Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Stravinsky posted:

"Man reading good books means I can only talk about them in a purely academic fashion," said the idiot who has not moved on since public school.

Way back in my undergrad years I took a lit class and holy crap it was so much better than any of my lit classes in high school.

Not that I minded those but dang if they don't make people think that non-genre books are supposed to be incomprehensible without a lot of studying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Damo posted:

Read some real literature says the guy with the anime avatar.

OK, Mr. Anime Dude, I will. Oh wait I already do. OK, bye!

Get the best of both worlds, and watch a literary anime such as Ping Pong: The Animation, imo.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Effectronica posted:

What have you read in terms of "high literature"?

I'd like to know too, because that is really painting it with broad strokes. There are plenty of non-genre books that aren't depressing or anything!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'll recommend A Confederacy of Dunces, since it's an easy read and since you are posting on this site I assume you are entertained by stories of terrible people getting into humorous situations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

CestMoi posted:

Hello Mister Kingdom, you can read good literature and simply enjoy the words as they are presented to you on the page for being well constructed and beautiful and not even think about any meaning to yourself/the human peoples of the world. However, the very best books of all just cause you to think about them even when you are not reading them and you spontaneously engage in your own analysis and think about whether you believe the Don Quixote of Pierre Menard is the same as the Don QUixote of Miquel de Cervantes or if you think a man running across Europe trying to stop a bomb being launched by black Nazi commandos might bear some relevance to your own life. You don't need to sit and analyse every aspect but you will catch yourself thinking about the book on a level above "I hope Arya dies next".

Please read good books the Book Barn I recommend to you Dictionary of the Khazars by Milorad Pavic it is very enjoyable, has some really great words, is interestingly written and is largely an analogy for modern Serbia but you don't even need to think about that if you don't want to (I didn't)

Tarranon posted:

Engaging the text actually owns tho, and it is easy and everyone can do it, and then you get to enjoy your favorite faustian book three times

enjoy the devil book on the surface

enjoy thinking about what the devil book meant to your personally

and then discuss the matter with your close friends and share your perspectives/ideas

what would this world be if all you ever talked about was wasn't it cool when faust made that bargain, and then he got everything he asked for...or did he!!?

These are some insanely good posts on the matter and heck, while I don't have anything that could really be added to those statements I just want everyone to see them again, for emphasis. Especially for the people that think that in order to read non-genre stuff you *have* to analyze themes and subtexts and other things they tell you about in high school lit class.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

But if I do read those types of books and I don't "get" the subtext, then I'm judged as some kind of imbecile.

I guess we can expect similar threads in the other sub-forums telling us what kind of music we should be listening to, or what TV shows and movies we should be watching.

You seem to have a hangup about that stuff, I suggest following the advice in the things I quoted!

Surface-level enjoyment of that stuff is fine, nobody in here is saying you're a monster for not going past that when reading non-genre stuff. Don't make up some strawmen, tia.

A lot of the people posting in here just want folks to eat healthy stuff every once in awhile instead of McDonald's, basically!

Srice fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 18, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

If the story interests me, I'll give it a shot, if not, I won't.

If nothing else I've learned after 20+ years of posting on internet message boards is that everything you like is horrible and everything you hate is wonderful.

Typically yeah, but:

Stravinsky posted:

Here's the thing, if you do not get something there are people who read it that did and they will tell you what you missed. Maybe even here on this very forum.

There might not be many threads for non-genre books in the 'barn, but the people in them are definitely more than willing to help out with that stuff. They won't mock you for giving something outside of your comfort zone an earnest shot!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

You should make a thread for that book! I wouldn't be able to contribute anything because I haven't read it but heck that thread for White Noise convinced me to check it out sometime, and having a thread out there could do the same with The Accursed!

Sometimes just looking at the discussions going on can get me interested in something and I'm sure I'm not alone in that regard.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Speaking of spoilers, one of the neat side effects that branching out to meatier stuff has done for me is that I personally have stopped giving a poo poo about spoilers more or less! I mean, I don't go and seek them out but if I run into them, I just shrug.

The fact that it doesn't bother me if I hear "so and so dies!" is quite liberating, I gotta say. Since hey, if it's well written there's a lot of juicy stuff in such a scene beyond just the death that is enjoyable to pick through!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Exactly! And most of the time spoilers are floating around, it's the former.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pessimisten posted:

Man i'm going to show these slow rear end fuckwits on TBB who's the boss. I will start this super awesome thread about being superior to people who don't read what i read, drawing a clear line in the sand where my side equals good and the other side equals bad. Then i'm going to tell these bitches that if they weren't on my side when i drew it they suck. Now that I've established my higher standing and good taste they should be be willing to pluck all my apples of wisdom for they shall see that i am the three of knowledge. Come brethren, embrace my ankles as you grovel at my feet licking the ground for the crumbles of intellectual salvation that i spill over you. Love me, for i am better!

