Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

BRD was a nightmare at release because there were like 27 quests in that zone and everybody was always on a different one from you, ensuring a five-hour clear for every group. The level range was also crazy so depending on where you were the fights could be doable to borderline impossible with an underleved group. It's cool that early WoW instances attempted to be entire zones unto themselves but there's a reason why multi-part dungeons were quickly divvied up into wings following that.

Olaf The Stout posted:

I love BRD, it's like an entire dungeons and dragons campaign in there. Slave pens and soldier barracks, domiciles and bars, forges and banks, gladiator arenas, mines, smiths, engineering sectors, culminating in the grand throneroom, BRD is it's own entire self-supported city unto itself.
On a conceptual level I can appreciate the design of BRD (and the follow-ups in BRS), it would be great as a location in a single player or co-op/PnP RPG. You can see that BRD is supposed to be broken up into multiple, seperate dungeon crawls exploring the various parts of the capital city of the evil dwarves, but that is at odds with the way MMOs are played. For the more casual WoW players who didn't raid, BRD covered the last stretch of leveling and the early endgame, but by the time people arrive in MMO "endgames" they don't care about the exploration aspects that make BRD great for long. They want to farm dungeons for XP and loot in an efficient way, and here we have a sprawling hub-like dungeon that spans like 10 levels and could take multiple hours to clear entirely. BRD was fine for the first time through, but afterwards it becomes a chore - especially with new/bad people, in a version of the game where you can't just pull up a dungeon finder to replace someone who had to leave for work halfway through. The "gamified" design of separate, compact dungeon wings the game used for future content is less immersive, sadly, but it's also way more manageable for people who can't spend an entire evening in a single dungeon (and you still might not finish it, or your task).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

BTW something cute in the original Gears of War that's pertinent to the sewer level discussion: There is a gag in the Mine level where the party splits up, you always take the upper path, and they get stuck whining about being in a sewer level that you never have to play. I thought that was pretty funny.
That's the proper way to do these jokes IMO and I wish more games did that.

This is technically for the annoyance thread, but far too many games pull the "haha isn't feature/level X lovely am I right?" card while making you suffer through X. It never get's better, funny or even immune to criticism just because you point it out, if you already figured out it sucks, don't make me play bad sewer levels or missions for assholes without being paid until the game is almost over (GTA5).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

The GTA ripoffs of that era were almost always terrible, but the sequels of those games were all probably more worth picking up than any GTA games contemporary to them. Just Cause, Sleeping Dogs, plus Saints Row and Crackdown if we expand the window a little bit.
Yeah they usually tried to copy GTA(3) with a different plot/setting, but didn't have experience with the formula. By the time they released sequels they had developed improvements to actual gameplay systems.

Meanwhile Rockstar just moved 3D GTA to other cities and then to the HD age. Gameplay is not important anyway, please play our interactive gangster movie.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Evie was cool and I did 99% of the open world stuff with her. I always disliked having to play her brother for story purposes.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Original Sin 2 is x100 times better with the mod that removes the exponential power scaling. Now your equipment lasts longer, you don't have to outfit every time you level up, the stat numbers are no longer silly, and fighting a foe that's a higher level is no longer suicide.
What mod is that/link? Because the inventory and stat scaling is absolutely ruining the game for me right now.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Reduced Number Bloat (DE) by Baardvark. You'll also need the mod that enables achievements on modded games.
Oh I already have that because I'm playing with some of the gift bag features :)

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You can't, they ran out of ideas after one game and blew up the universe/franchise after three games :toot:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

U.T. Raptor posted:

That's every elf after they remodeled them for DA2, though.
Different standards of beauty :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think how much you like Syndicate also depends on how much you managed to burn out on the formula up to that point. It's a greatly refined/improved version of Unity IMO but if you didn't get over having to pick up every doodad that's trackable on your map yet, it will still be exhausting and it's not that big of a shakeup vs. the previous game (unlike Origins).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

The lesson a lot of AAA games, like Destiny 2, took from this was "people really want to look cool so that means we can charge them out the rear end for it!" rather than "People have been asking us for a transmog system for literal years, maybe we should work on that".
But it's cosmetic only so that makes it okay.
:goonsay:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kitfox88 posted:

Do you no longer get banned for cheating online cash because of so I’d play it again
Haha that's the one thing you reliably DO get banned for.

