Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Steve Ballmer posted:

just fyi this will never happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
I just watched this documentary about the Large Hadron Collider and the discovery of the Higgs boson

amongst the many revelations in that film is that virtually every one of those folks uses a Mac from the most pie-in-the-sky theorists to the magnet janitors to the administrators and everything in between, and plenty of iPads and iPhones besides

in other words, people with advanced degrees in hard sciences from the best schools at the top of their respective fields, whose careers depend on computation and can choose any platform they want to, overwhelmingly choose Macs to work on

but

can we hear more from some more bottom rung computer janitors about how Macs just can't be used for real work

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Scott Forstall posted:

in an alternate universe, Nokia said "gently caress it, we're going Android" with the Lumia as the hardware and are currently one of the top Android OEMs.

in that universe, enough people are willing to pay more for premium anroid to keep a company the size of nokia in the black

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Cardboard Box A posted:

Americans don't want ... Windows

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
I guess it's only natural that the microsoft thread would draw out all the shameful motherfuckers who have keyboards in their living room

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
surface 3 is such poo poo, manages to be worse than surface 2 in practically every way

screen is garbage, they got rid of glass to make it lighter or something with the result that when you press on it with the pressure sensitive pen, the colours get all distorted

fan runs all the loving time compared to the surface 2

3d definitely feels worse, maybe some power saving thing? maybe it expects me to manually janitor video settings every time I want to do something in 3d?

they changed pen suppliers from wacom (knows what they're doing) to random china company no one's heard of (doesn't), feels exactly like going from a mac trackpad to a windows trackpad - in theory everything works the same but feels like poo poo

amazing

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

graph posted:

someone at work who purchased a surface3 two weeks ago already lost the stylus

they are 50 bux lol

oh yeah they also got rid of the magnet thing that held the stylus in place on the surface 2, with predictable results

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

from the Windows RT thread in dyp

a loving litany of bad decisions

the "anything but Apple" philosophy of personal electronics purchasing always brings the funny

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
more surface revelations

i7 model surface 3 throttles down the cpu to 800mhz if you use it unplugged and any amount of heat hits the chassis

so to do any 3D work or play a game, you either need to plug it in or aim a fan at the back of the unit

IYG type people have already compiled a list of recommended USB fans for this purpose

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Phoenixan posted:

apple fucks up and releases a phablet

microsoft fucks up and spends 2.5 billion on a blocks game

sounds like the 6+ is basically sold out worthwhile though

MS wishes they could gently caress up that well

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
yeah physical copy protection that wrecked/de-aligned drives even when working as intended was fun to deal with on the c64

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
I prefer smaller screens on my laptop these days because macs actually have a usable virtual desktop and app fullscreen mechanism

high dpi is a must ofc

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Thanks Ants posted:

lmao. what's left now if someone doesn't want a mac?

iOS and iPhone have had some missteps but mac is still great and OSX yosemite is the best OS X yet even in its current clunky beta state

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
I used to buy precision laptops up until ~12 years ago when they weren't utter poo poo

can't imagine how bad they are now

rip PC industry, you were good for many laffs

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

we're pushing for hyper-v VDI that does server-side 3d rendering on a handful of high-end quadro cards and then ships the rendered frames out to the client with remotefx so laptops become thin clients and we can get rid of the hunks of poo poo for good

this sounds amazing and why doesn't solidworks/autodesk/et al offer that kind of service today, either their own cloud or DIY cloud servers

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol my father is at a conference this very day arguing against a whole thinktank of ideas guys like you to remind them that cad/cam is too resource intensive for poo poo like that

"people PEOPLE *takes long drag on cigarette* must I remind you again that CAD/CAM is far too resource intensive to be run on powerful scalable servers in the cloud, and can only succeed when run on $1k laptops!"

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

eschaton posted:

but degree mills like Harvard Business could never sell that product to the professional middle-management class who are their primary customers

always entertaining to hear goons disparage masters business programs

given the average goon can't budget past what toy he's going to spend his next pay/disability check on, you guys would have as much chance at understanding grad level financial accounting as ancient Sanskrit

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
I'm the touched nerves

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Fabricated posted:

sneering at other peoples jobs when everyone here is a cj of some sort is a yospos tradition

sneering at CJs who think they're smarter than the people they work for is my own personal tradition

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

qirex posted:

it's also the easiest professional academic achievement, even at the "good" biz schools it's just 2 years of powerpoint, high-school level math and tons of drinking

"business is easy, now clicking checkboxes in windows server products? that there is an art form

also please let me work for you mister business man"

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Lysidas posted:

there actually can be some relatively :coal: math involved in figuring out the best way to run a business or divide up resources

do mba programs teach linear programming?

some do, sure, depending what you're interested in

my wife specialized in financial instruments and took classes that covered stochastic calculus, monte carlo simulation, computer modelling

not at the level of a masters math student ofc but if you think that stuff's easy well heh

this thread has turned into a great honeypot for guys who are somehow always the smartest person in the room and yet 8+ HR levels removed from the C suite

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
holy poo poo just use macs with an airport time capsule

what is wrong with you computer janitors? not enough electrons to sweep at work?

