Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

moths posted:

poo poo I did not want to import drama, I was just curious.

I am late as gently caress to this party, but that's fine, man! Future posts about this should probably go to the chat thread though, that is what it's there for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Stormgale posted:

Do this instead

Okay

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
:frogsiren::megaman::frogsiren: HEY NEXT THREAD :frogsiren::megaman::frogsiren:

So I don't know if you noticed, but this thread has gotten pretty lovely sometimes! I'm going to see if we can do something about that. Specifically, I am going to start checking on this thread more often and cracking down on excessive shitposting.

You should be able to work out when your posts stop being cool/useful on your own, but here are some hints: Posting about posting, telling people they are big dumb idiot fuckers without explaining why they are big dumb idiot fuckers, explaining why people are big dumb idiot fuckers for multiple pages instead of using the report button, and being seebs are all potentially bad ideas!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ok in order to end this once and for all everybody shut up for a bit.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Alright, that's long enough. Thread back open!

It would be great if you guys could poo poo up the thread less now. That includes posting about posting and ":words: Now that I've said my piece, let's just drop this!" posts.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Night10194 posted:

More characters should use macuahuitls. The look on a DM's face when you explain your kickass warclub is in no way metallic and is lined with razor sharp, rust-monster-murdering volcanic glass would be wonderful.

Also, the word's really fun to say.

Now I kind of want to write a fantasy civilization that uses obsidian not because of a lack of metallurgy but because of all these loving rust monsters in their territory. :allears:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Ratoslov posted:

Anyplace that had hordes of rust monsters wandering around would need to have absolutely ridiculous metal deposits, or otherwise it wouldn't have hordes of rust monsters for very long at all.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Even better, the entry says they can tame rust monsters. I want to see a dude ride a rust monster straight through a wall of steel.

Maybe they've carefully secured some of the biggest metal deposits so they can use it to tame rust monsters with. :aaaaa:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
If you run or play in a Next play-by-post, go here.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Best post of the thread. Ettin, lock it up, we're done.

I probably should have because nearly every post after it is white noise garbage. Look at this poo poo:

ascendance posted:

Right. So you hate 5e and think it sucks. You're not going to buy it. Why are you wasting your time venting your vitriol about it to those of us around here who think its at least vaguely playable? Go demand better from Mike Mearls, not humble end users like us.

NachtSieger posted:

"Why play 5e?"
"NO SYSTEM IS PERFECT IT'S ALL SUBJECTIVE STOP BEING MEAN TO 5E :byodood:"

Slimnoid posted:

So why the gently caress do you keep posting in this thread?

Kai Tave posted:

Being a fan of a lovely sports team is vastly more economical both in a money and a time sense given that most sports games don't take up six hours of your Saturday or require you to buy a series of $50 textbooks in order to drink beer and yell at your television. What I'm saying is that the Maple Leafs are actually more entertaining than Next is and they should be proud of that.

Arcturas posted:

So go post in the threads for those better, cheaper RPGs rather than in the 5e thread?

ProfessorCirno posted:

Like, people don't hate that you like the game. I like plenty of bad or flawed games. 4e has a lot of flaws. Shadowrun is mechanically bad.

The catch is that the Shadowrun thread has Shadowrun fans acknowledging the bad, blaming the developers and producers for it, and then talking about either fixes to the system or alternate systems you can use. At no point are the bad mechanics just washed over with "They aren't REALLY bad, you can fix it."

You aren't doing that. You're getting upset at stage one: admitting the game has flaws.

Transient People posted:

Bottom line: A bad product gets bad press. If you don't like it, tough, deal. We, as customers and testers, get to poo poo on it as much you get to defend it, and probably even more justifiably. Should I go ahead and tell you about how I knew Next was going to be bad from the moment they tried to spin axing the Warlord as a positive thing? That's when I decided the team wasn't getting my money, even though I went ahead and played the game just to be sure.

Arivia posted:

gently caress you ascendance for saying something bad about the Toronto Maple Leafs. You have lovely taste in hockey, too.

Tendales posted:

If you can find something interesting to say positively about 5e, just post. That's the point a lot of people are making; there's just not that much interesting to discuss about the game if you're going to forbid all negativity.

