Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cleretic posted:

This only works if the series is still active at the time, though. If it's not, then you just piss people off with stuff like Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, Left Behind (which was a Front Mission game, not that you'd know), Metroid Prime Federation Force, or The Bureau: XCOM Declassified (although they announced Enemy Unknown soon after).

It doesn't even matter if the game is good--I think Nuts & Bolts' gameplay has been redeemed by history. If you revive a dormant franchise with a totally different genre, it doesn't go down well.

Oh, yeah, that's definitely a key thing. I loved Nuts and Bolts but that's because it was basically the best Lego game ever made, and had a janky enough physics engine to be the best kinds of exploitable.

I mean more like, settings where you play as what might be a NPC in the 'main' series with your own set of rules and genre trappings, it becomes all kinds of fun to solve problems from a completely different perspective while other characters still play by theirs. I think one of the best bits is that when you meet Zer0 you can choose to identify as a fellow Vault Hunter, which actually has a meaningful effect down the line.

OutOfPrint posted:

That's oddly close to how D&D came to be. The premise was to take the larger scale wargames Gygax and crew were playing and reduce them down to one character per person.

Yeah, a lot makes sense about D&D when you keep that in mind, including that 'wizards' were reskinned siege weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

christmas boots posted:

lmao that reminds me of this anime from the last decade where the whole thing was about collecting and destroy this set of legendary swords, and as they went farther the definition of "sword" got a little more stretched until the final and ultimate sword was actually a pair of pistols

The Dark Tower style?

One Piece also has a thing with swords so drat good they have names, and most of them tend to look like quite ordinary if well crafted katanas. (notable when the crew's resident swordsman uses three of them) Except for the one used by the world's greatest swordsman, Dracule Mihawk, which is a stereotypically anime gigantic cross-shaped dealio bigger than he is. Although when the afore mentioned characters first clash, Mihawk insists on using what looks like a particularly small cheese knife. (You guess who wins)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ookiimarukochan posted:

There's a bunch of circumstantial evidence (like the way that lots of things had the wrong name in Japanese, anything with a katakana name in the main series like "Chocobo" had a kanji name that's the term used in Chinese translations) that Square offshored most of it to China as a test. If so, the test failed, hard.

Reminded of how Nintendo apparently basically distributed the development of Metroid Prime 4 across a bunch of studios, and when they came to check on it saw it really wasn't working out and decided to restart development from scratch under Retro Studios, since they'd just finished with Tropical Freeze. Which honestly they probably should have just done in the first place anyway.

I'm reminded how I heard FFXI was made not really understanding at all how MMOs worked and having to basically learn every lesson the hard way.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Len posted:

The pomp is great and has jiggle physics

Someone needs to make a meme of jiggle physics applied to boobs<butt<accessories<hair

ed: i did that exactly the wrong way around that I meant to

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 09:27 on Sep 15, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Len posted:

Since Odyssey shits moons at me I can just leave a level without actually doing it's goal. Later seaside kingdom, I literally don't care about your water

I just love how you can wander off in a random direction and muck about and stumble on half a dozen moons.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

It was probably a lot easier for people to accept back then tbh. Just assume it’s enchanted fairy magic or something and no one would bat an eye at that explanation

I mean 'enchanted fairy magic' is basically the theme for SCP-type stuff.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Shiroc posted:

The first game to somehow sell a negative number of copies.

ET might have beaten you to it given how massively overproduced it was and most copies came back unsold or returned.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I remember in the biggest fights and the challenge modes in Arkham City, the weapon-breaking disarm move is your best friend because otherwise it's relatively easy to beat up one knife, gun or shield mook but then another one will pick it up. That might be one of the things that makes you really feel like Batman in those games- you have to fight smart.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Scaramouche posted:

middle Earth games have a similar thing but seem to mix it up pretty well, except for the DLC stuff on the recent ones where your tactics are limited to the character you're playing.

I do like that unlike Arkham, dealing with special enemy types isn't just 'dodge and disarm' but having to actually use different methods and attacks- shield orcs you can attack head on to break the shields but need to dodge their attacks, while berserkers will counter your attacks but are vulnerable to your counters in turn. (the instant-kill counter is one of the best skills in the game)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Reminds of of Saint's Row The Third; the Boss voice you choose (out of seven, including an incoherent zombie grunt iirc) will have different lines, and responses from the other characters, for nearly every conversation... even the ones where the Boss is impersonating the STAG commander, using their voice actor, but has entirely different lines fitting to the personality of the voice you've chosen. One of the male Boss voices will hit on his second in command, while one of the female ones will talk about Pierce who she's clearly attracted to.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tiggum posted:

I've always wondered, whenever I saw one of those "don't turn your computer off while this symbol is on-screen" messages, what would cause a person to lose all reason and suddenly switch their computer off. A 45-minute cutscene would probably do it.

