Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Jia posted:

Sorry, FFX-2 exists.

FF12 is written XII in roman numerals. I'm sorry, I just have thing for automated battle systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Something I witnessed after 300 hours in MGSV:

"CP, I just saw a cardboard box move by itself. What should I do?"

"This is CP. Cut that out! Over!"

"...They don't believe me?"

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

So I was playing MGS4 again after many years and while MGS itself is Little Things: The Game, there are few things that always caught my eye:

When switching shoulder views, Snake simply switches the stock to his left shoulder while using right arm as the trigger. It's cool detail and actually has some real life applications.

The chase scene in chapter 3 while playing with lethal weapons is practically just an interactive cutscene. However during Non-Lethal Big Boss runs this becomes the hardest part in the entire game and you have to use numerous weapons and techniques such as MK2 reloading trick, auto-aim, manual aim, non-lethal shotgun, non-lethal grenades and exploding barrels for best results. It's the most well done scripted chase sequence I've ever played.

WaltherFeng has a new favorite as of 11:09 on Feb 27, 2016

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

MrJacobs posted:

So by this logic is virtua cop an interactive cutscene? Since the whole section is just a lightgun game on a pad, and its awesome lethal or non-lethal.

Actually that's not what I was referring to. If you go lethal in the chase scene, all you need to do is turn on the auto aim and hold the fire button. Because of the cinematic camera angles you won't be even looking at the things you're firing at.

While auto aim is still effective on non-lethal, you have to use it sparingly.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Veotax posted:

I think you just press square to toggle it on, it basically makes the shooting like MGS1-3. There's not really any reason to ever use it other than in the chase sequences so you can enjoy the fancy camera angles.

Peace Walker is the first mainline entry in the series that completely ditches the old auto-aim and goes over-the-shoulder only (or MGS5 if yoy don't count PW for some reason).

It does make aiming with the Stun Knife a lot easier. It's also really good against Laughing Octopus and Raging Raven.

Also, PW doesn't count because you can Auto Aim. You just need to enable it from the options

WaltherFeng has a new favorite as of 17:07 on Feb 27, 2016

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

MGSV would be so much better if you could pet a bear.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

In Bloodborne, if you look into the gun's barrel you can see the quicksilver bullet in the chamber.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

http://www.tentenpro.com/muni_shinobu/mg/

Some guy who has translated mgs info from various sources.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Now I have to download Tlou2 again because its one of the few shooters where guns look and feel really lethal.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Tumble posted:

What disappointed me in RE8 is that while all the modern RE games use the same engine, only RE:2make has that awesome awesome gore mechanic. I guess it's because Japan found most everything else okay but the zombies have too many chunkables in RE:2make so they toned it all down. It's such an awesome gore mechanic too.

It seems weird that fictional creatures coming apart was just... too much. Out of all the stuff the RE franchise has done, wiped out whole towns with horrible viruses, had people burst open and mutate into monsters, numerous people getting their arms cut off and all sorts of other terrible deaths and injuries, zombies reacting too much to gunfire is the line that cannot be crossed again.

It sucks too, because even though RE8 had more gunfire they enemies just don't really react and show damage much at all, they even did more in RE7. I don't like when games push visual fidelity so high but neglect to show bullets doing anything to bad guys or the environment.

I thought it was simply due to technical limitations. RE3make and RE8 have lots of enemies and they are running on last gen hardware. RE2 had only few enemies at a time and very few enemy types.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

credburn posted:

FFXIII has great music and super interesting art direction. The gameplay problems are what they are, but I felt they overshadowed the really cool parts of the experience.

XXIII-2 was haha wtf terrible in every way though. I mean, except you could put hats on monsters, that was cool.

Did nobody else play Type-0? That game had wonky gameplay and the English dub is unlistenable but wow what a hosed up and awesome setting/story/ending

Played it by importing the Japanese psp version because I'm an idiot.

It was really impressive back in the day for portable game.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

In Resident Evil 8, the rare cutscene outside of first-person view takes care to obscure main character Ethan's face. There's new DLC out that adds a third-person camera to the game, but if you try to see his face he always turns away before it's fully in view, despite the previous third-person games having freely rotatable cameras. I just appreciate their commitment to the bit, despite the fact that it's completely pointless since official character art exists and we already know exactly what Ethan's face looks like in all its blandness.

I'm pretty sure there's no "official art" of Ethan's face excluding his 3D model in Village which you can only see by hacking.

There's a lot of fan art which people mistake for official renders though.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Philippe posted:

I've actually been thinking about getting a :filez: version of Death Stranding, just to see how much of the multiplayer component is legit and how much is built into the game. I'm curious, because often there's a structure you need exactly where it makes sense.

