Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

RisqueBarber posted:

BCBS isn't the only one doing this. UHC, Cigna, and Aetna are doing similar things. You probably should have went to an urgent care first before you went to the ER. You should only go to the ER if they are having a "true" emergency(bleeding out, heart attack, etc.)

I had gallstones in February and had no idea what it was and urgent care places refused to see me with my symptoms and told me to go to a hospital ER. It ended up being urgent enough I had to be admitted for a few days but that was kinda frustrating.

zoux posted:

Since they did nothing for me, after they were letting me go after confirming it was a stone, I asked the doc, if this happens again, should I what, stay home? He said no, you should come into the ER if it happens again.

I've had kidney stones multiple times and my urologist tells me to just call them if it happens, but also the first thing they ask when I go is if I went to the ER when it happened. It is a really common reason to go to the ER.

DuckHuntDog fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I mean even places on "lockdown" still have grocery stores, pharmacies, gas stations, restaurants, etc. open, and people are still allowed to go to them. The only real difference I think is the emphasis, as nothing is really being enforced beyond fines.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

The second there are massive outbreaks all over they will panic and shut everything down again anyways, except it will be even worse. Nevermind the national economy won't be doing well if the entire rest of the world is shut down.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

The venue is indoor/outdoor, so we can just have a July wedding outside instead.

What a cool world we live in.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

It was always a battle between epidemiologists and economists, and given enough time the latter will win out. Just make the public health crisis a matter of personal responsibility and ride it out. I am dreading the start of school.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

there are rather a lot of economists who factor in things like "number of deaths" and "cost of those deaths", don't put this evil on us

Don't worry I was being glib and of course nobody has been listening to any experts unless they conform to the desired outcome. I wasn't really putting the blame on economists.

Ratmtattat posted:

The superintendent of my kids' school district announced tonight that school would be back to normal in August. Not that our area is covid free, just that schools would be starting back up and be completely in person again.

Gee, wouldn't it be something if children could carry the disease and then spread it to people who are high risk? I'm glad the schoolboard is so loving on top of things.

It is worth remembering that children aren't completely free of risk of death and serious complications, and the staff will all also quickly get sick as well. There is no way they could actually let people stay home long enough to recover completely once they do get sick. Any social distancing on buses, during lunches, in the classroom, etc., will be impossible. Despite all of this, if parents are all back at work, there is absolutely no way they can keep students from going back to school. Too many parents across the state need schools to be open to watch their kids, or they can't work and then its the same as if we are locked down. We just live in a society that cannot function in a crisis, so we have to ignore it.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Zil posted:

Yeah I do not envy them at all right now. My mom is a teacher in a small town and they are not even planning on going back normally this fall.

They really aren't planning anything specific yet, which makes it incredibly hard to start doing any prep work for next year one way or the other. It would be nice if I even knew for certain what classes I was going to be teaching so I could just do prep work on distance learning if that is what we end up doing.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ok that sucks but what monsters start classes in loving july

I looked up their calendar to see how they set up the school year, and they apparently have a quarter system, so they take three weeks off in late September/early October and they also have two weeks off in March. That is probably a decent tradeoff.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

This is kind of a dumb question but are parents allowed to just keep their kid home even if schools open? Like if they don’t think it’s safe but also they’re not going to homeschool them.

Most districts have given parents a choice on having their kids do remote learning, in-person, or some hybrid option. A majority of parents are responding to them, and it is a pretty even split between in person and online most places that I have seen. So yeah, most students will probably be at school, but it won't be all of them.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

It is particularly funny because police will not be involved at all in something like that. This happened at the complex I lived at a few years ago and APD of course did not care and wasn’t going to do anything, much to the consternation of my neighbors. You file an online police report and give it to your insurance company, and that is basically the end of it.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

My view of the fraternity bullshit from being in one of the bigger ones at UT 15-20 years ago: some parts were okay at first, mixed with awful poo poo that I slowly distanced myself from until I was basically going to eat a few meals a few times a week and parking somewhat close to campus (and eventually not doing any of this my senior year). I do not keep in touch with anyone, and just have polite conversations when I run into people at random places. I can’t imagine any of this being worth spreading (even more) disease.

My younger siblings all have close friends they made from that time, though.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Marxalot posted:

Time and a half :v:

Also don't these frats and sororities cost a shitload of money to join? I remember seeing a fancy looking flyer for one on campus and it was the equivalent of a few hundred a month

I dont know what it is now, but it is at least thousands of dollars per semester, even if you aren’t living at the house. Tuition is crazier now, but at the time it was almost as expensive as in-state tuiton was.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

0.2% of the students and staff infected in 2% of the school year.

I imagine the percentage of them being tested is extremely low, as well.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Getting rid of “South Texas” and “Central Texas” to put subregions instead and grouping everything else in “East Texas” is interesting. Waco as part of East Texas makes sense on a map with no cultural context, I guess. Splitting Houston from areas that would strongly identify with it is also interesting.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Kunabomber posted:

I was presiding over the primaries in March. Almost no one wore masks - I didn't wear one either because what COVID was hadn't really hit me yet.

