Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Squinty Applebottom posted:

gartner has the magic quadrant

you pay them like 50k and buy lots of lunches and they put your software in it and idiots blindly purchase your garbage

It really is a 'magic' in the sense that it completely defies reality in how it is determined and why MBAs flock to purchase poo poo listed on it.

...but hey, it keeps bringing $$$ to my company, so whateves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Snipe posted:

Forgive me...

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Sniep posted:

why did you change the spelling in my name when you quoted me

I'm developing grampa fingers :(. I'm lucky I can hit click the "Submit Reply" button without accidentally formatting my computer in the process.

Also I feel all of Logitech's quality has gone to crap in the past 8 or so years. I have a Performance MX and its buttons have all worn in addition to the metal trim developing this weird corrosion. The Harmony remote I have is actively trying to self destruct itself in new an unique ways every week (and I baby that thing). I love the fact I spent well over $100 on it when I got it a few years back, and yet the Curtis Mathis remote that came with my parents 25 year old TV still worked until they threw it out.

I miss my Intellimouse Explorer. I'd probably still be using it if the scroll wheel hadn't gone all Skynet on me. Microsoft's keyboard and mice were perfect back when and yet somehow they found a way to gently caress that up.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Remember when they started putting "F-Lock" keys on keyboards for a while, and if you didn't turn it on before hitting any of the Function- keys random poo poo would happen?

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

qirex posted:

You guys are right, of course. I'm just being a dumb fool and trying to save some face. I backed the wrong horse and I feel like an absolute jackass now. My friend once bet me that the PS3 would overtake the 360 after 3 years on market and I mocked the sh*t out of him after he lost that bet because he was so smug and so confident that it would happen. Karma is f****** real. I know that now. I didn't even care except to rub it in his face and in the faces of people like him. "They'll win cause they're sony and they always win". I call it the sony smugness. F**** annoying.

So after the xb1/ps4 launches, he bet me that ps4 would have a 2:1 edge at the end of 2015. I took that bet and ran. Sure, Microsoft can't f*** this sh*t up that badly, can they? They had the drat dudebro's eating out of their drat hands. Holy sh*t. I was their #1 motherf**** fan. I deserve this because I couldn't take the high road when I won that initial bet. This sh** is PS2 vs. XB all over again drat. 125mil + to probably 38 mil if they're lucky. They're gonna 3:1 these asses. Now he's gonna have that sh** grin wide as the f***** mississippi when I see him in a couple months.

Sure they could maybe pull a "kinect" out of their asses again to make it more respectable but that's a long shot at best. These guys. These f******* guys. DRM. poo poo hardware. F***** the indies early and often. Being cheap as f***** where it counted. Spending assloads of benjamins on NFL and other TV sh** no one gives two sh** about. $499 and mandatory kinect? Are you sh***** me? Where's the hidden cameras? Input One? How about Input None you epic friggin' fools. Now they're trying to play catch up like a fat man tryin' to catch a runaway dog. Lassie's long gone home muthaf****.

Sony's got you beat in every facet that matters: games, price, power, brand, mindshare, etc, etc. et muthaf**** c. You did this. You deserve all of this. You could have paid someone to come up with the worst possible way to launch a follow up console to the 360 and he wouldn't be able to come up with half the f*** up sh** they ended up with. Holy sh**. Unbelievable. I'm done.

Don Mattrick says you're welcome!

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

quote:

The news that Microsoft would be rename its Bing content apps with the MSN brand was met immediately with the resistance I expected from the Windows community. But if you step back and think about it for a moment, this rebranding—and the resultant relaunch of MSN as a web-based portal for all of the information that backs these wonderful apps—actually makes sense. MSN, after all, is Microsoft's online content brand, and Bing is about search. Put another way, MSN is Microsoft's Yahoo, and Bing is Microsoft's Google.

Can we rename the thread?

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
The DLC will probably be something lame that you would be able to do for free on the PC like a skin... :catstare:
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Minecraft-Skin-Pack-6-Released-Xbox-360-64879.html

son of a bitch...

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Satya: "We're letting you go"
ex-employee: "But you just spent 2.5 Billion on Minecraft!"
Satya: "And that was a substantial loss for the company."

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

:zoid: Why not Ballmer? :zoid:

TerminalRaptor fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 18, 2014

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

regularizer posted:

Haven't played a video game in like 6 months but i still waste all my free time, what gives???

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Thanks Ants posted:

if your it dept. don't purchase computers with ssds then lol gently caress your poo poo employer i guess

:( Everytime the new budget rolls around we keep being promised SSDs for our Dev machines, then they are the first thing to get cut because "budgets" :argh:

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

The Management posted:

lol if you can't just ask your boss to expense you an SSD to get your drat job done

To be fair I don't "need" it. I just want it :devil:

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
MBAs:

John Smith went to college for football where he excelled. He scored perfect on his football theory course final exam. He knows every play and rule by heart. In football tactics he devised several plays that his professor said were the mark of a true savant. He spent a semester course abroad interviewing various famous NFL players on their theories and tactics. His senior seminar made national news. Yes Jon Smith graduated at the top of his football class.

