Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/04/04/austin-bus-crash-brings-concerns-about-texting-and-driving-ban/

Some good news, although Perry is still a dickbag for vetoing it in 2011. My city has a no texting ordinance and they ticket the gently caress out of people for it; would be great to see it implemented statewide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Jiro posted:

That's pretty normal. At least for here in the RGV.

They're forecasting 107 in McAllen on Thursday :cmon:

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Lote posted:

Corpus gonna become Corpse. :(

Good, it's a polluted shithole.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Very accurate description of the Texas Democratic Party:

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/969621658825904128
The anti-corruption message in the RGV should resonate since Democrats down there are notoriously corrupt.

'This article speaks the truth, especially about people staying in power through one form or another once they're elected (usually through nepotism). Usually it takes a federal corruption sting to remove people, as we're currently seeing with a judge who was caught on multiple counts of bribery. Then there was the whole Panama Unit thing a few years ago, which ended up sending the county sheriff and his son to federal prison. The Valley is a pretty cozy (and safe) place to live, but yes, the politics here are awful.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Lote posted:

Austin is terrible. In 10 years, Austin will officially become a parking lot from which people post on twitter about how “progressive” and “weird” Austin is and how much they love live music even though they haven’t gone to a concert, ever.

I hate Austin more and more each time I go there; it is a certifiable shithole. The people are loving awful and the traffic is even worse. The only upsides are reasonably good restaurants, but so many now have terrible gimmicks (no reservations unless you use their app) that there's no tangible benefit to living there.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Things are heating up in the RGV (aside from the nonstop 100-degree days). The Edinburg mayor, Richard Molina, is being investigated by Paxton for voter fraud, and a few arrests have already been made:

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/news/releases/ag-paxtons-office-continues-investigation-of-illegal-voting-scheme-tied-to

There's possibly some truth to it, but the complaint was submitted by his opponents, the Palacios family, who are starting to lose their seats in local government (and, consequently, what some say are their non-contest bidding contracts for city services). Then, the mayor got on social media and released a video accusing them of the same and also filing a complaint with the AG:

https://youtu.be/5fm-zEQGg7Y

The local news has been covering it pretty heavily:

http://www.themonitor.com/news/local/article_3afc795c-6486-11e8-a475-8f5ad993e6f4.html

http://www.krgv.com/story/38054079/investigation-tilting-the-scale

...and a local opinion website took note of Molina's attempt to shut down a Facebook group (Anonymous RGV) that was leaking court documents:

http://thebenchwire.com/hey-richard-molina-go-gently caress-yourself/

Whether this will lead to a runoff or an indictment of the mayor remains to be seen. I would guess there will be lots of low-level arrests for fraud in the coming motnths but doubt if it will unseat anyone. The political theatre here is pretty awesome, IMO. It's either someone is indicted for fraud/bribery after a few years, or they stay in power for decades of corruption.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Jiro posted:

As someone that lives in the RGV, it's like a pretty small minded corrupt. Basically rife with nepotism, and under the table hand shake agreements for some contracts here and there.

It sucks when taking the long view, after being marginalized for so long by the plantation owning anglos, the Hispanics that finally do come into power just do the same stupid poo poo.

Pretty much. Most of the stuff that is true about the politics here (aside from the Panama Unit) is greedy nepotism and, hence, morons in positions of power. I've never experienced the big things that make national headlines (cartels, violence, etc.; which isn't to say that those things don't exist, however) and am often surprised by the typecast given that I've never been in a situation which threatened my safety, unlike pretty much every time I've gone to Austin, Houston, or Corpus (which is a motherfucking dump). The thing that we do see here is border crossings, although that has gone way down in recent years.

The goddamn property taxes, though...Jesus.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

RisqueBarber posted:

I've had one in my yard for about two months now and my neighbor just got one too :banjo:

Although, I only think he has about a 1 in 4 chance of winning :(

More like he has a 1 in 1 chance of losing, etc.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Normal seasons:
Spring
Summer
Fall
Winter

Texas seasons:
Summer
DEATH SUMMER
Summer
...Fall?

Stay hydrated y'all.

No loving Kidding. Austin should pass an ordinance forcing all festivals of a certain size to be in June, July or August. Hell, tell the shitheads in congress that it's about stopping the influx of liberal Californians and they might actively agree with/support Austin for once

Valley Seasons:

Get Ready to Burn (January-February)
ROAST TIME (Spring)
OH YEAH, WE ROASTIN' (Summer)
THIS TRAIN DON'T STOP (Fall)

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

High turnout/long lines in my county and district today, but I'm still seeing a 5-10 point loss for Beto because Texas.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Two things: why the gently caress would anyone vote straight party on these dumbass machines, and isn't that picture highly illegal?

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

I hope somebody makes a major MAJOR national stink about this vote-switching glitch poo poo if Cruz wins.