You still had the CDC saying not to wear them in March (mostly because they wanted to make sure there were enough supplies for hospital workers), and nobody knew if they were effective or not. It is also way more widespread now than it was then.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

zoux posted:

This semester was a waste. Probably every school will be back in-person next semester, and so far the evidence doesn't really support the theory that schools, especially elementary schools, are disease spread risks.

That thread is entirey about how schools are ignoring the public health threat for accountability and funding reasons driving the push to bring kids back. Where do you get the idea that its not being spread widely in every school? It is and it is being ignored.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Directly referencing it being a result of talking with the Secretary of State kind of gives it away.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

We do have both state and local hotel taxes in Texas as well. It was a pain when I used to work at a hotel because people would have tax exemptions for one but not the other.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I would not stick around for secession, even as a 6th generation Texan. I don’t know how you would stop a mass exodus out of an independent Texas, either. Good thing it isn’t happening any time soon!

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

Now maybe I just don't know because I didn't go to UT but I suspect that the boosters care very much more about the players/students not knowing their place and having any input whatsoever into how the program is run more than the boosters actually care about the song.

Pretty much this. It is a generational thing and being upset about changes. Also, most of the people quoted graduated in the 60s, and the football program did not desegregate until 1970. It is also extremely tied to GOP messaging about cancel culture and any opposing any changes that threaten tradition.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

zoux posted:

First of all it’s Bryan College Station

As someone who grew up in Bryan (and graduated from the University of Texas at Austin), it’s fine to say College Station/Bryan (or even just College Station) at this point. It will always sound backwards to me and I will never say it, but College Station is larger enough now that I get it. Nobody knows where it is or what is there other than A&M anyways.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

zoux posted:

Yeah I’m from Bryan too and it is not fine to say, College Station can suck my dicjk

Really I only ever say “Bryan”, and even “Bryan/College Station” is just some poo poo you hear on local car commercials or whatever, so I have changed my mind and agree with you and they should have just labeled it “Bryan” on the map.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

We had to fully stop trying to test and just put the students back on a regular schedule. I cannot wait for this to happen every single testing day we have coming up.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Proud Christian Mom posted:

property taxes can be a problem for fixed income people in rapidly gentrifying areas, but that is more of an issue of us expecting people to survive on $327 a month and not property taxes themselves. its just another bitching point by the same people who live in a 7 bedroom mcmansion for three people, have $3300/mo in car payments and spend $15k a semester on private pre-school.

It is easy and understandable to not care about the concerns of the later group, but the only people truly benefiting from the current system are the ones far wealthier than them who do not spend a percentage of their wealth or income on housing at the same rate as everyone else, and never have their property properly appraised in the first place. It is basically regressive, and just exists to avoid having a state income tax where they would have a slightly harder time avoiding paying taxes. Even someone renting a place is just paying their landlord’s property taxes.

eSporks posted:

I don't think most people would have an issue with locking property taxes to the houses value at time of purchase, for single home owners that live in their home.

To highlight why this would create massive problems from just one perspective, part of the reasons school bonds frequently do not raise tax rates is because they just make the money from increasing property taxes from property values increasing. You would immediately have issues with school districts being able to pay off bonds without increasing tax rates, and this is also the only way they can do things like build or renovate schools.

It is all unsustainable and I am not looking forward to the aftermath of this all falling apart.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I always called them cicadas and heard people around me call them cicadas, but “locusts” was not completely unheard of.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

You could make a pretty good argument that while it may not have much enforcement, it probably will empower parents to critically examine what is being taught in the classroom and make a sufficient argument about it that a principal would force some sort of change in the curriculum regardless of the legality in court. The threat of that might be enough to censor teachers preemptively. I would also argue that was an intended consequence of the bill.

Teachers in this state really don’t have a lot of protection from parents complaining unless they have administration support. It will be subtle, but it will have an effect.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

The Shame Boy posted:

I mean having to do the silly tug of war of changing it remotely and then people just going back down anyway trying to get the house to cool down again is sucking up extra power. Not the act of changing it 80 itself.

But i'll take the L if it still much better :v:

It doesn't really use more or less power to run at different temperatures other than how long it has to run for to keep it at that temperature. If you leave it at 70 during the day, it is going to be running basically constantly during the day, where someone set at 80 will let the house slowly (as long as it is fairly insulated, it could take all day) warm up before it has to run to hold at that temperature. At night, the house already at 70 probably won't have to run as much at night, but the person who switches also benefits from the outdoor air also cooling at the same time. Lot of large office buildings and schools run on the same idea around being on mostly when people are around so that they have to run for shorter periods of time.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Oil! posted:

I don't know, I like employees being paid and not being completely discouraged from academic pursuits with massive amounts of mandatory practice time, time reviewing tapes, etc.

You should read up on NIL rights (name, image, and likeness), because there is currently massive changes going on with compensation for athletes developing right now. The academic side is definitely hard to justify, but also way less of an issue in non-revenue sports.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

jokes posted:

The incidence of severe consequences for vaccinated people being so low, I feel like wearing a mask is for the benefit of the worst people in Texas. I don’t like it but I’ll do it to like help my fellow man or whatever but I feel there’s about a 0% chance they’d do the same if roles were reversed. They won’t even wear a mask to save their own life.