.. or maybe i should not be a complete asshat and just start a non elitist thread where i simply discuss and recommend good literature, from a perspective that isn't ten feet above the rest, since that is that i what i'm calling out others for not doing. Maybe that would actually be a good contribution to the forums and draw in people who're getting bored with genre fiction and are looking for better other types of reads but don't know where to start. Maybe that poo poo would actually be welcomed and appreciated.

Naaah, gently caress that noise! I'm bad rear end motherfucking lit god and sheeple need to worship and adore me.
(_)_)::::::::::: D~~~~ aaaaaand post!

(please read this post three times to truly catch all the splendid subtext I've hidden in it. If you don't find it you can't really criticise it)

There have been a ton of excellent suggestions for quality non-genre books in this very thread, along with quality commentary about some of them!

Plus some common misconceptions about literary works were cleared up. It's a good thread and you should read it from start to finish imo.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nobody in this thread is being pretentious about it though?

I mean, there are a lot of kneejerk replies that act like the thread is, but if you'll read it you'll see that the people sharing the OP's opinion are anything but pretentious. Respond to what is being said, instead of what you think is being said!

Srice fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 19, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

"Pretentious" is a word that is thrown around a lot more than it needs to be, and that's my opinion on the matter.

I just don't see the suggestion that people should expand their horizons to be pretentious at all.

Also, there are a lot of good posts in this thread where people have been talking about books they love in a way that's not pretentious at all!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ManlyGrunting posted:

That said, if you want a good gateway between comic book nerd poo poo and honest to God Literature, The Brief Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz is a fantastic place to start. I would pretty much reccomend this book to anyone who is eschewing the good stuff for genre fiction because it plays off a working knowledge of it to create a work that's legitimately profound and thought-provoking.

Seconding this. Fairly short, the magical realism stuff isn't intimidating for newcomers to that sort of thing, and it also features a protagonist that enjoys D&D, sci-fi & fantasy books, and anime. Plus it's not a difficult read at all so while you can get a lot of depth out of it, if all you want to do is engage it on the surface level then that's fine too because it's still an enjoyable read. It's good.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Stravinsky posted:

Not every thread has to be some sprawling 50 page monster. Small threads are cool as well.

Yeah I've been convinced to read a few things that had threads that were one, two pages at most. Don't have to have a ton of posts to get some good discussion going!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rime posted:

OP, why are you such a hipster that you believe some "literature" has more merit than others just by virtue of being a couple hundred years old?

One thing that does help is those several hundred year old books are still being talked about, today.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Widestancer posted:

If I had to compare top grossing novels written today with popular novels written a couple hundred years ago I'm pretty sure I'd get less brain damage reading the classics.

Did you really just call OP a hipster? Do you also use :allears:?

Heck most popular novels from ages ago don't stand the test of time either. Even looking at bestseller lists from 60-70 years ago will have a few familiar things but the majority of them will be complete unknowns today (and usually for good reason).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rime posted:

Protip: This is a genre novel. The genre is pretentious poo poo about lovely reality. It's largely a modern invention, coming to prominence in the 1960's.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

So what books would you recommend then, and for what reasons.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Real talk: Have you actually read this thread past the OP?

Because after the first few pages people have been discussing lots and lots of good poo poo in a way that's not pretentious at all! There are some p great discussions going on and as a result, my book backlog is all sorts of bigger now.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I encourage you to look at the other pages past that! Lot of great insight and fun to be had there, since ultimately this thread has become the same as the thread for non-genre books except more active.

(Which is pretty cool imo)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Please do not treat reading like gearing up for a raid in World of Warcraft, tia.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

I think the problem is working itself out. For a while there was pretty much nothing but genre fic threads. But now people are beginning to post more threads about other work, classical and otherwise. As long as we keep doing that instead of blindly criticizing stuff, it's gonna sort itself out. But this thread should probably get a title change, since it's needlessly inflammatory and keeps bringing in people who angrily post without reading the discourse that has occurred throughout the thread (not pointing fingers).

I feel like the title has been helpful because this thread got more posts than the thread for talking non-genre books in a mere fraction of the time!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Not gonna pick on you here (or anyone in particular), but I just wanna make an observation that I hear the line about only reading pulp and genre due to having a busy workload so often that it feels like a second cousin to the nerd line about liking all music genres "except rap and country".

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mr.48 posted:

Have you considered that you might be hearing it a lot because it could be true for many people?