How are some of you posting so much about how a roleplaying game is bad? Who actually posts "Well some people care about this and some don't, it's all taste" instead of something anyone cares about? When has telling someone else to get out of a thread ever actually worked? Why would you quadruple post? Who tolerates hockey? Did you guys all press Submit Reply willingly?

I would punt you guys from the forum for a day but I don't hit children. Stop making bad posts and chill out already.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
So I made an advice thread for people who want Next advice and don't want to sift through the Next megathread for it.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Sorry folks, I meant to re-open this sooner but my last few days have been packed. Hopefully you have used this time to cool off.

I am glad that this thread has gone this long without Posting About Posting, but just as a reminder: This is a thread for general 5E discussion, so whatever you want to post it is probably welcome here. That said, some goons have and will come to this thread because they are new to the game or the hobby and would like to post questions. They do not care about your edition arguments and they definitely do not care about your sick dunks on other people's posting.

If your posting is loving up the thread for those folks, you should make better posts. Don't post just to slag people off, or tell them to gently caress off out of the thread, or whatever. If someone comes to the thread for help you don't need to tell them 5E sucks (though if a rec for another game could solve their issue then go ahead). If you absolutely have to tell people they're wrong, add something to it besides implying they must be damaged or something. You should be able to work out what good posting is on your own really.

Anyway, the 5E thread is back! I'd appreciate it if you just dropped that discussion now. The chat thread proposed a new version of this old 5E advice thread, so if someone wants to do a better OP feel free to :justpost:. Either way, please post good here. God bless.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
It's a little lost in the big OP, but this thread does have a "no debating the merits of other editions" rule and last week was a pretty good reminder of why we have it. The thread does not need to be told "there are better games!" every few days. Give it a rest.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Can we not get this place locked a third time in as many months

I'm a little late, but Nehru is correct. Further talk about this should go in the Industry thread.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I kind of like that idea actually. Rolling every round seems a bit much but I want to give this a try now.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Hey! I see we had another derail so I wanted to post something.

A while ago, Covok put this rule about Z chat in the OP:

Covok posted:

And I'm following this up with a new thread rule: No More Arguing Or Discussing These Events In This Thread. Take It To The Industry Thread Instead, Where Such Arguments Are Expected.

I haven't really been enforcing it because I felt like it was something I should trust the thread to do on its own, so I've just been probating the most hostile posts and leaving it at that. But we're still having the same derail with the same posters over and over lately, and bunch of posts even acknowledge that it's a derail so I know you know better.

So, I queued up a bunch of probations. In the future please just take the topic to the industry thread, minus the really hostile parts. If it happens again anyway I'm just gonna start probating for it on principle.

Besides that, here are some other things I wanted to mention. I'm not naming names because this is useful to know for everyone and also who cares:
  • You don't need to post just to explain/justify another post you made. Post about Next, don't post about posting.
  • If your post is basically just "shut the gently caress up" or a crack about another poster's mental health, don't post that either.
  • As far as posts about victims of harassment go, "Well personally I would just shrug it off so this didn't happen" is not helpful in any situation.
  • Yes, it is true that the dude namesearches people talking about him and tells people to make posts on his behalf. It is also true that posts accusing other people of doing this are often wrong but definitely the worst!!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

SmellOfPetroleum posted:

Strongholds and Followers has some fun content, and the layout/formatting is amazing. The rules are kind of fast and loose. The assumption is that some characters are going to want to invest and others won't, and only the stronghold owners get the relatively powerful class benefits and equivalent of lair actions and region effects. They are in a sense very large magic items attuned to one character.

I love Strongholds & Followers' layout - it looks more like old-school fantasy than most actual old-school fantasy games, and the stat blocks are really well done. The tone was kind of jarring in places (some parts have an incredibly flippant tone that is completely at odds with the flowery, formal dressings) but I think more games could stand to let their hair down anyway.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Kaysette posted:

We should just make a new thread, the OP here could use some TLC.

I'd be fine with that if someone can whip up a decent effort OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

This'll do :toot: