Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I think of it as number of PC attacks vs monster attacks in a round. Total PC attacks plus two in a round can end up being pretty challenging so long as you got the monster stats and spells dialed in properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I never could figure out the push for why my Goliath Barbarian left his tribe so that stayed open ended for the GM to decide as a plot hook. But when he left he vowed to become the world's most accomplished grappler to redeem his clan's name/honor. However, he was very low int and never met humans who were the dominant culture of the area because the tribe lived in the deep mountains. 

The first human he made contact with was a slaver who convinced him that he was a famous grappler coach and could train him and make him a star. My guy believed him and went to do hard labor in the mines thinking it was a Karate Kid style training montage. The rest of the party were hired by the mine owner to investigate the severity of a kobold infestation in a new shaft being dropped that killed some miners. 

Until they met up with my guy who was given to them for use as bait (re: here's your chance to get some real practice in big guy!) I just rolled dice for the enemies in combat to help the GM out. 

I joined the party because my friend played a cross between Don King and Malcom X half elf who had cropped his ears in an attempt to pass as human in his teens and liberated me and became my hype man for my pit fights. Every fight was played out like a WWE PPV event with the amount of theatrics I put into it. It was glorious.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Suddenly guards in town say they match a description and always try to apprehend them so they are basically forced to never go to a city again. Then bounty hunters start showing up in the wild to do the same thing.

Also, presumably, you are all adults. Talk out expectations and that if they are not willing to play in the dynamic then that table may not be right for them.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
This is directed to the thread at large. I grew up playing Rifts which is lol levels of fuckery for a system and except for an excessively home brewed ADnD campaign that I didn't know was based on DnD until after the fact, I didn't have much involvement with the system until 5e.

I'm completely agnostic on which version is best or better and have had fun with 5e, but there seems to be a consistent under current in thread about 5e being a poo poo show or just objectively inferior to older versions.

Is there any kind of summary that could be given to explain how you guys got here or just an article that you could link to that says it for you? Genuinely just curious to what informed the thread's opinion. From lurking for awhile now it seems part of it is directly tied to the personalities that dev'd the edition but I feel like there is more to it than that.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I just want to thank everyone who gave their critiques of the version. I have had fun with 5e and nothing anyone said will suddenly change the fun to not fun, but it can give me direction when I am ready to try a different dnr version.

Honestly, all of them seem simple in a good way compared to getting into the weeds of a Palladium game. I didn't even think about how I could trigger edition warring, and found everything said interesting to read. Gradenko, is there an easy way to check out the math retooling you did that people are referencing? I enjoy world and system building for their own sake and that sounds really interesting to me.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Why do you disagree with the idea that everyone deserves an equal chance of leveling?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Sure, but in context he has created a system where non wisdom characters get hosed by the process, which he acknowledges, a non wisdom PC pointed it out and said all characters should get equal chance at engaging the system fairly and he said he disagreed with that statement/sentiment. I'd like to hear from him why.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Hey man, if everyone at the table genuinely is enjoying themselves and disagreements are resolved like adults and everyone agreed to the rules before playing then gently caress it. Go wild. It's just baffling to me that you'd impose these restrictions onto 5e instead of just playing the game that better matched what you wanted.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I didn't want to belabor that point, but as many other people have brought it up, that is a sticking point for me in my head while trying to understand all of this. I just didn't want to seem like there was a thread dog pile going on.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Dmsguild would be where you would want to go, though I don't know about templates. Were I you, I'd just find a submission that I liked and copy the formatting wholesale. Maybe shoot the creator a message making sure that they are cool with it.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
What about a weapon that, on a killing blow with said weapon, stores an auto crit that can be expended in lieu of an attack. Stores up to x charges. Give him an use penalty if it feels too strong. So the more he kills, the more he kills, or he can save them for the big bad. Maybe limit number of charges used per long rest or just cap charges low enough to not matter.

Ties in well with the archtype and class fantasy.

Edit: to clarify, they'd still need to make a successful attack roll, and you can make it so they have to burn the charge before the attack roll so if they miss they still lose the charge to balance it out.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 29, 2017

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Critical Role just finshed their campaign which went 1-20, ~9-20 was on their stream. Some nerd compiled all their dice roll stats that you'd want which showcases skill utilizations and dice advantage vs disadvantage efficacy and what not. I figure you guys would enjoy the raw data whether you liked the show or not.