I've played enough Dark Souls to know the community can be so dedicated they point every single secret in the game via the ingame messages you leave on the ground. Some people get creative and even point out useful exploits and tactics with it.

So the idea that there's this huge pool of players who know exactly what are the optimal places for structures doesn't seem unlikely.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Early in Ragnarok (this was around the 4 hour mark for me, shortly after you meet a guy named Durlin) you're attacked by a troll. Kratos easily dispatches it by cutting its head off in a cutscene though.

The 2018 God of War was criticized a bit for having a lack of variety in boss fights, including like 4 identical troll bosses.

I'm absolutely certain you fight more than 4 trolls.

WaltherFeng has a new favorite as of 20:00 on Nov 14, 2022

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Revengeance is a bit inconsistent because some sections can be stealthed while others are ranked so you shouldn't. It all comes down to knowing each level so you can just backstab everything that does not factor into your rank.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

DMZ mode in Modern Warfare 2 is crack for someone like me who loves games like MGSV and Ghost Recon.

The missions and objectives are varied and each round has random elements like loot, objective and enemy placements. There's both AI and enemy players so you pretty much always have to improvise depending on the situation. Not engaging with the enemy is often a valid choice.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

The only woman in the squad of elite mercs and of course her shirt is too small.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

grittyreboot posted:

I don't remember the sound the original Punisher made, but I don't think this one sounds very unique.

A thing I was worried about is knife durability. But repairing it is cheap and the game throws money at you.

Another thing I'm worried about is the added stealth mechanic. I'm just past the Del Lago fight and I hope there's no mandatory stealth sections.

Overall the game feels great and it changes enough so it feels like I'm playing RE4 for the first time again.

The only stealth that comes up later is "do you want to spare a bullet or two and stab this guy in the neck"

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Look at all these people who didnt immediately buy 999 spirit talismans in Sekiro they are dirt cheap early on.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Elden Ring's crafting system is terrible because everything requires a recipe and I've had at least one playthrough where I didn't have the sleeping potion recipe when I really could've used one.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

I hoarded my grenades in RE4R so that I could shove them in a big sack and throw it at the dual Garradors

There arent many encounters in RE4R that I would consider incredibly hard but this is one of them and I did the same because gently caress this room.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Games should have woke slider if you happen to have low tolerance for things like girls kissing.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

What was that game that's basically Metal Gear Rising but you are playing as a real scorpion.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Playing as bad people doing bad things owns because that's an experience is unique to video games.

I can't really put into words at 7:30 am.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

It's Escape from the City.

Hahaha got it right.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

This post/thread title combo is quite something.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

What does soft even do to living statues in practice.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

The hottest new category in Baldur's Gate 3 speedrunning is the sex % run, or how fast you can get a companion to sleep with the player character on a fresh save. They've already got it down to 2:13!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpY7NHj8FXg

I didn't even see any sex

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Debunk This! posted:

Torgal. That is all.

My 4 year old toddler loves Torgal and he wants to pet it all the time

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Armored Core 6 brought the most unexpected form of positive representation I think I've ever seen:

Mech parts specifically based on sports wheelchairs that are explicitly said to be popular with disabled soldiers, holy poo poo, that makes so much sense.

Kojima: A tank needs legs

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Sam is a bipedal nuclear device delivery system.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Kojima waited nearly 2 decades to complete that joke

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Perestroika posted:

Extremely minor thing, but I like that in Dragon's Dogma 2, if you're a fighter and just kinda hanging out, your character will casually rest their hand on their weapon's hilt. After so many games where the weapon is just kinda glued to your character's back or side, it's nice to have it feel like an actual physical object.

One of my favorite animation related things in Ghost of Tsushima is how Jin holds his hand on the scabbard while jogging to keep the sword steady.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Crowetron posted:

All my weapon choices in RE4 and most games are based on what looks cool. Stats are for nerds.

I used to think this then I played RE4make and god that spread on the regular shotgun is getting me killed on Professional mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Philippe posted:

Crouch walking is just one of the weird gameplay things you have to get over when playing a stealth game, like enemies forgetting where you are after ten seconds. It doesn't make you that much less visible, and it's hell on the knees and hips.

From MGS3 onward enemy sightlines are much improved and they can spot your head peeking over the wall. Changing your stance is something that's pretty crucial for a good stealth game imo.

MGS5 had excellent controls because all of this worked with a single button and you could go from high to low and vice versa while moving from cover to cover

WaltherFeng has a new favorite as of 09:49 on Apr 3, 2024