Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

What the hell. I was absolutely sure that Alison destroying the wall would gently caress up Patrick, leading to an arc where she realizes that using force to make people do things is wrong (hello, spoiled rich kid's wealthy, well-connected, and likely vengeful family!), but apparently not. I loved the bulk of this comic up until now, but I'm probably going to drop it if things don't improve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

PetraCore posted:

There was a character like this in Worm where his power was everyone saw him as harmless and friendly no matter what he did. Extremely OP.
he was one of the greatest monsters of all time, because Worm is :emo:

say what you like about Strong Female Protagonist, it's still miles ahead of Worm

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

tomorrow, Patrick will kill his parents (in his mind) and it'll all be Allison's fault! the comic will redeem itself!! this is going to happen!!!

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

This comic is never going to recover, is it :cripes:

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

PetraCore posted:

My take is that Patrick is pissed that his soft buttered pasta dad enabled the poo poo his mom did to him because he was too blinded by watered down alfredo sauce and a pinch of salt. He doesn't just want to kill his dad, he wants his dad to die knowing that he married a monster and that he didn't notice because he's a loving idiot.

However, that would be if this was competently written. either this is all going to be skipped over and ignored because motive what motive or Patrick is going to sadly relate to Allison how sad he is about his abuse, abuse which makes people sad. There's never going to be a realistic psychological depiction of trauma in this comic, and nobody is ever going to point out how Clevin and Allison mirror Patrick's parents.

Have people forgotten that all this stuff is taking place in his head? Nobody is actually dying, here (reader excluded).

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Joe Slowboat posted:

It's meant to be a memory, this all happened at some point.
What, so he actually killed his father? Jesus. If Alison doesn't throw him in jail once the dream sequence ends, I will lose all faith in this comic (not that I had much left).

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Who What Now posted:

He didn't kill his father, his mom did. I know the actions are poorly conveyed but come on.

Serene Dragon posted:

lmao if you really think Patrick didn't know exactly what his mother would do when handed a knife and that ultimatum.
He took a course of action of which he had reason to believe would result in his father's death—and it did. He killed his father.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Breetai posted:

Uuuuugh

uuuugh

He's going to read her mind, realize that she is immensely proud of his super-villainy, and the notion that such a sick and twisted psychopath would approve of his actions will be the breaking point that turns him into a 'good' guy.
nooooooooooooooooo

I hate this webcomic

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

a webcomic is not a paper comic and should never be paced like one. how has the author of this six-year-old webcomic not figured that out :psyduck:

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

pospysyl posted:

This old man is NOT sitting right with me. Notice how he hasn't dignified Patrick with a proper name anymore. He's just "the psychic." Like how sometimes Lex Luthor called Superman "the alien."
are you trying to discuss the contents of SFP in the SFP thread? that's a bold move

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I don't know why people keep popping in to declare Molly Ostertag is a talented person with good taste enslaved in some kind of bizarre genie pact to make bad comics by the evil man solely responsible for everything bad about them, including the art
I don't think anyone has said, will say, or is saying that

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Brought To You By posted:

Why they speak.

In such way.

Short phrases.

Such a pain.
the ominous dialogue is actually pretty decent; nobody would be complaining about it if it wasn't in Strange Flailing Plotlines

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Nah, the suit man was just using full sentences one page ago. Having them suddenly start speaking in this clipped speech makes no sense and comes across as dumb. This sounds better.
I mean, a page ago they were trying to act like normal people in front of another normal person. Assuming they find clipped speech more comfortable, it makes perfect sense for them to begin using it when they're alone

e: forgot to check the next page, lol

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Why have them speak english at all and not their native language? Why not have the page filled with some eldritch speech with a single english phrase "the trickster" in english since their language has no comparable phrase and just leave us to wonder what is being said and create a more intriguing atmosphere?
- because we, the readers, do not understand alien
- because... gently caress, I dunno, there's a hundred explanations. maybe they aren't actually aliens, just hyper-evolved humans who can glean full meaning from half a sentence of speech! maybe their (basically) human bodies can't pronounce the alien tongue! maybe they're scared of being recorded or spied upon!
- because what's on the page is a valid and acceptable artistic decision

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

My favorite iteration of the Kamen Rider franchise is the 2000 series 'Kuuga'. In it, a group of ancient monsters awaken to slaughter humanity and prepare the way for their leaders revival. They are suit monsters, but also have the ability to shapeshift into humans and they do so to infiltrate society and blend into the masses. They speak both fluent japanese as well as their native language Grongi. Grongi itself is a cipher of the japanese language meaning you swap out letters or in this case syllables since that's how the Japanese language works. So on top of it being a japanese dubbed show that I an using english scripts to understand, now there is a new language that isn't recognizable to me.

There are entire scenes where these creatures will gather and speak among each other in full Grongi or shout at the main character and while there is a grongi script available with the current iteration of subtitles, my first and second watch of the series didn't benefit from it. It was always a mystery as to what exactly was being said. Meaning there are numerous scenes where I can only discern meaning based on the context of the episode itself, and the actions of the creatures as they converse with each other. And recently when I did finally use the grongi scripts I was surprised to find that my impression of what was being said was accurate across many of the conversations presented. Obviously I missed fine details but the meaning carried through.

My point is the reader not speaking a language isn't an excuse because it works. And unlike say, the Cone heads, at least the guy in the suit has a complete command of the english language and grammar structure so him suddenly dropping that just makes it sound awkward. And if they did try and do what I'm suggesting and use some fake language, it would require more involved staging and composition which is something this series isn't known for anymore as people can't just stand and talk at each other when the reader doesn't understand the language.

According to them this room is shielded from telepathic interference and it's presumably a location they have set up. Who could be bugging them or spying on them? Maybe they were lying about psychic shielding but we have no way of knowing.

Do I get the possible intention? Sure. Does it sound good? Not to me, no.
I'm saying it reads as awkward and stilted and not in a way that makes them properly ominous. I will admit there is a lot we don't know as to the groups dynamic. Maybe the suit guy is the only one who has a complete grasp of human language. Maybe this is a one-off scene and they will never speak like this again. Maybe the writer just thought this line delivery would sound cool. It didn't work for me and knowing the series, the answer we will eventually get will not be worth giving them my good graces.
lol if you thought for even a second that I would respond to this wall of poorly-thought-out :words:

your suggestion posted:

"A fool?"
"No...a believer"

bald guy enters. Steps gingerly over a small scrap of shredded clothes.

"so it turned into a meal then?"
"and the trail is still cold."

Bald guy looks at suit guy

"what next then?"

"We need the trickster"
you really are a worse writer than the SFP guy :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

FactsAreUseless posted:

Check out this idea I had: Clevin and Hobbes