Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Thanatosian posted:

Was anyone else--after reading the "Jamie Dimon has cancer" headlines--really disappointed to find out that his prognosis is good?

This is proof to me that the world is not a just place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
my sister was in a high school production of titus andronicus, set in 1920s gangsterland chicago

it translated surprisingly well

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

site posted:

I never read Shakespeare in school and I have no intension of going to back to read any now. I challenge you guys you tell me how this makes me not worthy of being called a responsible citizen. Cite me passages that belong in my political philosophy courses.

counterpoint: without shakespeare we wouldn't have had 10 Things I Hate About You

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I heard that MIGF is secretly a park ranger and thus a natural enemy for bears

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

i know this white guy from denton who told me he read ender's game sophomore year for class

freshman year my english teacher read ender's game aloud

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Jagchosis posted:

since everyone is talking about high school anyway what was your guys' favorite book you had to read for high school? mine was candide, holy poo poo that was funny

i couldn't tell you, having a teacher read ender's game to the class was actually the last time any of my teachers made us read a book except shakespeare

i went to some terrible high schools

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Cool Bear posted:

Oh also peep this right here: Subtle reference to slightly obscure work that only smart people will get

you're right, let's talk about twilight and 50 shades of grey

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Murakumi absolutely writes what would be called genre fiction in anyone else's hands, but he doesn't go in the book ghetto because

idc tho because it's really good

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

nutranurse posted:

:shrug: i'd argue that magical realism isn't genre, but i can see why people say it is

He straight up wrote a book about clones being raised on organ farms, come on son

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I gave in to peer pressure in high school and watched some anime

it was mostly bad, but i did like cowboy bebop a little

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

icantfindaname posted:

I'm 5'9 and I haven't weighed 120 pounds since I was in middle school. I'm pretty sure that's close to literal malnourishment territory for someone taller than me

poo poo, i'm 5'6" and 120 would be starvation territory for me

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
ok so i've applied to a couple grad schools but i haven't heard back yet, the problem is that i logged into one of my accounts and one of my professors hasn't sent the recommendation yet, after a month

should i just succumb to the inevitable despair of failure? or just keep drinking and hope he gets it done?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

comes along bort posted:

sometimes you gotta get on their asses about stuff because they're busy

also you should have backup recs because invariably one prof will turn out to be a flake

this one is by far my strongest rec and I'd hate to condemn myself to failure because i wasn't confident enough to talk to him about it

just sent a reminder message, hope he gets it in time

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's like herding cats. It doesn't get better when you're applying for post-docs, let me tell you buddy.

What field are you applying for?

it's just for a master's in public policy, i'd think it would be a pretty easy thing to get, but so far the process has been long and stressful and i'm not even in yet

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

My Imaginary GF posted:

nooooo

don't do it

especially not at UChicago

haha you think i'd leave the best state in the country for loving illinois? no, applied at usc, uw, cgu

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
case western, but only because i have family in cleveland

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
lol isn't harvard kennedy where rich people go to jerk each other off over the idea of public service to people that they despise

or is that every grad school

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I don't have the luxury of getting drunk on Friday night, since I have to work early today. Tonight's date is a different story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Ok, give me your best sartorial tips for uggos/fatties per the new thread title you cannot deny me

• Locked thread