Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Ocrassus posted:

To be fair I have been considering a surface pro 2.

Only to use as a graphics tablet though, it has a built in screen which I much prefer on graphics tabs and I tend to work on one of those cheap Wacom bamboo things ATM.

ive never used a surface 2 but i have used the surface 1 at work and if its anything remotely similar its exactly what you would expect from a windows tablet ui and NOT a graphics tablet with screen like a cintiq

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

pram posted:

WHAT IF YOUR WEBSITE ONLY SUPPORTS A 12 YEAR OLD BROWSER MACFAGS

literally the reason many workplaces prolly dont have macs

cuz HR sharepoint apps need IE6

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i think the cloud is in my butt because *farrrts*

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
there were just tiny poo poo speckles in my cloud i delivered

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
"...when asked among question groups of 7 year olds when asked "Would you rather play atari or xbox?""

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

PleasureKevin posted:

if only there was some way to bring the existing cloud into the home... ?

is it as much fun to "be your own cloud" as it is to "be your own bank"? weird that it takes less GPUs to run your own loving cloud...

the what now

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

pram posted:

printing the killer app of 2k14

i like how the big ideas for msft are things apple could just stop intentionally making hard with 0 effort in response to

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

infernal machines posted:

requiring airprint for 100% print compatibility and zero-config printing isn't really making things hard for anyone but poo poo-tier printer manufacturers

while this is true, it is also poo poo easy for apple to just say "sorry vendors, while airprint is great yadda yadda, read pg. 1285 pph 5 section 4 where we say if in conditions we need to.... yea.. we're now providing base drivers for all common make/models of wifi enabled printers.. sorry"

it'd be a new line in the settings app under general "Printers" to set up a printer by hand instead of having airprint. woopdiedoo

still will prolly be better than msft's version

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

since they actually license airprint, there is slightly less than any reason for apple to do this.

but yeah, it'd be nice

true, i'm just saying, if for whatever reason it ever came to the point where microsoft had a TV ad "And it works with all printers, not just 'certain ones' *camera pan to sad dog looking at a laser printer*", apple could shut that poo poo down in 0.1 seconds.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

mod sassinator posted:

will desktop machines even matter in 5 years? i would wager 90% of jobs that have a computer right now will be on an ipad or android tablet

true story im on vacay this week but i got an email that my work is forcing me now to have a laptop since i work from home, whole team im in (like 4 people) are getting this treatment

blahhh i dont want to carry another labtop

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

computer parts posted:

they'll be replaced by thin clients if anything

so good/okay for microsoft, bad for pc manufacturers

how long are they going to try and beat that horse

thin clients are already in widespread use for where they work

i.e. bank teller terminals, call center workers, data entry farms, library computers, etc

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

computer parts posted:

there's still a fair ways they can go

my university mostly has desktops for their open access labs but they've been slowly migrating to thin clients, and plus they have an online component so you can stream a windows desktop to finish up a visio diagram or a spreadsheet

guess who in university also had a thin client as a lab workstation

me

it was a full on unix workstation that was simply a 'thin' client despite its for the time massive graphics and memory inside

i was at an automotive engineering school, a fairly respected one at the time

the seat licenses for the apps i did CAD in on a unix workstation acting purely as a thin client were absurd amounts of money for me to sit and use those 'thin clients' which by all desciptions they were

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
im just saying, evaluate what you think is a 'thin client'

i know HP and all are totally sold on this one take on it but sometimes thin clients require a lot of horsepower too, and they are still 100% 'cloud' driven with no function beside as a client

the thinner they get, the less intensive the tasks involved

it's a delineation between 'client machines' in purpose, and user desktops. if the users actually have real need for an actual desktop, then they should get one, and forcing a client machine on them doesnt make sense. if it's a rote job that is simply to interact with x, be it internet access or just getting to an old AS/400, , 'thin clients' or full client machines are desirable.

to tldr the poo poo, if the users get insulted by using a client machine then its probably the wrong choice

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

mod sassinator posted:

same, we had thin clients at a big state university 15 years ago. it was great for us in CS because we just ssh'ed into a shell account (run on big Sun servers, lol) and hacked around anyway. for everyone else it sucked pretty hard

exactly.

if you were in it with the right reasons you knew what was up

on the other hand, if you mandate that thin clients are going to replace PCs in an environment that's not purely entry level type poo poo, you're probably an rear end in a top hat and likely not going to see the returns you seek