Cruz will win regardless, :cmon:

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Nonsense posted:

Cruz up 10. :fork:

There was no way for O'Rourke to win, it's Texas. Hopefully he won't lose as badly as Wendy Davis did, but my guess is still 5-8 points.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

As much as i hate Cruz, I laughed.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Hahaha, holy poo poo, I know the chick in the anime costume. True story: she dresses like that every day, for every occasion.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

TropicalCoke posted:

TAKE ME TO NOVEMBER 2020

Why would you want to visit a post-apocalyptic hellscape?

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Jiro posted:

While hilarious, we've also seen a massive influx of different people of color and its fantastic. If only because it makes the old abuelitas scared along with expanding the food presence down here. But the Valley still has the best Tex-Mex in all of Texas. :colbert: Born and raised in McAllen, entire family is from here, extended included.

I know, right? I've only lived here since 2010, but the diversification has been immense. It now seems like most other parts of Texas in terms of the demographic, and for all the data on poverty, I see more Teslas and Maseratis here than I did on my last Houston trip (even saw a freaking Lambo the other day). Meanwhile, every day I walk my kid to school, go to my job, live a normal life, and have never remotely experienced a "crisis" (aside from lovely drainage).

Trump's McAllen visit lasted a scant 4 hours, but according to local news one CBP officer told him that as of late they apprehend more people from Pakistan, India, and China than they do Central America. God knows what he'll do with that...

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Also, gently caress that guy because he was instrumental to bringing LNG facilities to South Padre Island. You piece of poo poo, it's the last unraped costal area of the state.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Drone Jett posted:

It’s fine in South Padre and...ok...in Corpus. Florida’s Gulf coast all seems pretty nice.

Corpus is filled with syringes and runoff from the refineries that rape the city, :cmon:

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

https://twitter.com/alexsamuelsx5/status/1086318601823506432?s=21

Patrick stacked the property tax committee with a bunch of crazy people and also Hinojosa, who I don’t know anything about

Haha, Hinojosa, are you kidding me? Kiss any meaningful PT reform chances goodbye, that dude tried to force through a loving massive healthcare district that was twice rejected by voters in Hidalgo county, and after that the appraisals went through the loving roof. I heard they're going to try it again as a medical school district.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

So what's to stop the Appraisal Districtzzzz from just jacking up the values to recoup the loss? This obviously hurts local governments, but I'm sure counties will find a way around it. In Hidalgo County, we're still paying for poo poo that was levied ages ago, and most of the projects have never been completed, and some never even started.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

My guess is that appraisals will explode if this passes and voters don't approve corresponding local TRE's. We've seen that on several occasions here, with some people being appraised sometimes $30k more in a single year (and their protests denied) after a bond issue or TRE fails.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

zoux posted:

TFW you get that real tax relief
https://twitter.com/ShannonNajma/status/1104113733360599041

Take that the House, they're giving back $25 more. Per. Year. At a cost of $1.3 billion in local property tax revenue.

e: Here's your trigger bill

Ahhh, counting on a SC overturn of Roe, nice strategy.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

zoux posted:

Isn't lack of empathy a hallmark of ASD? Maybe that's not the right word, but like not being able to put yourself in another shoes, or a decreased ability to do that relative to the baseline?

https://twitter.com/chucklindell/status/1121436656849117185

It's impossible to know if this is legit or not but this wouldn't be unheard of in the valley.

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1121438737056051200
:geno:

It was just a matter of time before they arrested Molina. Most of his cronies were picked up related to this over the past few months, so they wouldn't have arrested him and his wife unless they had something solid. Ahhh, Valley politics.

(The dude is a shitbird, though.)

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Yeah, unanimous in both chambers. It's headed to Abbott along with the property tax bill. Eager for my $200 reduction in 2020 and then the appraisals going through the goddamn roof, and suddenly I own a $350,000 home!

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

As if one arrest warrant weren't enough:

https://www.themonitor.com/2019/06/20/nine-arrest-warrants-issued-edinburg-mayor/

(They're all for the same charge, essentially)

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Jiro posted:

RAY-deee-oohhh

Y'all are lucky, the Valley lost its drat NPR station. loving Catholic Diocese.

From what I heard at the university, it's coming back relatively soon. Vicente Gonzalez also got us some federal money when not screwing up interviews.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Jiro posted:

I just essentially want a clone copy of KUT programming and music just with more Latino USA in it and if possible an all Spanish language version of that station going at the same time.

Yep, I've heard the bilingual thing thrown out by a few reputable sources, so that's how it'll probably take shape. The university is actually doing quite well financially, so hopefully it'll happen sooner than later.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Ogmius815 posted:

I wonder what he’ll do now. He doesn’t really have a job.

I see some mid-level Texas government position in his future (mayor, state rep, state senator, etc.). If he's lucky, he'll head back to the House.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Sab0921 posted:

The HISD takeover was odd timing. The Board was was an utter shitshow that routinely violated the Open Meetings Act to engage in secret meetings to snipe at their rivals on the board while also being blatant criminals directing contracts to their friends (my Trustee, Diana Davila did this)

They almost came to blows on multiple occasions and it is amazing that HISD was able to accomplish anything with their board in utter disarray.