Don't mess with their revenue streams. But if you just want to make everyone in your session explode, you might get away with it for ages :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

SubNat posted:

Engines can be pretty flexible, and adapted to a lot of things.
The issues with Bioware getting pushed into Frostbite isn't -just- that it's 'only a FPS' engine, but rather that basically all the Frostbite developers + support staff were focused on supporting and developing for the various high-profile-yearly-release titles, like the shooters.
If I remember that article correctly, it wasn't even the shooters, it was all the other excessively profitable titles (especially the sports games) which were assigned all the "help us use this shooter engine for a totally different genre" engine support folks.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Something like Unreal started out as a rendering engine for first person shooters too, the difference to using Frostbite for Bioware RPGs was that Unreal has been used for a large variety of different games and genres for years, and provided suitable tools for stuff the original shooters didn't have yet, or studios which used it in the past had tools for the engine as well.

With Frostbite it sounds more like EA went "we don't wanna pay Unreal etc. license fees anymore, use this neat looking engine from our Swedish team and make your own drat tools and extensions, BTW your game needs to come out next year". Maybe it wasn't a year, but it was clearly not enough time for the options Frostbite had for non-shooter games at the time.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I liked messing around with Bayek so every few days/weeks I returned to the game for a few hours and just spent some time helping his people and clearing locations, after a few weeks I was down to a manageable amount of remaining locations so I decided to finish them off and got the last trophies - at that level you'll clear out the forts etc. super fast, the biggest thing is travel time. Focusing on clearing the map from the beginning would be madness, though.

And in Odyssey I didn't even bother anymore. Clear whatever is in my way or what the quest wants me to clear, move on to the next island/quest because I already did it in one game, that's enough.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
No that's specifically the purpose of that armor. It increases the radius at which you clear the fog of war, vibrates if you get near collectible artifacts, and comes with the wind guidance feature for collectible items. You get the armor really early, and the upgrades increase the vibration range and the radius of how much fog of war you clear. The wind guidance to collectibles is always built in, but you have to select it so if you set your own pins to map locations or if you track quests it doesn't show up.

Guiding wind towards "map completion" locations (like hot springs or bamboo stands) has to be bought with technique points and isn't tied to the armor.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You don't have to view it as a honor thing, the storm is helping you stealth kill some bad dudes. And afterwards you can pull out your flute and make it rain (or foggy etc.) :woop:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's fair, I looked up the article that I'd read, and it was more the writer editorializing on that part than the designer's quotes, as I'd incorrectly remembered.
Also I should figure out how to get more than one flute song.
Basically every time you come across a graveyard take a few seconds to find the cricket container. You can also use the traveler's outfit to track them down IIRC.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The only problem is that Michael and Trevor don't have it and the game occasionally makes you play them and then you crash into all sorts of things because you realize that too late :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mokinokaro posted:

Trevor's huge damage reduction during his is handy but it really needed to last longer.

I don't even remember what Michael has.
Slow-mo shooting in case instant L1/R1 target switching from a mile away + pull up the stick a bit for easy headshots isn't enough :laffo:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
These "intentionally grindy but you get the privilege to pay to remove the grind" complaints keep popping up with games that offer XP boosts for single player and usually only apply to a specific way of playing the games, ie. like a reviewer trying to rush through the story ASAP in order to complete the game and move on. I originally played the game on PS4 (without CheatEngine and certainly without any boosts), and it was fine - it's trivial to stick to areas your level or lower for the quoted example of stealth assassinations, and to explore the map and earn XP without having to fight an entire fort without four melee attacks unlocked. There are few hard level gates in the story and every time I was well past them when they popped up.

