Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Why would they fire him over that though? Isn't that just Australian homebrew? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

forbidden lesbian posted:

actually, good comedy is funny

XyloJW posted:

Yeah the whole "comedy punches up" thing is a silly trope. Plenty of good comedy is mean spirited or just doesn't punch up or down, it's irrelevant.

Well mod opinions like this sure does provide insight into why GBS is "lol niggers and faggots and kikes".

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Huge Liability posted:

This is the first time I've seen a photo of this man and I'm laughing because one of my coworkers went on a rant yesterday about how the ISIS leader looks exactly like Osama bin Laden. Come on, he's not even close! That's either racism or PYF-grade face blindness.

Another person here has a locker full of goofy stuff including a pic of Bart Simpson writing GOOGLE AGENDA 21 on the chalkboard. These are still by far the nicest people I've worked with as a temp, though. I can't complain.

All of my temp work experiences have been with the really loony types who would ramble on at me about chemtrails and how it's only smart to be anti-vax and oh did you know GMOs cause cancer? I'm so loving glad I don't do temp work anymore because out of the 5 companies I moved between 4 of them were staffed by the caricatures that D&D normally creates for conservatives/loony people. It was a rough year and a half.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

How are u posted:

Have you never even been to the west coast jeez son

The west coast is mad expensive. :saddowns:

Then again so is the mid-Atlantic.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Chantilly Say posted:

Now, what do we mean when we say "mid-atlantic" because there are parts of that that are cool and there are parts of that next to which I would rather live almost anywhere else.

The DC-to-NYC corridor of urban development

It includes NoVA (Northern Virginia) too, I guess.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Oh god, why would someone do this.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

paranoid randroid posted:

You Romans, you make a dessert and call it pizza.

I laughed really hard at this.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Between the ages of 11 and 14 I had 2 CD's because my mother was a controlling jesus freak who didn't want me listening to devil music. Those CD's? Linkin Park Meteora and Hybrid Theory. I listened to them every day for roughly 3 years and can recite the lyrics for every song perfectly. :cripes:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

hahaha

i have to admit i'm almost fond of linkin park just for how charmingly, unpretentiously teenaged their music is.

I have no doubt in my mind that half the reason I was such an angsty teen was because I listened to so much linkin park.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

kohen gadols have moderate hat game

more importantly, that fukken apron

I want that apron.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

zoux posted:

Mallory Ortberg's Objectivist Harry Potter series loving owns.

Ortberg's one of my favorite internet writers.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Peta posted:

Hello, I know very little of TV news quality. How good is Al Jazeera America compared to MSNBC/CNN/BBC

It's like comparing the sun to your mom's hemorrhoids.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Peta posted:

Really? I heard Al Jazeera was good but Al Jazeera America got dumbed down or something

That's a tried meme that was yelled from the mountain tops because U.S. getting ALJA meant that they arbitrarily cut U.S. off from ALJE (which I still protest, but you can get around it really easily).

I was angry at first too, but ALJA isn't bad/dumbed down at all and it's nice to see an American-focused news station actually discussing news.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Given that Israel is an apartheid those kids would probably have become militants at some point! :suicide:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Dreylad posted:

Krispy Kreme tried to gain a foothold in Canada but was repelled by the indomitable Timbit. :canada:

I think they have a few stores but everyone fuckin loves Tim Horton's

One of the few things I loved about going to college in NW PA is that I discovered Tim Horton's.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

I second New Amsterdam for a decent gin that's not hard on the wallet!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Majorian posted:

(seriously, who tells the story of "The Iliad" and decides to remove the Greek gods from it?)

lol, what?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Majorian posted:

Definitely, and that's what makes me sad about that movie: most of the performances were good. Orlando Bloom was weak, quelle surprise, but everyone else did good stuff with what they were given. But starting from the premise of taking a Greek epic poem set in the Age of Heroes, and then taking out all the gods and magic and monsters and other fun stuff? Honestly, how could anybody have thought that was a good idea?

That's absolutely the most ridiculous decision you could make when doing a movie about Troy. It's like, wtf man, the Gods dicking around was the only way they could break up all the monotonous human stuff.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

ufarn posted:

Vaguely. I do remember watching this, though

:cry:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107131/

I remember having a phase where I was all about movies where animals were the stars; Homeward Bound (ALL OF THEM), Air Bud, and Ed are among the movies that I have fond membories about but refuse to re-watch lest I realize how bad they are.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

I've seen a(n already dying) relationship end because of diplomacy, true story.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Do Australians actually herd kangaroos in lieu of sheep?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

illrepute posted:

It's also my understanding that y'all have a poo poo-ton of camels for no reason that I can discern.

