Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Also, I tried it without gyro aim for exactly one round before deciding that was absolutely not going to work.
Same here. I thought I would hate the gyro aim but it's actually pretty helpful for a game that involves this much interaction with the environment.

I played with a couple of the guns for a few rounds before I tried the roller, and I'm probably never going back. I love that the roller makes a shooter like this accessible to people like me who are pretty crap at shooters but still like to play them every once in a while. Plus, painting! So awesome.

After just a few rounds I started to get really annoyed at people who, after respawning, RAN back to an area to paint instead of swimming through the ink to get there more quickly. Gah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
I, for one, am glad they released a demo for Splatoon. I was on the fence about the game before, but now I am dying to get it on release.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
It's live! GO GO GO

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
So this global demo was for testing Squid Jump, right?

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Ronnie posted:

Lets all discuss how great it will be to play this game.

What do you mean "will be"? You can play Squid Jump right now

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
If anyone's tired of Squid Jump, the tutorial is still playable from the weapon select screen.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
Aw man, of course people start being able to connect when I get up to go to the bathroom.

Lesson learned: never pee again.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

jiv jov tryin to get a amiibeezy

thank you for making all of the previous nonsense worth it

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
My Target didn't have the squirt guns, so I asked for a rain check and instead they offered to lower the price of the game by the cost of the squirt gun. Their inventory listed that thing for 12.99! So I basically got my game + the girl inkling Amiibo (an impulse buy) for just the cost of the game. :D

Question, though -- the Amiibo-unlocked challenges are making me use the Splattershot. I hate the Splattershot. Am I stuck using it in all the challenges forever and ever or will it stick me with a new weapon the next time I tap my new toy to the gamepad?

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Crasical posted:

Thaaat makes sense. Sort of. Good enough.

I believe the Amiibo challenges are weapon-specific. Inkling girl is charger, Inkling guy is roller, Squid is limited-ink and kraken-mode.

Oh noooo that's a bummer!

Oh well. On the bright side, I am getting experience with a weapon I would've otherwise avoided forever. And I'm generally a roller user so the aiming practice isn't so bad either.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Dunban posted:

Does anyone know if you can get the sunken scrolls in the amiibo levels as well if you missed them in the regular levels?

You can't. I missed one in one level and after I finished it I immediately went into the Amiibo version of the level; the box the scroll was in just gave me those orange ball things.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Eej posted:

Someone's gotta give me some tips on how to play this game not using a Roller. The only blaster I've had success with is the .52 gal and everything else has been miserable.

Play more of the single-player campaign; it's good practice.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

codenameFANGIO posted:

You can get a bonus once every time they change the maps, so about every four hours.

Not only this, but I believe your bonus status resets to zero when the maps change. This morning I was going to exit the lobby and get my bonus, but the maps changed RIGHT as I was going to do so and I went back to 0.0. :argh:

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Maybe if people complain about this enough they'll patch it in??

I hope not. People will take forever to reconfigure their stuff and everyone else will have to wait for them. I much prefer having the battles start up again quickly.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
I can confirm that you can get a "daily" bonus every time the maps rotate out. Just got my second 1400 SO HAWT bonus of the day.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

skeletronics posted:

I really like that the 1 minute left music is so ingrained now that you can tell how much time is left kind of instinctively by the sound of it.

Me too! :3

One of my other favorite things about this game is that the ink shooting mechanic is so new to everyone that it's been amazing to see people's strategy develop en masse as we all unlock and discover things and talk about them on the Internets. A couple hours after I read here about the strategy of using that huge ink blaster thing (sorry, forgot the name, but it's that huge cyclone thing), I started seeing it in almost every match, and often near spawn points. We're all figuring out this game at the same time and it's added another dimension of fun to it! Plus, we still have more game modes and maps coming -- the community feel of this game is going to last a long time for me. I love it. I normally play games that are generally standard, singular experiences and this one is so different from that in so many ways. It's amazing.

However I am glad most people I've encountered haven't been hiding in walls waiting to ambush people. I would be fine with that strategy not catching on...

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
I am now part of the "beat the final boss" club and everyone is right -- it was amazing and epic and all of those adjectives that sound like exaggerations normally but in this case are 100% on the mark (and maybe even inadequate, actually).