However, last week, every incumbent up for re-election lost, it was a de facto new board chosen by the voters (some of the old ones stayed on because their seats weren't up). The state announced the takeover after this happened.

I would feel differently if I thought the state GOP was even capable of acting in remotely good faith, but they aren't, and used a flimsy pretext to depose an elected school board so they can destroy the district from the inside to use as their evidence of the failure of public schools.

Anyway. If you're from Houston, please run for school board and dont be corrupt. Thanks.

School boards always attract the loving worst of the worst because of their taxing authority and power to dole out projects to contractors (read: relatives) they favor. The boards in the Valley are basically run by one family and the nepotism is some next-level poo poo.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Sab0921 posted:

The state government has been starving them of funding for a decade necessitating the 10% year over year increase in property taxes.

Everything can always be traced back to the shitheads in charge in Austin.

I think the recent property tax and school finance bills will ultimately do more harm than good to homeowners (GET OFF MY LAWN). Most districts way overappraised this past year in anticipation of major changes in the funding formulas, so they'll likely be 15-20% higher in coming years now that most people are essentially locked into a higher appraised value. Housing affordability has reached an unsustainable level for many.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Some relatively interesting riders, but overall nothing too exotic:

https://www.themonitor.com/2020/01/08/sushi-steak-booze-mcallen-taxpayers-funded-enrique-iglesias-lavish-requests/

Makes me wonder how much of that food went to waste. One of my brothers worked as an executive chef for a hotel that regularly hosted Cruise, Depp, Clooney, etc. and said that most of that king stuff ended up being thrown out.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Did anyone else find the Democratic Ballot Props a little over the top? It was almost like they were tempting you vote no on all of them and unleash a comically evil laugh while doing so.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1235016664690962433
Of all the cities in Texas to say this about... Houston is probably the most diverse city in the state, if not the country.

Do y'all think most white Texans like or dislike our cultural amalgamation that come from Mexico and elsewhere in Latin America? It's one of my favorite things about Texas. People used to be proud of that connection, maybe it's still the same but social media sure amplifies the hateful voices.

What makes this also weird is that people in the Valley are saying it's diversifying like Austin/San Antonio and are also having an aversion to Mexican culture, even though its like 10 miles from here. I have seen more flagrant displays of wealth here than many other parts of Texas (seriously, where the gently caress find all of these Teslas come from?) and some of the public schools are fairly equal in terms of demographics.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

UNT sent a memo to faculty about preparing for the possibility of a partial shutdown

But nothing concrete

My university said the same thing. There are currently no confirmed cases where I live, but we faculty were told for the possibility of two weeks of online teaching after spring break ends this week.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Gotta love the Valley sometimes - the Livestock/Rodeo refuses to close because we have no confirmed cases here:

https://www.themonitor.com/2020/03/13/stock-show-stay-open-despite-countys-urgent-call-cancellations/

Counterpoint: we have no confirmed cases here because none of our hospitals have test kits:

https://www.themonitor.com/2020/03/13/hidalgo-county-public-testing-covid-19-not-currently-available-locally/

McAllen ISD is giving parents the choice to bring their kids to school or not without penalty beginning the week of the 23rd. Kids who stay home can do remote instruction. As a side note, my kiddo's pediatrician says that it's more likely that a COVID case would come from Spring breakers at the island than through the border, but whatevs.

https://www.themonitor.com/2020/03/13/mcallen-isd-allow-students-attend-class-online/

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

As expected, most of our HEBs were picked clean by 9:30'today, lmao.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Our county judge in Hidalgo just issued a seven-day disaster declaration banning events with over 50 people (in other words, gently caress that livestock show that stayed open). There are still no confirmed cases, but that's only a matter of time.

McAllen ISD just made all instruction online until April 3rd, and UTRGV is online-only through the rest of the semester.

poo poo is kinda hitting the fan and the district's decision to close will only make the panic-buying even worse. This apocalypse is no fun!

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

The only thing we have confirmed so far in the Valley is a case in Laredo and something across the bridge in Tamaulipas. Our judge did say that 15 people were tested recently, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Things are still relatively quiet in the Valley. The biggest news is that there's one case in Laredo and one case across the bridge in Tamaulipas, which means that it's only a matter of time before it comes to McAllen/Mission/Edinburg. No restaurant closures aside from Chik-Fil-A, WB, and Chipotle going to delivery/drive through only. All of the public schools are closed until April 6, and some indefinitely.

Other than that, people are still prepping pretty hard. Today, HEB was only admitting a maximum of 75 people at a time and the line was wrapped around the store, with state troopers and city PD supervising. Some things were depleted, but lots of the bare essentials (TP, paper towels, cleaning supplies, eggs, milk, etc.) that have been going in the past two weeks were stocked to the max.

A lot of students here are saying their parents won't let them leave the house, but it's usually too hot to go outside anyway from mid-April to mid-October, so this is nothing new for us...

Edit:

https://www.themonitor.com/2020/03/18/cameron-county-confirms-island-visitors-tested-positive-covid-19/

loving winter Texans and spring breakers can eat poo poo.

IT BURNS fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 19, 2020