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

FMguru posted:

i think it means you can only work at a contract position for 18 months, and then you will be let go, and you cant be rehired for that position or any other position at msft for 6 months

seems nuts but i bet its some legal sleight of hand to keep temps from claiming benefits or raises or some poo poo. probably also a way to turn even more work over to h1bs and offshores

it would be real cool if that loophole got closed btw

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Base Emitter posted:

apparently agency temps ("a-dashes") have had this policy since the temp lawsuit, to make sure nobody mistakes the peasants for real employees

the new policy also applies to onsite vendor employees ("v-dashes") which like for example dell sales or maintenance guys and poo poo like that. why microsoft would be worried about any of those people after all this time i have no idea but bosses gonna boss

gonna lol when some data center falls over and catches fire when some obscure v-dash nobody knew about takes his finger out of the dike for his six month furlough.

this happens afaik

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

pram posted:

this is my preferred microsoft thread

the hints of urine and accents of fecal matter are so delicate it's hard for my palate to distinguish between them

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
thanks, to those who now just got the fact that there are two threads about microsoft, and comment a lot now about how there are two threads, and even better - post the identical thing in both threads now because pram did it and he's a good poster so let's be like that and just post the same stupid bullshit copy-paste style in both threads!

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

echinopsis posted:

im not reall sure if pram is a good poster, or if his posting is just frequent enough that it's become a homely sign. like your doormat at your house. i wouldn't say it was a good doormat but GOD drat if it doesn't mean you've just gotten home after a hard day of slog

prams posting is on a level that is so far beyond your comprehension that your ridiculous analogy only highlights your own ineptitude

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

flakeloaf posted:

hey look a bing that finds things

hey i am generally not a fan of microsoft's products but often i find bing to be superior over google imho

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
it's not that microsoft has any real relevant level of excellence or even competence with bing

it's that google keeps making GBS threads up their results worse and worse and worse and bing is relatively unfiltered

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

don't try to use bing! to find technet documents

what's a technetium document

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

the ms office team continues to own

seriously

the simple fact that MS own products for their competitors outpaces products for their own products in functionality speaks volumes about the internal lack of focus and direction

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

univbee posted:

apple: "what the gently caress is a microsoft? block this poorly-coded poo poo!"

once again, tim is correct

more like

microsoft: "gently caress paying apple to sign our installer package that's horseshit, our users are perfectly fine getting around the limitations WE put in to windows, surely mac users are too"

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

univbee posted:

are you suggesting microsoft doesn't know its userbase or how they use computers?

:monocle:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

just a reminder that microsoft's last ui innovation before the ribbon was "smart menus"

basically, "gently caress your muscle memory, these menus are a mess, so let's dynamically rearange your access to features and functions on the fly". we'll hide poo poo at random based on whatever you used last, ensuring you spend twice as much time unhiding and searching for stuff

in context, the ribbon was an improvement

it's all they are doing which is throwing darts at a board so hard they pierce it and become products

"okay one of these times we're gonna hit at least ipod level this time alright?"

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
do microsoft stores actually sell computes yet or just surfaces and windows phones

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Pinterest Mom posted:

they've always sold computers

and one of the rules is actually that vendors aren't allowed to put crapware on pcs sold in ms stores so it's the best place to buy a windows

thats weird the microsoft store near me didnt sell any, just surface tablet computers and phones

and then they downsized from an apple store size to a kart in the walkway like the dudes trying to sell those little helecopters, or all the shiny tin foil things you hang from a ceiling, or shirts that have meme faces on them and bold punchlines like "step back bro!" and "For the lose!"

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i found charms out by accident on our surface unit at work

how is a user supposed to infer that you're supposed to do that? there's not even little drawer pull tabs like on the iphone

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

duTrieux. posted:

the first time a user logs into widows 8 there's a long, obnoxious, and unskippable "how to use windows 8 with a mouse" thing

oh wow

this was on a surface tho not a desktop so no mouse

also i didn't unbox it or anything so if there were any forced tutorial shits i missed them

i dont recall the ipad having a tutorial tho

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

twenty eight us dollars

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

pram posted:

yes. lol

just me or does that look kinda nazi-esque

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
nah just something about the stripe on it looks like hitler uniforms

like s/blue/red and s/windows logo/swastika and that's what i see

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
what do they not make mx518s anymore?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
why did you change the spelling in my name when you quoted me

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
pram your posting was way better with your old av

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
orange and blue :rolleyes:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

homo punching bag posted:

can you even trade in an xbone at gamestop?? would they even accept it or are u just stuck with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i thought surfaces were supposed to be like a coffee table piece of furnature with a huge touch screen that you could put your coffee cup on and do crazy poo poo

• Locked thread