To be honest I believe that the people who talk about liking all genres besides rap and country just haven't given anything on those genres a fair shake.

Or for another line in the same vein, "I can't exercise because it hurts my knees"

I guess what I'm getting at is, to me it just comes across as an excuse that tries to save face instead of sounding honest. I'm sure there are legit cases but I just have my doubts about the majority of them!

Also

ulvir posted:

that line of thought boggles my mind, it's like these dweebs have got it into their heads that good literature can't be entertaining or fun to read

Yeah this, lots of hella fun stuff that has zero spaceships or wizards or whatever in them.

Srice fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 5, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I recommend looking into short stories, lots of classic authors have written them.

Stuff like Crime and Punishment and Infinite Jest are really long, after all. With something short it will be easier to digest and you'll have a better idea if you'll enjoy their style before taking the plunge into a much longer work.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I loved Wind-up Bird Chronicle and felt lukewarm on 1Q84 as well. For my money's worth Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World is one of the better Murakami books out there.

Though I did find his most recent (translated) book Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage to be a nice return to form for him.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's a controversial stance but I'm gonna say it: both variations of the thread title are good advice.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'd be interested in seeing some of the changes between that first draft and To Kill A Mockingbird, but more out of curiosity. But even then I'm not curious enough to actually spend the time and money on it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Bandiet posted:

One of Vonnegut's rules of writing was "Give the reader at least one character he or she can root for." While I'm sure that's still not necessary for some people, I definitely agree with that more than thoroughly loving a character, which is pretty facile.

I believe at some point he said that if you're a good enough writer you can break any of his rules except one: Don't make the reader feel like their time has been wasted.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

When I first read it I knew The Ark Sakura would be a good book because within the first chapter it talks about a bug that lives by sitting in the same spot all day and slowly spinning around, eating its own feces

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Congrats to Pynchon for winning not one, but two Nobels. Wow!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Thinking the next thing I read might be something from the longlist...anyone have any takes on anything on the list?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

chernobyl kinsman posted:

someone somewhere was saying that bury your plow under the dead of their bones or whatever was really good and i'll probably pick that up in the near future

i haven't read the can xue book that's on the list but her stuff in general is good (and weird)

Wound up picking the Can Xue book since it was readily available...ty to everyone who threw out some takes :cheerdoge:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

If you don't like Mishima you're insane

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

I liked The Handmaid's Tale reasonably well when I read it in high school, but the sequel sounds like a complete cash-in/fan-bait. MORE WORLDBUILDING, OH BOY

She got basically no money from the tv series so I can understand why she'd do that, but lmao at it winning the booker.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

How the hell does that happen in this day and age? Did she just have a lovely holdover contract with her publisher from when it originally came out?

Yeah pretty much. She signed away the adaption rights decades ago to MGM and Hulu got it from them so the only money she saw directly from the show was from being a consultant on it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

If I might be random, why is The Scarlet Letter so detested by people my age? I'm 31 and of all the stuff people had to read in school, it gets savaged more than any other in my experience.

I liked it a lot. I like that whole little "movement" of Hawthorne, Poe and Melville. I just bought all of Poe's works on Audible and need to get through that. I've only listened to bits and pieces in my life.

It's a pretty commonly assigned highschool book. And I can't speak for how it gets taught generally but my experience back in highschool was that in class the primary focus was on the blatant symbolism present in it, and nothing was said about the religious hypocrisy going on in the book. A joyless way to go about it, plus a lot of people resent books they were forced to read in highschool in general (and heck if you don't have a great teacher I can understand why).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

I know it's silly but Knives Out "shamed" me into a second attempt at Gravity's Rainbow; previously I'd had a copy on audible and I gave up somewhere in chapter 2 because I couldn't tell reality from fantasy within a single paragraph. Accordingly, this time I opted for a print copy and also determined to notes as I went. It was better; I was more comfortable and better able appreciating the prose more, the evocative scenes, but I was still troubled by how confused I got, how often I had go back or re-read. But then I came here and:

Well that's an unexpected bolt of empathy flung out of the swirling mess that is the internet; I thought it was just me! I feel like I can just relax and keep going now, thanks all for the Python and Joyce chat a few pages back.

It took me a few tries to really get into Gravity's Rainbow too. I'm super glad I stuck with it though, once it clicked I loved it even during the parts where I was confused as heck. Godspeed goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

cda posted:

Moby Dick was mostly ftw but it was kind of tiresome how the whale would just Kramer in all the time and then Ishmael would whitesplain it, meanwhile Ahab kept showing his whole rear end, which was kinda cringey. But I have to admit that in spite of it being problematic, a lot of the story was fairly loving epic and there's all kinds of possibilities for shipping.