It was no surprise that upon graduation he was immediately drafted by the Dallas Cowboys as their new star quarter back. Despite John Smith never having actually played a day of football in his life, the coach and owner knew that with his credentials he'd be a winner.

John Smith is 5'2 and 130 lbs.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
So I just found out yesterday that our MSDN access allows us to have copies of Visual Studio, Office, Etc for our home PCs despite being told before it didn't. Turns out our IS department is concerned about :filez: (despite the fact our license with MS specifically allows this) and has been hiding this fact from the entire development department. Our rep at MS is apparently going to be contacting them and telling them that 'its kind of going against the licensing' to be hiding this from us. Think about that...

I'm a little livid about this.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Beeftweeter posted:

only 90s kids will remember this thing

lol how do you think i've been running office on yosemite itt

Literally the first thing I would do was turn that poo poo off every time I tried to use a computer with that on it.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

The_Franz posted:

manchildren who never socially developed past the fourth grade

ie. the kind of people who work in offices with ball pits and slides

We just have a slide. Am I safe? :ohdear:

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Fabricated posted:

why do people care about this stuff when its going to all be shoved into a TV stand

Goldfish mentality. They're not thinking that far ahead.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

[M]ShitBit

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
It's always surprises me when I think about the fact that the MS Nintendo talks were before the Wii came out, at which point Nintendo was printing money for several years.

TerminalRaptor fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jan 4, 2015

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

anthonypants posted:

yeah and microsoft has never really suggested those upgrade paths, they've always wanted you to do a fresh install instead

I've never been able to upgrade from one version of windows to another without weird intermittent poo poo happening afterwards, me getting frustrated, and doing a fresh install a month later like I should have from the start.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Shut up friends! Cortona heard us saying the word metro and she found a movie about metro systems for us. She also started playing Berlin's 'The Metro', and opened my browser to metrogroup.de.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Sagebrush posted:

we have a $45,000 cnc machine manufactured in 2005 that can only receive files via rs-232. i had to find an old windows xp computer to get a copy of hypertrm.exe because all other options for this type of terminal stuff on windows are garbage.

well actually the cnc can also take files in one other format, 1.44mb floppy. but it's kinda pointless because it can't load files directly from the disk, and it only has 1 megabyte of internal memory, so drip-feed over a 20 foot serial cable it is

I can vouch for the esoteric as hell CNC machines. My father was/is a field service engineer and he has plenty of horror stories about the poo poo he's seen. He actually keeps an old laptop around with Windows XP that he swears by, because it's the only thing that can still run certain certain diagnostic tools that were written by brave pioneers unhinged radicals trying out this new MS-DOS operating system.

His least favorite machines? Sometime in the late 90's early 2000's somebody got the idea to create hybrid CNC machines with a Windows front end. They run any version of windows. ANY. "Your machine's not working and it's running Windows NT 3 on a standard HDD that's covered in grease and vibrates all day as the machine tools parts? Fetch me my soldering iron so I can jam it into my eye!"

Last Fraken-CNC horror story he told me was a customer had a machine running Windows CE. It had a pcmcia slot on it so he thought he could do an easy backup. Plugged in his card and the thing poo poo the bed so bad it wrecked the OS to the point it refused to boot. Awkward conversation with the shop owner about when was the last time they ran a back-up ensued.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
XBox Juan's have been on woot before right? Because they're there now. It's not even a good deal for refurbs.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Shaggar posted:

wpf isn't deprecated

Shagger will argue out that it's not deprecated in the sense that Microsoft is going to take it out back and Old Yeller it. Which is technically correct, as they're going the route of grandpa in the nursing home, where no one pays attention to it, and they hope to come home one day to a voicemail that it died in its sleep.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

anthonypants posted:

there was one for office, too. and it did so well, they made a sequel

I'm the video on the news page that is unavailable due to ""...a copyright claim by USClippyPaperclip. "

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
This probably belongs in the programmer thread, but microsoft.txt:

So I rarely program at home, but there's a little project I wanted to do for a while and I figured what the hell I might learn something. I fire up visual studio express and get cranking. Well the API I want to talk to is a REST web service and they use some flavor of the week framework (Firebase) for it so I go looking for some examples on how to talk to it from .Net. I find a few codeproject example and download a sample project. The project won't open however and I realize my copy of VS Express is old (2010) so I download 2013 Express. To my dismay the project still won't open, and I figure it's because it needs some feature of the full edition (probably NuGet). I'm a little miffed because I should have access to Pro from home through my works MSDN license, but that's a separate story. I had thought I had read something recently about MS allowing add-ins and extensions to work in the free edition of Visual Studio so I do some searching and discover Community Edition. Why the hell does Express edition still exist then? I download it and try to get to work understanding the example project.

