Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Lol this stupid derail is a moot point, the shooter in this case had a separate flashlight from his weapon. He drew a flashlight and also his gun if the news can be trusted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

mlmp08 posted:

I'm sure you're trolling but for those who don't know, even departments that mount lights on pistols issue flashlights. It's far more common to lack a weapon light than lack a flashlight.

I'm not trolling at all? NYPD training is atrocious. Although it's interesting to learn that he did in fact have a separate light. Sounds like good old hypervigilance (or straight-up murder and lying).

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
It's a good thing he had a tactically mounted flashlight so that he could identify his target before murdering him. I guess the light should have been brighter?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Powercrazy posted:

It's a good thing he had a tactically mounted flashlight so that he could identify his target before murdering him. I guess the light should have been brighter?

No, they just forgot to include "you don't have 3 hands" at the academy:

quote:

Liang, who had his gun in his left hand and a flashlight in his right, has said the weapon accidentally discharged when he opened a stairwell door with the same hand that held the gun.
A neighbor said Liang has practically been a recluse since the tragedy.
“I’ve been very worried about him,” the woman said. “He’s been inside every day since the accident.”

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I'd like to call more attention to this:

quote:

Instead of rendering first aid to Gurley, the paper reported, the officers were texting their union representatives.

If anything, it just shows he was far more worried about covering his own rear end than for the man he just "accidentally" put a hole in.

If I accidentally shot someone on a gun range or something, I sure as hell wouldn't think to call my lawyer first.

"Hey, I just shot someone. I just want to make sure you know in case you have to represent me... No, I mean literally just now, he's still laying on the ground... No, you're the first person I called, should I have called someone else?"

xergm fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 12, 2015

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Don't worry, you don't have to be holding a gun or anything to be shot by a cop:

quote:

Los Angeles police were investigating on Thursday the shooting of a 15-year-old boy who was shot and wounded by a police officer who saw a person next to the teenager pointing what turned out to be a replica gun, police said.
Good shoot, right?

quote:

"Officers saw that individual pointing the firearm at another individual," a police statement said. "Officers ordered him to drop the weapon multiple times. The individual ignored the officer's commands and an officer-involved shooting occurred."

The 15-year-old, who was not identified, was shot once in the upper back, while the person who had been holding the replica was not injured. The wounded boy was treated at a local hospital and released to his mother after the incident in a south Los Angeles alley, police said. No arrests have been made.
Probably will be more to this, seems to be breaking news.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Yeah, and the holder of the replica gun will be charged with the shooting.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

xergm posted:

"Hey, I just shot someone. I just want to make sure you know in case you have to represent me... No, I mean literally just now, he's still laying on the ground... No, you're the first person I called, should I have called someone else?"

Looks like he didn't text the union rep. Just argued with his partner about calling it in to protect his own job.

NYTimes posted:

For four minutes, a New York City police officer who had just fired his gun into a darkened housing project stairwell argued with his partner over whether to tell their superiors about the shot.

I also heard an NPR segment claiming after the argument ended Liang proceeded to walk down the flight of stairs to Gurly and instead of rendering first aid, simply stepped over the body into the hallway.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So if his partner would not have been there calling him out, he would've just bolted?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Powercrazy posted:

I can't decide if D&D is full of more trolls or more illiterate people.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Tragic situations like this are why we need THE ALTERNATIVE.

mlmp08 posted:

I can't decide if D&D is full of more trolls or more illiterate people.
"I know you were responding to a different point entirely, but I'm just going to keep going as if you were talking about what I want to talk about. Now check out this sick burn."

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Trabisnikof posted:

Thats why GiP is a lovely forum, correct.

The question about flashlights was posted in gip and answered without any mocking.

Sorry to ruin your burn.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Crossposting from the GIP cop thread

Smiling Jack posted:

The NYPD does not authorize weapon mounted flashlights for anyone except a very very small subset of ESU.

Flashlights must be purchased privately and are hand held.

It'll be a cold day in hell before a NYPD patrol cop gets a weapon mounted flashlight.

