Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

We get Bob's all the time, and there's never been a problem with 5E. Just whip them up a character, and let them follow the lead of the party. A fun intro is a plus.

Some people lose interest, some pass out, and others just showed up to drink your beer and smoke your pot. Just gotta be flexible, and keep that DM train moving. 5E has been awesome so far. I'm really happy with how things have been going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Laphroaig posted:

There is no build advice to give. There are no builds. Rogue, normal non-magic guy, is basically kind of crap compared to the other options that do the same things.

You loving spergs. He doesn't care about what you think is better than a rogue.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

These are really cool and I want to show them off here.

What is this? Looks interesting.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Anybody get the Adventures in Middle Earth book that is supposed to be compatible with 5th edition? Looks like it could be fun.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

That Middle Earth book is really cool. The different types of humans, virtues, and backgrounds let you make some very fleshed out characters.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Use spell slots for healing if that's what your character would do. If I'm playing a paladin, then I'm healing anyone that's hurt, even NPC's. I also save my smites for dramatic moments, or a good one liner.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

az posted:

Merry christmas ya'll, I'm going to start my second ever 5e game in january and I'm torn between picking a bard or a sorc because they both look really fun. It's a party of five, two players unclassed so far, one warlock one monk, level three start. Any suggestions would be super welcome.

Since you’re asking on Christmas you need to play a bard. Be cheerful all the time.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Arthil posted:

As per usual if your DM isn't a butt about it, it'll work. A paladin in a group I was in several weeks back had her weapon get stuck in an ooze we were fighting. So she Smite-Fisted the thing to death with her plate gauntlet.

I smite punched my way out of a monster.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Gridlocked posted:

^^^forgotten realms

So a neutral evil SorcLock who makes a deal with a devil to get a power boost to attempt to survive his own ancestor systematically hunting down his mortal descendents with his step goal beimg survive and end goal being be poweful enough to kill grandpa and claim his mantel for himself also inevitably betraying the devil who gave him hos booster shot in the first place

Perhaps the devil has a reason for getting rid of the dragon.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

the point of the "see the animal" rule is to hear the cool story of how they saw every animal

Let me tell you about the time I went to Jurassic Park...

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

How am I just now finding out about the Plane Shift MtG supplements? So freaking cool. I wish they'd do these in print.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I’ve had an idea for a halfling paladin, that has crippled legs, and rides an armored dog for transportation. I’m not well versed in mounted combat in 5E. When I’m not moving in combat, should I be ok with the ol’ sword and board? Is there any major hurdles I should worry about?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Made a level 5 Circle of Moon Druid/ Hexblade Warlock. So, drat versatile. Totally unpredictable, unless you predict that I love using beast shape and biting people as a giant spider/tiger/dire wolf.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Razorwired posted:

One thing that's actually interesting about Greyhawk is, as was mentioned, a lot of the more famous characters and early immortalized PCs come from there. For instance named spells like Melf's Acid Arrow and Bigby's X Hand were invented by Greyhawk Wizards. Mordenkainen was Gygax's main. Bigby was his charmed evil henchman who preceded Rigby, Digby, Zigby and a few others. Melf was a Male Elf and when he died he was replaced by Nelf who was replaced by Oelf.

Apparently I'm playing D&D as the creator intended with my current character's apprentices: Huey, Dewie, and Louie.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Now I'm imagining some urban Rocs, hanging on a Colossus of Rhodes type statue.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

What do you guys think of a Rogue-Swashbuckler 3/Fighter 2 working towards Battlemaster next level? Was thinking human probably, but a halfling would be extra sneaky and maneuverable.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Just give him the pugbee. Have it get him in trouble occasionally. Bugbear wants to eat it, wild bees think it’s their queen, etc;

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Cephas posted:

Thanks for the advice all! I talked to him and he said he'd rather have my version than a pact of the chain familiar so I'm just going to roll with it. I think he's going to be using the revised ranger and be a horizon walker. Having to keep the pugbee out of trouble sounds like a lot of fun, I'm definitely going to remember that.