I'm aware "grindy" is a completely subjective issue and yes I'm also tired of levels/XP on everything in every game, the AC:Os would be better with less of it but they never felt "intentionally grindy" as an incentive to buy the boosts. They're just very large games that have less than ideal level systems (so you might hit situations where more levels would have helped). But so far in all the Ubisoft "open world numbers go up" games you earned more than enough XP and other stuff by just playing. Blaming the 60 hour+ game for offering a paid option to make your numbers go up faster because you want it to be a 30 hour game is kinda barking up the wrong tree :shrug:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

It goes on pretty deep discount regularly at least
Yeah it usually takes half a year to a year before their "gold editions" show up for $35 during sales.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The other day I realized the different equippable weaver tools (handlooms) in FF14 have different and sometimes very cute pictures on them, like a chibi succubus, various forms of moogles or just neat coats of arms. I've been playing that game on and off since 2013...

And yeah Origins is fun (in some ways I prefer it to Odyssey) and maybe Aya was meant to be the main character, but I really liked playing as Bayek because he's cool and fun and his interactions with children are always :3:

rydiafan posted:

Were you all about the "pride and accomplishment" you felt unlocking Vader in Battlefront 2?

The games with experienced boosters aren't fine as is and the boosters are a way to play them faster. They are slow as is and the boosters are a way to pay to play them normal. And I know this is a fact, because whenever they remove things like experience boosters they always have to rebalance the game to account for that. If the game was fine without experience boosters in the first place why do they need to rebalance it when they remove the experience booster? See Shadow of War and the aforementioned Battlefront.
I'm sorry but you're raging at the wrong person here, I didn't try to justify grinds as a "pride and accomplishment" thing. I said "game has booster -> game has to be grindy -> game wants to push me to spend another :10bux: to be less grindy" is a fallacy and doesn't apply to every single player game with available boosters (I'm not denying it does happen in some games). It's very obvious that Polygon article was written by someone who wanted to push through AC:Odyssey as quickly as possible but couldn't because of the level system (which has issues that are unrelated to grinds and booster sale incentives), and the only solution imaginable was "more XP for more levels/skills".

Obviously the situation is different in MMO / MP / live service games where devs try to excuse their lootbox etc. sales with "oh but you can totally earn it in game [by grinding for dozens/hundreds of hours]". Also if a game has to be rebalanced after the removal of RMT options, like Shadow of War or Ghost Recon Breakpoint (I don't actually remember any other single player games like that right now), then yeah that's a strong hint the game tried to push booster sales, which should be critizied. That's not what happens in the Ubisoft open world level up games I played in the last years, though, and definitely not in AC:Odyssey.

Basically this:

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Fwiw I never felt limited in aco, and unlocked abilities at a quick enough clip that I got to learn how to fully utilize one before I got the next. I never felt like I'd need to spend money to have fun, because I felt like the base tools were already pretty fun. Heck, I'm still unlocking new tools to mess around with which is always fun, not to mention gear sets that give me even more options

Plus if I unlocked things like assassinated bodies disappear instantly really early it would have made the game very boring

To me that's way different than limiting multiplayer features I guess

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The Batmobile's bad reputation is deserved. It controls alright and it's fun as a novelty, but in the end it's shoved into a lot of (mandatory) story missions and a huge percentage of optional side content/challenges so people disliking the car for having to use it more often than they want to is absolutely valid.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

I'm not a huge fan of jokes like "haha, these kinda puzzles are totally stupid, right? But we're gonna force you to do them anyway."
GTA V is an entire game about this trope and it's just awful all the way.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

hazardousmouse posted:

GTA V had puzzles in it?
No it does it about game mechanics/progression.

"Ha ha we're making the characters in game constantly point out how much it sucks to be sent on errands by assholes for no reward, isn't that funny? Because we give you, the player, the runaround and don't reward you. Get it? We're so clever :smuggo:"

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
GTA V had a pity skip option if you failed a mission often enough, so during repeat playthroughs I used that to skip all the lovely missions like the entire FIB arc.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's extremely obvious the Housers wanted to be Hollywood directors and really like the movie Heat. Acknowledging this doesn't make GTA V better as a video game, though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Can you still hide in a bush, prepare a fire arrow, then set the bush and yourself on fire? Because that was funny.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Vandar posted:

The Legends trilogy is really loving good and I do wish the series had continued on from there instead of going down the reboot route.