There are plenty of people who are immunocompromised, under 12 years old, or cannot afford time to take off work to recover from the vaccine that you are helping. It doesn't help anyone to think of any of this as personal responsibility, even if a lot of people who are getting really sick are to some degree at fault.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

Oh, Arkansas' governor (which has even lower vaccination rates) is finally scaling back some of the conservative anti-mask orders and redeclaring a public health emergency. I really wonder how far poo poo has to go here before we stop destroying every measure that would save us.

It feels to me like Abbott, like DeSantis, is too tied into national politics on this, and has way more to gain by doubling down forever.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

saintonan posted:

1. We don't even know who will be in the Big 12 when the next TV deal is signed.
2. I know this is sacrilege but conferences are not just vehicles for sports revenue.

That is true, but it is also true that it takes a lot of money in football particularly to be competitive and stay that way. Over half of the nationally televised Big XII football games involved Texas or OU, and that is how some of the other schools get noticed and build recruiting classes, etc. This has a huge effect on other athletic programs at the school, helps encourage people to attend the school, etc. Baylor getting good in football and beating Texas and OU a few times also lead to their basketball program staying consistently great and winning a title. There really are not any options out there that replace those two schools in a way that attracts more national attention or money, and the conference has been very unstable for a long time because all the other large schools left.

Whatever is left would be compelling to watch and competitive even in football, but this is a huge hit. A lot of the Big XII teams that were not OU already had an incredibly tough time making the playoffs.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

i say swears online posted:

texas tech is a natural pac12 school imo

They have history with the two Arizona schools, and to a lesser degree Colorado, but there is no reason for the Pac 12 to expand.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

drat, I figured it would either be the vaccine or asphixiation from having to wear a mask.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I know that a few districts have set up online only programs that are basically a separate school, but I do not know where the funding for those comes from. They are definitely not doing normal funding for students who would rather be online.

I am fully expecting a lot of people to just not to get tested for COVID because of the changes on sick days, etc.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

IT BURNS posted:

Although online learning sucks rear end and obviously didn't work as intended last year (thanks to poor internet connections, one household sharing only a few devices, food insecurity, apathy, lack of parental involvement, etc.), it should at least be loving ALLOWED for the first semester until the vaccine is approved for kids.

The truth is that learning outcomes were down across the board, including students who were in classroom all year. Kids having a lot of external stress everywhere did not help. I think a lot of decisions across the country are being made with concerns to learning gaps over safety, and it is not just Texas doing this. Hopefully parents are finding ways to keep their kids safe that they are comfortable with.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

Like, just putting teachers on the same overtime schedule as cops would be a huge shift.

Would we somehow get paid for all the outside work hour prep and grading that is impossible to do during the day as they add more duties during the day? Just kidding, I know the answer to that.

There are big shortages nationwide for teachers because of COVID and burnout, but they aren't really doing anything towards raising base pay to actually alleviate the problem. This is a similar problem across all industries right now, but nobody is going to bother implementing the one thing that could do anything about it.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Sanguinia posted:

I know Texas is Texas, but is being pro-Gun Control really just a complete loving deathknell for ANY Democrat in the state?

Only in that it can help drive up GOP turnout, and it is going to be high regardless in 2022.

Beto doesn't seem like the worst choice, because he will probably at least try and campaign and help drive turnout to help downballot races, and I do not know that the failed national run really hurts him that much statewide. It will be rough no matter who they run (and even McConaughey's numbers would crash hard if he actually did run).

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

lol what a bunch of rubes. Jesus christ.

If they do not get ahead of it like this, then parents just refuse to send them to school at all. We had a social media thing like this a few weeks ago and only a third of the students showed up at all, and a lot of them had parents refuse to let them go.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

The flip side is if they ignore it, tell the parents it isn't real and then someone does go on a shooting spree - it's a lawsuit waiting to happen. The school in Michigan is being sued already, this is a pure CYA move by school officials. It's easier to just do this and be able to say you had no specific known threats, but took precautions anyway.

Pretty much, yeah. If it reaches wide enough circulation, they have to put out a statement that they think it is not credible, but they are working with police and taking extra precautions, etc. Dealing with individual students based on whether or not they might become a threat in the future is an even bigger can of worms that is going to leave schools open to suits both ways.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

High school teacher here. I wasn't worried about a shooting per se as much as that some jackass kid would think it funny or clever to call in a fake bomb threat today and we'd have to scramble to make up the last semester final.

We had a spate of vandalism and theft the last time a TikTok thing like this trended, so we know that at least some part of our student body is easily influenced by social media fads.

Yep, same at my school with the TikTok trends and annoyance at how students are influenced by them. Losing a day a few weeks ago was hell on making up work, particularly because it only impacted some
of my class periods.

DuckHuntDog fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

It is funny that people get super serious about beans in chili when most people are just using ground beef and chili powder from the store anyways. If you are making a serious chili with real peppers and cubed meat and omit the beans, I do get it (but beans are still good even there).