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

url posted:

I'm down for a Surface pro 4, the gf for a surfacebook at full spec, and I'll be doing the XL winpho, but i kinda wanna wait for some more colours before getting the gf one (since her 1520 is perfectly adequate and performs like a champ)

forcing your girlfriend to use winpho is domestic abuse

fortunately she's probably imaginary

also:

url posted:

It will be equally interesting to see that prick get spanners thrown at his face again public opinion response to hipster snobbishness despite their own fans calling their machines boat anchors.

it will be interesting to see how "that stock photo girl does"

it will be interesting to see "where is the loving magic in this underpowered overpriced device"

it will be interesting to see "oh poo poo the stylus isn't a failure, ours is just shitteiter than everybody elses"

it's already interesting to see "poo poo, we shouldn't call the factories mordor - that might make us look like utterly disgusting cunts of the highest and unforgivable order"

it's already interesting to see that "this form factor is perfect" has already been so horribly horribly wrong that they are on their 4th SKU literally following everybody else in the market

it's interesting that It's laughably obvious that the car thing is basically "lets copy google"

it's interesting that It's laughably obvious that the watch is more fail than the cube

its fantastically interesting to know that the the M&A/anti trust thing is coming soon

wow

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
so wtf is the difference between the surface and the surface book anyway other than the surface book has most of its battery in the keyboard

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

program666 posted:

this is probably the simplest way to answer your question https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWu3Y-vXvKQ

so it's an SP4 with a lot more wobble

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
I uninstalled the KB that preloads W10 on your system, MS then helpfully reinstalled it and preloaded W10 anyway

even for a dedicated game box microsoft is pisstrash for idiots

theultimo posted:

If you un gently caress the start menu, its a faster version of 7

unironically this

8.1 currently best windows to the surprise of absolutely everyone

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
I press windows key, start typing app/doc name, press enter and it launches

that's the extent of what I need in a start menu here in 2015

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
lol no

thats windows RT which basically restricts app developers to WPF or whatever shaggar-tier tech for enterprise ironmongers they calling it these days

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Dodoman posted:

/

what

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

idk who you are but you just made me remember my 2004 world of warcraft mage who blew poo poo up named Kaboomhauer

how bout them apples

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
iPad Pro outsold Surface Pro by 30% in its debut quarter

RIP overpriced craptop

http://www.geekwire.com/2016/new-data-apples-new-ipad-pro-outsold-microsoft-surface-tablets-in-holiday-quarter/

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
a fat slab of cheap plastic - cool !

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
just upgraded to windows 10

its' great how for every one of the past few windows releases there's a mandatory third party system tool to unfuck all the microsoft fuckery

this time around it's https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

am i to understand that there are people in this very thread over the age of 25 that are still building pcs instead of just going out and buying what they need like a loving adult making 6 figgies?

I did this only because I dont have a closet in my new office and I wanted a dead silent machine

ended up with a PC that has no case fans, no cpu fan, and PSU/GPU fans that only turn when really under load so it literally has no parts moving unless I'm rendering video or doing some insane 3D or whatever

as a bonus it looks hilarious

edit: to be fair it doesn't look too bad buttoned up but I never see it anyway

but for extra hilarity did I mention it's a hackintosh

skeevy achievements fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 5, 2016

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

FCKGW posted:

and you're proud of this trash heap?

jfc by a 5k iMac already, the worlds best computer

ya I built this before the 5k iMac but that machine has issues with heat tbh and I say this as a guy with a fanless cpu and case

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

how difficult is this in tyool 2016

real easy if you're building from scratch, only real downside is you have to use mac compatible chipset which is a generation behind (x97? can't remember) but doing so saves you a lot of money soooooooo maybe it cancels out

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
is NTFS any better? idk I have time machine backing poo poo up as soon as it's created basically

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Citizen Tayne posted:

This is "We'll store everything in a flat file dataset" but for people born in 1994 instead of 1944

Id love to see the code these kids write

no code structure, just hashtables full of literals being passed around

variable names like a, b and c

gotos

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
holy poo poo is that really cortana

never played a halo, might now tho :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeevy achievements