All the normal cautions about the data reflecting only a single campaign that had a homebrew class in the PC party and a few house rules being able to tell you only so much. Also their game started in Pathfinder and was imported as is into 5e when they brought it on stream so that'll effect things too.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
No idea. But as a follow up for people who aren't familiar with which PC is what class, a reference is:

Grog: Goliath Barb
Keyleith: Half-Elf Druid
Percy: Human Gunsmith (Mercer's homebrew class)
Pike: Gnome Cleric
Scanlan: Gnome Bard
Tiberius: Dragonborn Sorcerer
Trinket: Bear pet of Ranger
Vax: Half-Elf Rogue/Paladin/Druid
Vex: Half-Elf Ranger/Rogue

Tiberius left show within first six months so doesn't have a lot of data, and Vax took one level of Druid at the last episode for narrative fluff only.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Have the line be unusually short today because ever since Karen went and got herself a case of the Plague on her vacation to them forwign parts they've never bothered to backfill her position due to, "budget concerns" and poo poo.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Just a point of clarification, Sam went gnome bard because that was the answer to least played class and least played race, rather than most useless of each.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

AlphaDog posted:

We're doing something like this:

Feudalism, more or less.

I'd take it one step further. Tax officials operate under an official token from the crown that they purchase, ala the British system. Sheriffs operate the same way, but they get their muscle from noblemen's personal guards.

In cities, various nobles fight over the prestige position of bribing the sheriff to let their guards be used because the guarss can wear the noble's tabbard to promote their house over others and also be in place to collect and share bribes with the sheriff, etc...

In smaller towns, there'd be the one sheriff and noble who'd be covering for a larger geographic region that inclused multiple towns and probably, at most a single "guard" that is really a local farmer or smith or something who geta to cosplay soldier every now and then.

Regardless, have that system all tie into your, "Justice will be swift, harsh, and arbitrary," system, because the Sherriff has total atonomy under fiat of the Crown to keep peace and order. But this way you can easily get a ton of plot hooks on demand by doing even a shallow dive into the political backstabbing and maneuvering that'd be going on.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Multiclassing early isn't a bad idea in and of itself, but if you are still new enough that you are losing track of what you have in front of you already, then it may be worth it to yourself to hold off for awhile.

Depending on the game, current level, how fast y'all are leveling, that might still have you multiclass early. But just focus on digesting what you have first.

Or don't. It won't be the end of the world, if you do. If you don't already know, multiclassing splits your 20 character levels across two or more class levels, which means that you end up missing out on high level class features when you split your character like that. Because of this, you'll want to make sure that the power you get now is worth losing the power you could of had later.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I am lifting the triple advantage wood elf rogue concept from this thread for my next character, Dova'Kiin, the Wood Elf stealth archer that is going to refer to the rest of the party as Lydia.

The concept as is takes me through half of a Skyrim character, but how do you guys think I could recreate shouts? I imagine the easiest way would be going Arcane rogue and just reskinning the spells into things that I shout really loudly to cast, but I was thinking you guys might see a clever angle that I don't.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Splicer posted:

Go two levels of rogue for cunning action, then straight bard.

Which bard you think? The only hold up for this though is that the group looks like it will already have two bards out of three to maybe four PCs. I don't know what we'd do with a full party of essentially bards.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Its a new-to-DnD GM. I couldn't do that to him.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Do the Discworld witches, who are all Warlocks in universe, and who owe their patronage to a Baba Yaga like figure, or figures (a big bad or bads if you want to develop it that way).

Since it is Fey, make the witches more nuetral than good and you can have them do something like always collect the bodies of the dead, including from childbirth, and present them as gifts to their patrons.

I feel like you could get a lot of mileage out of tgat premise/setup.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

hangedman1984 posted:

Are there any sources for monster as pc races that are both good and cheap (preferably free) out there?

The dmsguild and enworld and maybe sometimes reddit would be a good bet. You'd be fine to just Google it and the top results will be the likely sites if they have anything. Faster than checking them all manually.

Edit: spelling

Dameius fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 9, 2018

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Critical Role did a one shot of Honey Heist when they needed a filler episode if you want to see it in action.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Both maps look fine, but the alternative one is legitimately the better of the two at depicting a fully realized mine that was actually used as a mine.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
With the idea that it was an imported legacy system that your company paid lots of money for so by god drat we are going to use it and you need to just make this poo poo work...

