to people in person all day long if she wants I guess?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

pentyne posted:

And the token future Final Fantasy poster.

XXVII is really drat optimistic. They'd have to make one a year. Should have been... well pretty much any Ubisoft game.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I have to start about Deus Ex again, because I just hacked Pritchard's computer and found the e-mail from Picus where they tell him that no, they really aren't interested in his pitch for a TV show starring a superhacker who operates from the shadows, and their target group would be a lot more interested in a cop or ex-cop protagonist.

No wonder the poor guy doesn't like Adam.

I also enjoy it a lot every time I find the Nigerian spam mail on a random computer in the bowels of a black ops facility, and I hope at some point I come across someone who was clearly dumb enough to reply to it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

carry on then posted:

Can we get an itemized list of video game moves on the sexy axis? I need an executive summary.
There just has to be a ScrewAttack video about that.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That could as well be from Deus Ex. I went into vents so much I started feeling like a spider with a tranq rifle. One of the bits that analyzes your gameplay choices should have been like "unfortunately the augmentations instilled an irrational fear of open space in Jensen's mind."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's a note on Adam's broken mirror saying "bug management about the mirror replacement, AGAIN." If you use Adam's PC, there's an e-mail from building management about how the delayed replacement is a manufacturer issue and no amount of urging will get them to do it faster. So far, so obvious, but if you go deeper and hack the building manager's PC there's an e-mail from the mirror manufacturer saying it's been ready for two weeks and could they please get someone to pick it up already.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

When you hack Pritchard's PC you discover than he's been pitching a show outline about a crime-fighting hacker (who just happens to use Pritchard's own handle) to the networks, and they've repeatedly rejected it because their research shows that audiences prefer stronger and more proactive protagonists, maybe ex-cops. No wonder he doesn't like Adam.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If you've played Smash Bros. at all and Kirby's taunt isn't seared into your memory from constant use, you and your buddies haven't been doing it right, sorry.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

In The Last of Us you're often being subtly guided by environmental signs that might say ONE WAY or EXIT. At one point you're trying to escape an area and have to go through a building, and once you unblock the entrance an EXIT sign stares you in the face, that sort of thing. (Granted, it could be I'm giving the environmental design too much credit, since you are looking for one literal exit or another most of the time, but I think it's deliberate.)

In the final sequence, you're escaping from a hospital and run through an ophthalmologist's office where the eye chart spells out RUN YOU ARE ALMOST AT THE DOOR.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lotish posted:

This is why I thought the "HE'S SUCKING THE BLOOD BACK INTO HIS WOUNDS!" complaints people had about Healing Surges in DnD 4e were dumb as hell.
As if, apart from everything else and luck being part of what HP are all official rules text-like, that wasn't a perfectly reasonable explanation to begin with.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You have a good DM.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The first Mario Kart 8 DLC pack came out today, featuring Link and a Hyrule-themed track. On that track, they replaced all the coins with rupees and the usual piranha plants with deku babas.
What I like even more than that, though, is that Link is too tall for the karts and has to pull his knees up uncomfortably high to fit in. :3:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Haha, so it is! As well as that, the F-Zero track gives you coins on the energy recharge sections.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I kind of want to call Hyrule Warriors the Super Mario RPG of our day.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

In FFX Wakka uses a potion on Tidus at one point in a cutscene which is nice!
It's starting to sound like this is less "nice attention to detail" and more "happens all the time but webcomic writers thought they were all pretty smart pointing out the one time it didn't".

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cleretic posted:

If we can say that SR3 did one thing to add to the franchise, it's incorporating the soundtrack like that. Personally, my favorites are the Deckers mission in the power plant, and You're The Best Around, but even if 3's musical missions were nothing to write home about they would've been worth it, just because they paved the way for You've Got The Touch.
The only thing that would have improved them a bit is if the songs hadn't been on the radio before their missions. The impact of that last one is slightly lessened if you've heard it a hundred times throughout the game and put it on your mixtape.

Granted, I perfected a synchronized superpower display routine, so there's an element of balance there.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Saints Row 2 is still the best for that. There's a hidden store where you can buy, among other things, a full body hot dog costume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bolMVJymBs

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm replaying Saints Row IV and the alien toilets have three seashells on them.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Captain Lavender posted:

I discovered Saint's Row games with 4 during the xmas sale. I've kind of gone nuts on it, gotten some DLC's, and played the 3rd (which I didn't like nearly as much). I need to get 2, I hear there's a good mod to make it run on the PC?
Do note that SR2 is a very different beast to 3 and 4. It's still quite good but it's... like the parts of 3 that aren't like 4, really. It's much more grounded in reality and hardcore gangsta grit, but still lets you do fun stuff for the hell of it and face the hardcore gangsta grit in a hotdog suit.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

And SR4 started its life an an expansion to SR3. Volition is the best company in the world at making finished bits and pieces into a coherent whole, but it still shows through occasionally.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Yeah, it felt like it almost wasn't aware of the madness you could create. From SR3 on, it was too self-referrential, encouraging you to make a dumb character.
I have this theory that SR2 is best played with a wacky character, and 3 and 4 with as straight a gangbanger as you can manage who stoically faces the ludicrous situations he gets in and his crazy rear end new lieutenants. But the character creation systems are exactly the wrong way around to really put it to the test.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kalos posted:

I don't know if SR2 did the same thing
Things were set up completely differently there and the activities had nothing to do with your story characters at all. You'd get unique little cutscenes with random citizens of Stilwater (apparently all SR1 characters?).