I mean you'd think, but never ever underestimate how stupid people are with anything computer related.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Demons are barely capable of fighting threats against themselves without turning on each other for friendly fire, you really think they'd be able to manage that?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pretty sure that's just a Maine Coon. Or however you spell it. They're the dogs of cats.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BioEnchanted posted:

I think my favourite legendary in pokemon games (that I've played, many later gens I never got far enough to meet the legendaries in) is actually the Unknown species, because they are just weird. All the other legendaries are forces of nature embodied as animals, which is fine, but after a while it blends together. "Oh, fire bird, a fire dog, a psychic bird. Nice, whatever" but the Unknown are bizarre oddities that may be a living ancient language. There are millions of them, they are weak as hell with weird attacks that don't make much sense without looking up how they work and they are purely there as some ancient living puzzle. That's way more interesting to me.

i'm just replaying red and it's been bringing a lot of memories of Gold back. I never beat anything after and including Ruby/Sapphire, so I'm trying to remedy that.

There's a bit of really wild fluff by implication with them in the mythos, especially some implied connection to Arceus, (the 'mysterious signal' in the Ruins of Alph sounds a like like Arceus' rarely used battle theme) and the freaky-deaky special event cutscene in Heart Gold/Soul Silver. (which uses said Arceus theme)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sun and Moon I think had the right idea that the main antagonist for most of the game are a gang of delinquents and outcasts who do genuinely bring up issues with what's flawed about the setting of Pokemon in general and Alola in particular; what happens when ten year olds aren't as freakishly gifted with Pokemon as the player character and fail the traditional rites of passage. (something that I think resonates with a lot of the playerbase) Team Skull are pretty beloved in general for good reasons. (see also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lpqobFsotQ)

And the main antagonist being head of something like a Pokemon equivalent of the Red Cross, where most of the organisation is genuinely unaware of her
crazy poo poo and crimes against nature
is certainly quite a swerve.

Always wondered what the gently caress is up with Po Town. It's surrounded by massive steel walls, has a digitally locked entrance and is filled with abandoned mansions.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I always have a soft spot for Team Galactic because you realise they're basically a thinly veiled Cthulhu cult.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Captain Hygiene posted:

In AC Odyssey if you stab a chicken (they're level 23 right now, they can take a hit), all the chickens around you will get pissed and start attacking you. And they're not ineffective, it's surprisingly quick to die by chicken.

Now that's just a Zelda reference.

CJacobs posted:

I feel team magma and aqua aren't really that bad because when they've awakened the legendary and the chips are down they both explicitly tell your character "look, this is no place for a kid, this is not a fun romp with your friends anymore, you should probably just go home before you get yourself and all your pets killed"... And then they really do just leave to go do their business elsewhere without saying where they're going. You have to figure out where they went on your own.

Despite being crazy weirdos who want to and totally have the means to cause the end of the world, at least both leaders recognize that yes, their goal is in fact an extremely adult matter and children really shouldn't be involved in it. They at least understand the magnitude of what they each want to accomplish and that it will bring massive destruction either way. Not that that's really fair to anyone not part of teams aqua or magma but at least they have some scruples.

Makes a lot of sense given while ecoterrorists, both of them consider themselves to be the good guys and want to make things better, even if their ideas are crazy and dumb.

Team Plasma are weird, but there's some interesting nuance to them even beyond just Pokemon PETA. That their apparent leader is a completely dysfunctional weirdo because he was specifically raised to be one, and it becomes obvious to him eventually that he's undermining his own goals as a result.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Makes a lot of sense given iirc it's the same Ganon every game. Being basically immortal/reincarnating probably gives you a different perspective on time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The F-Zero games, for whatever reason, give all of their characters superhero physiques. Every single male character looks like they could bench-press a train.

Except the fat dudes, the kid and the old guy. And the skeleton. And those fat and skinny aliens.

Though a couple of characters are literal superheroes or supervillains.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

christmas boots posted:

The real reason Doomguy and Metroid don't talk is because they sound like Fran Drescher and Gilbert Gottfried respectively

So what's Master Chief sound like

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Seems like that ties in well with Spider-verse, which makes a big deal about Miles being made to change to a magnet school is seriously uprooting him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Spider-man, Spider-man, my cat is also named Spider-man

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Push El Burrito posted:

2 hours of story told over 4 weeks of play time.

