Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The difference between this and other games with online that dies is that this is actually good, so the online will not die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

How the gently caress is there so much fan art for this game already? :psyduck:

Fetishes.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Thanks Internet posted:

Videos of the game are starting to get uploaded, here's 2 from a new map shown, first with the mode shown at E3, Turf War

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7q7FyFC_rA

Seeing this footage of the roller gives me high hopes for each weapon being unique and effective in a balanced way. The roller was really good at getting a consistent and big amount of ink everywhere, but he could never actually fight anyone head on. Despite that, it still looked really fun, especially sneaking up behind people and just running them over. I like seeing that; having each weapon be a different but fun way of playing is a reason that I'd play this game for a long time.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

elf help book posted:

I don't believe Nintendo rumors.

Imagine if even one of them were true...!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'm going to pick turquoise.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Add a poll immediately for #teamcat or #teamdog

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I want only the squid amiibo because his missions involve going through levels as the kraken and thats badass.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I wanna play as the kraken :D

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I used motion controls the whole time and kicked rear end. Went 10-0 with the stock splattershot one game. :cool:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

raditts posted:

The D-pad has two communication macros. One is "C'mon" to get teammates' attention to your area, and the other is "Booyah!" to lord your victory over your recently fallen enemies.

Thats all I need

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ohtsam posted:

It's impressive that the netcode is so good considering that in addition to enemy position and where they're firing, the game also has to keep track of and send where the ink is.

I got splatted by a couple players a good two seconds after i killed them so laggy stuff like that can still happen.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

God DAMM we still have to wait 20 more days........

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

surf rock posted:

Alright, finally caught one of the demo periods and this game is pretty rad. Decision to buy Wii U for Splatoon last year: validated.

Some thoughts/questions:

- I think I'm going to need a lot more than an hour to get used to the gyro camera. I kept getting in weird viewing angles and then pressing Y before I actually reset, so it didn't help. I kind of hope there's an alternative control scheme where I can use the other control stick for the camera, if I can't figure this one out.

- I have no idea what the charge abilities do, except the shield. What the hell was the roller's ability supposed to do, is that a kill move?

- Is it possible for a roller to take down a shield? Didn't seem like it.

- I couldn't figure out how the hell the super jump worked.

- I'm partial to the rifle and roller. The pistol was decent, but I wasn't great at it, and I couldn't figure out the sniper rifle for the life of me.

- This was probably the smoothest online experience I've ever had with Nintendo. Lagged just once for a few seconds over the half hour. No mid-game disconnections. Every game except one had full parties on both sides. A couple of networking errors while trying to join a match, but it worked on the second try every time.

- Man, the first 30-45 seconds of each match is crucial.

- I wonder how many maps the final game will have?

- There's nothing more satisfying than painting around the bad guy's spawn point. I lost more often than not, but my team loving crushed it one match.

- Rad as gently caress.

-There is an option to use the other stick for aiming.

-The roller's ability is the big wail screeching thing, and that just kills anyone caught in the sound wave. The other special weapons were just temporary infinite bombs, either the small ink bombs or the big ink grenades.

-The shield seems to be completely invincible.

-The super jump works by tapping a teammate's icon on the map on the gamepad. You will automatically jump super high to the location they were at when you tapped them.

- Me too.

-Yeah it was pretty good. There was only one game that had a laggy player who killed me a few seconds after I killed him, and his paint didnt show up until a few paces behind him (he was a roller)

-yeah

-5, with more to be added

-I found that this happened more often in the walleye warehouse than saltspray rig. The games that were total stompings always happened on WW.

-Hell yeah!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Does anyone else remember the 90s in this thread?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

mr.capps posted:

i would watch splatoon as esport

I'm going to participate.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

its sold out

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Spacebump posted:

I hope the full version of this lets you switch weapons between rounds.

They haven't said for certain but I don't think you can. They only have two maps in rotation at any given time so you know what maps you're getting into, and you just have to pick your loadout based on that beforehand.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Cabbagepots posted:

Christ, this makes Splatoon the second game of theirs with a post-apocalyptic setting (other one being Pikmin). Nintendo's venturing into dark territory, they might be making T-rated games pretty soon.

Pikmin takes place on an alien planet though? How is that post-apocalyptic?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Cabbagepots posted:

The planet is constantly stated to be Earth, as evidenced by the fact that the Hocotatians keep finding human garbage and salvaging it as treasure, like bottle caps, batteries and toys. Miyamoto also says that it's an Earth where humans are extinct.

I was going to jokingly argue against it being earth but if Miyamoto actually said it was canon then gently caress it

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'm just gonna fuckin say it. Super Mario RPG is NOT canon.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Wait this game doesn't have lobbies? lmao

Did you not watch the direct last week?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The game is up on the eshop right now for preorder/preloading. It's only like 2.5 gigs too.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

youcallthatatwist posted:

What do I do if I have a cat and a dog?????

You have to make your choice. I have a cat and she is good, but I will choose team dog every time. #KrocTheVote

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Silentman0 posted:

It's a game where fish children shoot paint at each other.

Squid aren't fish.

It's like calling a dolphin a fish.... get some knowledge before you post these things man.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Inkling Girl: "Squidball"
Inkling Boy: "Squid Racer"
Squid: "Squid Beatz"

Amiibo stuff starts at 29mins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQsZPYB0vMw

Of course the minigame I'm most interested in comes from the 3-pack exclusive amiibo.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I think I speak for all of Team Dog when I say that we do not support octopi and Regy Rusty is not representative of the general consensus of Team Dog members

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The drat game wont connect to the internet for me!!!!!!!!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'm giving up.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Babysitting a team of rollers with the splattershot jr isn't as bad as you'd expect.

I got 11 kills and 2 deaths, highest points on both teams. Got two horrible chargers on our team with less than 300 points at the end and we get destroyed.

Splattershot is the best weapon but the shield is too good to not use splattershot jr.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

homeless snail posted:

Please everyone turn off the motion controls... so it will be easier for me to cover you in paint.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Spacebump posted:

A team full of rollers can't do anything if someone spawn camps and they are all 4 respawning. Can't wait to see hilarious tactics in ranked play in a few months.

on the first day a team of 4 rollers was unstoppable... now its basically the worst team setup you could have

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

one roller, two splattershot jrs, and one either splattershot or charger if the charger is good is probably the best team setup. i would know, as I'm now a professional splatoon player, and I've made the official tier list too.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

This game is gonna own.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Jarogue posted:

Full pic

:worship:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

EBA/ouendan is the best rhythm game series of all time and lets leave it at that.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Sorry europeans, I couldn't help it.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

someone make a new splatoon thread when the game comes out

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

mr.capps posted:

quote this post if you plan on playing professionally

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

When I make the new thread this weekend, should I title it "Goons in Splatoons"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

codenameFANGIO posted:

If someone is really going to make a new thread it should be by like tomorrow afternoon at the latest, what with the midnight launch and all.

I'll be too busy playing the game to do it.

• Locked thread