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Drastic Actions posted:

^^^^

Yeah, but you can do it as you go. Not hang back and let them take the middle.

Especially if they are not rollers and they try this poo poo. :argh:

Ughhhh I hate it when I've got a roller and non-rollers are trying do to the starting area. It's like, dudes, I GOT THIS. GO AWAY

dragon enthusiast posted:

I still think one major change they ought to make is to ink a portion of your home base by default at the start of the game.

No way, I love that these are easy points and that some people straight out ignore inking that part of the map. It's enough to win a really close match.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Guys, guys, I unlocked the Aerospray MG yesterday and oh my god! :swoon:

It's the first time I've switched weapons and haven't wished I was still using the Krak-On roller! That thing is sick. I have been scoring much higher with it than I ever did with the roller. I had three games, three where I was the top scorer in the game. That has never happened to me before! I'm lucky if I can break 600 points. I'm sold. This thing is my jam.

I was also a Krak-On roller devotee until I took a chance on the fancy gold Aerospray RG. My second match with it I scored 1226, a personal best! :D

Then I bought that fancy gold roller I got access to after beating single-player -- I was so excited for an awesome roller that I didn't test it. IT SUCKS. Back to the Aerospray RG!

I even tried my old roller pal again and I just don't enjoy it like I used to.

oopsie rock fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 4, 2015

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Cuckoo posted:

Also if I loving hate FPS games, will Splatoon appeal to me? Although one big personal problem with most FPSes was the modern gritty brown and gray Shoot-The-Browns crap most of them have going on, controls wise, they just never appealed to me either.

Well, there's gotta be something about the game that appeals to you. Is there anything that seems interesting? At the very least, if you were the type of kid who colored every square inch of every page of your coloring book, then grab a roller and join the neon party!

One of the things about FPSes I hate the most is that I can't aim with any sort of precision. The good news with this game is that aiming at other players is secondary to aiming at basically everything else in the game, so I can flail about with my controller and miss every opponent who crosses my path and STILL do amazingly well during turf wars because I can move quickly and cover a lot of the floor.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
Don't forget that you can still use the right stick for horizontal camera movement when you're using gyro controls. It helps when you need to orient yourself so you don't have to wave the gamepad all over the place.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Yeah I actually tried this technique to escape a pursuer on the back of Saltspray last night and it seemed to work well. It also refills your paint gauge faster than you burn it so there's that going for you too.

This is exactly why I switched from the Krak-On Roller to the Aerospray RG -- with the roller it's too easy to just roll roll roll and then run out of ink, but with the Aerospray I'm spraying, squidding, jumping up and spraying and then squidding again. I rarely run out of ink this way, and plus it makes it easy to just poop out mines all over the place because my ink is usually full right after I squid.

oopsie rock fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 4, 2015

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

So is it me or is the Paint roller overpowered? I'm guessing once you hit ranked play, people know how to counteract it?

Rollers can be slow to deploy and they can make movement awkward/slow, too. Every weapon has its pros and cons and the roller is no exception.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Well tbf "pros and cons" can easily just be cargo cult tummyfeels design like anything else, like in Smash where the big/slow characters are almost always bad but this is generally handwaved as "they do more damage so of course they're slow" even if speed is a lot more important than doing an extra 4% off your jab. The Aerospray has pros and cons - The game even explicitly tells you them via Sheldon when you unlock it - but that doesn't stop it from being almost certainly the strongest general purpose weapon in the game.

I don't know, I think everything is pretty balanced. You can splat people pretty easily with the roller, but splatting the other team isn't the primary purpose of the game. And you can cover turf pretty easily with it but at the cost of agility.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Silentman0 posted:

I played my first dozen or so rounds in Splat Zones and wow, I wasn't expecting the scoring system to be pretty much all or nothing. You either get twice the score you get in normal games, or you get nothing. Of course, the games are way more fun, so bonuses all around.

It's only all or nothing in a knockout. I've been in quite a few matches where neither team is fully in control at the end of the match, and we each get something. Think it might be when a match goes into overtime? It's hard to tell because it's so chaotic...