It seems straightforward enough so I start copying chunks of skeleton code over to my project from the sample and am greeted by missing assembly references. I go to add the references and can't find them. "Oh these must exist in the NuGet repository," I think to myself. I've heard a little about NuGet, but haven't had need to use it at work. So I start looking for these libraries and poo poo starts getting real. First, even having the sample project open in another window I can't find some of the assemblies. Turns out they're in a package that's named differently than their namespace. Great loving move MS. Then even after I add everything, the project still won't build because it can't find an extension method (For you non-.Net programming YOSPOSers an extension method is a method that looks like it belongs as a member of an object but can be written by any hamfisted keyboard masher completely independently of the object because programming isn't confusing enough) . Turns out the extension method is buried in a completely different assembly that I have to hunt down in NuGet. The ONLY reason I was able to find the assembly the extension method was in was because I had the sample project open and could go to the definition. poo poo still refuses to build because now I have an assembly conflict. Turns out some of the libraries (Microsoft assemblies) referenced different versions of another library and when something in the program went to reflect and load it up, it couldn't find the right version. So now I have to learn to how to get NuGet to pull a specific version of said package (DLL Hell 2.0).

As a bonus kicker, as I was looking at the sample program I saw a class with a method defined on it that wasn't used by anything. It seemed to contain important configuration information, but there was no interface definition on the class, and the method wasn't even registered as a delegate anywhere. The class was used as a type on a generic class method (Microsoft.Owin.Hosting). I was morbidly curious, so in my app I omitted this method and sure enough I got a "EntryPointNotFound" exception at runtime. Yep, somehow we've regressed in programming to not require an interface on a class or even registering poo poo to an eventhandler. All of this poo poo was using Microsoft written assemblies. :unsmith:

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Shaggar posted:

if ur doing a webapi client project all you gotta do is start a new project and add webapi client package from nuget

Which I eventually figured out, but not before going through that whole dance routine. I understand why they're doing it, but from my end it feels like a whole step backwards from the previous framework deployment model. The part that floored me was using reflection to perform discovery and load class information instead of enforcing something sane like an interface. It makes it an absolute nightmare to try and understand/learn what is happening when you see code is executing and you've never tied it into anything.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

I need a minimum of 12MBs of RAM to run that, are you nuts?

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
try using Lync over remote desktop and watch how miserable an app can be without actually crashing. my biggest beef with it right now is when it gives me "missed conversations" in my e-mail despite the fact I was very much there for the conversation. even better is when I open the conversation and it apparently includes everything we've talked about in the past week.

now I have to go cj my home computer because I just discovered 20 gigs of temporary files windows never cleaned up...

e: just learned about this gem:

quote:

The component store will show a large directory size because of how the Windows Explorer shell accounts for hard links. The Windows shell will count each reference to a hard link as a single instance of the file for each directory in which the file resides. For example, if a file that is named advapi32.dll is 700 KB and is contained in the component store and in the \Windows\system32 directory, Windows Explorer would inaccurately report that the file consumes 1,400 KB of hard disk space.

TerminalRaptor fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 29, 2015

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKricIeeru0

The music almost nobody heard because their speakers or drivers weren't installed the first time they booted XP.

e: and i just had my mind blown:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KYfRwNzeFs

TerminalRaptor fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 4, 2015

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

The tonal disconnect of seeing that in search and nothing else like it in the entire rest of the OS must have been the result of some amazing management slapfight.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Blue Screen Zone

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

univbee posted:

"Disable password changes: Enable" :psyduck:

someplace, somewhere, a business demanded this in a fashion that would make a 2 years old temper tantrum more preferable.

fake e:
I sadly realized a valid case for requiring this would be if you had a kiosk type setup and you didn't want some l33t 13-year old hacker waling up changing it and locking everyone out.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

LastInLine posted:

these right here are the words that come from someone who has dealt with poo poo ui so long theyve just internalized it

You have no idea :(

(Enterprise Software)

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Beeftweeter posted:

so all the windows updates finished and it rebooted my vm into a black screen. if i reset it i get the normal windows boot logo and then it just boots into blackness, everything i've tried just results in a black screen

gj ms this will definitely be ready to ship in 6 weeks

that's just their new minimalistic UI

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
welp,

this just started showing up on my win 7 machine today

I assume it was from the update that was discussed a while back. it showed up as a taskbar icon

the end is nigh

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Cardboard Box A posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/3/8717951/skype-crash-http-error

Receiving a message on the Microsoft-owned platform containing the characters "http://:" was reported to crash the software when running on Windows, Android, or iOS... The bug is especially annoying as users can't even be free of it by deleting their chat history: Skype simply re-downloads this data from the cloud and when the program restarts, it spots the troublesome characters and crashes all over again. A workaround for Windows users (found, again, on Skype's community forums) suggests asking the person who sent you the message to delete it, and then installing an older version of Skype instead.

:eyepop:

if only this affected Skype for Bidness I could have some fun at work tomorrow.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

anthonypants posted:

and they think getting rid of npapi means chrome is getting rid of plugins altogether. please do not visit ars technica

at this point is there any web page YOSPOSers allowed to visit?

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Nintendo has backwards compat down so well even controllers from two generations ago still work with their current console.

I mean, they can't do much else right, but they got that going for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

univbee posted:

for gc controllers i think it only works for smash, and not for anything else

most wii u games are a random clusterfuck of which types of controllers they will and won't support

whoops, you're right. I was over at a friend's party the other day and he had smash running with wavebirds. I assumed they worked in other games as well.

• Locked thread