Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
So, what did people think of the guitarchat derail? Suitably metaphorical?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

XyloJW posted:

*invites beautiful woman back to his apartment, turns down the lights, pours some fine wine, puts on a record of traditional Khmer folk songs as played by the survivors of the Cambodian genocide.*

It's tough, kid, but it's life.
(In honor of your avatar)

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Avshalom posted:

e: If you have any questions for Ariel, please direct them via me.

So was that you Grandpa sold arms to back in '45-46?

On a more serious note, you know what's good? Ostrich. Ostrich is like turkey that tastes like beef.

Also, I like TAS Batman. It's very clear in a lot of quiet ways that Bruce Wayne does quite a lot to clean up Gotham the hard way, from social services to giving felons a second chance to college scholarships to encouraging public works from other rich people to environmental sanctuaries to taking over and cleaning up more toxic companies.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 1, 2014

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Herge is from Belgium. That's a thing, right? (Tintin. In this forum, most known for the Gingrich/In The Congo mashup.)

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
The original song is generally much better, to be honest.
Mickey and Sylvia: Love Is Strange
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCvcZhX7oxk
Pitbull: Back in Time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaSZE194D4I

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Amtrak. It's Joe Biden approved!

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

How do people in the east survive during the summer, anyway?

Heck, I don't even have an AC. Never reaches above 115 anyhow.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

ErichZahn posted:

It turns out my dad wasn't with Ollie North! He's just a piece of human poo poo who lied about everything other than being a Republican! He's a fake marine instead of a real one so I don't need to deal with any awkward poo poo at all!

I had the opposite experience. All the bullshit stories my dad told wound up being proved true. Including knowing one of the guys who was there when Che was killed.

In food news: Pizza Hutt has a TMNT pizza special. I am being highly amused by people who are not general Ninja(Hero) Turtle fans discovering they like the Mikey. (Pepperoni, Pineapple, Jalepeno)

Right now, I am working on writing a video game. I have discovered a logically necessary design task has never been done in games that anyone can notice. This both confuses me and makes me very happy. It's not even that difficult. The closest analogy is one of those shoot em up end bosses with the three parts you had to shoot in the right order.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 13, 2014

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

razorrozar posted:

Pineapple on pizza is a goddamn travesty. :can:

This sounds quite interesting, can you expand on it?

Sadly, no. It's very, very boring unless you're making a video game, and then it's 'trade secret' level stuff. The interesting part is I accidentally a whole trade secret by thinking it was obvious.

Also, you don't like pineapple on pizza. Even if it makes the cheese disintegrate.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

XyloJW _was_ looking for a new avatar. Make it bouncing up and down in a 'yes' and I think we have something. Or sideways in a 'no'.

You wanna know what's delicious? A chunk of good old New York Cheddar with a slice of New York Apple Pie.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I'm going to guess it was a outflow of the Don Ho hawaiian tiki fad of the 1960s, because if it was authentic, it'd have spam on it. But it does have ham on it. Hm.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
So you can't handle spicy food?

Dad learned to cook barbeque down in Fort Worth. I never knew how hot the stuff he was cooking was until I went eating with other people and was horribly perplexed by their reactions to indian food. "... what? This green pepper is hot?"

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 14, 2014

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Music talk? It's closing time, time for you to go now, to the places you might be from.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

comes along bort posted:

e: Anyone seen these popping up lately? I guess it's the new hotness in publicly announcing you have tiny genitalia:

That has just got to be begging for massive C&D orders from the companies involved due to improper use of trademarked elements.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I had a realization the other day about ponies. Ever since they became popular, I've seen massive amounts less Homestuck about. And given that the troll typing makes my eyes burn, for this, I thank them.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

ReindeerF posted:

Sorry.

Sewth Effrickens awl leev een puhth neaw thanks to theh blehcks.

You're speaking kind of strine, man.

(I had an Aussie 'nanny' for the first few years of my life. (read: foreign exchange student my mom, the teacher, put up.) I still have traces of the accent and slip fully into it now and again.)

