Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

I know I'm awfully late to the party but I have just been browsing through Avatar wiki and found out that Mai actually broke up with Zuko shortly after the end of the war. I never read Avatar comics, maybe they explain that better, but it greatly diminishes the effect of the whole 'I love him more than I fear you' bit.

Plus, who's the mother of the present Fire Lord(ess), then? Does Zuko reproduce asexually?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

DNA bending. You heard it here first, folks!

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

So, were Ghazan and Ming Hua an item? That is the most important question of the day.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

I don't envy next season's villains. They've got a tough act to follow.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

I'm rewatching Season 1 right now and man did I forget that they used to have jazz motifs. That's actually one of the departments where LoK completely outshines LoA for me: I didn't mind the music in the latter (or, rather, I didn't notice it), but Korra just has so much more to offer. There are moments in some of the fight scenes, though, where there's no music and it looks a bit weird.

Also, I forgot that the first words to come from Korra's mouth are 'I'm the Avatar, you gotta deal with it'. Guess Zaheer learned it the hard way.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Interesting. So they've confirmed what has been pretty much deduced in this thread: being a great martial artist, Zaheer simply applied airbending to his already outstanding abilities and amplified them, hence the rapid learning rate. Plus, he was SO spiritual, you guys.

Good enough for me.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Talkc posted:

So having not watched Korra since the end of the first season i decided to catch up on the weekend.

I watched all of book 2 and 3 in a weekend.

I have to say. It was a good weekend. :downs:

I've got to ask. I've been watching all seasons the way they were released (one-two episodes at a time) but I never binged on Season 2 (or 1 and 3, for that matter). How did it look to you? Were there problems with pacing, coherence, structure?

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Jackard posted:

Someone needs to remind the guy writing Bolin that "brevity is the soul of wit"

Bolin does have some good lines but they're always the short ones or visual stuff like that wink.

He only gets tedious when they drag it out - the loving bird calls and him explaining the sock

Someone needs to remind him that Bolin is no Sokka. Nor should he be.
Edit: As I've said, I started rewatching Season 1 and looking back at the recent season, the flanderization of Bolin becomes REALLY apparent. Also, he used to look less bulky and angular.

PiedPiper fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Aug 26, 2014

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Spergatory posted:

People tend to forget that this line was written by Shakespeare, the most long-winded motherfucker in the English language. :ironicat:
Shakespeare? The MOST long-winded? What about James Joyce or G.K.Chesterton?
Please present your evidence in this topically appropriate thread.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

ShadowCatboy posted:

Favorite was Appa + Momo, because that's kinda/sorta canon. Also, Koh.
Mine was Gyatso.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Oracle posted:

Asami is Korra's Appa. She flies her around everywhere, is always around but rarely interacts, occasionally comes out of nowhere to save her bacon and is her best friend.

I'm looking forward to Asami's Lost Days.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Je suis fatigue posted:

butni feel kike
I feel the same way

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

I'm against Korrasami PRECISELY because it would feel like the producers are trying to say 'Hey! Look, we're cool, we're hip. We've got them same-sex relationships covered - aren't you in awe of how modern and LGBT-friendly this show is?'. I don't like artificial pandering. If you want to depict same-sex relationship, loving go for it, but be sure you do it because this is what feels natural for these characters and not because you want to appease to your fans.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Jimbot posted:

Also, being inclusive is rarely pandering since you're representing a minority that doesn't get much exposure. What you are doing is like saying, before Legend of Korra came out, that they're just making the main character of the next Avatar show a woman and a person of color, at that, because they want to check off a box in the political correctness inclusive checklist. I can see where you are coming from but it really doesn't apply here.
See, if they'd introduced Korra as bisexual or lesbian from the start or given some indications of it, I would think 'Well, maybe they will do something interesting about it'. I wouldn't be opposed to it, I'd be willing to give it a chance. BUT introducing LGBT theme after THREE whole seasons in what I assume will be the last season is entirely out of place. This is not a change that is required to drive the plot or the character arc, it is the change that some marginal percent of fandom is dreaming about, that's all.

It's like making Superman gay all of a sudden, after 80 years worth of comic books having no indication of it. Being inclusive is great but being honest to your characters and your fans is better.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Pomp posted:

I...I don't think you know how bisexuality works.
Have I given any descriptive analysis of how one stumbles upon his or her own sexuality? All I said is that this supposed introduction would not be earned story-wise. Kind of like that little love triangle in the first season. Was it realistic? Sure, I personally knew people who've had these type of affairs. Was it interesting in any way? No, it felt forced and unnecessary.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Ravane posted:

Every three weeks, this thread goes through this really creepy phase of 30+ year old men talking about the relationships and sexual tension of a children's show.
Officer, I swear! I'm barely 20+!

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Legs Benedict posted:

You say that if Korra turned out to be gay or bisexual, that it would completely define her character, yet you say that these things should not define characters.
No, he's saying that sexual orientation should be an organic characteristic of the protagonist and that if homosexuality would have been introduced to LoK at this point in time, it would probably attract attention to Korra (the character) for the wrong reasons: not because she's a strong, independent female Avatar or an interesting character but because producers decided to make her sexuality a selling point.