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The problem is that some buffs are not. There's a reason a lot of people are sporting gas masks. (Tenacity is not a poo poo buff)

And Stealth Jump is pretty awesome in Splat Zone play.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Caerulius posted:

That's mostly because the tower mode doesn't exist yet.

Do we know when it's coming?

Also, what's the next thing that's opening up? The Cat Domination event, right?

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Anidav posted:

I think the option to change weapons inbetween deaths in ranked should be an option. You have no way of telling what your teammates are carrying before the game starts and if it's poo poo and you're going up against Krack-on's, Aerosprays and all sorts of l33t hellguns, Nintendo should atleast let you change your weapon when you die so you can counterpick in real time.

What's the point of switching weapons to better align with your team if the teams just get shuffled every round anyway?

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Anidav posted:

Kracken roller is too universally good.

hey you misspelled aerospray RG

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Maide posted:

If you're having troubles with the controls, playing the single-player really helped me master them. It gets you really comfortable playing the game in lower-stress situations than online, and also forces you to basically do every type of control/movement at different points. I noticed a significant improvement in how I played after doing the first 12 levels.

Same for me. Also, I use gyro most of the time but I end up using the right stick for horizontal camera movement a lot to reorient myself, and at least for me it's nice that it's not also vertical because that's usually what makes me so inept with shooters. The gyro is an awesome alternative. Plus it reminds me of when I would wave around NES controllers when I was 10 as though it would actually make a difference during gameplay, except now it does!

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
I'm using tilt controls!

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Szmitten posted:

Kinda wish there was a massive database where I could search for loadouts by sub-weapon or special.

The guide has this info decently organized and it's only $10 on Amazon. But it doesn't mention weapons like the paintbrush or anything beyond Splatfest, though it does have a code for a mobile version that might get these updates? EDIT: Yes, mobile version is getting updates as new features are rolled out.

I normally don't get guides but this one was cheap and it's fun to look at.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
So how much did that Amiibo 3-pack sell for? I have the girl, but I suddenly want the other two and I want to know how much I'd be getting gouged for if I decide to buy from a dirty, dirty reseller.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

$35 retail, looks like scalpers are asking for twice that. :argh:

Also look at all the ebay sales for "empty amiibo case" :what:

Thanks, dudes.

In my area I see them going for $50-60, but I need to think about whether I want to pay that much for two figures I want and a third that I would have to sell out of box since I already have one.

Should've just bought the 3-pack when I saw it last week. I thought I was being frugal but I guess I was just being an idiot.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Deceptive Thinker posted:

^^ check your nearest Toys R Us

I heard that they got more stock than other places, but I live in an area with a high concentration of nerds. Do you think I'd still have a chance of getting the 3-pack?

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Spacebump posted:

Did anyone else here think the last boss went on a little bit too long?

Only the first time, because I was learning his attacks and I had trouble landing all three hits in a row to that giant tentacle thing in order to progress the battle forward. After I died a few times I knew everything well enough that I blazed through it.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Anidav posted:

Can you plant multiple mines?

Nope, one at a time.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

internet celebrity posted:

Is there a way to change weapons in single player? I keep seeing people talk about fighting bosses with rollers and squelchers and I can't find any option for it.

They're talking about amiibo challenges.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
I tested the inkbrush and thought it was amazing. I tried it in battle and I thought it was crap. I'll probably try it again eventually so I can figure out a better strategy for it, but for now I'm sticking with my usual.

First time I saw an opponent flick the brush around like mad I nearly died laughing. It makes the character look so goofy!

Also, I'm in NA and can't see Japan's chosen faction on their shirts. They all look like the same gray shirt. Didn't see a voting booth in my plaza yet; guess it unlocks tomorrow morning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

NA and EU splatfests are coming later this month. NA question is if you prefer cats or dogs, and EU is pop or rock music.

Edit: Whoops, bit late. Also, huh, that's an interesting way of handling it, the grey shirt thing.

Oh oops, I am thinking of the wrong date because my calendar has too many weeklong things on it this month. Voting should open a week from tomorrow, I think, for the NA Splatfest on 6/20.

• Locked thread