Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Is the monk still terrible. Please tell me the monk isn't terrible.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Really Pants posted:

Don't ask us to lie to you, friend.

Just give it to mestraight man, I can handle it.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

5th Edition warlock. Give me the lowdown. What do?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Im going for a ranged lock, maybe Great Old One pact.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Monks. Are they finally worth something?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I was referring to the abysmal performance of 3.5 and PF.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

How does the sun soul compare to the open fist? Is unarmed combat viable?

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 12, 2016

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Hmm.... Can you do a melee beatstick cleric in this game, or am I better off taking an oath of vengeance paladin?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

Two handed weapon style to pair up with the polearm you are absolutely going to be using because it is bar none the best melee option in the game.

Duelling paladins arent viable?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Are CoDzillas and wizards still just murdering everyone and everything in sight?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

What are everyones thoughts on this thing here?

https://dungeonmusings.wordpress.com/2015/07/17/the-masters-of-sword-and-spell-return-revised-magus-class-for-5th-edition-dungeons-dragons/

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

How do sorcerers measure up against wizards this time around. Is it still All Wizard All The Time?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Warlock or Wizard?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Speaking of wizards, abjuration spec vs divination. Which one?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Skellybones posted:

I could poo poo a better balanced martial vs magic system than 5e

Its called the tome of battle.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Infinite Wishes.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Hows the new ranger? What's the verdict on him?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Mechanically speaking for power, should I go a paladin or war-cleric?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Im going to be running an Eberron campaign, and I’ve gotten the idea of using legacy-type/artifact weapons, that would level with the players.

Seeing as one of my players is going to be playing a Sword n’ board dragonborn paladin, I’ve come up with the following weapon.

Thoughts on the concept of artifact weapons?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

lightrook posted:

Hey that's pretty neat.

Honestly, I like the idea a lot - it makes for a better story than trading in your trusty sword every time you find a newer and shinier stabbing stick. I also like that it makes your weapon intrinsic to your character progression - feels more well-earned than just dumping a sack of coins on the counter and buying new toys.

Anything that makes a good story and cuts down on gamey transactions is pretty good in my book, I think.

Thanks!

I’m making individual weapons for all my players. So far i’ve got The Daggers of the First Murder for our goblin rogue, The Songbow for our lore bard, and a scythe that prevents resurrection or undeath for our hexblade chainpact warlock. Still missing a neat concept for our ranger, other than “bow but better”.

So far only Carsomyr is intelligent.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I suppose you could always do Eldritch Knight.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Nihilarian posted:

is the ranger named Hank

Dunno. Probably not.

Valentin posted:

Should note that one of the hexblade's features is about raising people into undeath (level 6 ability that lets them turn humanoids they kill into specters), so there's a little bit of tension there between the weapon and the class.

Ah. Good point.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Anyone here who has fooled around with Dungeonographer, who knows how to make the gridlines more pronounced?

Edit: Figured it out; apparently the grid color is a grey, instead of a black. The fix is to go into the configure lines/text, click the miscellaneous border color, and pick black.

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 26, 2018

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Anyone know of any good ambience music for a city like Sharn?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

An artifact weaponset (daggers) for my party's rogue that allows him to "shadowstep" behind enemies and deliver an immediate sneak attack with both daggers as a full round action? Yes/no?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

nelson posted:

Sounds like it would be ridiculously useful outside of combat.

Yeah. It would only be able to be used in combat. As for making it only usable in dim light, the paladin in our party walks around with a flaming sword, so I dunno how useful it will be. There would also probably be some kind of range limit, like 10 or 15ft.

But y’all probably right. I’m just sortof stumped as how to make it unique and flavorful for an assassin without save-or-die, or some sort of murderteleport. I could make it “crit on sneak attacks on 19-20” but meh.

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Oct 30, 2018

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

Simple, easy, and potentially cool dagger thing to give rogues is to let them kill light from a distance. To get around rules bullshit, say it can "cut" out any non-celestial light source - so it can absolutely remove magic lights, but not like, the sun.

As for the teleport, I say you make the catch permanent. You can only teleport by actually stabbing into another person at your destination. Gotta be a person too, so no keeping a bag of tricks with you for unlimited animal cruelty powered shankaports. Why's it work that way? Because wizards have no sense of right or wrong. The rogue will probably be tempted plenty often to stab an innocent person to teleport somewhere, giving you the whole corrupting the rogue into evil bit, but instead of it being you talking in a creepy voice or passing menacing notes, the rogue very gleefully corrupts themselves over the chance to be slightly more powerful, which, let's face it, is how this poo poo should've always worked.

Combine the two and you got a pretty good assassin's tool; the first enchantment ensures a hidden approach, the second gets you past any security twice over. For extra fun, ditch the evil wizard making it, state none of this poo poo pings as magic, the gently caress? You know, this is good enough at killing people, maybe this isn't something a wizard made, maybe this crazy-rear end fantasy world includes just a shard of Murder, as a proper noun, hanging out in dagger form.

These are all good ideas. The Daggers are called Daggers of The First Murder.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

If you are playing a paladin and you arent wearing full plate, regardless of environment or activity, then you are doing it wrong.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Are two 1cr monsters a “fair” fight for a lvl 2 party? Or is that not how CRs work?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Suits of animated armor seem really tough for their CR

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

This sounds like a Good and Fun DM. Too bad you’re just a filthy casual who doesn’t see the GENIUS of his DM’ing style.

:smug:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

For my rangers epic weapon: A bow that allows him to unerringly track whatever it hit for the next 24 hours. Thoughts?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

^^^^^^^^^
Well, it's not going to be the ONLY thing, obviously.

It's more of a thing if the bad guy runs away. Although, if he teleports away, it's of limited usefullness, other than being able to draw a straight line extending X miles, and knowing he is somewhere on that line.

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 1, 2018

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Apply hunters mark on attack?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

mormonpartyboat posted:

if other players complain, could make it where hunter's mark can be cast as a free action so the ranger still burns a spell slot

The rogue gets an assassination teleport, the paladin gets a flaming sentient murdersword, etc. They better not complain :colbert:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Isn't the updated version pretty much universally considered to be superior to the core book one?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Christ.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

AlphaDog posted:

5th ed disproportionately screws martials.

A time-honored DnD tradition.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Going back to CR discussion. Are there aby guidelines as to what CR bad guys with class levels have? What CR will a lvl 3 rogue have, for instance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I'm thinking of trying to retool red hand of doom to be about an undead invasion, instead of a hobgoblin invasion. Anyone have any thoughts on whether that would work well, or would be a lovely patch-job