That's just a JRPG.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cleretic posted:

Jonathan was a gift from Squirrel Girl, who assumed that Wolverine's powerset included the ability to speak to wolverines. Because of course it would; she's Squirrel Girl because she can talk to squirrels, and Spider-Man has definitely talked to spiders in the past.

Spidey has admitted the spiders have never talked back, mind.

Though there was a great bit where faced with a hostage situation he declares he's summoning thousands of spiders, and causes them to surrender

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Turpitude II posted:

say what you will about pokemon sword and shield, but it gave you the ability to wave a feather on a stick in front of, AND play fetch with, every pokemon creature in existence.

That's been a thing since X and Y gave it a name that deserves credit: Pokemon'Amie

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Riatsala posted:

So I play XCOM 2 Long War a lot and complain about it even more in the other topic, but there's an (unintended) feature that never fails to make me laugh. One of the newly added enemy units is a water melon sized drone that wanders around the map looking for xcom rebels to taze. What's funny is that even outside of combat they completely disregard windows and simply fly right through them with a dramatic crash and glass flying everywhere. The mundane terror of being a civilian in an ADVENT city, living in mostly glass buildings designed by the same aliens that regularly deploy window-breaking drones is a very amusing thought to me :allears:

This isn't far off how the later game units by default will smash through scenery and buildings while on a patrol completely unaware of XCOM.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

moosecow333 posted:

You couldn’t pet the cats in Metal Gear Rising Revengence but you can try and cut them up with your sword and watch them dance around your blade.

Though now that I think about it you never get the chance to pet Blade Wolf either...

There's a gag where the little girl gets Blade Wolf to shake, and Raiden fails at it and briefly goes Ripper Mode because of it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ruffian Price posted:

Graphics options being "Good/Bad/Ugly" in West of Loathing was a great little gag. Too bad about the dev

That really should have been in Red Dead.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I remember that whole cel-shaded look got a ton of flak when it first became a thing, mostly from Wind Waker, but goddamn has it aged so much better than the browntastic 'realistic' look that was favoured over it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Joey Freshwater posted:

It’s been brought up here before but one of my favorite moments was that side quest where the woman is a huge bitch to you and at the end of the quest she’s stood right at the edge of the cliff.

They 100% did that so you could boot her rear end off

I'm reminded of how quite a few scripted sequences in the latest Hitman games in particular end up putting targets in hilariously apropos places to push them off a cliff or such, often with famous last words to go with it. Not that you can't find plenty of your own opportunities.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tiler Kiwi posted:

So I finally have been playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild after everyone else on earth, and I gotta say, I'm a fan of the Soldier's Helmet.

Its a sallet style design, but the visor looks to be more an aesthetic, faux visor than one that actually comes down; its instead molded with a nasal guard and rounded for better vision. Its got the right kind of exaggeration for a video game design but its still a rather nice bit of storytelling in itself; its clearly an evolving design with intentional aesthetic holdovers, and a lot of ornate styling to fit with the idea of it being the armor from some golden era (the big loving crest being a nice touch) while still aiming to be a practical set of gear. Plus I like sallets. They're cool. I'd have wanted an actual visor but I guess heroes can't have visors due to contractual obligations.

The rest of the Soldier's Set kit is... eh.

It isn't as bad as other fantasy stuff but it does a lot of the same style of mistakes that other fake armor does; the faulds are too low, the tassets are to the side (and inexplicably the rear) instead of the front, and its kind of negligent in protecting some areas (tho I get why they didn't just slap chain in the armor gaps since it'd be visually kind of dull instead of having colored stuff in there). The gorget having that v-neck collar look is definitely the sort of pointless design flair that'd get you killed tho; you probably don't want a big hole right where your throat is. I'd have argued over the boots as well being really loving chunky looking but that's there to sell it to players as being The Most Well Armored Set In The Game as such so yeah. Its at least vaguely functional and more aimed at matching a specific period style armor instead of just being a slapdash set of overly ornate junk and the chunky look does give it a distinct silhouette and blah blah blah yes its okay. Aside from the tasset thing I can say the designers were thinking about actually making it look like an actual tool for battle with the needed flair to fit into a zelda game instead of an avenue to make the world's biggest, stupidest pauldrons so I can respect that. I'm a kind of a loving stickler about lovely looking fake arms in media so if I'm not spitting in absolute disgust and fury at a kit its probably okay.