The NYPD is extremely resistant to new equipment, typewriters were in wide use until 2012.

Edit: poo poo, until this month the NYPD wouldn't even replace expired bullet resistant vests. You got one. After that you were expected to buy your own.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Thats why GiP is a lovely forum, correct.

So lovely that they use it as a staging ground for invading better threads in better subs! I guess it's not as much fun being an obnoxious dipshit if you don't have any place to run back to for high fives and attaboys.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

So throw a rock in Pasco, Washington and you get 13 bullets in return.

Seems a teeny tiny bit excessive, but the officer, no wait, there were 3 of them. The Officers, felt threatened, especially after they shot at him and he ran away.

Maybe the IDF could use some help, I hear they have 2500 Palestinian rock throwing incidents a year.

But wait, they don't normally shoot the thrower, and when they do, its kind of a big deal.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Lol IDF is more humane than US cops.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Well cops don't level city blocks. They lack the resources :v:

But now you're just trying to prod the wasp nest by bringing up I/P and we all know it.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Vahakyla posted:

Lol IDF is more humane than US cops.

Woah now, lets not get too crazy here.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

mlmp08 posted:

Well cops don't level city blocks. They lack the resources :v:

I'm glad we didn't make it 3 posts before you were not allowed to get away with this lie.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

SedanChair posted:

I'm glad we didn't make it 3 posts before you were not allowed to get away with this lie.

Well I was making a joke and knew full well the would be examples. I mean, didn't some cops take part in the Tulsa race riots complete with air support?

Sometimes jokes aren't strictly factual. The :v: is used as a social cue that someone is not entirely serious hth.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Woozy posted:

So lovely that they use it as a staging ground for invading better threads in better subs! I guess it's not as much fun being an obnoxious dipshit if you don't have any place to run back to for high fives and attaboys.

:ironicat:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Yes, we all like to high-five each other for being SJWs. Then we get together at Denny's and everyone stays away from our table because they despise and fear us.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SedanChair posted:

Yes, we all like to high-five each other for being SJWs. Then we get together at Denny's and everyone stays away from our table because they despise and fear us.

I didn't call you any names, but there certainly is a rich exchange program between D&D and GiP. Mostly the people coming into GiP from D&D act extremely combative and ridiculous until they run away after nobody bites, then they come back here and talk about how the Murderer's Playground Forum wouldn't take them seriously. On the other hand, you have Cole coming in to run suicide attacks every once in a while so sorry about that one.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I didn't call you any names, but there certainly is a rich exchange program between D&D and GiP. Mostly the people coming into GiP from D&D act extremely combative and ridiculous until they run away after nobody bites, then they come back here and talk about how the Murderer's Playground Forum wouldn't take them seriously. On the other hand, you have Cole coming in to run suicide attacks every once in a while so sorry about that one.

i'm trying to understand the radical islam mindframe but without all the killing

it's a social experiment.

e: for what it's worth things generally start out very good and then people don't agree with what i say and go nuts over it rather than debating and discussing it

Cole fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 13, 2015

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

MattO posted:

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2015/02/indian_citizen_stopped_by_madi.html

Grandfather visiting Alabama from India stopped by police while taking walk, left partly paralyzed

Madison police last week roughed up a 57-year-old Indian citizen who was walking on the sidewalk outside his son's home, leaving the older man temporarily paralyzed and hospitalized with fused vertebrae.

"He was just walking on the sidewalk as he does all the time," said his son, Chirag Patel, this morning. "They put him to the ground."

No crime had been committed. Madison Police on Monday issued a statement saying the department had suspended the officer and were investigating the use of force in this case. The police statement wished the man a "speedy recovery."

I bet one of the neighborhood nit-wits called in about a "suspicious-looking black guy" pacing up and down their block. If he had been black, you probably wouldn't see this:

quote:

MADISON, Ala. (WHNT) – Madison Police Chief Larry Muncey says he has recommended one of his officers be terminated after an incident last week that left a 57-year-old Indian man severely injured. The officer has also been charged with third-degree assault.