DnD 6e, you are given free hand to do the needful so long as it'll print money (in ttrpg terns) and keep the brand in good reputation, which means it has that DnD feel to it, which seems to be both unqualifiable and yet a moving goalpost.

What would you guys want to axe immediately and/or who would you want to see designing it, if you just have a favorite dev/dev team?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Just make them real paladins who follow an evil deity that also the big bad follows and was gifted the paladins by the deity to ${generic.fantasy.motivation}.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Anyone have a link to that DnD character generator? It does things like "Dragonborn Paladin who's bar burned down and is now adventuring to pay off debt."

http://whothefuckismydndcharacter.com/

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Splicer posted:

First work out how he feels about son. If he tells him he needs his help will he take that seriously (until he hears their piffling trifle of a problem), assume it's something trivial but humour him, or assume it's something trivial and not even bother listening until he's good and ready?

When they start telling the story start off concerned or indulgent or whatever and slowly morph into someone's dad listening to their son recap a bunch of innocuous teen drama that the son obviously feels strongly about but you can see is trivial bullshit that everyone involved will have forgotten about by their next centennial. Forget which guy is which and keep interrupting for reminders. Treat important NPC groups as flash in the pan manufactured bands you don't recognize, ask what they do and compare them to better, classic kingdoms. Make dad jokes during important parts. When they get to the bit they need help with prompt them to keep going, and when you realise that's it poorly cover up your confusion/amusement with obvious "I know /you/ care about this and I care about you so I care about this"-style dad concern.

And when he takes an action to help, have it both resolve the specific issue, but also make their lives more difficult because he didn't realize they couldn't just apperate between material planes at will or whatever.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

lofi posted:

Dadragon insists on taking the party out for icecream after, at that place they used to love. Keeps referring to long-dead bards.

I love this whole thing.

After a blank stare from the party while referring to said bards, "... Oh, that must have been with the other kid."

In fact, constantly have Dadragon get trivial details slightly wrong like an overwhelmed parent with too many kids.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Last one, if they have someone directly appeal to Dadragon unsuccessfully, have his voice come down from on high, "go ask your mother."

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
There are jokes on TCP over Avian Carriers just waiting to happen.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Both me and my current DM would hate that. Sell it in an elevator pitch, have answers for spot questions, and be ready to provide the documentation when we are ready for it or don't waste our time.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

We could talk about the new book it's cool.

Never let it be said that Goons let new content get in the way of poo poo posting.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Your enemies aren't idiots. If they are in the Big Bad's fort and there to guard said fort and hear a fight going on, they will absolutely check it out. Now if they kill Big Bad then maybe the minions decide that gently caress it, not their fight anymore, but this isn't like a video game where they hit the boss fight load screen and everything before that point just dissapears.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Skull throne, obviously.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
You could also go the Ron Swanson type. You have nothing against the idea of people working together, but you are a very private person and you prefer to be alone when possible.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Nash posted:

What is defined as a door? A castle gate?

Or a multi-ton boulder positioned in front of an entrance?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
It would be easier to just set a limit of like.... Non-magical door that weighs up to x multiplier of wearers weight. Or times y strength.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Hobo By Design posted:

One of my players is an arcane trickster rogue who took warlock spells with magic initiate. They've gotten good use out of it and I figured it'd be neat if their usage caught the attention of an actual warlock patron, especially since "fey spirits terrorizing the neighborhood" was a major plot point for a while. They aren't interested in multiclassing (afaik), but I think throwing them an RP bone could be fun. Not sure where to go with a hook like that, though. Traipsing through the Feywild would be a major diversion from what's going on in the campaign.

e: posted this here instead of the GM advice thread, whoops.

Have the patron's job offer to be to steal a mcguffin from some other Fey that the patron wants to see taken down a peg. Since the Patron just cares about embarrassing the other Fey, lets the rogue keep it because the Patron couldn't care less about the actual item.

Or, the Patron knows that the holder of the item will get a lot of heat so set up the rogue to deal with it while also getting to embarass the other Fey in the process.

Basically a softer version of Bad Seafood's idea that doesn't hook so hard into the Warlock clasd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

inthesto posted:

Where does Huey Long fit into this alignment system

gently caress you, I am the law. With a window dressing of bribes.