Am I the only one getting Robocop vibes from this? The exposed chin and thin slit visor.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

I just realized Sparta Kicking angry chickens is as valid strategy in Odyssey as it is in real life. Sadly you can't subsequently recruit them to your ship crew though.

You're lucky you didn't try this in Zelda.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

The whole experience is what I imagine it must be like to get drunk dialed by aliens.

Now that's a story pitch I wanna see.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm a little late to the party on Breath of the Wild, but goddamn, it actually lives up to the hype and hooks me when I'm not usually into Zelda games nor open-world combat-oriented Ubisoft type stuff, though it feels like each balances out the worst excesses of the other. Plus a big world that's actually quite well designed, and you're gonna run into something interesting no matter where you go for the most part.

Got an almost Subnautica esque sense of sheer awe encountering both the whale skeletons and the live dragons, and was pretty amazing to see where you can see one of each in the same place. And you can see the dragons having left physical marks on the terrain at times- the massive trench on top of the Gerudo Highlands made me think 'yep, a dragon did this' and lo and behold not long after I saw the dragon flying through it, and it looks like all the windmills in the northwestern canyon were probably but there to take advantage of the high winds the other dragon kicks up as it flies through.

Akkala is also interesting because it's not often you have a region where people in it admit that it's basically the boonies where not a lot happens. (though they're not necessarily right, especially since that's where the town-building sidequest takes place)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Zero Punctuation made the joke, but still love that Yakuza Like A Dragon abbreviates to LAD. Because you are a right Yakuza lad.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I still reckon a huge part of Halo's charm that very few of its imitators (saying a lot considering it basically defined the next console generation) even tried to copy; the variety of enemies, each with its own signature weapons, behaviour, personality and role.

Sally posted:

well, not weird to us, sure. we're human. wasn't the whole point in Halo that the Covenant deemed human weapons filthy and beneath them? i thought there was a bunch of lore stuff about Elites fighting bare-handed because they refused to sully themselves with human guns. that the Brutes have no qualms with it is something that makes other Elite side-eye them.

Thing is that Elites are basically Klingons, they even have trouble post-schism because they'd been so used to being the Covenant's elite caste that they'd outsourced non-combat social roles elsewhere apparently, while Brutes seem to be more practically minded. Covenant tech is a bit all over the place because they don't actually understand it, and some human stuff is better or at least more well understood and fulfils roles their own stuff doesn't- iirc, their ship AIs are actually just pirate copies of human AIs with literal religious dogma added.

Apparently, the Brutes in particular are also one of the most recent additions to the Covenant, and had a more or less 21st century technology level but were also recovering from their own nuclear war. So they're still getting used to the new tech paradigm the Covenant uplifted them with, and haven't had the time to develop and optimise weapons specifically suited to their own strengths and preferred styles of combat, but human technology is presumably closer to what they're familiar with. They're also primate-analogues like humans, being basically killer space gorillas.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Jeza posted:

I remember very fondly a time when ragdoll physics was really gaining traction in gaming, and I think it was Unreal Tournament 2003 or 4 where there was this...deathball kind of game where you had to dunk a ball through a hoop. Dystopian future basketball essentially. And a lot of the levels had absurdly deep pits full of metal bars in them around the goals, so when you scored (you died instantly after scoring iirc) your ragdoll corpse would bounce limply down the hole from bar to bar making hilariously OTT sickening bone crunching noises for a solid 30 seconds.

Truly a great little thing in a game.

Physics engines are one of those things that games just never stopped having fun with and for good reason. Even Breath of the Wild plays with it a lot, and that's from Nintendo, who normally have very tight design.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cleretic posted:

I respect the angle of deciding to make the game a sequel to Doom 64 of all things... but it's a VERY weird angle. That would be like making the new Elder Scrolls a sequel to Battlespire.

Makes sense mind since Doom 64 is the one that actually followed up on the story and gave some sort of closure.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SubNat posted:

The "I'm JD, elite COG soldier... And a secret omega?!?" webtoon ran for 150 chapters and was very popular in korea.

Yeah it's super garbage. Probably a society technologically advanced enough that they could just have cloning programs, or whatever. (Were the locust not created because of one? I can't remember.)
But no, some writers insisted they had to have rapefarms.

Karen Traviss is notorious for some reaaal lovely licensed fiction that she somehow keeps getting hired to write.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IIRC Nintendo tried to make MP4 with a decentralised team and predictably it wasn't working out to their standards, so they were up front about binning it and giving it to Retro. They're making an effort to assuage a fanbase who are used to Nintendo abandoning stuff that isn't Mario or Zelda.