I hope he has a lot of fun with pugbee! I'm currently playing a level ten Horizon Walker Ranger and loving it. Recently my character was given an "Amulet of Good Boy" that lets me befriend any canine type creature. I'm looking forward to the trouble I can get into with a friendly hellhound or blink dog.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

And don't be afraid to make the corpses littering the room suddenly get up, and change the dynamic of the encounter.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Anyone use the Zelda Encyclopedia as a resource? Seems like it wouldn't be hard to make stats for a lot of the monsters and equipment. There's also some good maps, and lists of dungeons/towns.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I've been thinking about a Rogue - Swashbuckler/Fighter - Samurai that I want to play as a ninja. A Dragonborn would be a great race for him. My neighbor was the only grandma I really had, and she worked with the blind, so I'll do whatever I can to help this guy play D&D. I'll post again tomorrow with whatever advice I can think of.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Horizon Walker Ranger is a lot of fun. I'm in a martial heavy campaign (fighter/barbarian/paladin/ranger group), and I'm having a great time manipulating the battlefield with all the teleport type spells and abilities, and being just as good at range as I am in melee.

Apparently Circle of Spores Druid is going to be in the Ravnica book. That might be interesting.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Tell me more, because it sounds like something I want to play but Horizon Walker to me looks like I just stand outside and shoot arrows slightly better

I use the dueling fighting style, and sword and board for melee combat. Zephyr strike is a decent first level spell to help you avoid opportunity attacks when you're trying to get an advantageous position. At level 5 you'll have misty step, and level 7 you'll have the ethereal step ability. Pass without trace can help you sneak into position if you need it. And once you get third level spells, haste and conjure animals are both useful.

A lot of those spells you could just use to give yourself the best angle to pew pew, but melee is just as viable.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Made a sword college Bard criminal. Two weapon fighting with daggers, double proficiency on stealth, and defensive duelist because I'm variant human. Considering my spells ninja magic, and I'm having an amazing time. Only level three, but I already have my magical secrets picked out for level ten.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I'm not expecting to learn a mind flayer's mind blast, but if a human wizard shows up with a spell I don't have and I'm a human wizard I'd expect to be able to learn it.

Sure, but it takes a year of practicing every day, or you have to go to a special school only other wizards can teleport you to. A good DM will have like fifteen ways to tell you that you technically can learn the spell...just not right now.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Skyl3lazer posted:

Release date question: The supplemental Ravnica books are scheduled to come out on the 20th, but I got an email today about them being available in Beyond -> https://www.dndbeyond.com/marketplace/source/38

Are they actually just online earlier than in paper? How does "Beyond" work, could I print character sheets and stuff? Or is this just a preorder online?

e; Apparently LGS got it in today in paper, so maybe amazon/online just wait longer?

Gaming stores get early release. I’m picking mine up whenever I stop being lazy today.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Depending on your group, you go too dark, and the players will look for ways to undermine and make a joke out of it.

Anyone else get the Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica? I’m really liking it so far, and plan on attending an event at my LGS tomorrow.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Played the Ravnica sample adventure at my LGS, and it was pretty fun. There was premade characters, and I got to be a Loxodon Paladin.

It was my first time playing with random people, but it wasn’t bad at all. Me and the Minotaur Fighter had fun as lumbering beast people.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Make there be multiple doppelgangers in the town, and have her They Live her way through.

Or have people defend the guy, not knowing he’s a doppelganger, and just thinking she’s some maniac.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

AnEdgelord posted:

So has anyone picked up a copy of the Ravnica setting guide? Im curious to see whats in it and if its actually worthwhile.

It’s really good if you want to commit to the setting. Looking up associated Magic cards will give you a lot of inspiration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I know in large part the lack of books everywhere is good for the game but it bums me out that there's this big sale on D&D poo poo and I can't take advantage of it as I already have every book I want and have no interest in DMing a module.

I know "boo hoo there's nothing for me to buy" is peak first world problems but still. If we had a million splatbooks or the sale extended to DMsGuild I might have something to pick up.

Buy some books for friends. Tis the season.