SiKboy posted:

How obvious it is that Gat is dead depends on which voice you picked for your main character I think, because they all have different lines.
Also on what choice you made in the mission right before that scene.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Basch was the main character early in development, before it shifted to Vaan and Panelo. The development team claimed it was because their previous game with a 'strong, grown man in his prime' hadn't done well. That game being Vagrant Story, with Ashley and his assless pants.
It's this fact that makes me wish FFXII had a four-person party, because then I could just put the actual characters in that and leave the kids to their own devices.

Vaan is nothing but the party gofer. The adults decide important things in the back room of some tavern while he has the important task of going out and buying 99 potions and taking Balthier's vests to the laundromat.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Croccers posted:

Bully does this too.
GTA Vice City as well, your initial hotel room would fill up with racing trophies, posters and one of the collectible tiki statues (broken open and drugs spilling out), and once you got a better base of operations it had the graves of its former owners and an ever growing pile of pizza boxes because your gang members are filthy pigs.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

2house2fly posted:

the game was meant to detect if you'd had sex with her and make things awkward if you did and fine if you didn't
That doesn't strike me as strictly better, to be honest.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Just replayed Portal 2 recently, it's incredibly good for little things, especially the Cave Johnson section. All the old posters on the walls illustrate very well how Aperture was run in those days ("Remember to call a supervisor if you see OHSA inspectors"), and of course there's the whole thing where they went from athletes and war heroes as test subjects to badly paid volunteers to their own staff. My favourite poster is about the volunteers: right near that section's exit there's a booth where they would have picked up their payment with a sign that says "all forms must be filled out correctly to receive payment of $60." Not only did Aperture cover their asses so they could deny payment abitrarily, but the "$60" line is also a sticker covering a considerably larger number.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

FFX has great gameplay, but it has some really bad writing issues.
FFX has great gameplay for as much as ten minutes at a time, before the next cutscene sets in.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Here lies Firedorn, a famous poét
Of meter and grammar, no idea he had

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

They had that in GTA IV already, it was pretty cool. I think after all the variations had played you'd just drive in silence if you had to retry again. If I'm not mistaken they even put in some "let's just drive, Niko" lines for those events.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

At the very least, the radio stations in GTA III and Vice City were single long audio files. Matter of fact, straight up MP3s in the PC versions - for VC you could simply change the file extension and you were good to go.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

LoonShia posted:

Here's a page of what Tom is doing these days.

quote:

A peaceful game about maintaining speed and grace by swinging yourself around randomly generated spaces with a rope. Built in three weeks from the rope physics I developed for the Grappling Hook Game.
Say what you want but back in the day I'd fire up Worms Armageddon just do to that for like half an hour.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I like how the last one is on a screen filled to the brim with details already.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

princecoo posted:

I figure there is a market for unconcious bad guy removal services that just contracts out to the city.
Please don't steal my Batman/Metal Gear Solid fanfic.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

death .cab for qt posted:

The gradual building of pure joy you can hear in most people's voices when they realize that yes, your nerd game is getting a sequel, and it is going to loving rule is just wonderful. :allears:
Slightly less gradual:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u04ITuJUrlQ

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wasn't one of the very first things Arkham City had you do to counter someone as Bruce?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Preem Palver posted:

Or just setting up elaborate scenarios for amusement. I'm sure I wasn't the only person in the suburb level that dressed up as a clown and stealth killed every single person in the level before dragging them to the garbage truck and crushing their bodies.
"We said make it look like an accident, not make it look like a freak accident!"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sebastian Vettel posted:

Sometimes I like to imagine the ludicrous backstories for Dead Cell are just Raiden's support team seeing how much bullshit they can feed him before he questions it.
Replace Dead Cell with Metal Gear Solid, Raiden with players and the support team with Hideo Kojima and that's basically what Metal Gear Solid, and very especially MGS2, is all about.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Between things like being able to paint your combat helicopter gold and have it blare 80s songs or paint it and your base pink and fulton everything that's not scenery, I don't like saying it but Saints Row had better step up its game if they're doing another one.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

CQC in 5 is hold to choke, tap quickly for a combo, or press while tilting the stick for a throw to the ground.
As well as that when you choke someone you get a little context menu to interrogate, knock out or kill, which instantly sold me on the system after avoiding it in MGS3 and 4 like the plague.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

Actually it's all versions but PS4
Welp taking that thing back to the store.