The guy's not against LGBT theme, he's against introducing changes that are unearned and unsupported by what we've seen so far in this show.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

BrianWilly posted:

It's a trap. Because of the way we've been conditioned our entire lives by the utter absence of queer characters, spending as much time and effort on a character's queer identity as you would someone's heterosexual identity all of a sudden feels like "too much" and "pandering." And at the same time, if they try to do it after they've firmly established the character outside of her sexuality, all of a sudden it's "inorganic" and also "pandering."
There are great screenwriters who are able to tell the stories about characters, not about their characteristic features. Sadly, there are also those who want to discuss the characters solely through their traits. So, if there's a romantic comedy about, say, overweight woman, usually the premise is 'Will she be able to find her true love DESPITE BEING SO ENORMOUSLY FAT?'. Her obesity becomes the sole purpose of existing in this show, her story is told THROUGH her 'main' feature. She is not seen as a normal human being, she's seen as this person with a flaw/obstacle/whatever.

I don't want you to think that I'm some grumpy dwarf that is always unhappy. If they introduce Korra as bisexual or whatever, I'd probably say 'Eh, I'm not feeling this' but I would also give this show a chance. If they manage to pleasantly surprise me, if they really pull off the story that incorporates new elements while not betraying Korra's character and not overshadowing the features that made her great, I'd be the first to admit my own foolishness. It's just that I don't particularly have a lot of confidence in the ability of screenwriters to tell that sort of story.

Again, I may be wrong.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Pomp posted:

I never even thought about lavabending being about a style, I just figured it was rapidly vibrating the rock in miniscule chunks to create heat and melt. Where earthbending is normally about big, relatively stiff motions and grounding, it would be about fine control and precision...which I guess is kind of firebending.
But as early as Season 1, Bolin already told Korra that her classical 'stiff' style of earthbending wouldn't fly in probending, he actually recommended staying on one's toes and moving like a boxer. What we've seen about bending styles in LoA has changed drastically since then.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Pomp posted:

The worst case scenario here is really just another lovely amount of focus on a poorly written romance.
Please. Anything but this :negative:

quote:

This is a series that has prominent single, childless middle aged people, a long history of well rounded women, a blind girl a single mother of two, and I'm sure there's more poo poo I'm forgetting.
I think Zuko's uncharacteristically UGLY scar is also something worth noting. Usually scars are cute or badass (like across one's nose or chest), it's quite rare to see them be so... hideous.

PiedPiper fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 30, 2014

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Also tell them not to touch The Great Divide (11th episode of Book One). Ever.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

i hate meatloaf posted:

The Blue Spirit is the first full episode I watched and it got me into the rest of the show. Yeah it works better if you know the characters, but it's the best episode in book 1 for showing off the excellent fight choreography and animation.

Are you me? This is literally, word for word, how this show hooked me.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

My friend and I delved into many serious discussions on what bending is the most OP (because gently caress doing something meaningful and worthwhile). The recent season has thrown some new factors into play, namely lavabending and flight, so the results are far from certain.

To sum up:
Firebending
- Fire manipulation
- Heat manipulation (possible on contact; shown when Iroh heated up his cup of tea or when Zuko melted the ice from below near the end of LoA Season 1)
- Breath of fire (just like airbenders, firebenders are capable of bending with their mouth)
- Blue flames (as far as I remember, only Azula has shown this ability)
- Lightning (evidence indicates that it was used almost exclusively by royal family before LoK; also redirection of lightning)
- Combustion (Combustion Man and P'Li, very rare ability)
- Jet propulsion, flight (quite limited, Sozin's Comet and Avatar State greatly augment this ability)
Earthbending
- Earth manipulation (this includes crystals, like at the end of LoA Season 2)
- Sandbending (rare but not that hard to master as both Toph and Aang have shown proficiency in it, not to mention all those sand nomads)
- Dust manipulation
- Metalbending (according to Suyin, everyone is capable of it)
- Seismic sense (Toph, Lin and Aang are capable of it, possibly more earthbenders are as well)
- Lie detection (impossible to say how many are capable but Toph was not the only one)
- Lavabending (according to the creators, there are some prerequisites)
- Mudbending
Waterbending
- Water manipulation (this includes phase change)
- Healing
- Bloodbending (it has very demanding conditions; Yakone and his sons had another, more potent version of bloodbending)
- Steam and cloud manipulation
- Plantbending (technically it still is water manipulation)
- Mudbending
Airbending
- Air manipulation
- Breath of wind (used mainly for jokes, can be used to augment the sound volume)
- Hypersensitivity (passive air currents may warn airbenders of a coming threat)
- Cloud manipulation (especially when combined with waterbending)
- Suction, vacuum (see Earth Queen)
- Speed and agility augmentation, limited gliding
- Spiritual projection (Jinora)
- Flight (Guru Laghima, Zaheer; very demanding conditions)

Did I miss something?

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

DoctorWhat posted:

Fartbending.

Meelo really one-upped his father with that invention.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Nephthys posted:

In Roku's flashback with the volcano, was Sozen bending the heat out of the volcano or steam? It looked like steam but he was cooling the lava enough that it turned back into rock.

That was badass, Mako shoulda tried that.

I actually wrote that steam manipulation part but then reconsidered because Sozin was clearly redirecting heat, not manipulating hot steam. Steam was there to make it obvious to the audience.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Applewhite posted:

So I only just got caught up (I watched the whole of season 3 in marathon over the past week). First off:
How awesome was this?

I know I'm not the only person who cheered at that part.
It'd be funny if P'Li had the ability to cancel her attack, so she'd live but has to stumble around awkwardly while wearing that makeshift helmet for the rest of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Thanks, you wonderful Internet guy!

Edit: was the bespectacled lady sitting beside Zuko his daughter or just a random secretary?

PiedPiper fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 26, 2014

• Locked thread