Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
What do you guys have in the way of policy preferences? I'll cross-post mine from this month's politics thread.

---
For policy, in broad strokes, I like:
  • Demilitarization
  • Centralize law enforcement to state offices
  • Substantial civilian oversight for transparency, auditing and to function as liaison
  • Increase regulation
  • Increase funding
  • Rotate officers between postings & fields to mitigate burnout & clique-formation
  • Kick off reformation with a very public evisceration of corruption & Bad Apples
---

I've gotten some solid feedback in that thread about centralization, which was a concern about magnifying the effects of lovely state government on statewide policing, and about rotations, which was a concern about disrupting the ability of individual officers to really engage, and become known and trusted to, their communities.

Shown Below: Cop engaging the community

And the thinking behind increased funding is that it would allow for more cops to be hired and compensation to be increased. I'm always reading and hearing about how they never have time for smaller crimes and that we could do with higher quality personnel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

meat sweats posted:

If you're just going to admit that symbolic gestures in support of "union power" are more important to you than civil liberties and racial equality, then you are part of the problem.

Two million people incarcerated for nonviolent drug offenses. People shot by cops for sport on a daily basis. Militarization and legal impunity of police forces from Manhattan to small towns. But we can't get rid of fake public employee unions because that would decrease the number of people listed as being in unions, therefore literally any horror is acceptable to maintain the current system.

Then keep the discussion to police unions rather than public sector unions writ large as others are doing.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

meat sweats posted:

All public sector unions should be illegal because they exist solely to thwart the will of the voters and break the law

Maybe in your head. You read any of the many recent articles about how, as measured by policy influence, the US is already a plutocracy? How can you be assuming capital's a non-factor regarding public unions?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

meat sweats posted:

Oh I didn't know that your Scientifically Accurate Plutometer had proven that allowing police to sodomize blacks with impunity is the only thing standing between the U.S. and a Hunger Games-esque dystopia (p > 0.05). That does change things.

A scourge of which we shall never be free until so long as teachers and postal workers are unionized

Let no man call himself free until the corporations hold all the cards

Edit: You know what? Let's just stop talking about Police Reform. Let's talk about how the first step to ending police abuse is smashing teachers unions and smashing the Post Office.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Edit: Ahh, gently caress it.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

meat sweats posted:

Why is "police should stop abusing people, drugs should be legal, there should be fewer people in prison, and racism is bad" a "bullshit policy" supported by "conservatives?"

It's your transparent attempt at packaging neoliberalism in terms salient to the left. "Destroying the unions? It's about stopping ~child-rapist cops~ and nothing else! Nothing else!"

Or, in other words: :cmon:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Pohl posted:

And the left is not demonizing the police in order to strengthen the police. I just don't even know what to say to that.

You tell him his rhetoric's incompetent, his poo poo's all retarded and he talks like a fag.

Miltank posted:

Police could have all the union they wanted if they had meaningful extradepartmental oversight.

That's the impression I get. I'm disappointed that this thread is flat loving retarded because I hoped we'd get something cops or people affiliated with law-enforcement might end up posting in. I'd love an inside perspective on oversight.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

SrgMagnum posted:

I'm against civilian oversight boards because in my experience they're nothing more than a chance for "community activists" to exert their own authority on people they view as oppressors.

How were the ones you dealt with set-up? Like, anything you remember about their powers, their purview, how was membership determined, etc. And if civilian oversight were non-optional, do you have opinions on how you'd want it set-up? Or at least on specific issues you'd like to avoid?

Also, you mentioned being in support of officer-mounted cameras. Anything else immediately come to mind as Good Ideas?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Rent-A-Cop posted:

What do you suggest? Your requirements seem to be that there not be any actual humans involved and that no one have any authority whatsoever lest it inevitably corrupt them. I mean, I suppose we could just go back to trial by combat and let God decide, but that seems like a step backward.

People aren't generally good at things so we have schooling and training and so on. Maybe generalized anti-corruption programs/agencies could be a thing?

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 30, 2014

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

The Ender posted:

Yes, he was twirling it around and holding it in cool poses, almost like he was emulating cool characters that he might've seen on TV / in films.

I'm sorry, but unless that gun was a professionally made prop, there is zero excuse. Toy guns look really, really fake after you've handled the real thing (and usually at least part of it is deliberate on the part of toy gun makers, who big big, gaudy, very obvious plastic markers on them - often on the end of the barrel & at the base of the stock. The cops knew they were going to shoot him before they even stepped out of the vehicle.

I don't think I'd recognize this as fake at a glance.

This is not to say the shooting wasn't a gently caress-up.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Dum Cumpster posted:

Then I really don't understand your reply to SedanChair.

This issue reminds me of the Heinz Problem, which is basically, "Dude steal medicine for wife. He can't afford it and the druggist is charging 10x cost." There's no wrong answer. Answers are merely rated according to what kind of moral reasoning is used.

As pertains to this, it sounds like Jarmok and SedanChair (and you) just differ on the degree to which Stage 4 (law-and-order) is superseded by Stage 5 (human rights) or Stage 6 (universal human ethics) on this issue.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 2, 2014

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
This discussion has me wondering what the effects of barring employers from inquiring about criminal records would be?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

"Now watch this drive..."