Are they Australian Demon Camels who store venom in stead of water?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

at least the camels didnt breed explosively. although i do enjoy the image of a bunch of feral camels blocking a guys driveway. bloody droms!

okay but did you have to deploy biological weapons against them like with the rabbits

According to wiki the camels got to nearly 1 mill in population so the Australians had to kill 700,000 of them. This was between 2008 - 2013, so basically a camel holocaust.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

I wonder how many Camel Hunters are out of work in Australia now that the population's been drastically reduced.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Fast food is bad, folks.

No one makes fast food for vegetarians so screw all of you :qq:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

zoux posted:

I will make no comments on the quality of The Walking Dead but tactical realism is the sole arbiter of criticism in the TVIV thread about it, making it by far the dumbest thread on the forums and yes I'm aware Let's Play exists.

I've long since stopped watching TWD with my brother and his friends because all they do is complain about how things aren't ~realistic~ enough. :cripes:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

SedanChair posted:

I still think 12 Years a Slave is a joke movie and was greenlighted for white liberal catharsis

No poo poo.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

R. Mute posted:

snowpiercer villains: *pushes poors into the mud* eat these bugs *wedgies another poor* eat it!

My whole problem with the movie is like wtf are they gonna do at the end? So the snow is melting, so what, it's still really loving cold, arctic levels of cold if a polar bear can just amble around like that. And what about repopulating the world, are there any other loving survivors out there or is the future of mankind really left up to some young Asian woman and the little black kid she's now suddenly charged with? :wtc: answer my questions damnit!

I know I shouldn't think too much about movies and stuff, but this is the kind of poo poo that bothers me about post-apocalyptic themed things.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

It's a good movie, I just think you have poo poo taste, hth

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

R. Mute posted:

i'm only halfway through. they're now stopping at a sushi restaurant because revolutions make you hungry. tilda swinton just made a hamfisted comment about how she just loves balance, but chris evans isn't having any of it. he's making her eat bugs.

maybe it'll get better?

If you're hating it now you'll just hate it even more as it goes on :v:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

R. Mute posted:

chris evans talking about cannibalism while crying. silly as gently caress. "i know that babies taste best"

Yeah I laughed hard at that one.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

R. Mute posted:

if anybody honestly unironically liked this film and not in a so bad it's good kind of way, please explain this to me. please.

e: oh god, cineD, oh god

Snowpiercer (2014) 4.5/5
What could make Snowpiercer feel very rote - its linear, almost video-game like structure of moving through the carriages - is tactfully played as its strength. You're genuinely excited and tense throughout about what is going to be in the next carriage, and the film never lets down by constantly shifting in tone - while still existing enough within the themes and never ignoring them - that the whole film is a visceral thrill ride from beginning to end. The casting is perfect here too, and no character feels generic as everyone has their own unique details, even the smaller details. Also, just for the record, I thought "that line" in Chris Evans monologue at the end was actually really powerful...

i'm laughing irl

i should just bold the whole thing lmao

I mean, I don't think it deserves the high critical fanfare it received, but it's not a so-bad-its-good movie, it's not even a bad movie. It's just an alright scifi action blockbuster that really doesn't need to be anything more than it already is. :shrug:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

code:
Ohio, officer shoots family of kittens in front of children and their mother.  

Holy poo poo I didn't think that was real but holy poo poo man what the gently caress????

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Dr. Faustus posted:

If it's the story I'm thinking of, the officer responded to a call about a litter of stray cats in a lady's backyard.
The officer arrived, went out back, pulled out a knife, and slit all the kittens' throats and the lady's little children in the house could hear the whole thing plain as day.
They were traumatized. The cop was completely non-chalant about the whole thing.

No this is a different one where the cop just whipped out his gun and shot up the litter. :wtc:, they cold blooded knife kittens too????

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Cops are bad and white people need to realize this way faster than the rate they're currently going.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

ReidRansom posted:

Wait what? A cop loving shot a bunch of kittens? Really? I figured that one was just a joke thrown in

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1GIGM_enUS580US580&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=cop%20shoots%20kittens

Googling 'Cop Shoots Kittens' not only lets you know that this is true, but also that the police department defended the cop and says that he did nothing wrong!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

Most D&D posters have some sort of secret button that turns them into complete insufferable zealots and/or pedants when a certain topic is broached. For some people it's guns, other people Israel, other people the CIA, and so on. Excepting fishmech, because he's always like that.

Yeah, this is pretty true.

eVVV

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 12, 2014

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Ha! That is great.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

zoux posted:

Oh gently caress someone started a circumcision thread.

So D&D has finally progressed from navel gazing while at a circlejerk to actively sucking itself off while trying to bite off its own dick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

zoux posted:

There are 911 users browsing D&D right now :911:

Anyone tell me why the MOnsanto thread is brown rated?

Farms tend to have dirt.

• Locked thread