I think it might be time for a replay of Legends...
They just released the Legends trilogy on GOG so I'm about to replay it too, it was my favourite version of Tomb Raider (the latest reboot trilogy's Uncharted ways do absolutely nothing for me).

It's too bad there's Xbox 360-exclusive content for Underworld which I'll never be able to play :(

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I remember Relic turning into a casual games developer after the intro "episode".

Big boobs lady was the evil antagonist from the first game, not sure where they were planning to go with her.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hel posted:

My only memories on Sin: Episodes is the fact that they messed up the adaptive difficulty so that it never went down. It might also have been the game where headshots made it go up super fast, which lead to headshot being the only viable option, which just made it even harder etc. etc.
IIRC headshotting lots of dudes made them wear helmets more often, making headshotting more tedious and the big fights way harder because headshotting was still the only real solution.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure that's also the reason why it got pulled from digital distribution :rubby:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I loathe and will never touch escalation type content and this ET Arcade poo poo put me off from buying H3 completely, but it's cool to find the one in a hundred players who actually like this :)

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Frosty Mossman posted:

That is one of the most unhinged things I've read today. Granted, the bar wasn't very high, but also haha what?? They made a mode I'm not interested in, someone call the police!
It was a joke because the mode is really not well received and IOI has been handling Elysive Targets very badly for years, when they announced the arcade people were hoping they finally learned but it was apparently the wrong lessons.

But I'm glad it still managed to be enjoyable to some people so the dev effort wasn't wasted. Hope that helps.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The biggest strength of the Hitman games is them being murder playgrounds: You try different approaches and explore the locations to experiment with your tools and disguises in order to take your targets out, none of which works if you have one shot to take out an elusive target. I dislike escalations as a format because they're limiting how a target has to be approached - "kill this guy, now do it again but only use this thing, now do it again but also never change disguises" is lovely and some of the restrictions are really bad (like having to constantly hold a weapon). There's also no saving so if you gently caress up 30 seconds before reaching the exit in a "don't be seen" escalation you do everything again from scratch. Criticism of escalations has been around since Hitman 1 (centered on their tedium of redoing almost the same thing 3-5 times, having really unfun restrictions, without being able to save).

I would be fine with the ET arcade just being a set of ETs you have to do in order, and if you fail you wait a few hours. But also having escalation mechanics like "must kill the target with only one disguise" or "no bodies must be found" makes the problem of following the one route that works even worse, since it rules out a lot of options in a mode that already limits how you can approach them. The fact that I can retry them in a day or w/e the lockout is doesn't change that.

E: Yeah Elusive Targets got started as part of the "live service" in the originally episodic Hitman 2016.

orcane has a new favorite as of 13:35 on Feb 10, 2022

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kitfox88 posted:

no they carry featurephones, totally different :eng101:
In GTA5 everyone has smartphones (the game is from 2013). Michael has an iPhone, Franklin's resembles a Samsung phone and Trevor uses a Windows phone with a busted screen.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Well that and the "haha isn't America stupid" attempts at humor that are often based on an over the top GW Bush version of the US, but before Tangerine Man.

Haha torture and waterboarding. Politicians suggesting arming everyone at schools. PMC and military hardware shooting up civilians inside the country. Wouldn't that be absurd or hilarious?

orcane has a new favorite as of 20:36 on Apr 17, 2022

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kitfox88 posted:

ghosting in AP is so loving difficult though god drat. G22 was fun tho
It's extremely easy with the magic stealth skill and annoyingly difficult without it :D

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The latest Tomb Raiders' hints didn't work for me either so I turned them off whenever possible (I think only the latest one lets you customize them). Either it's terribly useless: "Gotta get up there somehow", "gotta find a way to move this" - gee thanks, my problem is finding the gimmick to do that or actually making it across some dumb jumps and traps, not realizing what the challenge is in the first place. Repeating the hint every time I hit Batman vision to find a collectible isn't helping. In other places it spoils the puzzle the moment you walk into the dedicated tomb raiding room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

DOA6 has like 7 season passes.

Buying everything costs $900.
That really started with the F2P release of DoA5, but yeah.