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 15, 2014

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodity_Futures_Trading_Commission#Crude_oil_derivatives_and_futures:_speculation_or_fundamentals

quote:

Crude oil derivatives and futures: speculation or fundamentals

Since 1991 the CFTC has given secret exemptions from hedging regulations to 19 major banks and market participants, allowing them to accumulate essentially unlimited positions.[21] These exemptions came to light only after the 2008 financial crisis had unfolded and Congress requested information on market participants. A trader or bank granted an exemption as a bona-fide hedger can affect the price of a commodity without being either its producer or consumer.[22]

In December 2007 during the subprime mortgage crisis, the CFTC began investigating transportation, storage and trading of U.S. crude oil for price manipulation, which included a probe of U.S. crude oil futures.[23] [notes 2] By May 2008, when the price of crude oil futures showed a meteoric rise of 40% to a record $US 135 a barrel there were concerns that the record prices may have been the result of "manipulation or fraud."[23] Michael Haigh, head of U.S. commodities research in New York at Societe Generale SA, and former CFTC associate chief economist, said in an interview “It’s unprecedented for the CFTC to say that they are in the midst of an investigation.[..] “They may be under pressure from Congress to look at this market given the high prices.” Some argued that crude oil market fundamentals drive the price, not the speculative market.[24]

On June 25, 2008 Speaker Pelosi sent a letter to President Bush calling on him to direct the CFTC to use its emergency powers to take immediate action to curb excessive speculation in energy markets, to investigate all energy contracts and that despite growing reports of excessive speculation in energy markets, the CFTC refused to take actions they have taken in the past.[25] The Energy Markets Emergency Act of 2008 was a failed bill that would have attempted to curb excessive speculation in the energy futures markets.

In a campaign speech August 2008 presidential candidate Barack Obama argued that loopholes in CFTC regulations contributed to skyrocketing prices and lack of transparency on oil markets.[26]

In April 2010 Reuters reported that of the "40 major figures in the oil industry, including traders and analysts at some of the largest banks, trading houses and oil companies" interviewed, the vast majority (73 percent) thought increased speculation boosted prices beyond what supply and demand fundamentals dictated.[27] Peregrine Financial Group analyst Phil Flynn argued that in terms of supply and demand fundamentals, oil markets were only the messenger.[27] By April the CFTC began to "rein in" speculation in energy and commodity trading, especially oil, and proposed limiting the number of futures contracts financial players can hold at any one time." [27]

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Discendo Vox posted:

Sorry, I just finished grinding up and snorting a copy of Hacker's A Writer's Reference, 5th Ed, and now I'm tripping semes. Good stuff.

I might could ought should do that myself sometime.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

cheerfullydrab posted:

It's odd. Things that happen here seem to fall into a news void.

Do you think that's why people forget where Joe Biden comes from?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Don't forget the dog from The Dam Busters. Which is basically preventing the movie from being remade, because A: it's historically the dog's name, and B: you know the end scene from the trench run in Star Wars.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Thanatosian posted:

Shabazz Palace just came out with a new album.

Deltron 3030 came out with their second album, Event 2.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
How about some Ebola? Got to stay up with the times.
E;FB.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

zoux posted:

Israel definitely has nukes.

Yeah, well, Japan can have nukes in about fifteen minutes, I believe. The parts are just not assembled.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Betcha it doesn't cover the one I know about with the F-111. First test of the nuclear device mount. They bring the bomb out, put it on the cart to hustle it to the plane. Cart gets pulled over. Starts to wobble. Both wheels on one side fall off. Bomb falls off the cart, starts rolling towards the crew chief.

Sure, it was safed, but man, not a happy day.

Apparently they forgot to reverse thread the ... I wanna say the right wheels.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
You get better MPG on ethanol-free, too.
Edit: Why would you think Ethanol is environmentally friendly? It's just a bad idea all around. Yes, it's made out of corn, but that just causes other problems.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Not Mitt, he's a human wearing a human suit.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Star Wars. Spent half the movie turned around to stare at the lights from the multiple projectors cutting shafts of glowing and moving dust in the old theater.

It was gorgeous.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Big Trouble In Little China is a good movie. Not a great movie, but a good movie.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Swan Oat posted:

I would like to use this post to wish President Barack Hussein Obama a very happy birthday.

Shut up. Shut up. SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UPPPPPPPPPPP!

If you shut up I'll give you twenty bucks oh poo poo no you'll call me forever augh!

(How many of those drat emails y'all get?)

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I actually backed this.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/714810375/elixirs-of-pain

quote:

Anguish: The sweet one. Think of running through a field, getting kicked in the face and landing on a bushel of raspberries.

Grief: When tasting grief, it's mildly sweet, it's savory, and it's generally pleasant the way a five-day roadtrip with the in-laws would be. (Allergy notice: contains organic honey)

Sorrow: You're in Germany and you're hungry so you stop at a food cart. Why, if you're here, do they have curry sauce on their wurst? This is something like that, only it kicks like a mule and the heat lingers like a one-night-stand that wants breakfast.

Distress: Tastes like the morning after a Tennessee party. A bit like smoke, a lot like whiskey, and with a moral hangover you won't be able to shake off for months to come. (Contains a minimal amount of alcohol)

Bane (Special Batch): Like getting in a fight with a child. You can't win, you can't kick them back. It's very elementary and simple, but it still makes you angry and it burns to the core. My personal favorite since it's the most versatile.