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
This might explain the Cleveland shooting: That cop's an idiot.

Maybe we need tighter psychological screenings?

quote:

CLEVELAND, Ohio — The Cleveland police officer who shot and killed 12-year-old Tamir Rice had issues with handling guns during his brief tenure with a suburban police department.

A Nov. 29, 2012 letter contained in Tim Loehmann's personnel file from the Independence Police Department says that during firearms qualification training he was "distracted" and "weepy."

"He could not follow simple directions, could not communicate clear thoughts nor recollections, and his handgun performance was dismal," according to the letter written by Deputy Chief Jim Polak of the Independence police.

The letter recommended that the department part ways with Loehmann, who went on to become a police officer with the Cleveland Division of Police.

"I do not believe time, nor training, will be able to change or correct the deficiencies," Polak said.

Independence released Loehmann's personnel file Wednesday, the day after Cleveland police released files for him and his partner during the shooting.

In an interview with the Northeast Ohio Media Group, Loehmann's father said that his son left Independence to pursue a job with Cleveland police because he wanted "more action."

The Independence report details a host of issues with Loehmann's performance as an officer during his short stint with the department.

Loehmann's troubles began in 2012 while he attended the Cleveland Heights Police Academy. An issue with an on-again, off-again girlfriend caused Loehmann distress and, in one case, he fell asleep during training, according to a written report from Independence Police Sgt. Greg Tinnirello.

Loehmann told Tinnirello that he cried often about his personal issue during training and Loehmann's mother told Tinnierello that her son's study papers "would be soaked in tears nightly for three months."

On Nov. 26, 2012, Loehmann was ordered to stay in the Independence police dispatch center. Loehmann left without authorization and lied to Tinnierello that the dispatchers told him he could leave, the letter says.

Loehmann eventually admitted to lying.

The problems at Independence erupted on Nov. 28, 2012, the records say. Loehmann showed up "sleepy and upset" for a 6 a.m. state gun qualification session.

Tinnierello wrote that Loehmann "was distracted and was not following simple instructions" at the shooting range.

At one point, he went to the back of the range to reload his magazine and could not return to the line where he was supposed to shoot from, Tinnierello wrote. Loehmann appeared to be crying and was emotionally upset so Tinnierello said they would stop the exercise for the day.

Tinnierello and Loehmann talked about Loehmann's personal problems as they made the 40-minute drive to Atwells Police Supply to pick up a bulletproof vest for Loehmann.

Loehmann told Tinnierello that he "was unclear where his future was headed" and thought about quitting when Tinnierello told him he would continue training until Independence police thought he could handle the job.

"Loehmann stated 'that just makes me want to quit,'" Tinnierello replied, according to Tinnierello.

Tinnierello reported the information to Polak. The two decided to send Loehmann home for the day and call his parents because they were concerned for his well-being. The three met the next day.

Loehmann told his supervisors that he spoke with two friends, a priest and a Cleveland police officer about how to deal with personal stress at work. Loehmann expressed his frustration about for a small police department in Independence instead of living in New York where he could be close to friends.

He told Polak that he wanted to work at the New York Police Department where his father worked for 20 years.

Polak concluded his report by saying that Loehmann lacked the maturity to understand the severity of his breakdown on the shooting range.

"Unfortunately in law enforcement there are times when instructions need to be followed to the letter and I am under the impression that Ptl. Loehmann, under certain circumstances, will not react in the way instructed," Polak wrote.

ascii genitals posted:

A prosecutor can get a grand jury to indict a ham sandwich, but never a whole pig.

Better flow.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

awesmoe posted:

Associating "having a degree" with "being a better quality person" was a really nice little twist there at the end, but overall this just isn't incendiary to stir up more than a quarter page of argument. I rate it 3 trollfaces out of five.

You don't think people benefit from education?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

awesmoe posted:

You've shifted the goalposts from 'a degree' to education. I'm going to argue the original point.

Nope, a degree certifies education.

"Do you think the benefits of education would benefit police?," is where I wanted this to go.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 5, 2014

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

KomradeX posted:

So the NYPD is forming a new Anti-terrorism squad that will also be used to suppress protests.

http://gothamist.com/2015/01/29/nypd_machine_guns.php

Because these two missions are exactly the same so it only makes sense right?

There was a hubbub a few years ago when it turned out DoD training materials and examinations considered protests to be "low-level terrorism." Institutionally, they're considered the same problem. How those two got linked, gently caress if I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Jarmak posted:

It actually makes sense if you think of it as a spectrum of "civil unrest"

With tunnel vision, though. You can't think of Law & Order solely in the context of upholding the law and preserving order. You've got to think of it in a broader context which accounts liberty, privacy, rights, etc.. Otherwise, fascism and police states are logical, too.

And failing to think of it in terms of everything else will also make it harder to see, and easier to forget, the difference between varying grades of civil unrest and straight up terrorism, and what we've wrapped up in how we respond to 'terrorism.'

Edit: I forgot to add a last paragraph where I say I think this is what's happening. As alluring as conspiracy explanations are, I think this kind of phenomena is a conflux of bog standard military-industrial-congressional profiteering and institutional tunnel vision, because the thinking is solely in the context of upholding law and preserving order, without accounting for everything else, like civil rights or privacy.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 30, 2015

• Locked thread