Chief Muncey spoke at a news conference Thursday afternoon, discussing the department’s use of force investigation into the incident. Police showed video and audio of officers’ encounter with the man. Afterward, Chief Muncey said the actions of Officer Eric Parker did not meet the standards of the Madison Police Department.

“I sincerely apologize to Mr. Patel, Mr. Patel’s family and our community. We strive to exceed expectations,” said Chief Muncey. He said he has proposed Officer Parker be terminated, and he has also been arrested for third-degree assault. Parker turned himself in on the charge.

http://whnt.com/2015/02/12/madison-police-to-hold-news-conference-today-support-coming-for-indian-man-badly-injured/

Madison's the suburb of a tech town (Huntsville) and those Indian IT guys are their golden calves. No wonder they're throwing that cop to the wind instead of creating some BS cover story.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah who started the bullshit about the cop using his gun mounted flashlight? It's been NYPD practice since the 80s to always have your gun drawn while doing a vertical patrol (because never relax around at risk youths) and after the incident there were tons of op-eds in NYC papers asking why this relic of the late 80s early 90s high crime period is still in use.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Everyday Lurker posted:

I bet one of the neighborhood nit-wits called in about a "suspicious-looking black guy" pacing up and down their block. If he had been black, you probably wouldn't see this:

http://whnt.com/2015/02/12/madison-police-to-hold-news-conference-today-support-coming-for-indian-man-badly-injured/

Madison's the suburb of a tech town (Huntsville) and those Indian IT guys are their golden calves. No wonder they're throwing that cop to the wind instead of creating some BS cover story.

That's great, though. Tough takedowns are usually cheered by americans and even if one dude gets into trouble for them, it's a benefit.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Equine Don posted:

I invite all sworn law enforcement officers to Debate and Discussion for the grand reopening of the Ferguson thread!

Edit:

Untagged posted:

I'm really enjoying my posting experience in your thread so far. Any chance to make D&D collectively have their panties wad because a viewpoint they don't agree with exists in that forum makes me giggle.

Woozy fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 13, 2015

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

*when we see you post in gip we won't care about your credentials

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Cool if I'm ever a divorced alcoholic with ptsd I'll drop by and say hello

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Woozy posted:

Cool if I'm ever a divorced alcoholic with ptsd I'll drop by and say hello

we aren't all divorced, some of us can't get anyone to be our future ex-wife.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Cole posted:

we aren't all divorced, some of us can't get anyone to be our future ex-wife.

I thought all you had to do was ring a cowbell at the bus stop in front of the Tacoma Mall.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Cole, I take back all that I've said in the past. You are a good poster.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
It's a reasonable outcome, but I have a suspicion that if a non-cop inflicted that level of injury, they'd be looking at felony assault charges.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Woah woah woah, woah. This thread is cool... :v::hf::v:.

Cole posted:

*when we see you post in gip we won't care about your credentials

Truth.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Woozy posted:

It's the only subforum that actually proclaims to be a safe space and has a mod ready every day to defend it after all.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Evil_Greven posted:

Don't worry, you don't have to be holding a gun or anything to be shot by a cop:

Good shoot, right?

Probably will be more to this, seems to be breaking news.

I love this passive voice bullshit when describing cop behaviour.

quote:

The individual ignored the officer's commands and an officer-involved shooting occurred.

All these officer-involved shootings floating around the country just waiting for a poor cop to stumble upon them by chance. Nothing to do with the cop's actions at all, these things just happen sometimes, what can you do? *shrugs shoulders*

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Quick that man has rocks in his hand and is running away shoot (at) him (twenty)five times!

Everyday Lurker posted:

Also probably helps that he's Mr. Patel.

i am harry fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

SedanChair posted:

I thought all you had to do was ring a cowbell at the bus stop in front of the Tacoma Mall.

Holy poo poo. :roflolmao:

Alternatively: ring a cowbell anywhere local high school girls congregate. Pretty sure JBLM dudes love the 16 age of consent in WA State.

• Locked thread