Torment: Scared of going to Mexico because of all the gang and drug related violence? This is that Mexico you don't know and therefore fear. It's less spicy than what you'd imagine but the rabbit hole sinks deeper than you ever fathomed.

Bane and Torment were my favorite, but Grief was good.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Thanatosian posted:

Horses are really the worst. They're enormous, incredibly strong, and scared of loving everything. They will murder you by accident because something 1/1000th their size moved too quickly in their peripheral vision.

You forgot incredibly fragile, too. Oh god the legs.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

zoux posted:

I am now adding lions to the list of animals that I demand be domesticated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lugqyjbENME

I'm pretty sure lions are basically exactly as domesticated as cats are. Or within the rough spectrum.
The major difference is size. When your cat gets pissed at you and tries to bite, you spray it with a water bottle.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

SedanChair posted:

I think you could do that with a lion. However, he may pop your head like a grape if he takes exception.

Exactly my point. Since you're so much bigger than your cat, he is forced to simply try to do it with his mental powers.
This is largely pure internet theory based on watching lots of videos, but every time I see a great cat video, I am struck by the vast similarity of behavior between the great and small cats. (And yes, I'm including the 'if I fits, I sits' pictures.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J11uu8L8FTY) Lions, when treated well, appear to have a very good record of being loving, incredibly huggy cats. (You've seen the video of the lion hugging the guy with his full body, while scent-marking his face with the lion's cheeks?) (not this one, but I like this one.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8yqoyaSPOI

There are, in fact, multiple notable incidents of 'pet lions'.

It's just that if things go wrong, they go _really wrong_.

And given the behavior of your typical cat, I'm willing to say that it'd go 'really wrong' more than enough times to maim a person.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 8, 2014

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Man, I hate not being able to find the video I'm thinking of. There's a guy walking up to a cage, and then he opens the door, and the lion leaps out (lioness, I think) and does this claw-claw-rake thing, except it's all hugging and marking the guy.

Here's more hugging lions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdhovtVB1Bg

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Solkanar512 posted:

Touché, but I have no regrets a year after getting my BRZ.

I strongly considered the BRZ. Miserable in snow. Also, not quite enough raw power.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Solkanar512 posted:

A few inches of snow is really fun, but that's all we ever really get here.

What did you end up with instead? WRX?

Focus ST. (Fiesta wasn't out yet, nor was the new WRX.) And with the blizzards we had that year I regret nothing. I actually wound up side by side stuck in traffic with a BRZ owner and we had a good twenty second yell back and forth about the winter. Shame.

Car plus passenger glamour shot, for the hell of it.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 9, 2014

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Braking Gnus posted:

He was Babychoom from the Eastern European thread if you read that.

I believe that was BabyChoom trying to ruin his reputation. Someone who I am willing to say was a mod, said they checked the IPs and it was not.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Cheekio posted:

I consider participating in The Libertarian Thread to be a harmless perversion only to be discussed between consenting adults, but in this case I have to bring it up.

Does the page 23 of the Libertarian Thread load for anyone else?

This one

Page 22 seems just fine.

Hail Eris.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I'm sad. I was just talking about getting the first piece of spam the other day, it being the anniversary and all. And people were going all wide-eyed 'You were on the internet THEN?'

And I was 'No, I was on the internet five years earlier if you count the sneaking on the local university's Suns.'

Feeling ancient, maaaaaan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

R. Mute posted:

a friend of mine recently started working at an app start-up and even through all her relentless optimism and denial, it sounds pretty horrible. it was a two-man deal when she came on, with one guy being The Money and one guy being Actually Useful and it's all falling apart already. the Money keeps making promises to customers they can't keep, skips meetings at random, doesn't actually know the value of money and fucks everything up. like how they're getting a visit from a process server this week because they ended their contract with a particular company a year ago... but they forgot to actually tell that company and now they own like a lot of money. or how they forgot to extend their application for subsidies and now have to pretend like the application got lost in the mail or go bankrupt. now they're even borrowing money from another start-up those two guys are involved with, just to stay afloat.

they'll probably be bankrupt in less than a year (their app is kinda rubbish anyway) and my friend will have learned a lot about "making do" and "committing borderline-fraud" - or as it's called on your cv "creative problem solving"

Every one of these stories makes me go 'oh thank god my startup isn't that hosed up, relatively speaking.' Then I go 'god I wish I had one of those money guys.' Then I go 'maybe I don't.'

• Locked thread